Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Crossposting from the stupid questions thread because I somehow missed this thread, despite looking for it and it being on the front page.

Does anyone have recommendations for cheap ftlb torque wrenches? I was in at sears, but they didn't have anything cheap that would go to 20 or less, and a big part of why I want one is spark plugs.
Look for a 1/4" or 3/8" drive torque wrench if you want low torque values. Torque wrenches are hard to manufacturer to be accurate outside of certain ranges; the 1/2" you use for torquing head bolts is not likely to be any good below 20ft-lbs. Harbor Freight has a big parking lot sale this weekend, btw.

Not to go all ghetto, but, if you just need a few ft-pounds and only use it very occasionally, you can do the math and use a fish scale and ruler with a ratchet and be about as accurate as a $20 torque wrench.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
Don't use a torque wench in the top or bottom 10% of the scale, either.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

Yeah looking at the price in the system that the store bought it for ($404) makes the deal about as low as it can go before I'm actually taking profit from them.

I found a bunch of reviews about it failing, (head gaskets blowing and poo poo like that), so I'm not sure. I just thought that I would be looking at spending around 400-500 on a used 60 gallon (right? or am I wrong?) and if I could get a brand new one for that price range, sure.

Brand new you can buy this or this in that range. They're the same thing, the home depot one is refurbished.

I'd look in the $200-300 range used. It can be really frustrating, because it's such a small market that prices tend to vary wildly. For example, $200 for a 10 year old speedaire is a good deal. It might need a rebuild, but kits are available, cheap, and it's an easy job. $500 for an obviously poorly maintained compressor from a company that stopped selling that line 15 years ago is stupid. $100 for this home-rigged, 40+ year old, .25-.5hp time bomb is just insane.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Motronic posted:

That's more of a software problem than anything. I just had to update my software to scan a Hyundai Santa Fe that just wouldn't connect. The software update added a "slow start" version of one of the protocols it uses and it now connects about 75% of the time.

Standards are awesome. There are so many to choose form.

Eh, in this case it really is a hardware issue. I have an actual ElmScan5 that connects perfectly to the same truck with the same laptop and same software on said laptop, but the cheap Chinese BT dongle refuses to. Part of the fun with OBDII standards is the different standards all have different physical interfaces - yes, they share an OBDII connector, and +12V/G are always in the same spots, but that's it. I suspect the cheap Chinese ripoff didn't properly implement the circuitry needed to speak to J1850 PWM. It's a pretty common complaint of all of the cheap Chinese ripoffs on the Torque wiki.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I think the local harbor freight closed, actually. I went looking last night, and found a for lease sign in the window. Maybe they just moved. The sears didn't have anything less than $100 for 3/8 and <25 pounds max. I guess if there isn't a harbor freight, I should start looking on the internet.

The beam ones are the ones with the actual needle, right? I took a basic auto shop class a while back, and they most they covered those was "These are the old ones, you might see them around once in a while, but you will probably never have to use them."

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

edit: My first double-post on SA. How special.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00944690000P?prdNo=10&blockNo=10&blockType=G10

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Yeah I'm looking now for a used model and finding some decent deals. Speedaires are pretty swell then eh? Looks like new 60 gallons go for 1200 bucks.

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

grover posted:

I Want To Believe this poo poo will get cheap and common soon, but there's gotta be some valid reason they're charging over $1k for a 0.003 megapixel camera...

I've got an industrial FLIR on my desk right now, waiting to be integrated into our software suite. $12,000 for 320x240. These things are cool toys and probably very useful in the right circumstances but that's a shitload of money whichever way you put it. Just hope I don't spill coffee on it :ohdear:.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
So I bought the Harbor Freight Automotive Multimeter for 20% with a coupon. It works pretty well, except for measuring RPMs. For whatever reason, I have to disconnect the COM wire, and it reads my RPM at 50% ish of what it really is.

