Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Captain Beans posted:

About the play the uncharted games starting with 1. I've heard the difficulty level just makes guns do more damage even vs enemies and I should play with it turned up so the bad dudes are not bullet sponges. Is this true? Should I start on Hard? or is there a higher difficulty I should be on?

Nope. Enemies take a billion bullets regardless of difficulty. Beating hard unlocks crushing which is practically one-hit deaths. If you're in it for the plot then stick to easy or normal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warren
Aug 9, 2009

What the-
Any tips for the Spirit Engine 2? My team is Kaltos, Charlotte, and Enshadu

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.
I guess the fact that there are heavy gold bars in the vault in "Dead Money" didn't seem that spoilery to me because the week that DLC was released the primary discussion in almost every Fallout forum, here and elsewhere, was how to get all the gold out of the vault. The real spoiler is that there was no new technology available to the player there, or that Elijah betrays you and you have a limited time to get out of the vault after getting in there, or any number of different revelations made in the game that I did not allude to. I'm sorry if I spoiled someone who managed to avoid reading anything at all about that DLC, but I was trying to give some useful information to help make a decision when you get to it without telling you about anything but the relative value of gold to other items you can get and techniques for unloading it.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

ClearAirTurbulence posted:

I guess the fact that there are heavy gold bars in the vault in "Dead Money" didn't seem that spoilery to me because the week that DLC was released the primary discussion in almost every Fallout forum, here and elsewhere, was how to get all the gold out of the vault. The real spoiler is that there was no new technology available to the player there, or that Elijah betrays you and you have a limited time to get out of the vault after getting in there, or any number of different revelations made in the game that I did not allude to. I'm sorry if I spoiled someone who managed to avoid reading anything at all about that DLC, but I was trying to give some useful information to help make a decision when you get to it without telling you about anything but the relative value of gold to other items you can get and techniques for unloading it.

Although I see your point, you have to remember that the name of the thread is "What should I know before I play this game for the first time?", so the people asking about a game generally wont have been following any threads/forums about the game, as they havent played it yet!

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:
I'm thinking of getting FO:NV because I liked how open-world Fallout 2 was. Is NV more or less open then FO2?

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Any tips for Men of War and its sequels?

Astfgl
Aug 31, 2001

Sam. posted:

I'm thinking of getting FO:NV because I liked how open-world Fallout 2 was. Is NV more or less open then FO2?

I'd say more. FO2 was great, but things were pretty fixed. NV is good at giving you a real sense of having changed the landscape of the Mojave and there are a ton of ways in which to do so.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Sam. posted:

The game encourages you towards a certain path, (Goodsprings -> Primm -> Nipton -> Novac -> Boulder City -> The Strip) but you can tell the setpieces to go gently caress themselves from square 1, just like in FO2.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010

Sam. posted:

I agree with the others that FO:NV is as open or more open than Fallout 2. Fallout 2 did have some things that would happen at certain times regardless of where you spent your time, while FO:NV doesn't have anything like that. Some would argue that it is too open that way, as nothing happens until you get there and interact with it. Time doesn't really mean anything, while in FO2 you had both the scheduled events and the fact that your reputation spread from town to town at a fixed rate, so you could outrun your bad rep in some situations if you didn't dick around.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Sam. posted:

Its kind of hard not to reccomend New Vegas. If you've played Morrowind, Oblivion, or even Fallout 3 and you liked the free roaming in those you will like the new vegas free roaming. Fallout 3 and Oblivion have far fewer interesting characters and much less detailed quests so don't be put off by me saying that. I'm just saying you will be wandering out in the desert for a time which you never really do in Fallout 2.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Captain Beans posted:

About the play the uncharted games starting with 1. I've heard the difficulty level just makes guns do more damage even vs enemies and I should play with it turned up so the bad dudes are not bullet sponges. Is this true? Should I start on Hard? or is there a higher difficulty I should be on?

You really should start on normal. The enemies kill you in seconds on the harder difficulties which should only be played if you really enjoy the game (and know where those cheap loving close quarters shotgun enemies spawn.) If you want to kill them quickly aim for headshots or use magnums and shotguns whenever possible. I never got the "bullet sponge" complaint in the game, anyway. The enemies in Gears of War are sponges. The bosses in Max Payne are bullet sponges. The enemies in this game can't take even close to the amount of bullets those can, and are stunned every time you hit them for that matter (also headshots actually work).

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I just got inFamous and Dead Nation for free by way of apology from PSN. Any tips? More for Dead Nation, which I've never heard of.

