Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

[-4] Flaw: Heart Broken - Tehk is extremely lonely. The Gay Empire's ultimate weapon finds it hard to have time for love.
Summer is here so out goes my DJ console, and it is replaced with a work area for my horde of paintball markers. Oh and I am finally living like poo poo thanks to the pink cutout I used to cover up the huge hole I kicked into the bottom of my dry wall last week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

tehk posted:

Summer is here so out goes my DJ console, and it is replaced with a work area for my horde of paintball markers. Oh and I am finally living like poo poo thanks to the pink cutout I used to cover up the huge hole I kicked into the bottom of my dry wall last week.

Pretty sure "Living like poo poo" only applies to people who have messy wires, and yours are tidy as poo poo.

Living like a king.

CubanRefugee
Jul 1, 2003

El Jefe
Reppin' the Row since '26.

Centipeed posted:

Pretty sure "Living like poo poo" only applies to people who have messy wires, and yours are tidy as poo poo.

Living like a king.

Well, it's a pink wall patch, so living like a princess.
In all seriousness, nice job on the cable management, tehk.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Not overly thrilled with it, but it will do

Boo This Man
Mar 25, 2008

feraltennisprodigy posted:

I've made some changes to my hideout since the last time, so I took some new photos:

PC, Samsung monitor (Syncmaster T260HD), Logitech T40 v2 speakers (with the covers on right now), iPad.

The rest of the room:

New TV (Samsung LE40C535, known as LN40C530 overseas if I recall correctly) on top of an old chest. Plan to get a small TV table or something to hold the Xbox 360 and various other media stuff (like my PS3), the 360 is just on a small table/chair thing for now.

Books and poo poo - 1 2 3 4 5

Games and movies - 1 2 3 (that spindle is full of old PC games I didn't keep the covers for, and before you ask: no, I did not pay for Firestarter and Project Snowblind :colbert:)

Wow, you have alot of books on World War 2 and Hitler.

benitocereno
Apr 14, 2005

Doctor Rope

Boo This Man posted:

Wow, you have alot of books on World War 2 and Hitler.

He even has cartoon books on Hitler.

While I think his book collection is questionable, but there's no doubting the pure strength of will of his ikea POÄNG.

feraltennisprodigy
May 29, 2008

'sup :buddy:
I certainly have a lot of books about World War 2, but only two of them are about Hitler - the two-volume biography by Kershaw. They're mostly about the Eastern Front.

There's been a few changes since I took those photos, traded in a large chunk of my console games and gave away a lot of books (sci-fi, fantasy and various older ones I'd lost interest in).

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I

As nice as my wallet can afford I guess.

HandsomeBen
Nov 23, 2006

There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well
I just wanted to thank this thread. I will be driving down to Ikea in Pittsburgh this weekend and picking up a Galant with T legs and possibly a new chair if I can find one I like that doesn't break the bank. I have a lovely glass top desk now that is falling apart a long with my chair. I don't have the space for what I really want, Galant corner desk with two extensions. Someday...someday.

I measured and it's going to be massive so I'm contemplating just putting my tower and everything else on top instead of underneath. Not sure about the speaker sub yet though, it makes a nice foot rest.

mrk
Jan 14, 2004

what the f/2.8 is going on here!
The small dent on one of my Mordaunt-Short drivers put me off so much I decided to upgrade speakers and sell these but then I noticed a dent on the freaking tweeter and almost facepalmed through my head.

Anyway, new speakers are in, Tannoy Mercury V4. They're a lot richer in bass and the imaging is very spacious, you feel like you're in a live sitting more than the Mordaunt-Short range of speakers and they were pretty badass for imaging.

I auditioned Wharfedale and mission speakers with various music and the Tannoys were by far the best. A lot of speaker for £350!

I also tok home some Cambridge Audio S70 speakers and while they were meaty they lacked any spacious sound or detail in the highs so were very fatiguing after a while. They went right back for a swap!

