Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fleetwood75
Sep 30, 2002

frozenphil posted:

History

If you don’t know the entire history of the Mustang, read the Wikipedia page for a very good accounting of the history of the car.

Coming next week: My own take on the history of the Mustang (64-04)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Fleetwood75 posted:

Coming next week: My own take on the history of the Mustang (64-04)

I'm quivering with excitement!

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
In The Beginning, there was Lee Iacocca...

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
In trying to help that guy with his Ford parts questions, I saw that Tousley was selling the Boss intake manifold for $374. Would that and a tune be a viable combo, or would the traditional stuff make more sense? I guess this is assuming the owner would welcome a higher-revving motor.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

In trying to help that guy with his Ford parts questions, I saw that Tousley was selling the Boss intake manifold for $374. Would that and a tune be a viable combo, or would the traditional stuff make more sense? I guess this is assuming the owner would welcome a higher-revving motor.

Sure, you're just going to see a loss of around 20hp until around 6k RPM on an otherwise stock vehicle.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Daily driver, 3955lbs curb weight, stock suspension, stock transmission, stock rear (other than gears), 9.4 in the quarter all day every day.

http://youtu.be/QcDEMvct_Bk

These cars are pretty special.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Slow is Fast posted:

You mean it shuts off early at the pump?

If that's the case, my dads car does it. Turns out its a huge problem and a PITA to fix. Solution? He just turns the nozzle sideways at the pump. Go figure.

Blow the tank vent lines out with compressed air, spiders get in them and block up the works making the nozzle click off early.

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

frozenphil posted:

Daily driver, 3955lbs curb weight, stock suspension, stock transmission, stock rear (other than gears), 9.4 in the quarter all day every day.

http://youtu.be/QcDEMvct_Bk

These cars are pretty special.

Where did the extra weight come from? I thought the 2011's were in the 3700 lb. range with the auto transmission?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

ApathyGifted posted:

Where did the extra weight come from? I thought the 2011's were in the 3700 lb. range with the auto transmission?

Must be supercharger, driver, and gas.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

ApathyGifted posted:

Full option premium package cars are coming in around that weight from what I have seen, but they have all been weighed with driver and they all have superchargers and such.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Finally after almost 11 weeks... Lava red!

http://imgur.com/a/2R9rB

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

mcmagic posted:

Such a hard color to photograph, but it looks killer in person.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

mcmagic posted:

Congrats, that's a sick color.

Aberroyc
Jul 12, 2007

mcmagic posted:

That looks incredible. If I bought the 2012 that was going to be the color of choice for me.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
I really need to go down to the big Ford dealership and see if they have any Lava Red cars in stock. It looks like a really interesting color in photos, and I'm sure it looks better in person.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

CombatWombat posted:

I really need to go down to the big Ford dealership and see if they have any Lava Red cars in stock. It looks like a really interesting color in photos, and I'm sure it looks better in person.

It's like Kona blue. Pictures don't do it justice. It's deep with tons of flake so it changes colors in the light and when the sun catches it just right it looks loving awesome. I saw one on a lot a few weeks ago and it's pretty impressive in person.

Thelonious Drunk
Apr 4, 2002

Aberroyc posted:

That looks incredible. If I bought the 2012 that was going to be the color of choice for me.

I feel like a I'm being pranked. That's not black?

edit: N/M. 19 years on the Internet and I can't be bothered to google "lava red mustang".

Thelonious Drunk fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jun 7, 2011

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

What happens when someone rear ends you at a red light hard enough to smack you into the car in front of you in your brand new 2012 Mustang GT?

Not much really.

A little paint transfer

There's actually a slight crinkle in the front bumper, but you can't see it too well in this lovely picture.

Oh yea, and this:

Face full of airbag. Also not pictured, the right muffler is slightly out of alignment.

This is my fathers car and he was understandably pissed. Not sure how far behind the front car he was stopped to get pushed into him, but the guy who initially hit him received the ticket and was supposedly going decently quick. I've been wrecked into a few times in my older cars and never had an airbag go off. It's weird to see a practically pristine looking car with a blown bag. The airbag sensor must have taken a direct hit when the bumper cover was momentarily pushed in?

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Just because the bumper popped back into place doesn't mean the unibody underneath didn't sustain some serious damage. I'd imagine that's what set off the airbag.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I know, that's my fathers main concern now too.

