Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chknflvrdramen
Sep 11, 2007
Making the world a better place... with cookies!
Have you tried the rubber band trick and just wearing your belt on a looser notch/buying a bigger belt to get you through? You can do it two different ways. Either put the rubber band through the button hole and loop both sides on the button, or for a little extra space put the rubber band through the button hole, put one end of the rubber band through the other and pull snug, and loop the remaining loop over the button. Cover with belt. Voila!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FretforyourLatte
Sep 16, 2010

Put you in my oven!
^^^ Oh my god, this is genius. Why did I not think of that?? THANK YOU.

LoG posted:

Hey guys, I'm looking for a little bit of advice/opinions. KG is 13 weeks old today and he will not sleep on his back, so my wife is terrified of SIDS. It doesn't matter how deep of a sleep he is in, the second his back hits the crib he is awake. After that we rock him back to sleep, lay him on his tummy and he sleeps through the night. We use all the other precautions for SIDS like nothing in the crib, keeping the room cool and his mattress is firm and neither of us smoke, he is also healthy and doesn't have any acid reflux problems. If you have any questions that might be relevant ask and I'd be happy to answer.

Can he roll over on his own? My daughter never liked her back either and would roll herself right over to her belly every time. I was told as long as they can roll themselves they are probably just fine.

starshine
Nov 26, 2007

LoG posted:

Hey guys, I'm looking for a little bit of advice/opinions. KG is 13 weeks old today and he will not sleep on his back, so my wife is terrified of SIDS. It doesn't matter how deep of a sleep he is in, the second his back hits the crib he is awake. After that we rock him back to sleep, lay him on his tummy and he sleeps through the night. We use all the other precautions for SIDS like nothing in the crib, keeping the room cool and his mattress is firm and neither of us smoke, he is also healthy and doesn't have any acid reflux problems. If you have any questions that might be relevant ask and I'd be happy to answer.

My daughter is almost 8 weeks old and also refuses to sleep on her back. We cosleep and nurse to sleep so I just let her sleep on her side in the crook of my arm after she dozes off. If she's really tired and fussy sometimes I'll put her to sleep on her tummy, keep an eye on her for 15 minutes or so, then flip her to her side once she's floppy. You have to remember when moving a sleeping baby that it takes 10-20 minutes for them to enter deep sleep - their face stops moving, and their arms and legs are dead weight. If you rock him to sleep and immediately put him down in a way he doesn't like, he will almost always startle awake. If he can roll over, the general rule seems to be "put him to sleep on his back, and let him sleep however he ends up". It probably wouldn't hurt to talk to his doctor about your wife's fears at your next appointment, though!

limegrnxj
Apr 24, 2004

chknflvrdramen posted:

Have you tried the rubber band trick and just wearing your belt on a looser notch/buying a bigger belt to get you through? You can do it two different ways. Either put the rubber band through the button hole and loop both sides on the button, or for a little extra space put the rubber band through the button hole, put one end of the rubber band through the other and pull snug, and loop the remaining loop over the button. Cover with belt. Voila!

I'm also thinking this is brilliant! Mon-Thurs, I have to wear a belt with a gun, cuffs and badge on it, so no dresses or any pants without beltloops. I almost feel silly even worrying about this. I'm pregnant, of course stuff is going to start not fitting. But the way the shape of my body is changing is just so foreign to me. Thanks for the suggestions!

Bahunter22
Jul 3, 2010

limegrnxj posted:

I'm also thinking this is brilliant! Mon-Thurs, I have to wear a belt with a gun, cuffs and badge on it, so no dresses or any pants without beltloops. I almost feel silly even worrying about this. I'm pregnant, of course stuff is going to start not fitting. But the way the shape of my body is changing is just so foreign to me. Thanks for the suggestions!

I feel you. About a week ago it got to the point where I was having to wear a rubber band just to be able to sit down at work. I finally caved and bought maternity pants. I was really upset that at 5 1/2 weeks I had changed shape enough to not be able to wear regular pants anymore. Apparently it runs in my family. Lousy bloating.

On another question, I noticed that my heart rate for the past 6 weeks has been a steady 90-95 bpm just sitting around the house which I read is normal, but today I was clocking a measly 70 bpm while I was just resting. I read that my blood pressure can run kind of low right now and I'm wondering if maybe that has something to do with it? Aside from the nausea, righteous boob pain, mood swings and exhaustion I feel pretty normal. Has anyone else had experience with this?

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009

Bahunter22 posted:

I feel you. About a week ago it got to the point where I was having to wear a rubber band just to be able to sit down at work. I finally caved and bought maternity pants. I was really upset that at 5 1/2 weeks I had changed shape enough to not be able to wear regular pants anymore. Apparently it runs in my family. Lousy bloating.

On another question, I noticed that my heart rate for the past 6 weeks has been a steady 90-95 bpm just sitting around the house which I read is normal, but today I was clocking a measly 70 bpm while I was just resting. I read that my blood pressure can run kind of low right now and I'm wondering if maybe that has something to do with it? Aside from the nausea, righteous boob pain, mood swings and exhaustion I feel pretty normal. Has anyone else had experience with this?

