Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaiquiri
Mar 14, 2007

sethsez posted:

Honestly, is there anyone who doesn't think TNI is the best FLA?

Maybe it's because i wasn't a teen/early 20's in the 90's but i can't get into it that much. I mean it's pretty good but it's not something I'd listen to regularly and jam out to, there's so much better industrial stuff imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable

sethsez posted:

Honestly, is there anyone who doesn't think TNI is the best FLA?

I like Hard Wired better, just. Because of Mortal.

Brutulf
Nov 7, 2009
My brother told me he was going to a concert with Kant Kino a few days ago. They're pretty new and put out their first album last year - We are Kant Kino - you are not. I listened to it once and was completely hooked. Bought the album on iTunes and can't wait for a chance to see them live.

Some of their tracks from the album:

Submissive Nation

Stille

Owner of this house

This is why

What do you think? I like how they mix english and german in a way that ought to sound silly, but is still so drat catchy. They are Kant Kino, verstehen!

Samael Jackson
Aug 26, 2008

POWER OF THE MACK DAD
Honestly, I really like millennium. Like probably as much as tni. And probably Implode ranked after that.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!
Ladies and sirs of SA, I present to you my greatest work:

I had to pretend to be my friend's husband to get a very drunk Eskil from Covenant to stop hitting on her. It didn't really work. Instead, he challenged me to a duel. A chess duel.

Which of course made it obvious to me that he had heard so much about THE LEGENDARY AD·VER·SARY, and he was just too starstruck to ask for an autograph! So I wrote the nice kid out one.

You can't really tell in this photo, but he was actually drunk enough to be totally excited by the autograph. This is when my friend and I couldn't keep it together anymore, and we had to flee the scene.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

That's totally awesome. Did you get the chess match?

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Furret Basket posted:

That's totally awesome. Did you get the chess match?

It would have been amazing because he could hardly stand. But sadly my friend was not willing to be put up as the prize.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!
If you look really closely in the last photo, you can see that I filled in my Kinetik artist pass as The KLF.

EDGECRUSHER
Feb 28, 2001
I saw FLA at the Nile in Mesa, AZ last night. First time I ever saw them live.

Before, and especially after the show, everyone was absolutely 100% friendly. During the sound check, I talked with so many people that I honestly didn't know who they were. I just figured they worked either for the venue or were helping out. These were guys setting up, doing their thing, and just turning to you and engaging in conversation. Then, act after act, I see the same guys up on the stage: the guys from Hardwire, Cyanotic, and I think it was Jason? of DJ? Acucrack. FLA's drummer (I think his name was Josh?) was a great guy to meet, too.

When I finally got my time to meet Bill Leeb, I could tell he was tired-and I even made mention that I was honored enough to have finally seen them live, and just wanted to thank him for his music and let him get to his hotel. Almost 30 minutes later, he's signed my Total Terror CD case, my VIP badge thingy, taken a shitton of pictures with me, and talked about everything from touring in the down economy in the States, to Einstürzende Neubauten (my EN tat gave me away!), to what would hurt more: stung by a scorpion or bit by a snake (snakebite, hands down).

FLA will continue to be my favorite band, and the first CD/MP3 I play in every car I own.

Bill Leeb is one cool motherfucker.

(The last song of the night was Bio-Mechanic. I don't know how it could have been any better except not play in Mesa ever again because of their stupid noise curfew :argh: )

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Twiin posted:

It would have been amazing because he could hardly stand. But sadly my friend was not willing to be put up as the prize.

Hahaha that's awesome. When Covenant and And One toured, they came to Detroit. As I was standing there watching And One, I happened to turn and Eskil was standing there, so I shook his hand and told him I DJed at the local Industrial club and that Covenant was very popular there. He smiled, nodded and said "Thank you." then stood there awkwardly for a few moments of silence.

Then I said "That's all, you can go." and he kind of went "oh, um okay..." and wandered off looking confused.

:haw:

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

Twiin posted:

Ladies and sirs of SA, I present to you my greatest work:

I had to pretend to be my friend's husband to get a very drunk Eskil from Covenant to stop hitting on her. It didn't really work. Instead, he challenged me to a duel. A chess duel.

Which of course made it obvious to me that he had heard so much about THE LEGENDARY AD·VER·SARY, and he was just too starstruck to ask for an autograph! So I wrote the nice kid out one.

You can't really tell in this photo, but he was actually drunk enough to be totally excited by the autograph. This is when my friend and I couldn't keep it together anymore, and we had to flee the scene.