Scientastic fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Jun 13, 2011

Astfgl
Aug 31, 2001

Dead Nation is really REALLY straightforward, but here's some advice:

Force yourself to learn the power-up shot as it's almost necessary on later maps when you're surrounded by huge hordes of zombies.

Be diligent about exploring each map for item chests and cash.

Hit every car you see before blowing it up for extra money.

Stand closer to monsters when you kill them for extra points.

When you start encountering screaming monsters that summon hordes of minions, learn to spot them and eliminate them from a distance.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Seconding the request for info about inFAMOUS, and also requesting tips for Final Fantasy IV: The After Years. I know how to play basic JRPGs, and this is as simple as they come, but I've finished Ceodore's chapter and keep finding things I should have done, such as take the equipment off of Cecil before his part was finished. I'd appreciate tips about which characters are great and which are worthless, too.

pizza valentine
Sep 19, 2007

DON'T FAKE THE FUNK
Grimey Drawer
Anything for The Sly Cooper Collection? Specifically 2 and 3.

I actually finished 1 earlier today and jumped into 2 but it feels like a much different game. Also I've heard that they stripped the audio commentaries from 1 even though the game doesn't tell you this. Is this confirmed? I don't mind doing the time trials but I'd hate to go back and do them all for nothing.

unleash the unicorn
Dec 23, 2004

If this boat were sinking, I'd give my life to save you. Only because I like you, for reasons and standards of my own. But I couldn't and wouldn't live for you.
Not sure if this is in tune with the "what should I know before I play this game" theme of this thread, but:

I keep running into a wall playing TW:Medieval II. I conquer a couple cities and so on, but then the armies I need to defend those cities eat up all my income and I can't afford another army to conquer things with. Any help?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

unleash the unicorn posted:

Not sure if this is in tune with the "what should I know before I play this game" theme of this thread, but:

I keep running into a wall playing TW:Medieval II. I conquer a couple cities and so on, but then the armies I need to defend those cities eat up all my income and I can't afford another army to conquer things with. Any help?

Don't know about TW, but warfare in general has a pretty simple rule. Don't be on the defensive. Defense eats up money while giving the potential for safety, and allows potential aggressors to amass a force that will steamroll whatever defensive force you were able to keep at a point. Offensive is fluid, defensive is static.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

Jjaarreett posted:

Anything for The Sly Cooper Collection? Specifically 2 and 3.

I actually finished 1 earlier today and jumped into 2 but it feels like a much different game. Also I've heard that they stripped the audio commentaries from 1 even though the game doesn't tell you this. Is this confirmed? I don't mind doing the time trials but I'd hate to go back and do them all for nothing.

There's not all that much I can tell you since the games do a pretty good job of explaining everything you need to know, but I've been playing the Sly Cooper series since Day 1 so I could still give you some tips:

For Sly 2:

- Some of the clue bottles in the last area can only be reached with the Jump Pack that you can only use in the "Mega Jump Job" mission, so if you're the collectionist type you should keep that in mind.

- Try to do the Bentley missions last. Reason being is that once you complete all the missions of a set you'll be teleported back to the safehouse, so it'll save you some extra travel time as the weakest of the 3 characters.

- Get the Hover Pack and Paraglider abilities ASAP. They speed up travel time immensely.

For Sly 3:

In the "Dead Men Tell No Tales" area, you can be a pirate! Once you get about halfway through the area's missions you'll unlock a Pirate Ship that you can use, and you get obscene amounts of money from pirateering so it's recommended to abuse it if you're hurting for cash.

- There's 3 "special" attacks you can use as Sly: Spin, Push and Jump, which are activated by pushing the triangle button and hitting Square, Circle and X respectively. The order of good-ness is probably Jump (level 2 and 3 Jump electrocutes enemies :eng101:)>Spin>Push, so that's probably the order that you should buy the upgrades for them in.

- Ignore the stuff about the optimizer goggles. When the game first game out Sucker Punch included 3-D glasses (to go with the comic book aesthetic of the series) with the game which you could use for some missions, and that was the in-game reasoning for it. The glasses obviously aren't present in the Sly Collection.

