Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

God, that site is sickening.

At the Gracie Barra schools we will teach you Gracie Barra Jiu-jitsu which was a system developed by Helio Gracie-Barra. Be sure to drink plenty of Gracie Barra Elite Hydro-Water while you train on the Gracie Barra Mat at the Gracie Barra gym.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adolfo Castro
Aug 6, 2002
"I think rape is fucking hilarious."

dokomoy posted:

Top down.

http://graciebarra.com/min-requirements

I train/ed at Peter De Been's who's arguably the most experienced practioner in Australia and a Gracie Barra school.

We don't sell our gi's with logos, I've trained in unmatched gi's, and sometimes missing pants.
For the first month, I rolled in a tshirt and basketball shorts, I've never ever seen a gracie rash guard on ANYONE at the gym.
I've been told to cut down on my bowing to the instructor (instinctive for me) as it was way too officially, we generally shake hands, only if we want to.

It is the most relaxed academy I've ever been in in my life an and f'ing phenomenal experience which brings me to tears at the thought of not getting to experience it again.

PS Muscle loss in shoulder (guess the hosed one) zero flex in both arms.

Adolfo Castro fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Jun 10, 2011

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master
Yeah those GB rules aren't strictly adhered to in all schools, at least outside of the US.

At GB Birmingham in the UK you can wear pretty much whatever you want - one of the brown belts trains almost exclusively in sesame street T-shirts for no gi.

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon

Taratang posted:

Yeah those GB rules aren't strictly adhered to in all schools, at least outside of the US.

At GB Birmingham in the UK you can wear pretty much whatever you want - one of the brown belts trains almost exclusively in sesame street T-shirts for no gi.

My school has had signs up about needing GB gis for a while now, but they don't seem to enforce it. Certainly they wouldn't enforce it for someone just visiting briefly.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Adolfo Castro posted:

stuff
Your right one? :(

Which gym does he actually train out of/teach? And whats the pricing like at your school and would it be the same at the one near me?

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
Yay my back survived my judo class yesterday without any trouble! Ok, triangling people wasn't a good idea, but except that all was perfectly fine.

No more injuries now please war gods!

delljit
Feb 20, 2004

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Adolfo Castro posted:

It is the most relaxed academy I've ever been in in my life an and f'ing phenomenal experience which brings me to tears at the thought of not getting to experience it again.

My club used to be a pete de been affiliate, I train with Ninos in tullamarine and I must say it feels like a family. We wear what we want, train hard together, teach each other and have a laugh together. A few guys have the keys too so we open the club up for open mat on non training nights/days.

I couldn't ever imagine training under those Gracie barra rules and regulations on that website above.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

delljit posted:

My club used to be a pete de been affiliate, I train with Ninos in tullamarine and I must say it feels like a family. We wear what we want, train hard together, teach each other and have a laugh together. A few guys have the keys too so we open the club up for open mat on non training nights/days.

I couldn't ever imagine training under those Gracie barra rules and regulations on that website above.
Can I ask how much it was under Peter de Been?

e: wow, only 100 a month? Thats really good. I was expecting around 130-150. Any contract? The one near me is in Wollongong if it matters.

Nierbo fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Jun 10, 2011

delljit
Feb 20, 2004

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
My club is about 100 per month for full time, 85 or 90 for 2 nights a week. I can't remember exactly. I pay for 2 nights but I usually end up going 3 times its not terribly strict.

Pete's in st kilda would be more because of rent and such

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.

Nierbo posted:

Can I ask how much it was under Peter de Been?

e: wow, only 100 a month? Thats really good. I was expecting around 130-150. Any contract? The one near me is in Wollongong if it matters.

Hey for what it matters, a guy I roll with regularly at Gracie Sydney (Alexandria, which is basically the airport) lives in Wollongong. He actually makes the commute.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Taratang posted:

I'm guessing the fact that they are in the LA area, where Gracie Barra is based and where there are like 30 schools, plays into it. You never know when a higher up is going to drop by and notice if you aren't following the rules for uniforms.

Edit: Also, looking at the website, it looks like only "Gracie Barra Premium Schools" are required to do the uniform stuff. Affiliates do not have to "comply with Gracie Barra Franchise Systems operating guidelines."

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jun 10, 2011

Adolfo Castro
Aug 6, 2002
"I think rape is fucking hilarious."

delljit posted:

My club is about 100 per month for full time, 85 or 90 for 2 nights a week. I can't remember exactly. I pay for 2 nights but I usually end up going 3 times its not terribly strict.

Pete's in st kilda would be more because of rent and such

not much more and there was no contract, think maybe 120 for full time.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

God, that site is sickening.

At the Gracie Barra schools we will teach you Gracie Barra Jiu-jitsu which was a system developed by Helio Gracie-Barra. Be sure to drink plenty of Gracie Barra Elite Hydro-Water while you train on the Gracie Barra Mat at the Gracie Barra gym.

