Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Motronic posted:

Glad you have demonstrated your through understanding of the sarcasm in my post.

You have, in addition to a broken "thorough" spelling actuator, a broken "I was using your quote to further your rhetoric, answering only directly to you in the first sentence but in the remaining paragraph I was continuing in complete support of your argument"-detector. Which is an extremely specific detector and it is odd that such a detector should fail in such a way. Now, I might have a broken "Way to repeat exactly what I was saying"-detector or perhaps a wonky "I was only ribbing"-detector so sadly we have to conclude that the fleet of sensors vital to our common forum discussion is in a very poor state indeed. Have we not been maintaining them properly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Ola posted:

Have we not been maintaining them properly?

It's a British Leyland part, sorry.

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

The monkey is NOT impressed...
Can we get a picture of these mechanically failed hypothetical devices?

JD Brickmeister
Sep 4, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Fermunky posted:

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Motronic posted:

It's a British Leyland part, sorry.

Fermunky posted:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Reposting from the "change your goddamn timing belt" thread:

This is a very nice version of what happens when you ignore a timing belt:

My cousin's Isuzu. Haven't actually talked to her about it but I'm 99% certain it was a timing belt failure, and I'm pretty drat sure it only actually has eight valves. Haven't seen how the head and pistons look, either.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Reposting from the "change your goddamn timing belt" thread:

This is a very nice version of what happens when you ignore a timing belt:

My cousin's Isuzu. Haven't actually talked to her about it but I'm 99% certain it was a timing belt failure, and I'm pretty drat sure it only actually has eight valves. Haven't seen how the head and pistons look, either.
You've been struck by a smooth criminal piston crown.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Ok I'm stumped. What the hell am I looking at? I'm guessing it's a clutch pack.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
look at the edge nearest the gasket. you'll see cracked aluminum. Those disks are usually held in aluminum fingers that come up from the clutch backing plate.

They are all gone. Which explains the mess of aluminum dust too.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
What kind of clutch is that? That's a lot of plates.

lazer_chicken
May 14, 2009

PEW PEW ZAP ZAP
Perhaps it's a center diff from some kind of awd system?

emf
Aug 1, 2002

motorbike

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Crossposting from the "Hot chick car thread"

the forces to bend those trailing arms on the front diff... those are 1" thick forged steel!

Not to mention the chassis its attatched too!

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

What kind of clutch is that? That's a lot of plates.

haha that's what I said. I'm not sure what bike it's from but I'm trying to find out now, that and just how the hell it happened.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

lazer_chicken posted:

That would make more sense but even so... :aaa:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

lazer_chicken posted:

Almost looks like aircraft brakes to me. The few I've seen have separate pads between the discs, but I'm no expert by any means. Maybe this is a different style.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

It's a motorcycle. you can see the driven gear inside the case there. Offhand I don't know any bikes with quite that many plates.

Yes, airliners have brakes like that.

emf
Aug 1, 2002

It looks like either 12 or 13 friction plates, which is quite a lot. It is not too unusual for the squidly set to have their buckets machined to fit more plates because of MASIV TORKS, even though it is really because they abuse the poo poo out of their bikes and go through clutches like the rest of us go through condoms (one-time-use only). Many bikes can accept an additional friction and steel plate each over the factory amount with no other changes.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat
Possible he stuffed more discs in there and way overdid the pressure plate bolts? I did that once (sans extra discs) and destroyed the boss in the middle but I don't think it would wreck the fingers like that so probably not. The force would have to be on the fingers so probably just dumping the clutch.

MisterSparkle
Jan 16, 2004
banishes dirt to the land of wind and ghosts
Dang, goodbye clutch basket.