- Fun Fact: as the Guru, when you're possessing an enemy, you can get them to attack with Square. It serves no purpose whatsoever (well, it does hurt enemies, but Guru missions are hardly focused on combat), but it's kind of a cool pseudo-Easter Egg.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Apart from aggressively expanding, or at least proactively sending out your armies to chop up anything looking vaguely threatening, you can try tying up enemy forces to buy yourself some time to rebuild and train new troops. Sending spies into cities will destabilise them, requiring their owners to construct new happy-people-making buildings (which will divert money from military pursuits) and/or maintaining a sizable garrison (which keeps the troops in question off your back). This is of course more effective still when you put effort into sabotaging structures that reduce unrest and assassinating capable commanders.

Kid Moe
Mar 18, 2009

Hello Mr.Thompson
Any tips for Zelda: Spirit Tracks?

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

I usually end up playing medieval 2 as france or england so your mileage may vary but you are building the cities right aren't you? You need lots of land development, ports, roads and market upgrades. Also trade agreements, you need to send your diplomat guy around as fast as you can.

If its just a territory thing try to target cities more than keeps. Keeps earn a lot less money. Also when you take a few cities from one country you should keep rolling forwards. The chances are you have already killed the best of their army so you don't want to let them build another one. If you are low on infantry just pick up some mercaneries. They are the first guys through the gate or they lock down better infantry so your guys can take them in the side or back. They do all the dying so you don't have much of an upkeep cost.

You also don't need a lot of troops in your cities. Unless they are a different religeon. You can stock up on lovely troops to garrison them if need be. They are much cheaper and keep the same amount of order, or so I think. If your cities are constantly unhappy there is probably an enemy spy in there. So you need to have a spy in most of your border cities to eject the enemy spy. An assassin when you can get one is good too.

Oh and try not to piss off the pope too much at the start if you are playing a christian nation. You need the other christian nations to trade with. He is going to hate you eventually but if you can delay that it soon won't matter anymore.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

A few things: Your garrisons in cities should usually be minimal unless it's on the frontier of an area where you're at war or there's been threatening movements near the border lately. Armies are expensive and any time they're not seizing territory or actively beating back invaders they're mostly wasted.

Reiterating focus more on cities than on castles.

Also, aggressively lobby the Pope for Crusades or, if you're a Muslim nation, call your own jihads. They're not just cool opportunities -- they're pretty much an economic necessity, allowing you to take entire armies off your payroll for a while and invest in civic improvements and blaze a trail of conquered nations along the way -- especially taking wealthy areas like Constantinople.

For all the stuff I hated about M2, the economic value and political opportunism of the Crusades is replicated very nicely.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

PrinnySquadron posted:

Any tips for Men of War and its sequels?

Original Men of War:

Use cover, be careful, try not to loose your guys.
Biggest tank wins.
Steal the enemies stuff, especially MG42, STG44 and tanks.
When fighting tanks, try to knock out their turret. The crew will bail out, and you can steal the tank. Drive it back to your line and repair it.

Men of War: Assault Squad:

ORDER MORE INFANTRY
Biggest tank no longer wins, the best positioned tank does.
Use APCR shots if you have a small caliber gun versus heavy armor. Get close first!
Use direct control against AT guns, and start by damaging it with AP rounds. Then either steal it, drive over it to destroy it, or use HE shells until it's blown into bits, or turns rusty.
Make sandbagwalls with your infantry if they are going to stay somewhere for a while, unless there is something else to hide behind.
Remember to resupply your squads with MG ammo. Grab it from the destroyed enemy tanks/vehicles. They usually have 2000+ MG ammo in them.
If you play against the germans, grab their MG42 and throw away the crap your MG guy is using.
Try to flank the positions and steal their AT guns. Especially the german 88's.
Combined arms. Never drive ahead with a tank alone, nor infantry alone, though latter might be ok.
Order more infantry if you are close to 2000 points. You don't pay upkeep, and you can't have to many.
Establish layered defence, don't have all your troops on the frontline. Keep some in the back.

For Assault Squad multiplayer:

PLAY UNRANKED! When you feel that you are good, start playing ranked. Just don't start out with it, as you will get a horribly low rank and noone will want to play with you.

Dunno-Lars fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jun 13, 2011

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

Scientastic posted:

I just got inFamous and Dead Nation for free by way of apology from PSN. Any tips? More for Dead Nation, which I've never heard of.

