Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

Man, Egwene already owns. One of the best parts of Path of Daggers was when she tricked the Hall into legally having to obey any order she gives with regards to the war with Elaida.

Nah, what was better was when she did it the second time so she'd be the one to talk to Rand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
Not quite there yet. Right now the White Tower still thinks that the (do I need to spoiler WoT? I will to be safe) cleansing of the male half of the source was a weapon of the Forsaken and they're going to try to get the Black Tower to help them make circles larger than 13 channelers.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Man, Egwene already owns. One of the best parts of Path of Daggers was when she tricked the Hall into legally having to obey any order she gives with regards to the war with Elaida.

I didn't like her so much where you're at, but if you do, she's about to get like a million times cooler when you get into the Sanderson books.

Even Nynaeve gets pretty cool. Elayne still sucks though.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Apart from her cleverness with the Hall, I like Egwene because she's one of the few Aes Sedai who isn't hopelessly self-centered. Also her cleverness with the Hall again. :)

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Just finished the Mistborn trilogy.

:aaaaa:

I'm so glad Sanderson writes at a ridiculous speed. I need more books.

Vaniljcola
Jul 11, 2009
http://www.tor.com/stories/2011/06/the-alloy-of-law-excerpt
Prologue and first chapter from The Alloy of Law.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007

Vaniljcola posted:

http://www.tor.com/stories/2011/06/the-alloy-of-law-excerpt
Prologue and first chapter from The Alloy of Law.

Only read the first few chapters so far and I cant wait for the book now.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Elendel

:downs:

drat, this poo poo owns. Can't wait for the rest.

Also, I love the fact that only 9 paragraphs in and we already have bowler hats!

Bring on some monocles.

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jun 15, 2011

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Ruin + Preservation = Harmony, eh?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

“I have seen God, lawkeeper,” “I have seen Death himself, with the nails in his eyes. I have seen the Survivor, who is life.”

:tviv:

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I like how Wax has his steel in whiskey.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
So I'm about 160 pages into the first Mistborn and I gotta say, this sounds like a really fun video game.

(The overall setup and the world seems interesting, but the magic... eh, I can just imagine brightly-colored gauges at the corner of the screen showing how much tin Vin has left. You know?)

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

It would make a pretty badass platformer I have to agree.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

IRQ posted:

It would make a pretty badass platformer I have to agree.

Platformer? gently caress that, use the Assassin's Creed engine. Hell, you can even use the economy system from Brotherhood/Revelations as a Skaa Rebellion mechanic.

404GoonNotFound fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jun 16, 2011

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.

IRQ posted:

It would make a pretty badass animated mini-series I have to agree, along with every other Brandon Sanderson series to date.

I think that's what you meant to say, the correct opinion...

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

treeboy posted:

I think that's what you meant to say, the correct opinion...

No because anime is the worst form of media ever, including minstrel shows, nazi propaganda, and snuff films.

404GoonNotFound posted:

Platformer? gently caress that, use the Assassin's Creed engine. Hell, you can even use the economy system from Brotherhood/Revelations as a Skaa Rebellion mechanic.

That would be cool too. I blame it on playing a lot of the new Alice game this weekend.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

I like how Wax has his steel in whiskey.

I've always thought, the Allomancers in Mistborn must be raging alcoholics. Metal is polar, alcohol is nonpolar, they won't dissolve each other. But they're always carrying their metals in alcohol "solutions" they down all the time. Why use alcohol? They must be drunks.
Edit: The fact that Wax is a coinshot/steelpusher+ able to make himself heavier/lighter at will is gonna be pretty awesome. There's a lot you can do with that combination..

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jun 16, 2011

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.

IRQ posted:

No because anime is the worst form of media ever, including minstrel shows, nazi propaganda, and snuff films.

it's hard to believe, i know, but there are other styles of animation other than "anime" :rolleyes:

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Maybe I'm alone in this but man, the millionth explanation of how magic works using the exact same words and phrases just felt like a goddamn babysitter's club book to me. I know it's such a tiny sliver of the text that it shouldn't matter and eventually it won't but man, when I tried to read that excerpt I just had a hideous flashback.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

treeboy posted:

it's hard to believe, i know, but there are other styles of animation other than "anime" :rolleyes:

Yes there are and they are quite good!