Looks like a R6 Pack with more clutches....R1 perhaps?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
ZX12 clutch basket. 6 bolts, same casting on the pressure plate, and the small allen bolt to the upper left of the engine case. R6/R1 doesn't have those :)

Reference:
http://www.zxforums.com/forums/zx-12r-forum/24658-clutch-basket-shattered.html

infrared35
Jan 13, 2005

Plaster Town Cop

Ferremit posted:

the forces to bend those trailing arms on the front diff... those are 1" thick forged steel!

Not to mention the chassis its attatched too!

No photos because it happened fifteen years ago, but I had a thing for ex cop cars. The first car I ever bought myself was an '88 Caprice police package, and then I later bought a '91 Caprice police package (bought it in '93 and it already had 100k miles on it). I drove the '91 and my dad sort of took over the '88 since it was a much cooler car than the Mazda GLC he was driving.

However when I moved to Chicago, I didn't want to risk getting the newer cop car vandalized or otherwise damaged since it was basically in pristine condition, so my dad and I traded. I took the '88 to Chi-town and he drove the '91.

When I moved back, the '88 was no worse for wear but somehow my dad had managed to lose all four hubcaps from the '91, tear one corner of the rear bumper cover off, poke a hole in the radiator ("well yeah, I have to keep putting coolant in it, I thought that was just a Chevy thing"), crush the oil filter upward as if he had jumped and landed perfectly with the oil filter on top of a rock or post or something ("yeah, I have to keep putting oil in it, I thought that was another Chevy thing"), he blew out the rear U-joint...

...and bent the frame so badly that the alignment shop couldn't fully compensate for it.

And to this day he denies any knowledge of what caused all that. "I just drove it back and forth to work every day" - a three-mile trip on quiet rural roads to the community college where he taught philosophy. :psyduck:

After fixing the worst of the damage, I drove that car for another three years before the flywheel shattered at 210k miles, and I figured it was time to retire her. :patriot:

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao
a friend just shared this picture and it would fit nicely here. this is what happens when your mechanic insists that you need a new strut mount but you decide not to listen to them.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Breast Pussy posted:

a friend just shared this picture and it would fit nicely here. this is what happens when your mechanic insists that you need a new strut mount but you decide not to listen to them.

Edit: rehosted derp

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

Breast Pussy posted:

No volvo noooo :(

Guessing the bearing failed?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Breast Pussy posted:

Next VW fad. Callin' it here.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

meatpimp posted:

Next VW fad. Callin' it here.

"Yeah I patina'd my car so hard it made itself hella-rust-flush." :suicide:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
my brother has a Daewoo Nubira with the X22SE in it. He has 98k miles on it, and the other day it suddenly died.

He failed to inform me that he had NEVER changed the timing belt, so when I got under the hood, all four spark plugs where drenched in oil (wtf?) but the oil is still golden brown and there aren't any metal bits in the oil from what I can tell.

The motor is interference, so off comes the head in a few days. I hope he only bent a few valves and nothing else.

lazer_chicken
May 14, 2009

PEW PEW ZAP ZAP
On some engines a leaky valve cover gasket can fill the spark plug holes with oil.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

lazer_chicken posted:

On some engines a leaky valve cover gasket can fill the spark plug holes with oil.

This. When I did the plugs on my car 3 out of 4 had oil on the insulator. Any engine that has spark plugs that go through the valve cover will have grommets or o-rings on the spark plug tubes, and they leak when they get old.

Fixing it requires pulling the valve cover and swapping the seals, I changed mine (plus the valve cover gasket) in about 15 minutes.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

dietcokefiend posted:

No volvo noooo :(

Guessing the bearing failed?

It's a very common problem, the upper spring seat (which doubles as the shock mount) fails. The shock end is mounted in rubber. However, they clunk loudly long before they catastrophically fail, that one had to be making noise for a very long time for that to happen.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Breast Pussy posted:

This happened when I worked at Acura because a tech failed to secure the mount properly, i.e. at all. He was driving it onto the alignment rack and it put a strut almost through the hood. It makes a great sound.