For InFamous:

- Pick a morality path, and stick to it: if you go good, then always do the good actions. There is nothing story-wise to be gained by riding the fence, and you may end up locking yourself out of some powers if you're spreading alignment.
- The powers on the good side are mostly about precision and power while the evil powers are more about wanton destruction (i.e. area damage).
- I would do a 'good' playthrough for a first playthrough, as it tends to be a bit easier. In particular, there is a very useful good alignment power upgrade where you can recharge some power for hitting enemies.
- I'm sure it explains it somewhere in the tutorial or manual, but just in case: push in the left thumb stick and it will ping a radar that shows blast shards.
- If you're really anal about trophies, don't be in a hurry to knock out all the side missions. Every side mission you complete causes a segment of the city to cease being under enemy control, and enemy spawn rates in these areas is drastically decreased. If you're trying to farm stunts, that can make it dramatically harder.
- Re: collecting all the blast shards: There is at least one shard that doesn't show up on radar and is often the last one people need, and it is at the top of the super tall building near ground zero. (Spoilered just in case someone doesn't want the help.)

Astfgl
Aug 31, 2001

ChetReckless posted:

- I would do a 'good' playthrough for a first playthrough, as it tends to be a bit easier. In particular, there is a very useful good alignment power upgrade where you can recharge some power for hitting enemies.

I totally disagree. With the good side you have to be more cautious when fighting outdoors as civilian casualties are always a problem. The good powers are useful, to be sure, but more difficult to learn to use effectively.

In contrast, when you play evil you can literally blow up everything in sight and this will actually help improve your abilities. Whenever you're without a proper power source to recharge, you can just incapacitate an enemy/civilian and drain them for a full recharge.

Both sides have their merits, and the good story is definitely the one the game pushes as "canon" but I've always found that the evil playthrough is waaaaay easier the first time around. You just kill everything you see.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Bigass Moth posted:

Considering you can get infinite weapon repair kits from Sierra Madre chips, the gold bars aren't really much of an incentive over full repaired superweapons.

ClearAirTurbulence posted:

I didn't claim the gold was the only thing in the vault, and this is really something a person should know before going in there, because the first temptation is to drop all the loot you are carrying to get as much gold out as possible, when in reality a lot of the loot you will carry into the vault will be more valuable per pound than the gold.

The Capm posted:

This is true. If you're not playing hardcore, the same applies to ammo. I went to the gun runners and bought every single piece of ammo they had with my gold. Weightless and good trade value.

(Above are New Vegas DLC spoilers)

Thanks for not putting these spoilers inside spoilers tags, assholes. I didn't read the spoilers because I didn't want them. Good job.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit

Kid Moe posted:

Any tips for Zelda: Spirit Tracks?

I'm playing it right now, I guess I can suggest some stuff, but there's not much different from the first time around.

- There's a similar concept to the Ocean King's temple from the first game, but there is no time limit. Rejoice.

- Talk to the furry giant rabbit in the forest map to get a net to catch those rabbits you see around you. You can get a pretty easy heart container from doing that.

- Collect shitloads of rupees. You can buy a heart container with them.

- To access Beedle's shop, sound your whistle when it gets near. He shows up before you get the letter explaining that and I was confused at first. He sells the Bomb Bag for 500 Rupees, so again, farm them all you can.

- Don't try to outrun those loving exploding kill-you-trains. They'll catch up eventually, although you can slow them down by shooting them constantly. Avoid them by switching tracks, or by slowing down/stopping until you know you can pass them.

- You can revisit old parts of the Spirit Tower to get treasure items once you have new equipment.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Astfgl posted:

I totally disagree. With the good side you have to be more cautious when fighting outdoors as civilian casualties are always a problem. The good powers are useful, to be sure, but more difficult to learn to use effectively.

Seconding Good as the easier path because one of the good AOE powers is non-lethal and can be spammed around civilians as long as you don't set off a secondary environmental explosion like a car.

Worst part of Evil is civilians throwing rocks for practically 0 damage, but still knocking you off of platforms and climbable objects.

Either way, only do the small karmic actions like healing civilians if you're grinding levels or roleplaying. The good/evil from your choices at cinematics essentially determines the ending.

jscolon2.0 fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jun 13, 2011

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

Astfgl posted:

In contrast, when you play evil you can literally blow up everything in sight and this will actually help improve your abilities. Whenever you're without a proper power source to recharge, you can just incapacitate an enemy/civilian and drain them for a full recharge.

Both sides have their merits, and the good story is definitely the one the game pushes as "canon" but I've always found that the evil playthrough is waaaaay easier the first time around. You just kill everything you see.