But literally nobody who says a fantasy series should be animated is talking about anything other than anime.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

IRQ posted:

But literally nobody who says a fantasy series should be animated is talking about anything other than anime.
I doubt Genndy Tartakovsky would do it, but a Mistborn series with the Samurai Jack type style in terms of how he uses movement and all that would be amazing.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

IRQ posted:

The people behind the DC animated universe usually come to my mind first when somebody mentions "animated series".

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Do you make no exceptions to that, IRQ? Because I'm no fan of anime, but Miyazaki films are loving awesome.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Do you make no exceptions to that, IRQ? Because I'm no fan of anime, but Miyazaki films are loving awesome.

Actually yes, I do, for Miyazaki only. The style is still pretty grating, but I do like his films. I liked all of them I've seen.

It's just that when people say "oh X should be an animated series" I immediately and mostly correctly assume that they mean it should be some horrible anime thing. Virtually the only thing that Japan exports that is any good right is cars at this point. They used to be ok at game consoles but then the last 10 years happened.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

IRQ posted:

Yeah, western animated fantasy just doesn't happen.

I mean, apart from Gargoyles, The Sword In The Stone, The Black Cauldron, The Black Crystal (do puppets count?), The Secret of NIMH, How To Train Your Dragon...

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

404GoonNotFound posted:

Yeah, western animated fantasy just doesn't happen.

I mean, apart from Gargoyles, The Sword In The Stone, The Black Cauldron, The Black Crystal (do puppets count?), The Secret of NIMH, How To Train Your Dragon...

And even Anime style can done perfectly fine as Avatar: The Last Airbender has shown. And a Mistborn series with the animation quality of the Young Justice series would be simply incredible.

IRQ posted:

Virtually the only thing that Japan exports that is any good right is cars at this point.

And watches (I love my Seikos) and cameras.

Decius fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Jun 16, 2011

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Not sure I'm digging this. It's a little too wink and nudge for my tastes, like we're supposed to be in on the joke about the steam-punk stuff. "He grabbed his REVOLVERS and put on his BOWLER HAT that he wore with a DUSTER. Heh heh."

Also, the dialog is still... Sandersonesque.

Gain 20 Pounds
Nov 11, 2007

There's a quick exchange between Wax and Lessie in the prologue that immediately made me think of those dreadful Shallan witticims in Way of Kings.

But otherwise it was great and I'm excited for November.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I want to add that I actually find this kind of world building to be rather lazy. Why does a society with revolvers and new fangled electric lights have to have a Victorian aesthetic? I don't mind if there are some real world parallels, but it felt a lot like "Mistborn: 1880s" to me.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

For those who didn't pick up on it, Ladrian is Breeze's last name. It wasn't mentioned until about a third of the way into book 2 when Sazed returns to Luthadel and calls him Master Ladrian.

Gain 20 Pounds
Nov 11, 2007

I knew the name stuck out but I couldn't remember if ot was Breeze or Spook's name. Also Cett mansion. I like all the references. :)

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I guess they felt too obvious to me. You'd think over the last couple of hundred years, the names would have mutated a bit. I would have preferred to figure out exactly what it was referencing instead of having it really explicitly stated. It just doesn't feel natural.

I think the only thing that really changed was The Ascendant Warrior. I'm not actually sure if that refers to Vin or to Spook.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Theres a new blog post. Essentially a third of the book will be posted for free and its half the length of Mistborn.

http://www.brandonsanderson.com/blog/994/THE-ALLOY-OF-LAW-Sample-Chapters

quote:

The new Mistborn book, THE ALLOY OF LAW, comes out on November 8th. Today, Tor.com released the first batch of sample chapters, with the prologue and chapter one. They will put up five more chapters before the release date, which means that the preview is going to be about a third of the book. That's a large fraction, but I felt that after chapter six was the best stopping point for the preview: it's a satisfying chunk on its own, and it gives a good overview of the different aspects I wanted to include in the novel. It actually takes you up through the end of what I intended to be a short story when I started writing it. Of course well before that point I knew I'd keep writing the story to its natural conclusion, and it turned into a 95,000-word novel. (For comparison, the first Mistborn book was 215,000 words.)