Weird.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
I got a Harbor Freight 'Earthquake' 1/2" drive air impact gun and so far it is pretty sweet. It was around $70 after being on sale and using a 20% off coupon. It is supposed to be pretty similar to an Ingersoll 'Thunder' impact gun that is quite a bit more expensive.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Are the Pittsburgh torque wrenches they have at Harbor Freight good enough to use? They are clickers, rather than beam ones, at pretty much the same price as the Sears beam one linked up-page, so I'm a bit worried.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
The OP is from 2004 and the floor jack he mentions has doubled in price to $199 at harborfreight. I'm going to check costco for the $99 Arcan 3.5 floor jack, but what's the current quality bargain floor jack and jack stands these days? I'm guessing those 3 ton $29 jack stands on HF's site are crap.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Are the Pittsburgh torque wrenches they have at Harbor Freight good enough to use? They are clickers, rather than beam ones, at pretty much the same price as the Sears beam one linked up-page, so I'm a bit worried.

Depends on what you're doing. It is just putting lug nuts on or other non-precision fasteners (where "close enough" is fine) go for it, but I wouldn't put an engine back together with one.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Geoj posted:

Depends on what you're doing. It is just putting lug nuts on or other non-precision fasteners (where "close enough" is fine) go for it, but I wouldn't put an engine back together with one.

I've put a transmission and the bottom end of a motor together with cheapo harbor freight clickers. Neither had any problems from it. Some goon even tested them and made spreadsheets and poo poo and showed they were fine.

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

blargle posted:

I'm guessing those 3 ton $29 jack stands on HF's site are crap.

They look exactly the same as the cheapo Machine Mart jackstands which are sturdy enough. The ones to avoid are the stands with the round stamped metal support, instead of a nice solid one like these have. It's nice to get ones with a properly welded base - I don't know if these have that.

pim01 fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Jun 12, 2011

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

blargle posted:

The OP is from 2004 and the floor jack he mentions has doubled in price to $199 at harborfreight.
The date immediately under the username is registration date, it's the date at the bottom that shows posting date (March 3rd 2008).

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
There's also a $60 off coupon in the June HF ad for that jack...

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Lowclock posted:

I've put a transmission and the bottom end of a motor together with cheapo harbor freight clickers. Neither had any problems from it. Some goon even tested them and made spreadsheets and poo poo and showed they were fine.
I'll get one, then. I'm mostly wanting one for getting maintenance stuff into proper spec. The most complicated thing I've done is replace the struts on my Subaru, with help. I have no plans to rebuild an engine any time soon.

edit: Thanks to this thread, by the way. Went down and picked one up.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jun 13, 2011

Hit an Apex
Dec 2, 2004

Real Racing. Real Sport.

InitialDave posted:

The date immediately under the username is registration date, it's the date at the bottom that shows posting date (March 3rd 2008).

I've watched this thread grow since then. The floor jack is still awesome, but now more expensive. I still see them all the time at the race track :siren:

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010
My boss has been buying torx bits from harbor freight. I easily twist and bend them using them in the machine shop. Can someone suggest some quality bits that wont round off screws and bend constantly? I end up grinding them down all the time but it ruins screws that are about $3-6 each.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Lord Gaga posted:

My boss has been buying torx bits from harbor freight. I easily twist and bend them using them in the machine shop. Can someone suggest some quality bits that wont round off screws and bend constantly? I end up grinding them down all the time but it ruins screws that are about $3-6 each.
HF is for occasional or light use.Snap-On is for professional use.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010
Yea that's what I thought of too but I generally find that there are quality machine shop brands that don't have the marketing of Snap On or MAC but have the quality. That said for $20, it's probably worth it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Lord Gaga posted:

machine shop brands that don't have the marketing

....or lifetime no questions asked warranty

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
You might try stanley blackhawk or proto brands but I don't know if they are cheaper or good.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Elephanthead posted:

You might try stanley blackhawk or proto brands but I don't know if they are cheaper or good.

More expensive, but much better.
To be honest, HF impact sockets and most of their hand tools have come a long way. Their ratchets are awesome, their Earthquake air tools are wicked strong (although heavy and loud). I know several professional mechanics who have HF stuff in their boxes. Laugh if you want, but they aren't in debt to the Truck-man.

:read this:
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67850

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jun 14, 2011

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I have about 50 bucks to spend.