It's possible that the lack of recharge-through-shooting-dudes combined with the annoyance of pissed citizens constantly harassing you may have coloured me against an evil run. Either way, if you're playing on normal, either alignment will get you there.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Returning to Far Cry 2: What's the point of scouting guard posts? They treat it like it's going to give you a tactical advantage but I can't figure out anything it really does beyond "hey you know that ammo and health and stuff you can get for free at a safehouse or armory? You can totally waste your time and fight for it here."

Achmed Jones posted:

(Above are New Vegas DLC spoilers)

Thanks for not putting these spoilers inside spoilers tags, assholes. I didn't read the spoilers because I didn't want them. Good job.

Yeah. I was up in the air about New Vegas DLC. Kind of don't want to bother now.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Dead Money is still worth getting, they've spoiled something kind of big but there is alot more to it than just what was spoiled.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Returning to Far Cry 2: What's the point of scouting guard posts? They treat it like it's going to give you a tactical advantage but I can't figure out anything it really does beyond "hey you know that ammo and health and stuff you can get for free at a safehouse or armory? You can totally waste your time and fight for it here."

Yeah. I was up in the air about New Vegas DLC. Kind of don't want to bother now.

There is no point whatsoever. You go through so many of them its ridiculous. There is no way you are going to scout each of them without having a psychaitrist's diagnosis of ocd. If you are low on anything you have a look around for whatever you want and that's that.

Maybe its meaningful on the hardest difficulty in a game where you can only save in safehouses.

Dead Money is totally worth it. They are talking about the least interesting thing about the dlc. If you have played through new vegas and you are going with a savegame then you already have more items and money than you will ever need. Its a fantastic addition and its about how you get on with people in a hosed up environment and obsession. Its not about the loving loot. Honest Hearts is less worth it.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I liked Honest Hearts, but that was partially for the Survivalist and partially because i was on Hardcore mode.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

I'm not saying honest hearts is bad just that its too short and the main quest doesn't have enough thrust. Its fine but you could totally miss it and be no worse off. I thought Dead Money was much better.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

ChetReckless posted:

It's possible that the lack of recharge-through-shooting-dudes combined with the annoyance of pissed citizens constantly harassing you may have coloured me against an evil run. Either way, if you're playing on normal, either alignment will get you there.

And to reiterate, killing civilians barely has any affect on your alignment. The choose-your-alignment segments in the missions and the good/evil side missions determine the bulk of your alignment. I was good and still racked up 50 civilian deaths at the end of a mission with major hit to my alignment.

Now inFamous 2 has a good power (the first you unlock, actually) that causes all your attacks to effectively do no damage to civilians making it easier to go hog wild.

Kid Moe
Mar 18, 2009

Hello Mr.Thompson
Thanks for the tips on spirit tracks, i tend to have a lot of trouble with the bomb train things, just finished the second spirit tower section, i assume i'll get some kind of weapon for my train soon so i can deal with them properly?

Also, any tips for Dragon Quest 6 for DS? Just general things about stuff i could miss or things the game may not tell me which could be useful, i always tend to have trouble figuring out where to go on DQ games :(

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Stealthgerbil posted:

Counter Strike 1.6
-Remember that people can hear you when you run, so walk if you are about to enter an area with hostiles or if you are sneaking.
-Always use the small cross hair size.
-The scout is more accurate in the first level of magnification on the scope, the second level, while closer, actually isn't as accurate.
-If you are CT, always buy a kit.... enough said.
-if you are a T, when you get into the bomb site and it is clear hit c-4 to radio in 'sector clear', it is a big help for the bomb runner.
-Also if you are the bomb runner, never charge in first. Your job is to make it to the bomb site alive and unhurt so you can protect it well.
-It is easy to wall people if you pop out for a split second and then just fire through the wall where they are. If you know the map well enough to can adjust for them running as well. Alternatively, you can spam common spots. In 1.6 weapons do more damage through walls then in source, so it is a more common tactic.
-The famas is possibly the best rifle in the game, simply because the 3 shot burst can kill people instantly. However you need good aim.
-Do not use an SMG if possible. They cannot shoot through walls, do minimal damage at a distance, and are more inaccurate then most rifles.
-The key to killing people is burst fire. The guns in 1.6 are very accurate when fired in bursts.
-If you do spray at a person, you can compensate for your spray by aiming lower. Just watch where your bullets hit and adjust accordingly..

I saw this on the first page, but does anyone have any good guides or tips for an FPS veteran that still has trouble with Counter-Strike Source playing bots on "Hard"? Playing Gungames in 1.6 for a while helped me get accustomed to most of the weapons and their recoil but when I have my crosshair on a bot in Source, it seems like a 50/50 chance if I hit them or not (burst fire with an M4 mostly if that matters).

