Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

Jerry Cotton posted:

God drat those are expensive frames. Urban Outfitters seems to have a similar product for €16.

Over on this side of the planet Urban Outfitters has them $15 each (2 for $20 on sale at the moment) and the site I linked has a 3 pack for $39. The prices break down to about the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Malaleb posted:

I can try to explain it better. I just skimmed over this page http://www.audiophilia.com/features/cartridge_setup.htm and I think the correct term for it is the alignment of the cartridge. The headshell on my turntable has slots, and I've never actually done a proper alignment. I've just done trial and error adjusting until it works.

From the look of that guide, it seems like I need to sit down and take the time to do it properly.

It shouldn't actually take more than 5-15 minutes once you get used to it. The lovely part is giving the screws that final fastening after you have the cart all lined-up, without moving the cart. But it's still worth it. If you don't have a protractor, you can download and print out one here: http://www.vinylengine.com/cartridge-alignment-protractors.shtml. I use the Baerwald one - why they call it a 'Stupid' protractor, I don't know.

Even having it almost correctly aligned will sound better than having it incorrectly aligned.

milk teeth
Oct 13, 2009

Jehova posts and the world calls up google.

JehovahsWetness posted:

Highlights of thrift digging over the last week, everything <= $1.
come away with esg? a Fahey record? for a doller each?
how do you pull this stuff?

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
A lot of time and very little competition.

death by computer
Sep 6, 2010

I need some advice here:

I just recently won a competition from EMI Sessions on Facebook, and received two Record Store Day records, the Beach Boys' "Good Vibrations / Heroes and Villains" single, and Deep Purple's "Hush / Speed King" 7" (picture here). The problem is that my record player only has two speeds: 33⅓ and 45 rpm. The Beach Boys single is 78 rpm. So I can't play it. My question is: What is the best method for me to sell this record? I've thought of selling it on eBay, but I figured that if I do that, I'd be lucky if I got a fraction of what it was worth. I've also thought of getting it in to my local record store. What should I do?

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

JehovahsWetness posted:

Extensive perusal of the Real Dude Obituaries

Dancing Potato
May 21, 2007

pimpmaster spaceman posted:

I need some advice here:

I just recently won a competition from EMI Sessions on Facebook, and received two Record Store Day records, the Beach Boys' "Good Vibrations / Heroes and Villains" single, and Deep Purple's "Hush / Speed King" 7" (picture here). The problem is that my record player only has two speeds: 33⅓ and 45 rpm. The Beach Boys single is 78 rpm. So I can't play it. My question is: What is the best method for me to sell this record? I've thought of selling it on eBay, but I figured that if I do that, I'd be lucky if I got a fraction of what it was worth. I've also thought of getting it in to my local record store. What should I do?

Record stores will give you between 30 and 50 % of what they'll sell it for, typically. If you want money, go eBay, although since this is a pretty recent RSD release you might have trouble finding a buyer in the first place since they're still all over the place.

Tiny Faye
Feb 17, 2005

Are you ready for an ORGAN SOLO?!

pimpmaster spaceman posted:

What should I do?

If only there was a subforum in which interested members of the goon community could buy your wares...

http://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=61

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:

JehovahsWetness posted:

So drat jealous

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.

Crimson Sox posted:

Really want to get this, but I haven't seen it online/local shops yet.

Crossposting:

"The Prefuse 73 EP is starting to make its way to more record stores...

Other Music in NYC, Original Vinyl in LA, and End of An Ear Records in Austin are all confirmed to have it.

End of An Ear is willing to do mail order if you call them."

End of An Ear got 40 copies and are now down to around 15. If you want one, call them as soon as possible.

cthulhukid
Jun 1, 2001

Surfingelectrode posted:

End of An Ear got 40 copies and are now down to around 15. If you want one, call them as soon as possible.
I live within walking distance of this place it rules. Actually I just got back from my weekly trip. Scored:
Bedhead - Lepidoptera 10"
Noveller/unFact split 12"
Nadja - Sky Burial 12"
Johann Johannsson - The Miner's Hymns LP

Someone just sold them a load of original SPK and Death In June records. I like them but not $50-$70 like them.