He said the front bumper on the truck that hit him was all hosed up. :smug:

Had to walk around this thing twice before I noticed any of the damage.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Some Random Asshole
Apr 30, 2006

HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS
no lie, i hit a sapling at around 65 in my '06 gt, tore up some bodywork but after hitting a 5" curb at 65 the toe isn't even out on the front end. fucker's a tank.

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Say hello to post-apocalyptic fun!
Grimey Drawer
Just put a hold on a new 2012 V6 Premium, Kona Blue / Charcoal, man tran. Already approved for financing, and got an appointment to go test drive and hopefully drive home a new baby stallion on the weekend of the 18th!

Got X-Plan pricing, and fortunately a dealer in Houston had the one I wanted! (I'm at Fort Polk, Louisiana.) The dealers have poo poo for stock around here.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

thetechnoloser posted:

Just put a hold on a new 2012 V6 Premium, Kona Blue / Charcoal, man tran. Already approved for financing, and got an appointment to go test drive and hopefully drive home a new baby stallion on the weekend of the 18th!

Got X-Plan pricing, and fortunately a dealer in Houston had the one I wanted! (I'm at Fort Polk, Louisiana.) The dealers have poo poo for stock around here.

Awesome choices, man!

Now go ahead and start saving up :thumbsup:

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Say hello to post-apocalyptic fun!
Grimey Drawer

Oh gently caress. Must...Prevent..Urge..To..Bookmark.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

frozenphil posted:

Awesome choices, man!

You are an evil, evil person, frozenphil.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

frozenphil posted:

Awesome choices, man!

It's a shame those kits are for automatics only.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

A.o.D. posted:

It's a shame those kits are for automatics only.

The manual version will be out soon.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

frozenphil posted:

Awesome choices, man!

If I get one of these for my v6 what are the main difference i'll notice? A lot more pickup? Faster top speed? Sorry for the nube questions..

whiskas
May 30, 2005
You'll notice lower gas mileage.

Nait Sirhc
Sep 11, 2001
Decreased rear tire treadlife.

SlimManFat
Nov 12, 2010

RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST
and increased awesome factor.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

mcmagic posted:

If I get one of these for my v6 what are the main difference i'll notice? A lot more pickup? Faster top speed? Sorry for the nube questions..

What difference will you notice from an additional 175HP? Really?

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

frozenphil posted:

What difference will you notice from an additional 175HP? Really?

Eh, that's just a 2000 Saab 9-5 LPT (B235E) when brand new difference. v:v:v

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

You know, you kids really ought to stop getting involved with this stuff.
If the rumors are true, we can expect a global 2014 Mustang that's smaller, lighter, with IRS, and an available turbo four. If this comes true my next car will be another Mustang.

Thelonious Drunk
Apr 4, 2002

Killbot posted:

If the rumors are true, we can expect a global 2014 Mustang that's smaller, lighter, with IRS, and an available turbo four. If this comes true my next car will be another Mustang.

Global?

I hear they're dropping the retro look on this one. I hope that's not true. I was hoping for a progression of styling from the S197 64 1/2-66 cues to a sleeker 69-70 sportsroof silhouette.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

SouthLAnd posted:

It's weird to see a practically pristine looking car with a blown bag. The airbag sensor must have taken a direct hit when the bumper cover was momentarily pushed in?

Airbags are very powerful when deployed at full speed and as a result, using one to stop your face is actually very painful. Earlier cars only can deploy at full speed, so they tend to have a high impact g requirement before deploying since at that point the bag may possibly cause minor injury but it's not going to be as severe as no airbag. Newer systems can deploy at lower pressures and speeds when needed, meaning you can deploy them in a 10mph accident and the benefits wont out weight the costs.

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jun 10, 2011

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Killbot posted:

I bet we'll see it in 2014, but it won't be a 2014 model. The 2015 is going to be the new Mustang and I'd bet money on it. I just don't see ford only going 3 years on the current Mustang. The original SN-95 was only 4 but the new edge went for 6 and the 2005's had until 5 years. I say this model will get 4 years at the least.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Oh yeah, ford probe 2 coming our way built in Mexico.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

You know, you kids really ought to stop getting involved with this stuff.

Elephanthead posted:

Oh yeah, ford probe 2 coming our way built in Mexico.

The hell are you talking about? This car will still have RWD, and as for your "built in Mexico" comment I don't give a drat where it's built as long as it's a decent car.