Was this at the Laibach concert at Tyrol?

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

EDGECRUSHER posted:

I saw FLA at the Nile in Mesa, AZ last night. First time I ever saw them live.

Before, and especially after the show, everyone was absolutely 100% friendly. During the sound check, I talked with so many people that I honestly didn't know who they were. I just figured they worked either for the venue or were helping out. These were guys setting up, doing their thing, and just turning to you and engaging in conversation. Then, act after act, I see the same guys up on the stage: the guys from Hardwire, Cyanotic, and I think it was Jason? of DJ? Acucrack. FLA's drummer (I think his name was Josh?) was a great guy to meet, too.

When I finally got my time to meet Bill Leeb, I could tell he was tired-and I even made mention that I was honored enough to have finally seen them live, and just wanted to thank him for his music and let him get to his hotel. Almost 30 minutes later, he's signed my Total Terror CD case, my VIP badge thingy, taken a shitton of pictures with me, and talked about everything from touring in the down economy in the States, to Einstürzende Neubauten (my EN tat gave me away!), to what would hurt more: stung by a scorpion or bit by a snake (snakebite, hands down).

FLA will continue to be my favorite band, and the first CD/MP3 I play in every car I own.

Bill Leeb is one cool motherfucker.

(The last song of the night was Bio-Mechanic. I don't know how it could have been any better except not play in Mesa ever again because of their stupid noise curfew :argh: )

Goddamn. That rules. I really hope they'll play a show here in Finland at some point, I don't think they've ever been here. At the moment FLA is dangerously close to becoming one of my favorite bands, and if they don't come here, I'm gonna have one more band I'll have to travel for on my list. If the mountain won't come to Muhammed...

Anyway, I asked the record shop to send me Implode in place of TNI, listening to this now. I'm digging it a lot, but I don't think any FLA album will ever be as mindfuckingly amazing to me as Civilization. I've listened to that loving CD at least once every day since I've had it :negative:

e: Prophecy is loving great

e2: Definitely liking the brooding mid-album stuff more than the beginning of the album.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jun 9, 2011

somethingwicked
May 5, 2006

Hai!

Doctor Zero posted:

Hahaha that's awesome. When Covenant and And One toured, they came to Detroit. As I was standing there watching And One, I happened to turn and Eskil was standing there, so I shook his hand and told him I DJed at the local Industrial club and that Covenant was very popular there. He smiled, nodded and said "Thank you." then stood there awkwardly for a few moments of silence.

Then I said "That's all, you can go." and he kind of went "oh, um okay..." and wandered off looking confused.

:haw:

I went on the 2010 Gothic Cruise that Covenant played on. Eskil kept himself hidden most of the time but he seemed like a nice fellow when he would show up for some of the late night clubs. I was talking to some of the girls on the trip and they were telling me that a couple times he would go door to door, piss drunk at about 3 in the morning trying to get girls to go swimming with him.

Interesting guy.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Twiin posted:

That "can you believe this is happening?" look is incredible.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

e: Prophecy is loving great

Prophecy is one of the best FLA songs ever. It doesn't get enough love.

I guess that's what happens when you have the best band in the world. So much to chose from...

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

somethingwicked posted:

I went on the 2010 Gothic Cruise that Covenant played on. Eskil kept himself hidden most of the time but he seemed like a nice fellow when he would show up for some of the late night clubs. I was talking to some of the girls on the trip and they were telling me that a couple times he would go door to door, piss drunk at about 3 in the morning trying to get girls to go swimming with him.

Interesting guy.

I knew some folks who went on that cruise a couple of years ago. They came back with video of Rogue singing "Yesterday".

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Thanks to this threads effusive love for FLA to convince me to give them another chance (in my 'now-that-I'm-and-adult-rediscovering-my-innner-rivethead' phase). For some reason when I was younger and angstier, I disliked FLA. Go figure.

TNI is the best album, hands down.

Mao Zedong Thot fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jun 9, 2011

EDGECRUSHER
Feb 28, 2001
That's really what has kept me a fan for so long: every album stands on its own. There is a bit of formula to the tracklist (heavy song, light song, vocal-less song, etc) but it just always comes out great. I've always loved their last track of the album, 'Downfall' being a close top of the list. poo poo, I saw Moon from hearing it

somethingwicked
May 5, 2006

Hai!

Pope Guilty posted:

I knew some folks who went on that cruise a couple of years ago. They came back with video of Rogue singing "Yesterday".