See, this was the worst part of the first trimester for me. It seems grossly unfair for your pants not to fit before you've gained any weight.

My blood pressure runs low all the time and it hasn't been a problem so far (28 weeks). Feel free to call the nurse, but if you're not dizzy or feeling light-headed, I wouldn't worry about it.

limegrnxj
Apr 24, 2004
EXACTLY! Weight's basically the same, stuff should fit! I'm so glad to know I'm not the only one who feels this way.

I dunno on the heart rate thing. Mine generally sits around 60, but I'm a runner.

Bahunter22
Jul 3, 2010
Seems to be back to normal now. The husband and I got struck with the flu for the last two days so maybe that had something to do with it. Who knows, just glad to (hopefully) be on the upswing. Its ridiculous having the flu and being pregnant. Normally a 4 pound weight loss would be heaven but its not feeling so great now.

Chicken McNobody
Aug 7, 2009
:butt:postin

Has anyone else had rear end-murdering diarrhea in their early pregnancy? My mom says she had it with me, and now I had it. On the bright side, I'm not nauseous while I'm making GBS threads my brains out. However, as soon as I stop it with some Imodium, the nausea returns. Give it a day or so and the nausea stops and the poo poo-golem returns. Is this A Thing? I honestly did not know that this was A Thing.

(I hope this does not jinx me, I'd rather pass out than throw up, but this seriously feels like I'm throwing up from the other end and it is getting old)

Eia
Nov 5, 2003
Re: SIDS fears, add a fan to the room to circulate air better, and that cuts your SIDS risk by some ridiculously large percentage, so you can feel better about having your kid side-sleep or tummy-sleep if that's what ends up happening.

LizaAbeja
Jul 3, 2007
If you don't expect too much from me, you might not be let down.
I got the bloat very early on and decided to check out maternity pants (tried belly bands and they just rolled up over my hips). Best thing ever! It's never too early for maternity pants - honestly. The way the band adjusts, you can just fold it over when you're still early on. Now at 20 weeks I love the feel of the full band up to my boobs. Also, I'm huge - everyone says I look way more pregnant than I am, but guess what? I have only gained just under 5 lbs. It's really true that all your previous pudge can migrate to the belly area, especially if you are lacking good core muscles like me. I kinda like it since the rest of my body hasn't started to bloat up yet and I just look very obviously pregnant. Much better than the early bloat stage where you just feel fat since you're not yet obviously pregnant. Hold tight - it's just around the corner! But then you get the weird personal questions/stories and other people touching your belly...

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful
I just got my positive test yesterday at 11 dpo, but I've been feeling like I'm pregnant for over a week now. Sore breasts, waking up ravenous, needing naps, and semi-constant strange feelings in my abdomen--I don't really know how to describe it, but it feels like something's going on there. I'll feel little twinges and aches and pains. I always heard that the beginning of pregnancy was a period of detachment because of the lack of symptoms--is it normal to be feeling everything this strongly so early?

I have my blood test set for Tuesday. I think my concern is multiples, since I was on 50mg Clomid.

LizaAbeja
Jul 3, 2007
If you don't expect too much from me, you might not be let down.

Ben Davis posted:

I just got my positive test yesterday at 11 dpo, but I've been feeling like I'm pregnant for over a week now. Sore breasts, waking up ravenous, needing naps, and semi-constant strange feelings in my abdomen--I don't really know how to describe it, but it feels like something's going on there. I'll feel little twinges and aches and pains. I always heard that the beginning of pregnancy was a period of detachment because of the lack of symptoms--is it normal to be feeling everything this strongly so early?

I have my blood test set for Tuesday. I think my concern is multiples, since I was on 50mg Clomid.

Totally normal. Most women I know said they thought it felt like they were about to get their period: lots of aches and twinges that weren't quite cramps. Some say this corresponded with the time of implantation and they had a little blood right after. Anyway, congrats!

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

Ben Davis posted:

I knew I was preggo way before I took my test, and before I even missed my period. My boob-symptoms were like nothing I had ever felt before. I think if you know what's normal for you, then you can certainly 'just tell' pretty early. Now I'm 16 weeks, my body is being taken over and nothing ever feels normal anymore. Now it's a good day when I go 24+ hours without puking. This baby better be super-cute!

Idonie
Jun 5, 2011

Ben Davis posted:

My abdomen started feeling too tender & sensitive for me to wear jeans about 2 weeks into my pregnancy, so yah, I agree with others; if you know your body well it's pretty normal to start being aware of the changes from the very beginning. I also started feeling movement super-early, which was really cool.

Prolonged Shame
Sep 5, 2004

Ben Davis posted:

I had the strange feelings in my abdomen. I thought it was my period starting because it felt similar, but it never came. I took a PT and sure enough, positive! Once that went away, I had basically no symptoms besides fatigue for weeks until a week or two ago when I started getting baby bloat. I'm 12.5 weeks along now with my 1st pregnancy, so I'll be joining this thread (after lurking it for ages).