I made fun of the instructor when he put up a GB poster that claimed that the Gracies had invented the Gi. They took it down after that.

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!

Thoguh posted:

I made fun of the instructor when he put up a GB poster that claimed that the Gracies had invented the Gi. They took it down after that.

God drat, Gracie Barra just SCREAMS McDojo.

If people had told me about the warning signs of a McDojo, and I had no prior knowledge of the quality of teaching/students that come from Gracie Barra gyms, I would be avoiding that stuff like the plague.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

fawker posted:

God drat, Gracie Barra just SCREAMS McDojo.

If people had told me about the warning signs of a McDojo, and I had no prior knowledge of the quality of teaching/students that come from Gracie Barra gyms, I would be avoiding that stuff like the plague.

They are a legit BJJ school that has figured out that McDojos make a shitload of money. That's why my advice to anybody wanting to go there is to check out other schools in the area first, but that GB is fine if you have no other options, or if the other options are a poorly run or inconsistent club.

delljit
Feb 20, 2004

Adolfo Castro posted:

not much more and there was no contract, think maybe 120 for full time.

yeah i didnt think it was much more at all

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007
So, last night we did something the instructor referred to as "stress inoculation." We broke up into groups of five. The person in the middle was standing in a neutral position blindfolded and music was blasting. The idea was to deprive you of two of the senses you rely on in a 'violent encounter' in order to understand how quickly technique can go out the window. The people around you would choke you from any direction (but only one at a time).

I thought this was a great demonstration of what happens when your higher brain functions say "gently caress this!" and bail on you. When I started writing this post I was going to ask a question, but I watched a clip from the daily show in the middle and have now forgotten it. So uh...do you guys have any other fun/unique/clever ideas for training in situations where your executive brain functions are fleeting, at best?

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Invent a new type of sensory deprivation tank, where you're just relaxing and having a good time, and then out of nowhere a dude just comes out and starts loving wailing on you.

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jun 11, 2011

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007

Bohemian Nights posted:

Invent a new type of sensory deprivation tank, where you're just relaxing and having a good time, and then out of nowhere a dude just comes out of nowhere and starts loving wailing on you.

I can't decide if that would be badass or terrible. I've often thought it would be cool to have a martial art where one of the higher level tests would be something like you're getting into your car after work and a paneled van pulls up and a couple of people get out with masks on and attempt to kidnap you. I know this is an insanely stupid/dangerous thing to do, but that doesn't stop me from day dreaming. You would also have to swear anyone who's gone through this test to secrecy under penalty of a severe beating or something.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Winkle-Daddy posted:

I can't decide if that would be badass or terrible. I've often thought it would be cool to have a martial art where one of the higher level tests would be something like you're getting into your car after work and a paneled van pulls up and a couple of people get out with masks on and attempt to kidnap you. I know this is an insanely stupid/dangerous thing to do, but that doesn't stop me from day dreaming. You would also have to swear anyone who's gone through this test to secrecy under penalty of a severe beating or something.

my fraternity had an occasional tradition where pledges would be kidnapped and taken somewhere over a weekend to drink beer while the other 40 something kids freak out that he/they is being hazed to death.

When I was pledging, I was kind of hoping they would kidnap me, because I had the very same secret wish to try to fight off a kidnapping, but one of the older guys told me one night I was the last one they'd grab because they were afraid I would "UFC out and break someone's arm or something". No fun at all.

Xguard86 fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jun 10, 2011

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

Winkle-Daddy posted:

Terrible terrible idea.

But I do know of some talented folks who have trained in a car...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECavWefY1jc&feature=related

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jun 10, 2011

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007

Senor P. posted:

Terrible terrible idea.

But I do know of some talented folks who have trained in a car...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECavWefY1jc&feature=related

I tried to have sex in the back seat of a coup once; I can't imagine trying to make enough room to fight in one! :aaaaa:

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Winkle-Daddy posted:

Unfortunately this would have the problem of severely wrecking the people trying to kidnap you if you were successful.

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007

CaptainScraps posted:

Unfortunately this would have the problem of severely wrecking the people trying to kidnap you if you were successful.

Well yeah, thinking something is awesome is not the same as thinking it's a good idea. :)

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Found out today my boss might be shipping me to Edmonton next week to work with our drilling contractor and rig manufacturer. Anyone know a good bjj gym up there?

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Smegmatron posted:

Hey for what it matters, a guy I roll with regularly at Gracie Sydney (Alexandria, which is basically the airport) lives in Wollongong. He actually makes the commute.
Oh, so he thinks the Wollongong one is poo poo?

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Australian Judo Nationals starts streaming live in a few minutes for those who are intersted:

http://www.lmsc.com.au/index.php?page=display&key=LZeX6Rzm

First time watching it so I don't know what the coverage will be like.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Thanks, I'll keep an eye on it since all of my other plans got screwed.

Edit: I'm not seeing anything. Is it restricted by country or something?

tarepanda fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jun 11, 2011

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

tarepanda posted:

Thanks, I'll keep an eye on it since all of my other plans got screwed.