I would have preferred "Yesterday", because I watched Rogue sing Weird Al's "The Saga Begins" (the Star Wars one set to American Pie). Twice. Granted, the song was picked by a younger fan who didn't want to sing alone, so Rogue did it with him. I thought that was kind of nice.

This was about 10 minutes after we were chatting with him and he said he only likes to pick Karaoke songs that fit his 'vocal style'.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Twiin posted:

If you look really closely in the last photo, you can see that I filled in my Kinetik artist pass as The KLF.

You rule

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Hedenius posted:

Was this at the Laibach concert at Tyrol?

Festival Kinetik in Montreal!

Doctor Zero posted:

He is a weird dude for sure. My DJing partner played an industrial-rave back in the 90s that Covenant were also playing at, and she played really heavy -- Hellsau, Patric Catani, that kind of thing -- and Eskil came up to her and said "KEEP PLAYING ZE HARD MUSIC! VE LIKE ZE HARD MUSIC!" Then danced all night in a suit.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

polpotpotpotpotpot posted:

Thanks to this threads effusive love for FLA to convince me to give them another chance (in my 'now-that-I'm-and-adult-rediscovering-my-innner-rivethead' phase). For some reason when I was younger and angstier, I disliked FLA. Go figure.

TNI is the best album, hands down.

I wouldn't call myself a fan of FLA by any means (I think they're way too samey and the songs are incredibly predictable, it'd be nice to see Leeb shake up the song structures from time to time), but TNI definitely earned its classic status and Implode is one hell of an album as well.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

sethsez posted:

I wouldn't call myself a fan of FLA by any means (I think they're way too samey and the songs are incredibly predictable, it'd be nice to see Leeb shake up the song structures from time to time), but TNI definitely earned its classic status and Implode is one hell of an album as well.

I think there are FLA tracks from time-to-time that shake things up. Electrocution, Buried Alive, etc.

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP

EDGECRUSHER posted:

Before, and especially after the show, everyone was absolutely 100% friendly.

For whatever reason, all industrial shows I've been to have had absolutely the nicest crowds.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:

This album is loving amazing, it's past 2 AM and I just listened through it the third time in a row. gently caress. Every other FLA album I have (Caustic, Millennium, IED) is loving lame compared to this even when just a couple of days ago I thought they were pretty cool. Please tell me they have at least some other FLA albums more like this. I've got Tactical Neural Implant coming in the mail but now I'm afraid I won't care about it after listening to Civilization.

Epitaph is very close to the sound of Civilization at times. Especially tracks like Existance and Everything Must Perish. You'll see right away with the basslines and strings sound right off Civilization. IMO much less dated than TNI and like loving miles beyond stuff like Caustic Grip. If you really like the production and mixing and style of their newer stuff I'd definitely recommend Epitaph.

However this is coming from someone who dislikes dance-industrial, which I consider most FLA pre-1995.

Also I find the last 2 albums too separated in the aim of the songs, the fact that each song is a stereotype.. IE. this track is the metal track, this track is the dance track, this next one will be the slow track, this next one is the instrumental, this next one is the fast techno track, etc... as opposed to Epitaph and Civilization in which every track has elements of just about everything and IMO their best work.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

After all the talk about Civilization in this thread I decided to give it another shot, because when it came out I remember not really caring for it and I've kind of ignored it since then.

Which was pretty dumb, because this is fantastic. It's still third behind TNI and Implode for me, but it's definitely one hell of an album, and at this point I may consider revising my opinion of FLA a bit.

I still don't like Millennium, Hard Wired, Artificial Soldier or IED though (everything before Caustic Grip is complete garbage, and CG works better as a transitional album than anything else), and Epitaph is ridiculously uneven. The heavier FLA tries to get the worse they sound in my opinion. Honestly, the closer they are to Delerium the better.

Zaiquiri
Mar 14, 2007
That's funny since a lot of people tried to criticize Civilization as 'Delerium Line Assembly.'

I really liked that album though. It has a couple weak points but when it hits it hits hard.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Zaiquiri posted:

That's funny since a lot of people tried to criticize Civilization as 'Delerium Line Assembly.'

I really liked that album though. It has a couple weak points but when it hits it hits hard.

It's not an inaccurate description, I just don't think it's a bad thing at all. Leeb strikes me as someone more comfortable with soundscapes than pure aggression and it comes through in most of his stuff.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

So would you guys say Delerium is worth looking into? Where should I start? I don't think I've ever heard anything from that project.