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Jun 16, 2011

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Haraksha posted:

I guess they felt too obvious to me. You'd think over the last couple of hundred years, the names would have mutated a bit. I would have preferred to figure out exactly what it was referencing instead of having it really explicitly stated. It just doesn't feel natural.

Why should they? They aren't figures and places out of a mythological age or preserved through several different languages. The civilization is a direct continuation, as are the recordings made.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Plus Sazed was apparently directly involved in at least the early stages of recovery from the cataclysm, providing (heh) harmony and stability.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Haraksha posted:

Not sure I'm digging this. It's a little too wink and nudge for my tastes, like we're supposed to be in on the joke about the steam-punk stuff. "He grabbed his REVOLVERS and put on his BOWLER HAT that he wore with a DUSTER. Heh heh."

I got a more western-y vibe from everything that wasn't Wax-related. Wasn't there even a line in the prologue about how weird it was he was wearing that stuff? The over-the-top dandy aspect fits with what I'd expect from a descendant of Breeze, anyway.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
Last Line of the prologue: “The best performances,” Tan said, smiling and looking down at Lessie’s figure, “are those that can only be performed once.”

Thats some dark stuff, I know the first Mistborn wasn't all flowers and rainbows but I didn't expect this and can't wait to get my hands on the whole book.

Gain 20 Pounds
Nov 11, 2007

That whole sequence I just kept picturing Sander Cohen from Bioshock.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
Did it seem to anyone else that Tan was burning atium? Would atium even exist any more, or is it gone forever after it was all used at the end of Hero of the Ages?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Decius posted:

Why should they? They aren't figures and places out of a mythological age or preserved through several different languages. The civilization is a direct continuation, as are the recordings made.

Yes, it's a direct continuation, but it just feels too on the nose. You're right in that there's a good chance that it wouldn't have changed, but it still feels out of place. Maybe if only one or two things were directly named after characters from the other book, but even loving Demoux got a major road named after him.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I got a more western-y vibe from everything that wasn't Wax-related. Wasn't there even a line in the prologue about how weird it was he was wearing that stuff? The over-the-top dandy aspect fits with what I'd expect from a descendant of Breeze, anyway.

The thing with Western and Victorian is that they occurred at the same time. The fancy cities, such as Elend, are going to have a Victorian feel, and the rugged outskirts, like Weathering, will have the more Old West vibe.

The men at the party were described as wearing suits with tailcoats, and the women had "narrow waists and dresses with many folds". That comes across as way more Victorian than the Western duster he was wearing while out in the Roughs.

So, yes, it has both, but that's not surprising given that the two worlds existed at the same time. Wax is our guy who's caught between them.

Edit:
I want to clarify why I'm coming down so hard on this because I don't want to come across as just a hater.

For me, one of the biggest reasons to read a Sanderson novel is because of the world building and magic system. We've talked about how his characters can be a little flat and his dialog often leaves something to be desired, but the worlds are always rich and highly imaginative.

Elantris, Mistborn, and The Way of Kings are all obviously fantasy settings, but they are unique and nuanced, and that partly comes from their very well developed magic systems. But it goes deeper than that with cultures and religions and even gender roles being different and specific to each novel.

Alloy of Law seems to be missing those two critical features. Since so much of the setting seems to be lifted wholesale from real world examples, I don't really feel interested in exploring it the way I did in his other books. Further, this is still largely the same magic system that was pervasive and highly overused throughout the other Mistborn books. Given how many times I've already read the words "pushed" and "pulled", I don't feel particularly interested in doing it again. Yeah, the feruchemists and allomancers have interbred and there are two new metals, but it's more like an expansion back or an edition revision than something brand new.

By sticking his story into a world that he doesn't own, Sanderson is actively working against one of his greatest strengths. I'm not really interested in his take on Wild West/Victorian/Steam. I want to see something I've never seen before.

Fortunately, he still has five free chapters to win me over. Assuming that his plot is as well scripted as the others are, I might be able to find enough to keep me reading. He could really surprise me. The setting could just be purely aesthetic and there's lots of new ideas and twists on convention that I'm not expecting waiting to be discovered. But if it's just going to be "Mistborn with Revolvers and Bowlers" I'm not really feeling it.

Atlas Hugged fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jun 16, 2011