Any recommendations on what to spend it on? Right now I am doing mostly small engine work due to the summer. AI needs to direct me to spend money.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
Just got the Arcan XL35R 3.5 ton jack at costco for $99, very impressed with how heavy duty it is. And I mean that literally, it weighs 101 lbs.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Any recommendations on what to spend it on? Right now I am doing mostly small engine work due to the summer. AI needs to direct me to spend money.

What do you have now? If you don't have anything, a good 1/4" socket set, along with a good set of wrenches would be a start.

If you already have a set of tools, its all about what you find yourself wishing you had. I needed crowsfoot wrenches for my last job, so I bought them recently.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Awesome!

I noticed he had this brake piston tool:
http://www.harborfreight.com/18-piece-disc-brake-pad-and-caliper-service-tool-kit-97143.html

Seems like it would work fine, right? Nothing too complicated to screw up. I'll eventually need one for my VW, though that's a couple years away based on how much the pads have worn.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I'm trying to build up a small tool collection to learn to work on my truck and motorcycle. If I can't afford snap-on or mac, is crafsman my next best choice?

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao
Craftsman will work fine for working on your own stuff but personally I would at least invest in Snap-On or Mac ratchets. I find that they're much nicer to use than the Craftsmans I've tried due to finer engagement mechanisms. If you can, get a flex head for your 3/8" ratchet no matter who manufactures it - you can get it into a lot more spots with less hassle.

MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

Go ahead, laugh. They all laugh at first...

Uthor posted:

Awesome!

http://www.harborfreight.com/18-piece-disc-brake-pad-and-caliper-service-tool-kit-97143.html

Seems like it would work fine, right? Nothing too complicated to screw up. I'll eventually need one for my VW, though that's a couple years away based on how much the pads have worn.

Yeah, they work just fine. You can also borrow one from AutoZone fo' free, if you prefer.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

Uthor posted:

Awesome!

I have a similar kit with less parts that comes in a red box for like 20 bucks. My only problem is the incredibly stupid pin that holds it all together, all it would take is a little spot weld to keep it in there but the only thing holding it in is friction. After swearing at it a few times it works fine though.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Edit: I are tard.

Sorry I have a nice set of sockets, wrenches, ratchets, and extensions. The tool box is also chocked full of random sized screw drivers.

I think some nice clamping style pliers with various noses. Also some nice pliers and so forth. Mine just suck/missing. That AI is what I need to buy.

BrokenKnucklez fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jun 14, 2011

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009
Have you got a reasonable dial or digital caliper?

Perhaps a reasonable tap and die set could be had for that money?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Hughmoris posted:

I'm trying to build up a small tool collection to learn to work on my truck and motorcycle. If I can't afford snap-on or mac, is crafsman my next best choice?

Your next best choice is Snap-On or Mac from a used tool place like Re-Tool.

Then Craftsman.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Motronic posted:

Your next best choice is Snap-On or Mac from a used tool place like Re-Tool.

Then Craftsman.

Remember, there are top-quality tools made by US companies that aren't distributed by truck. S-K is a personal favorite. Lots of US Military toolsets are S-K. Proto is another good one to look for with a price tag 1/2 that of Snap-On, Mac, Matco, or Cornwell.

Craftsman stuff has really fallen in quality in the past 10 years. At this point, I'd take Harbor Freight over Craftsman. Same quality, same warranty, half the cost.

Of course, all of this warranty talk requires there to be a place to exchange the tools nearby. If your nearest HF is 60 miles, and there's a Sears around the corner, Craftsman is a good bet.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao
The sockets and wrenches should be fine but the ratchets have definitely dropped in terms of quality. My dad has a 20 year old 3/8 ratchet, nothing fancy, but it still works just as good as the day he bought it with no play to it at all. Its never been used for automotive work but I wouldn't hesitate to if it was necessary. I was given new 1/2 and 3/8 Craftsmans and they're abysmal. Very loose and sloppy and overall not fun to work with, they feel like a $5 desperation purchase from Autozone. I don't like having to turn them 90º just to engage the next tooth, especially in a tight spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

sharkytm posted:

same warranty

I think HF's warranty is better because they don't fight you tooth and nail on it. I've never had an experience with HF where it was anything but walk in with broken tool and walk out with new tool five minutes later, no questions asked. Sears OTOH is a crap shoot.