Some hellish cabling is censored out, to protect the children of course. The speakers are about 30cm away from the wall and the table corners do not affect the sound as the lower woofers are for the bass anyway, mids at top :)

mrk fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Jun 7, 2011

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

mrk posted:

The small dent on one of my Mordaunt-Short drivers ... noticed a dent on the freaking tweeter ...

... richer in bass and the imaging is very spacious ... live sitting ... pretty badass for imaging.

I auditioned Wharfedale and mission speakers ...

... while they were meaty they lacked any spacious sound or detail in the highs so were very fatiguing after a while ...

How much of these are necessary technical terms, and how much of it is stuff audiophiles have invented to sound more impressive to other audiophiles?

Purely out of interest, you understand.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

It's like coffee cupping or wine tasting. There is a level of sensory perception that so few people care about, there are not specific words to describe the sensation. The best people can do is relate the sensation to common experiences.

It's also kind of like stoned people saying "I know exactly what you mean"

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!
Why is it so difficult to find an attractive and useful computer desk? I'm going to wind up with a Galant again - should have never sold it.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Centipeed posted:

How much of these are necessary technical terms, and how much of it is stuff audiophiles have invented to sound more impressive to other audiophiles?

I dislike audiophiles as much as the next guy, but everything he's saying makes sense. The spaciousness he's talking about is easy to explain. If you've ever listened to really, really good studio monitors, you can hear that they are so accurate/sensitive/whatever that you can hear very subtle aspects of a recording you otherwise wouldn't be able to with regular old stereo speakers. Things like panning and reverb on individual instruments becomes more pronounced, and because of that, your brain is more easily tricked into thinking those particular instruments occupy a specific space somewhere in front of you. In a nutshell, the more reverb an instrument has, the farther away it sounds. Panning should be obvious in its intended effect. That is usually what is meant when people say things like "stereo imaging."

There's also something to the ear fatiguing thing, too. Namely, some speakers sound louder and more prominent at particular frequencies, so over time, that spike that's louder than everything else is going to grate on your ears. Speakers that are more flat in their frequency response are going to be easier on your ears over time because they don't have frequency spikes as prominent as other speakers.

"Meaty" probably just describes more prominent, but not overbearing bass frequencies.

That's all I got. Sorry about the derail.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jun 7, 2011

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

vty posted:

Why is it so difficult to find an attractive and useful computer desk? I'm going to wind up with a Galant again - should have never sold it.

Because attractive computer desks themselves are a pain. I tried a bunch of more attractive, less worksation centric desks and none of them fit the bill as well as my ikea one. I realized good functional work desks tend to not be wow inducing because you want everything about them except the surface to get out of your way. All the good ones I have used look more or less the same, some kind of simple t or L legs and a whole lot of top.

That said stuff like the geekdesk add stuff like electronic lift which is nice if you are in the market for a convertible standing desk and you have the cash.

mrk
Jan 14, 2004

Centipeed posted:

I understand where you're coming from (or going) with that post but if you are trying to tell me that there's not an important difference between speakers then I have to call you up on that and say you're quite wrong!

I know everyone is different and a lot of people won't care if one speaker sounds better or worse than another and will merely get what's in their budget but the sound quality difference is completely there and you only have to sit with them and flick between them to hear the differences.

Edit*
What GreatGreen said in fact! I wouldn't call myself an audiphile, I don't spend all my money on headphones, cables and speakers. I would call myself a lover of music and accurate music at that and because of this I have a certain requirement when it comes to listening to that music, that I should be able to hear the fine details clearly and with the feeling of the artist being in front of me rather than coming out of a speaker when I close my eyes regardless of how many hours I have been sitting there!