They also do nearly daily youtube updates of flipping through their incoming used stock. It's a pretty sweet way to see if there's anything of interest for their dedicated customers. Do any other stores do this?

TheForgotton
Jun 10, 2001

I'm making a career of evil.
I'm very new to the LP game. A few months back, I was given a promo copy of a gorgeous picture disc from White Orange.

This necessitated finding a turntable. A nice lady at a flea market had a "brand new" Numark USB turntable to sell me for 40 bucks and she even threw in the only record she had: Another Voyage by the Ramsey Lewis Trio. Said turntable did not work when I first plugged it in, but that turned out to be because the drive belt hadn't even been hooked onto the motor yet. The album is a jazz trio with a tiny smattering of funk.

The next two acquisitions are from eBay auctions. Spirit's The Twelve Dreams of Dr. Sardonicus. This is probably my favorite album from the psychedelic scene.

And Triumvirat's Spartacus. These guys were basically the German version of Emerson, Lake & Palmer. This album blows away Brain Salad Surgery in my books.

This morning was spent combing through shelves in the local Salvation Army thrift store. I found seven titles I liked through the sea of Barry Manilow, Mellisa Manchester, and Julio Iglesias, and for seven dollars, they were mine.

Something that I didn't notice until I got home, unfortunately, was that the Jethro Tull and Return to Forever discs are both warped. I'm trying to weigh them down with a stack of books to see if that will help to straighten them out.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

Kaboobi posted:

Posting from last thread:

Someone make this happen for the love of God

I should mention I talked to this guy on e-mail, linked him to this thread and he was pretty tickled by this quote. Anyway, someone make this happen

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Surfingelectrode posted:

Other Music in NYC, Original Vinyl in LA, and End of An Ear Records in Austin are all confirmed to have it.
Pretty sure it is Origami Vinyl, not original vinyl, because on Thursday Origami Vinyl sent me a message that said: "Just got a call from the manager of Flaming Lips. They are sending us 20 copies of the new 12" collab with Prefuse 73 + 5 more copies of the Neon Indian collab! WOOHOO!"

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.

Fritzler posted:

Pretty sure it is Origami Vinyl, not original vinyl, because on Thursday Origami Vinyl sent me a message that said: "Just got a call from the manager of Flaming Lips. They are sending us 20 copies of the new 12" collab with Prefuse 73 + 5 more copies of the Neon Indian collab! WOOHOO!"

You're right... I'm not sure why I typed Original.

Shovelbearer
Oct 11, 2003
Paragon of Lexicon
This is a somewhat arbitrary but fairly representative assortment of my records. In reality, I have a lot more dollar-bin 70s soul records than the percentage in this pic, because I like to sample drums from those records in my beatmaking.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
I'm so bummed I missed out on Starfucker latest album, Reptilians, on clear vinyl.

poo poo's impossible to find these days :smith:

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jun 12, 2011

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

TheForgotton posted:

I'm very new to the LP game. A few months back, I was given a promo copy of a gorgeous picture disc from White Orange.

I have no idea who this group is, but that is a cool disc.

TheForgotton
Jun 10, 2001

I'm making a career of evil.

Mister Kingdom posted:

I have no idea who this group is, but that is a cool disc.
I probably should have posted a link along with the pictures. They have both sides of the LP on their Bandcamp site, though it is really a single edit on the other side. Last I saw, Relapse has it in their webstore for 12 bucks.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

cthulhukid posted:

I live within walking distance of this place it rules. Actually I just got back from my weekly trip. Scored:
Bedhead - Lepidoptera 10"
Noveller/unFact split 12"
Nadja - Sky Burial 12"
Johann Johannsson - The Miner's Hymns LP

unFact (and his collab with Noveller) bored me to death at Neon Marshmallow fest last year, hope the split sounds better. Nice haul otherwise.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Does anybody know if the soundtrack from The Book of Mormon is going to be on vinyl? I did a quick google search and I turned up someone selling a multidisc set of some one reading from the actual book of mormon(which I guess would be interesting from the kitsch factor if I found that for very cheap), but nothing from the play.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jun 12, 2011

Tiny Faye
Feb 17, 2005

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I'm so bummed I missed out on Starfucker latest album, Reptilians, on clear vinyl.

poo poo's impossible to find these days :smith:

Not really. If you want limited runs like that you should subscribe to the record label newsletters of your favorite bands. I pre-ordered mine through the Polyvinyl store for like 17 shipped when it was released.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Tiny Faye posted:

Not really. If you want limited runs like that you should subscribe to the record label newsletters of your favorite bands. I pre-ordered mine through the Polyvinyl store for like 17 shipped when it was released.

