Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
It absolutely makes a difference that you're just skipping over the poo poo you don't want to see live to get to the poo poo you do want to see while it is still live. Once it's no longer happening, it's just information to me instead of entertainment, and I don't want to watch the game I just want to watch the condensed game, or all the scoring plays, or the important scoring chances/extended highlight package.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Everyone stay off Ribsauce's lawn.

Seriously though, the joy of being able to watch two football games in the same span it takes to watch one live, while both games are being played, far outweighs any of the negatives. My wife is a Steelers fan, we watch the start of the game live until the first commercial break, then pause it. Then, if the Raiders are playing, I'll have had that game on the other tuner. Switch to that game, watch it until we catch up to live and the first live commercial, pause, switch back. loving awesome. I do admit, you have to sort of blur your vision to the ticker and do a "la la la, I can't hear you" when they switch for a highlight, but it still works out most of the time.

I would consider that advanced channel surfing, totally different than recording the game and watching it the next day. For example, what if the Raiders and Steelers were playing at the same time? Would it be the same to you if you recorded the Raiders and then watched it after the Steelers game even if you did not know the outcome (which is impossible with the score ticker and in game breakins, but lets pretend). I would imagine you would not want to do that, which is what I am talking about.

Ribsauce fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jun 9, 2011

Rogue Elephant
May 1, 2007

Scott Burnside posted:

BOSTON -- Boston Bruins coach Claude Julien has a bit of a Midas touch right now.

If what he touches doesn't turn to gold, then it's certainly win. And lopsided wins at that.

A professional writer wrote that. And got paid. And an editor let it slide.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Ribsauce posted:

Would it be the same to you if you recorded the Raiders and then watched it after the Steelers game even if you did not know the outcome

The same? No, because by definition it's not. But does it ruin the experience? No. If you don't know the outcome, the senses of anticipation and excitement are all in your head.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Rogue Elephant posted:

When I read things like that, it only enforces my belief that people should be booed in non-sporting event situations.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Rogue Elephant posted:

Tbh that looks an awful lot like he meant to write "wins" and not just win, and the editor missed that instead of the other.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
One of the first groups of people who got laid off across the board were copy-editors so I am amazed that there isn't more of that honestly

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!
Sportscenter just showed Joba's stats for his first 39 career appearances (all in relief) in a column next to the stats for the rest of his career (everything from his first start on), and came to the conclusion that turning him into a starter ruined him.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Accident Underwater posted:

Sportscenter just showed Joba's stats for his first 39 career appearances (all in relief) in a column next to the stats for the rest of his career (everything from his first start on), and came to the conclusion that turning him into a starter ruined him.

The thing you said caused me to make the face in your avatar.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

I thought that most people agreed that being a fat drunk has ruined Joba Chamberlain.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
Joba isn't ruined he was pitching very well this year and pitched very well with some bumps last year

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
Yeah, I would be pretty happy to have Joba on my team.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Mornacale posted:

Yeah, I would be pretty happy to have Joba on my team.
I can't believe he's only 25 years old. It feels like I first heard about him being a great prospect ten years ago.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

Crazy Ted posted:

What do you do if you're Tommy Craggs and don't get a job at Grantland? Start writing angry words about Grantland Rice.

You would think he would direct his anger at his current boss who possibly burned his bridge to ESPN instead

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.
It woulda been funny if he wrote like a lovely 10,000-word Posnanskian rambling article about Grantland and in the middle of a generic sentence he added "loving delaurio"

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

leokitty posted:

Joba isn't ruined he was pitching very well this year and pitched very well with some bumps last year

Poor Joba. He's really been screwed, in a way, because of what a spectacularly good start he got off to. It's like after he came back to earth he could never live up to the casual fan's "expectations" because he didn't turn out to be the second coming of Mariano Rivera or something. This is mostly the fault of idiot sportswriters, of course. Although he had been quietly having a pretty great 2011, it's true.

Ellsbury had a similar problem in Boston, after being so great in his 2007 debut. It's not until this year that he's turned back into anything resembling that player for any extended period of time, really. Not that I'm convinced he's going to maintain his .310/.370/.476 line, or anything.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
Not sure how Grantland is going to turn out, but Simmons' hockey article today is the best thing I've read from him in forever.

And the retrospective of The National is amazing. It's written in the style of the ESPN book (because of Alex French I'd assume).

Good start so far.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

leokitty posted:

What the gently caress why are there no RSS feeds?

http://www.grantland.com/feed since I just found it this morning.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
Simmons' RSS feed has everything from Grantland on it, too.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
The National owned, it was a mind blowing amount of content for its time. I remember they had scorebook style boxscores for baseball games. You know, the grids with 4-3 and backwards Ks and stuff. I also remember a really awesome long form about sports disasters and their possible aftermath. The Marshall plane crash, the Minneapolis Lakers almost crash, the roof collapse in Hartford, etc.

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

Only the dead have seen the end of war

sba posted:

Not sure how Grantland is going to turn out, but Simmons' hockey article today is the best thing I've read from him in forever.