Edit2*
Like at work and other places whenever someone shouts out "lol audiphile fag!" or words to that effect I always say that if you live close by then drop on by for a cup of tea and you can hear them for yourself and then tell me I'm wrong :-)

mrk fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jun 7, 2011

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Juriko posted:

Because attractive computer desks themselves are a pain. I tried a bunch of more attractive, less worksation centric desks and none of them fit the bill as well as my ikea one. I realized good functional work desks tend to not be wow inducing because you want everything about them except the surface to get out of your way. All the good ones I have used look more or less the same, some kind of simple t or L legs and a whole lot of top.

This. I've tried a whole slew of desks with shelves, monitor cubbies, keyboard trays, underslung case racks, but they all never measure up to a big slab of wood on legs. That's it. A perfect desk is a massive surface, and nothing else.

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer

mrk posted:

How'd you ingeniously mount your receiver underneath your desk? I currently have a huge rear end receiver sitting on top of my desk and it's taking up way too much desk space...

edit: unless it's sitting on top of something... can't tell from the photo

krnhotwings fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jun 8, 2011

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!
It looks to be on a wooden stool of some sort, can barely see it. I can only see it because my 28" monitor is powered by a thousand suns that burns every pixel into my retinas 24/7.

mrk
Jan 14, 2004

It's a 2 shelf mini tabletop thing from Argos, cost £10 :p

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

vty posted:

I nearly bought this the other day:

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

mrk posted:

I understand where you're coming from (or going) with that post but if you are trying to tell me that there's not an important difference between speakers then I have to call you up on that and say you're quite wrong!

I know everyone is different and a lot of people won't care if one speaker sounds better or worse than another and will merely get what's in their budget but the sound quality difference is completely there and you only have to sit with them and flick between them to hear the differences.

Oh god, I would never suggest that there's no difference between "Good" and "Average" speakers, or however the expensive and cheap ones are categorised.

I just always find the terminology amusing, and I know that some enthusiasts (But possibly not audio enthusiasts) do throw out words to sound smarter.

It reminded me of all of the technical terms in cinema, which are just English words for various things translated into French. When I heard an English "expert" call the early French film scene "L'age du cinema", I found it ludicrous.

mrk
Jan 14, 2004

I get you! But without using those words what alternative words are there? :D

Do note that I am British, so my choice of wording will no doubt sound doubly strange to most here :p

But as someone has already mentioned, I haven't sensationalised anything at all!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Centipeed posted:

When I heard an English "expert" call the early French film scene "L'age du cinema", I found it ludicrous.

...Except that that's actually what the people participating in that movement called the period of time in which they were working, so the title is more of a reference to a specific point and a body of work than an attempt to sound highfalutin.

Do you also 'sperg out when people refer to the Fifteenth Century as the Renaissance or the latter half of the Eighteenth Century as The Age of Enlightenment?

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jun 9, 2011

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Electric Bugaloo posted:

...Except that that's actually what the people participating in that movement called the period of time in which they were working, so the title is more of a reference to a specific point and a body of work than an attempt to sound highfalutin.

Do you also 'sperg out when people refer to the Fifteenth Century as the Renaissance or the latter half of the Eighteenth Century as The Age of Enlightenment?

I did not know that they referred to it as "L'age du cinema" at the time, so consider me corrected!

The reason I don't feel the same way about "Renaissance" or "The Age of Enlightenment", though, is that "L'age du cinema" obviously translates to "The age of cinema", and if an Englishman called it that instead there would be no meaning lost, at least in my eyes.

It seemed to me when I first heard it that they were just speaking in French to sound more impressive, but now I realise that they are simply quoting the French men at the time who were instrumental in cinema's inception.

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled

Centipeed posted:

I did not know that they referred to it as "L'age du cinema" at the time, so consider me corrected!

The reason I don't feel the same way about "Renaissance" or "The Age of Enlightenment", though, is that "L'age du cinema" obviously translates to "The age of cinema", and if an Englishman called it that instead there would be no meaning lost, at least in my eyes.

It seemed to me when I first heard it that they were just speaking in French to sound more impressive, but now I realise that they are simply quoting the French men at the time who were instrumental in cinema's inception.