Zaiquiri
Mar 14, 2007

sethsez posted:

It's not an inaccurate description, I just don't think it's a bad thing at all. Leeb strikes me as someone more comfortable with soundscapes than pure aggression and it comes through in most of his stuff.

Well yeah I think Civilization is a great track, which is a good example of the Leeb soundscapes combined with the Fulber aggressiveness he picked up during his absence.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

So would you guys say Delerium is worth looking into? Where should I start? I don't think I've ever heard anything from that project.

I personally adore really early Delerium like Faces, Forms and Illusions and Morphues. It starts out really dark and ambient, all of being gorgeous soundscapes. In later years it goes really poppy which is really not my thing at all.

I say start at the beginning.

Speaking of FLA, they just announced their European tour dates. No UK date. :wtc: Slovakia but no UK? :wtc:

Babby Sathanas fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Jun 11, 2011

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Furret Basket posted:

I personally adore really early Delerium like Faces, Forms and Illusions and Morphues. It starts out really dark and ambient, all of being gorgeous soundscapes. In later years it goes really poppy which is really not my thing at all.

I say start at the beginning.

Speaking of FLA, they just announced their European tour dates. No UK date. :wtc: Slovakia but no UK? :wtc:

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Also European dates :woop: No Finnish date, but Stockholm's such a short trip away that I think I'm gonna have to finally visit our beloved neighbours...

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jun 11, 2011

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

re: Delerium Semantic Spaces had a minor club hit in the form of "Incantation" but that album is still firmly seated in the electronica scene. If you're looking for ambient moody FLA instrumentals, then Semantic Spaces will probably be your threshold and the early stuff is what you want. Everything after Semantic Spaces careens off into goofy world music complete with Sarah Mclachalachalachlan and tribal chanting. Great if you want to host a yoga class for aging club goers. Not so keen if you are a CAT rear end now!! looking for an ideal soundtrack for conquering Finland.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

hatelull posted:

re: Delerium Semantic Spaces had a minor club hit in the form of "Incantation" but that album is still firmly seated in the electronica scene. If you're looking for ambient moody FLA instrumentals, then Semantic Spaces will probably be your threshold and the early stuff is what you want. Everything after Semantic Spaces careens off into goofy world music complete with Sarah Mclachalachalachlan and tribal chanting. Great if you want to host a yoga class for aging club goers. Not so keen if you are a CAT rear end now!! looking for an ideal soundtrack for conquering Finland.

I would say Flowers Become Screens is actually the bigger hit off that, at least around here. I recommend Delirium very highly, but as you say, it's not Electro-Industrial at all after Semantic Spaces- it's really closer to something like Enigma (which I also like). But it's more dance and club oriented, and if you like to watch the cute goth girls twisting around on the floor with their hands in the air, it's always a good thing to play.

It also has vocals by Kirsty Thirsk who I have to admit I'm very :swoon: over. She has the most amazing voice.

:allears:

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!
I like early Delerium a lot, but I think the album Ephemeral by the yet-another-Fulber-and-Leeb-project Synaesthesia is the perfect coalescence of the early Delerium synths and the later tribal influence.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

For Delerium, I like everything from Stone Tower through Karma. Yes, Karma is a blatant pop album and continues to pay for everything else Leeb does to this day, but it also happens to be a very good pop album. Everything after has had a few alright moments, but by and large hasn't grabbed me.

Edit: Also, CAT rear end now!!!, there's a much better chance of you having heard something from Delerium than you might think, considering how much "Silence" from Karma exploded. Let me tell you, it's weird as hell to hear a Bill Leeb bassline suddenly show up at a grocery store.

sethsez fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jun 11, 2011

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

It's always the Tiesto mix though. And yeah it's really loving weird, I found a Delerium album in my mums CD collection once.

spider_ross.avi
Jan 15, 2008

nnGUH

if youre really into cool futuristic soundscapes, I would recommend listening to the Spheres series of albums. They are really calming and sometimes even creepy in the 90s sci-fi horror kind of sense.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Apparently Stefan Ackermann of Das Ich is seriously sick and hospitalized, and they don't know if he'll be able to recover fully. That guy's never had it easy :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

Apparently Stefan Ackermann of Das Ich is seriously sick and hospitalized, and they don't know if he'll be able to recover fully. That guy's never had it easy :smith:

Oh my god that's literally the worst news I've heard for months. :(

I hope he gets better :smith: noooooo