Also, I would love some beginner's tips in TFC. I never could take my game to the next level there and am just somewhat effective getting occasional frags with a Soldier. Come to think of it, I was never good in UT or Q3, either. How does one become a good twitch gamer? :(

Basically, please tell me how to not suck in a fast-paced multi-player shooters like the ones above.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Kid Moe posted:

Also, any tips for Dragon Quest 6 for DS? Just general things about stuff i could miss or things the game may not tell me which could be useful, i always tend to have trouble figuring out where to go on DQ games :(

Once you can give your characters classes, keep a close eye on them to make sure they're gaining class experience. It's entirely possible that you will grind your character levels high enough that you no longer accumulate class experience by fighting in a particular area. The most likely candidate for this is Carver; if you see that he's no longer gaining levels in his class, it's time to move on to a new area.

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010
Heya, I asked this a few pages ago but didn't get a reply, so I figured I'd ask about Gratuitous Space Battles plus its Galactic Conquest expansion again, to see if anyone else that has played it can give me a hand.

I played it a tiny bit, but I'm not really doing too well in the base game's scenarios or in Galactic Conquest.

Also I managed to grab WH40k: Chaos Gate, anything on that I need to/should know?

Pumpkinreaper fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Jun 15, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010

Pumpkinreaper posted:

Heya, I asked this a few pages ago but didn't get a reply, so I figured I'd ask about Gratuitous Space Battles plus its Galactic Conquest expansion again, to see if anyone else that has played it can give me a hand.

I played it a tiny bit, but I'm not really doing too well in the base game's scenarios or in Galactic Conquest.

Also I managed to grab WH40k: Chaos Gate, anything on that I need to/should know?

I have played a lot of GSB, but I don't have the Galactic Conquest expansion so I can't help you with that part. Here's a few tips you may or may not have figured out yet.

You know how in most games they say the best defense is a good offense? Not so true in GSB. My best wins have almost always been with a fleet of mostly stationary spacecraft. If you wait for the enemy to come to you, they will hardly ever stay in formation, so you just have to be prepared to take out their fastest ships first, their slower ones next, and have something ready to go take out their stationary or fleeing ships. I would do this by building a base of no-engine "spacecraft" with defensively strong medium range ships at the point and flanks intermixed with short range hard hitters and point defense ships, and behind them I'd have a lot of disposable cheap missile platform frigates. I'd have a couple of capital ships with engines set to defend some of the frigates in the back as a way to keep them from running off too early - they will stay back until the frigates they are defending are destroyed, which is almost inevitable (and if they aren't destroyed, you probably already won).

The advantage of having your ships closely packed is greater than the disadvantage of having the destruction of one ship damaging the others. You can stack the really big ships practically on top of each other, and it's a good idea to keep them so tight that the ships on either side of the formation could fire on enemies close to the other side of the formation. Spread out those missile frigates in the back a bit, though, as they will be more vulnerable to chain reaction explosions. I didn't start getting wins with zero losses until I started making these tight stationary formations.

Fighters are tricky, I've never made up my mind on when to use them. Sometimes fighters will do a huge amount of damage to the enemy fleet, and sometimes they will seem like a waste, it really depends a lot on the enemy fleet composition. If I lose or win poorly with no fighters, I'll try it again with a few squadrons, and vice versa. If you do use fighters, tell them to flee if they take any damage at all, make sure you have sufficient carriers to service them. If you don't have carriers, tell them to fight to the death, otherwise you will end the round with a bunch of wounded fighters hanging out against the left side of the map. If the enemy fleet is weak on point defense and interceptors, some fighters loaded up with missiles or torpedoes can wreak a lot of damage very quick, but once they have shot their load they need carriers to reload. Fighters with strong beam weapons can end up helping you throughout the match and will murder any missile fighters or lightly shielded frigates the enemy has, unless the enemy has strong PD.

Shields are more important than armor, but don't skimp on armor. When a ship's shields are down they are almost certainly done for, but an extra ten or twenty seconds of functionality from armor is usually worth the slots to stick at least one piece of good armor on the ship. Automatic repair systems don't really seem worth it as they can never keep up with the damage the ship is taking unless you are in a situation where you would have won anyway.

Tractor beams are surprisingly useful, I usually stick them on my carriers to ensure that any fighters that make it past my front row are decimated.