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jun 16, 2011

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Oil is an electrical insulator anyway. why worry about oil on the plugs? :-)

JointHorse
Feb 7, 2005

Lusus naturę et exaltabitur cor eius.

Yams Fan
Have you ever had the pleasure of seeing what happens when a rock strikes an older style non-laminated toughened windshield?

I have (five years ago though):

That poo poo made the loudest boom I have ever heard, and after I pulled over and was trying to get my pulse back to somewhat normal levels, you could hear the glass make these crackling noises. And by some miracle, the windshield stayed in place instead of flying against my face at 80kmh.

Blinky Blinkerson
May 9, 2006

JointHorse posted:

Have you ever had the pleasure of seeing what happens when a rock strikes an older style non-laminated toughened windshield?

That poo poo made the loudest boom I have ever heard, and after I pulled over and was trying to get my pulse back to somewhat normal levels, you could hear the glass make these crackling noises. And by some miracle, the windshield stayed in place instead of flying against my face at 80kmh.

Did you have to "Ace Ventura" that poo poo home ? Never seen anything like that before.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
How many guys did it take to pull the seatcover out of your rear end?

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

Many years ago, I was driving my (old) Beetle on a mountain road frequented by open-trailer log and nickel smelting-related trucks. I suppose it happens more frequently than I might have imagined, but as I rounded a bend, an oncoming truck threw a rock at the ground, which then bounced up and hit my windshield (and I am not exaggerating) directly in front of my face.

As was said before, the noise that this makes is astounding, and expect it to take about 15 minutes to get back to reality. I had to pull over and just stare at my steering wheel for a while.

Anyway, I don't think the glass in that car was modern safety glass. I don't even know if it was classic safety glass or, if it was, what revision of the technology it possessed. It shattered and threw glass shards and dust onto my face and torso; I am extremely lucky I have such stupidly light-sensitive eyes because, but for wearing sunglasses, that dust would have gone into my eyes and I would have been in for an extremely unpleasant afternoon after I either wrapped the car around a tree or hit an oncoming vehicle.

Blinky Blinkerson posted:

Did you have to "Ace Ventura" that poo poo home ? Never seen anything like that before.

I certainly did. The shatter pattern made by my rock was about the size of a basketball, so I had two choices - look out the left (out the window) or look out the right (in da hood). Thank god I could turn around and go home in less than half an hour.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

JointHorse posted:

That is crazy awesome-looking...pretty sure I'd have sucked up the seat cushion though. How old is "older style" like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!

nurrwick posted:

Many years ago, I was driving my (old) Beetle on a mountain road frequented by open-trailer log and nickel smelting-related trucks. I suppose it happens more frequently than I might have imagined, but as I rounded a bend, an oncoming truck threw a rock at the ground, which then bounced up and hit my windshield (and I am not exaggerating) directly in front of my face.

As was said before, the noise that this makes is astounding, and expect it to take about 15 minutes to get back to reality. I had to pull over and just stare at my steering wheel for a while.

Anyway, I don't think the glass in that car was modern safety glass. I don't even know if it was classic safety glass or, if it was, what revision of the technology it possessed. It shattered and threw glass shards and dust onto my face and torso; I am extremely lucky I have such stupidly light-sensitive eyes because, but for wearing sunglasses, that dust would have gone into my eyes and I would have been in for an extremely unpleasant afternoon after I either wrapped the car around a tree or hit an oncoming vehicle.

I certainly did. The shatter pattern made by my rock was about the size of a basketball, so I had two choices - look out the left (out the window) or look out the right (in da hood). Thank god I could turn around and go home in less than half an hour.

Early Beetles didn't have laminated windshields in them, Laminate windshields weren't required till 68. A few backyard mechanics have been known to replace broken windows with standard household window glass, very very bad idea. Tempered glass is strong and shatters into tiny little bits for safety, however chip it and it looses most/all of its strength.

Veeb0rg fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jun 17, 2011