And the retrospective of The National is amazing. It's written in the style of the ESPN book (because of Alex French I'd assume).

Good start so far.

The National article was like a text version of one of the better 30 for 30 documentaries. I'd never heard of The National before but the story really did a great job of conveying its history and what made it so great.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
I wish some publisher would collect a bunch of the better features from The National in a book. Same for Inside Sports, too. I've read a few in some old collections of Best American series, but it'd be nice to have some all together in one book.

savetheclocktower
Sep 23, 2004

You wait and see, Mr. Caruthers. I will be president! I'll be the most powerful president in the history of America. And I'm gonna clean up this country!

Holland Oats posted:

The National article was like a text version of one of the better 30 for 30 documentaries. I'd never heard of The National before but the story really did a great job of conveying its history and what made it so great.

Charles Pierce's companion piece is just as good. I hope to god they can maintain this level of awesomeness.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I'm not sure they can keep this pace up (although they have like 700 writers so maybe), but it's definitely gone really well so far, at least as far as sports stuff is concerned. The oral history of The National was great.

Bizob
Dec 18, 2004

Tiger out of nowhere!
I have identified a problem in the Grantland article about the "self aware NBA"

Carles posted:

Think about the face that Skip Bayless makes when someone else is talking, listening intently, mainly because he is waiting for his turn to present a passionate, logical counterpoint.

Is this snark? Because if its not let me just say as a counterpoint, "gently caress Skip Bayless."

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Bizob posted:

Is this snark? Because if its not let me just say as a counterpoint, "gently caress Skip Bayless."

Yeah, I think the writer is playing against expectations of ESPN croneyism and 'selling out'.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

Bizob posted:

I have identified a problem in the Grantland article about the "self aware NBA"

You are not very familiar with Carles, are you?

Also, editorial is obviously making him use proper grammar and I don't really think it works with his character.

Groucho Marxist fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jun 10, 2011

Bizob
Dec 18, 2004

Tiger out of nowhere!

Groucho Marxist posted:

You are not very familiar with Carles, are you?

Also, editorial is obviously making him use proper grammar and I don't really think it works with his character.

I am not familiar with him. I am heartened to hear that it went over my head, even if that sentence did actually make me picture Skip Bayless' face. Ugh.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Bizob posted:

I am not familiar with him. I am heartened to hear that it went over my head, even if that sentence did actually make me picture Skip Bayless' face. Ugh.

http://www.hipsterrunoff.com/

It's all pretty funny.

unhwillneverwin
Oct 16, 2010

Smashing through the boundaries
Lunacy has found me
Cannot stop the battery!
And Colin Cowherd continues to be a shithead by blaming mid westerners themselves for being unemployed.

http://deadspin.com/5810999/

sixide
Oct 25, 2004
We may have 8 million fewer jobs than people but if you schlubs wouldn't spend all your money on food and rent you could afford to move across the country and take the place of a slightly less qualified poor local resident :smug:

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

I really like grantland so far, even the design. I like that it's minimal and austere and just a little amateur. The worst part about sports journalism on the internet is how loving busy it all is and how much info they try to convey at once.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Twin Cinema posted:

http://www.hipsterrunoff.com/

It's all pretty funny.

post/username combo

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

the talent deficit posted:

I really like grantland so far, even the design. I like that it's minimal and austere and just a little amateur. The worst part about sports journalism on the internet is how loving busy it all is and how much info they try to convey at once.

what i'm surprised is they're eventually going to add user comments, which have noticeably been absent from BS's articles for a loooong time.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Can anyone post that LBJ retro-diary in full (on Pastebin or something), because for some reason it times out for me when I try to read it.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Geno posted:

what i'm surprised is they're eventually going to add user comments, which have noticeably been absent from BS's articles for a loooong time.

He had them for all of a day at ESPN (I think he was the first writer they tried them out on). It did not go well.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I hope they don't add them. User comments are worthless, I have never seen a website improved by them. I hate them because even though I know they will be horrible I can't not click on them.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Ribsauce posted:

I hope they don't add them. User comments are worthless, I have never seen a website improved by them. I hate them because even though I know they will be horrible I can't not click on them.

They're beyond worthless, but they can do a lot to drive up a site's impressions. If a reader is navigating to an article and constantly refreshing to see if someone responded to their racist hate, it shows up in the pageviews. For a site like Grantland, which runs minimal advertising in the first-place, that could be crucial to staying alive.

morestuff fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jun 14, 2011

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP
I was under the impression that Grantland was using sponsorships from companies more so than advertisements for their revenue stream. Considering some of the writers involved with the site I'm thinking it is more of a vanity project for ESPN which they can afford to take a loss on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Christ Pseudoscientist posted:

I was under the impression that Grantland was using sponsorships from companies more so than advertisements for their revenue stream. Considering some of the writers involved with the site I'm thinking it is more of a vanity project for ESPN which they can afford to take a loss on.
It is. Simmons likened it to Miramax being funded by Disney. They're probably not in the business of losing money but if they can break even without loading up on the ads, I'm sure it would work for them.