Edit: I'm not seeing anything. Is it restricted by country or something?

I can watch individual mats but that's all. The main video isn't working for me either

platero
Sep 11, 2001

spooky, but polite, a-hole

Pillbug

Undeclared Eggplant posted:

My school has had signs up about needing GB gis for a while now, but they don't seem to enforce it. Certainly they wouldn't enforce it for someone just visiting briefly.

When I got back into BJJ, I almost signed back up at one in town. They said that I couldn't sign up without buying a GB gi.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Winkle-Daddy posted:

So uh...do you guys have any other fun/unique/clever ideas for training in situations where your executive brain functions are fleeting, at best?

I think I'd just try to spar with someone much faster and stronger than me. Get clocked and outtechniqued at the same time -- you'll definitely have a hard time keeping your stuff together. But I think it is a good way to really gel your muscle memory.

Systema car work anyone? :woop::
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1ckXOkyLSk
I wish I could find the clip where he fucks people up with a credit card.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Hm on my screen I can watch the main broadcast and below that there's the links for the 4 mats.

better picture.

e: wow, its amazing watching someone from my club compete in another state live. He won too.
e2: He lost in the finals. Oh well, second is good too.

Nierbo fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Jun 11, 2011

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
So, i've decided to start putting together a martial arts library. I'm just looking for good overview/basics books. I've got Saulo Ribeiro's jiujitsu university, and I'm going to add Guerilla Jiujitsu and couple of John Will's books to that. I was after recommendations for the equivalents in Boxing, Muay Thai and Wrestling. I don't know what names to look for or even really what the book should have. I'm training as well, but it's good to have the theory.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
What are your goals, to learn about those arts specifically? Or to incorporate some of the techniques into your overall game/approach?

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

http://www.amazon.com/Kodokan-Judo-Essential-Founder-Jigoro/dp/4770017995/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1307774695&sr=8-1

A pretty solid book

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

kimbo305 posted:

What are your goals, to learn about those arts specifically? Or to incorporate some of the techniques into your overall game/approach?

the second thing. More to know what the elements of boxing are, for instance, in order to take the bits that work for me and incorporate it overall. I did it a bit when I was a kid, but being long and stringy at the time, I mostly just got face punched by short, squat Pacific Islander kids. I didn't stick with it.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I quite liked "The Art of Fighting Without Fighting" and "The Fence" by Geoff Thompson. Short and sweet, theory more than technique.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Great for learning all about Judo as an art, but for Judo as a sport (which I think is what the poster is looking for), I'd suggest "Best Judo" simply for the higher quality of pictures and more modern approach.

I've purchased at least 5 copies of each of them due to lending them out over the years and never getting them back. I've learned that the easiest way to make sure that somebody never comes back to practice is to lend them a gi or a book.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Jun 11, 2011

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Bohemian Nights posted:

Invent a new type of sensory deprivation tank, where you're just relaxing and having a good time, and then out of nowhere a dude just comes out of nowhere and starts loving wailing on you.

I snorted beer into my nose reading this to produce a very odd guffaw followed by a regular laugh. Well done.

Winkle-Daddy posted:

We kidnapped a friend (not martial artist) for his bachelor party this way. They were in a church for the baptism of his cousins kid. We conceived to ask his wife to take him out at certain moment and were waiting in ambush. When he asked her what's this about, four of us rushed from behind holding airsoft MP5's wearing balaclava, in total silence to avoid recognition, took him down, threw him into a pickup and blindfolded him while one of us was holding a glock to his head. Much fun was had by all!

Then we drove for 30 kilometers to a sauna and a feast holding a gun to his head in silence. He stopped shaking and probably figured out all's good when one of us raised a bottle of vodka to his lips after driving around for a bit... We also had a sign saying "BACHELOR PARTY LOL" we flashed to everyone (people who saw us from the car windows gave us weird glances) and informed the cops before we pulled this fun prank.

I imagine in some other country than Finland you could get shot and killed pulling out something like this though. The next day I had to take the weapons home, and rode a tram with a terrible hangover wearing camouflage cargo pants and shouldering various assault weapons, a few sticking out from a bag. Nobody came to the part of the tram where I sat (some actually walked in and turned around) except one woman who had just returned from living in Israel the other day and said "gently caress me, is it like this in Finland too now!"

I also somehow didn't get shot or even stopped by the cops or security. Those were times...

Ligur fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Jun 11, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Thoguh posted:

Great for learning all about Judo as an art, but for Judo as a sport (which I think is what the poster is looking for), I'd suggest "Best Judo" simply for the higher quality of pictures and more modern approach.

I've purchased at least 5 copies of each of them due to lending them out over the years and never getting them back. I've learned that the easiest way to make sure that somebody never comes back to practice is to lend them a gi or a book.

Sorry, is that the one by Inokuma and Sato? I'm putting an Amazon order together now.

• Locked thread