What do you mean 'not really'? It is impossible to find after the fact. I knew it was coming out, I knew it was limited but it sold out too soon for me to take advantage of it and is now impossible to find. I am subscribed to the newsletter. No need to be condescending about someone missing a release and lamenting the fact that it's no longer available anywhere.

Geez.

Tiny Faye
Feb 17, 2005

Dissapointed Owl posted:

What do you mean 'not really'? It is impossible to find after the fact. I knew it was coming out, I knew it was limited but it sold out too soon for me to take advantage of it and is now impossible to find. I am subscribed to the newsletter. No need to be condescending about someone missing a release and lamenting the fact that it's no longer available anywhere.

Geez.

Not being condescending - just didn't know if you originally knew where to find it when it came out. It can be tough keeping up with these things.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Tiny Faye posted:

Not being condescending - just didn't know if you originally knew where to find it when it came out. It can be tough keeping up with these things.

Oh sorry. Nah, this time it was my own stupidity that made me miss it. Usually you can always find a copy later for a couple bucks more but this release seems to have just gone with the wind.

Too bad :(

Skavoovee
Oct 2, 2006

by SA Support Robot
I somehow missed ordering the final Hot Water Music Live 7(6)", even though I swear I did. Anyway, $32 from ebay later I finally have

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."
Oh hey, a vinyl thread. I've been collecting mostly punk and hardcore records for some time now. Here's a few of my more listened to purchases from the past few years:

I completely dorked out when I spotted the Repo Man soundtrack at a Reckless Records nearby, and it's been one of my favorite finds yet. The Cock Sparrer "Shock Troops" LP is a limited reissue, not an original print.

The Evaporators/Andrew W.K. split features a pretty entertaining interview with Andrew W.K. courtesy of Nardwuar the Human Serviette. I should also mention the the Copyrights/Dopamines split's name and cover is a blatant play off of a Big Black album, "Songs About loving".

Here's some close ups:

Cock Sparrer - Shock Troops LP

Bomb The Music Industry! - Goodbye Cool World LP

The Evaporators/Andrew W.K. split 7"

Bust!/The Budgets split 7"

The Copyrights/The Dopamines split 7"

I also have a bunch of hand me downs from my gone-digital dad. He was a huge Who fan, so he's got most of their discography including this gem:

The Who & Various Artists - Quadrophenia Official Soundtrack

And this is what I listen to my stuff on:

An Ion iPTSUB Portable. Nothing special. Also, those speakers were bought from Goodwill, $5 dollars for the pair. As for the receiver, that dates back to the 1980s and used to be my dad's. The shame.

The behemoth of a machine its sitting on is an old radio/record player my friends and I found back in the burbs waiting to be taken away to the trash on garbage night. We hauled it back to my place to find that the radio still works, but the record player on top may be broken beyond all repair. Maybe I'll actually open the old thing up and see what I can do for fix it sometime. For now, it remains good storage for my records and liquor.

Rooney McNibnug fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jun 13, 2011

cormac
Dec 18, 2005

Rooney McNibnug posted:

I should also mention the the Copyrights/Dopamines split's name and cover is a blatant play off of a Big Black album, "Songs About loving".

Kid 606 had a very similar idea.

Sexy Randal
Jul 26, 2006

woah
I bought my first new vinyl record off of the internet and just got it today. Yay!

But, it's kind of warped a little. Not dramatically so, but enough that I can hear the pitch drop/rise just a little bit.

I understand that there isn't anything I can do about this unfortunately. My question is, what the hell? I just bought this brand new (Decemberists - The Tain). Is this common? I'm a little surprised to be honest...