Well, there are a lot if other legitimate film terms that sound fancy, but that's just how film vocabulary developed. Also I believe it's common for film professors to come from an English background. (ours did)

Post your desktop: I really dig your mise en scene, bro.

Reivax
Apr 24, 2008
My setup, pretty happy with it at the moment, although I might get a second monitor sometime soon.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
I know the Hardforum can get a little ridiculous sometimes with people there building $5,000 PCs every 6 months and all, but drat if they don't have some neat "show your rigs" threads. Thanks to that place, I have never wanted a triple monitor setup so bad in my life now. I have absolutely no need for a triple monitor setup, and if I had one, I have a feeling I'd probably never get laid again. But still... they just look so awesome.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jun 9, 2011

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Reivax posted:

My setup, pretty happy with it at the moment, although I might get a second monitor sometime soon.

Ahh yes I see that you also work in IT

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled

GreatGreen posted:

I know the Hardforum can get a little ridiculous sometimes with people there building $5,000 PCs every 6 months and all, but drat if they don't have some neat "show your rigs" threads. Thanks to that place, I have never wanted a triple monitor setup so bad in my life now. I have absolutely no need for a triple monitor setup, and if I had one, I have a feeling I'd probably never get laid again. But still... they just look so awesome.

You mean HardOCP, right? I went there out of curiousity and holy poo poo these people are morons.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1609234

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

glompix posted:

You mean HardOCP, right? I went there out of curiousity and holy poo poo these people are morons.

Yeah, that's the place. I'm not saying the people there are smart or anything, but they do post pictures of some pretty awesome setups sometimes.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

glompix posted:

Are there any decent hardware forums? :v:

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

BlackMK4 posted:

Are there any decent hardware forums? :v:

No, because it gets all about one upsmanship. SA is the most decent I've seen, like the parts picking megathread, and that is because there are a core of people to stomp out overbuilding and help people build a workable pc.

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled

GreatGreen posted:

Yeah, that's the place. I'm not saying the people there are smart or anything, but they do post pictures of some pretty awesome setups sometimes.

Then you should post links because I'm not wading through that mess. I like looking at desks and stuff. :)

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh
here's some monitors for you guys if you don't want to wade through poo poo at hardocp - i sit on the right and portrait mode is amazing

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

glompix posted:

Then you should post links because I'm not wading through that mess. I like looking at desks and stuff. :)

Here's a link to the thread. There's some great stuff in there.

Here's one. I like this one.

Here's anothern. I like this one, too.

Again, I have no use for 3 monitors plus a file server monitor above them, but drat.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jun 10, 2011

Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.

GreatGreen posted:

Again, I have no use for 3 monitors plus a file server monitor above them, but drat.

Hey case buddy!

Does your top fan spin wildly on boot and make tons of noise for like the first 1-5 minutes?

edit: Realized it's not your computer :( nvm

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Cizzo posted:

Hey case buddy!

Does your top fan spin wildly on boot and make tons of noise for like the first 1-5 minutes?

I'm sad to say that the above pics are not of my setups. You can thank Hardforum for those.

But to answer your question anyway ( :v: ) I use an Antec P183, which also has a fan on top, and it doesn't make any noise at all!

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

GreatGreen posted:

I want to go to there. How I can get go?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

[-4] Flaw: Heart Broken - Tehk is extremely lonely. The Gay Empire's ultimate weapon finds it hard to have time for love.
Wish I had the need for a third monitor mounted above center like that guys, but I hardly use my iMac monitor anymore and keep it only for symmetries sake. Two 27 inch displays just wouldn't look right. Maybe I need to invent problems to convince myself to snag another cinema display to mount above.

A tip for those of us who are adding and removing gear weekly, buy cableyoyos for all you devices. You can stick like 10 knobs under your desk and just yank gear out easily when you need to move it. Also mounting cable tracks along the length of the desk workout great for those of us with a ton of poo poo.