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Rooney McNibnug posted:

Oh hey, a vinyl thread. I've been collecting mostly punk and hardcore records for some time now. Here's a few of my more listened to purchases from the past few years:

I completely dorked out when I spotted the Repo Man soundtrack at a Reckless Records nearby, and it's been one of my favorite finds yet. The Cock Sparrer "Shock Troops" LP is a limited reissue, not an original print.

I've thought about buying Throb Throb so many times but I keep putting it off. Naked Raygun, Bhopal Stiffs, Pegboy, Chicago punk, these are all good things.

Skavoovee
Oct 2, 2006

by SA Support Robot

Rooney McNibnug posted:

Sweet, I don't have that variant of Goodbye Cool World. I do have a test press, the Clear Green with White Swirl and the Asian Man Records repress with the inverted color artwork and new liner notes though :):).

A friend of mine has pretty much every BTMI variant and we have a standing agreement that one day I will send him a suitcase full of cash for them.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:

Sexy Randal posted:

I bought my first new vinyl record off of the internet and just got it today. Yay!

But, it's kind of warped a little. Not dramatically so, but enough that I can hear the pitch drop/rise just a little bit.

I understand that there isn't anything I can do about this unfortunately. My question is, what the hell? I just bought this brand new (Decemberists - The Tain). Is this common? I'm a little surprised to be honest...

Unfortunately this sometimes happens. It could of been like that already or it more likely happened in transit. I'm guessing you're American, seeing as it's summer it may have been sitting in the back of a hot truck for hours.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
My local record shop is getting in the Supercolider/Butcher EPs tomorrow. Patience is a virtue

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."

Skavoovee posted:

Sweet, I don't have that variant of Goodbye Cool World. I do have a test press, the Clear Green with White Swirl and the Asian Man Records repress with the inverted color artwork and new liner notes though :):).

A friend of mine has pretty much every BTMI variant and we have a standing agreement that one day I will send him a suitcase full of cash for them.

That test press sounds awesome. Do you have a picture of it?

I'm a huge BTMI fan, and I own most of their stuff on vinyl. In fact, I just pre-ordered their new LP, "Vacation". I think I remember the site saying the vinyl is purple and orange. And every pre-order comes with a free shirt!

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

cheese eats mouse posted:

My local record shop is getting in the Supercolider/Butcher EPs tomorrow. Patience is a virtue

It'll probably be identical to the limited release of RSD, making the people that paid far out the rear end for it seem like even bigger dupes. It wasn't even numbered or anything.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

Dissapointed Owl posted:

It'll probably be identical to the limited release of RSD, making the people that paid far out the rear end for it seem like even bigger dupes. It wasn't even numbered or anything.

Anyone who paid far out the rear end for it was an idiot to begin with, because they announced a June 14th release in the US/Canada/W.A.S.T.E. store before RSD even happened.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

chime_on posted:

Anyone who paid far out the rear end for it was an idiot to begin with, because they announced a June 14th release in the US/Canada/W.A.S.T.E. store before RSD even happened.

Yea. They were sold out today when I got there, but they said they're getting more in. Not hard to get at all.

While I was there I picked up
The Decemberists - The King Is Dead
Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Emerson, Lake & Palmer
and musical soundtracks from Hello Dolly, The Sound of Music, My Fair Lady, and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang for like $1.

I grew up on musicals so I was pretty giddy.

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jun 14, 2011

Salyermonkey
Mar 17, 2004

cheese eats mouse posted:

Silver Platters in North Seattle had 5 or 6 of them when they opened. I was kind of surprised there was no one else there buying it after hearing people scrambling for it on RSD.

Judoon Platoon
Nov 1, 2010

chime_on posted:

Speaking of which, it's up on the King of Limbs store now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Apparently these have been available for a long-rear end time and still haven't sold out, so either people have overlooked it or Woven Hand isn't as big as I'd thought, but Burnt Toast Vinyl has Test Pressings for sale of both The Threshing Floor album on blue vinyl and Consider The Birds album (of which there are only 15) for $25 each.

They also have Test Pressings of Mt. Eerie's Live in Copenhagen triple vinyl for $40.

I don't have much experience with test pressings but they seem like cool little collector's items for those interested.

Also, Consider The Birds never got a European vinyl release iirc and the European release of The Threshing Floor was bland as hell. This one's a really nice gatefold.

You know, if you're into that sort of thing.