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

Thanks so much--it's a relief to hear!

CubanRefugee
Jul 1, 2003

El Jefe
Reppin' the Row since '26.

Here's hoping I don't take crap from my wife who reads this thread, but I don't think my posting here counts as me "telling everyone" that she's pregnant, since none of our friends/family read SA.

She's about 3-4 weeks in, and over the past week she's been feeling the early symptoms, ie nausea, odd stomach pain/sensations, soreness, and being tired. Yesterday though, she didn't have any of the symptoms, and it put a small bit of worry in her (and my) head. Actually, it's more me having the worry now that I think about it...

So is it normal to have "good" days where the nausea isn't kicking your rear end? She was hanging out with friends yesterday, so the hope is just that she was distracted enough to not notice it.

FretforyourLatte
Sep 16, 2010

Put you in my oven!

CubanRefugee posted:

Here's hoping I don't take crap from my wife who reads this thread, but I don't think my posting here counts as me "telling everyone" that she's pregnant, since none of our friends/family read SA.

She's about 3-4 weeks in, and over the past week she's been feeling the early symptoms, ie nausea, odd stomach pain/sensations, soreness, and being tired. Yesterday though, she didn't have any of the symptoms, and it put a small bit of worry in her (and my) head. Actually, it's more me having the worry now that I think about it...

So is it normal to have "good" days where the nausea isn't kicking your rear end? She was hanging out with friends yesterday, so the hope is just that she was distracted enough to not notice it.

The funny thing about pregnancy symptoms is that pretty much anything can be normal. Some get nausea, some feel fine. Some are exhausted, some are energized. Some get constipated, some get the shits. Some women gain weight early, some lose it from the nausea. Pretty much, her body is going haywire and just about any symptom you can think of is normal. But yeah, there are definitely good days and bad days, especially with the morning sickness. I know that's the case with me, anyway.

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

CubanRefugee posted:

The symptoms will come and go for a lot of ladies, and plenty of women have very few of the unpleasant symptoms at all. I started feeling a TON better once I figured out that I need to eat every 3 hours, fit in a nap in the afternoon, and have a popscicle when I start feeling nauseated.

I would encourage you/her to stay away from baby forums like BabyCenter because so many of those women are loving crazy drama queens, and it seems like most of the posts early on are all about miscarrying and other various horror stories. It's best not to read too much into any one fleeting symptom or lack thereof. Like the previous poster already said - the range of what's normal for a pregnancy is enormous. Hypnobabies (the birth course I'm doing) has this great track of positive pregnancy affirmations that I really love listening to. There are a lot of really negative attitudes, stories, expectations, etc. that we're bombarded with about pregnancy, and it's really nice to have a daily dose of positivity. "Pregnancy is natural, normal, healthy and safe." A little dorky, maybe, but nice to hear.

It also helped me to stop worrying to realize that the majority of 1st trimester miscarriages are due to genetic problems. I have no control over any chromosomal abnormalities that happened at conception, so worrying about something I can't change is useless, especially since stress IS something that can affect your pregnancy. I just focus on the stuff I can do - eat well, sleep well, exercise some, and remember to take my prenatal vitamin.

lisalovesU2
Jun 4, 2011

by elpintogrande

CubanRefugee posted:

Congrats! It's perfectly normal. Not all women even get morning sickness. I never had it.

Natzor
Oct 8, 2006
I'm here to join the club! I took a home pregnancy test yesterday, and today because I still don't believe this. I have a doctors appointment set up for the 21st.

Can anyone recommend some good pregnancy books? I had a list of goon approved books but I lost it in our most recent move. I already requested, "from the hips" and "the girlfriends guide to pregnancy" from the library. Any other good ones? Also anything you would recommend geared toward the dad?

MarshallX
Apr 13, 2004
Here's a fun story, Grayson finally starting eating his entire 120ml bottle so we decided to up him to 150ml. This was literally the worst idea we have ever had, four days of utter hell because I assume he was eating more than what he wanted and wasn't hungry again for 4 hours (we try to feed him at 3).

What fixed it? We reduced the amount to 140ml and it's like a completely different baby. Feedings are pleasant again.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

Natzor posted:

I'm here to join the club! I took a home pregnancy test yesterday, and today because I still don't believe this. I have a doctors appointment set up for the 21st.

Can anyone recommend some good pregnancy books? I had a list of goon approved books but I lost it in our most recent move. I already requested, "from the hips" and "the girlfriends guide to pregnancy" from the library. Any other good ones? Also anything you would recommend geared toward the dad?

Congrats! I preferred "Your Pregnancy Week by Week" over the usual What to Expect thing. And for a baby book I love Dr. Sears' "The Baby Book."

auri
Jul 8, 2005

Natzor posted:

I have 'From The Hips" and I thought it was awesome. It was the only book I read.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

Natzor posted:

I love Expecting 411--the same series as the Baby Bargains and Bridal Bargains books. Really easy to navigate for quick answers on a bunch of topics.

Janelle
Apr 5, 2004
Question for breastfeeding moms: I just had my baby 9 days ago. The lactation consultant told me to not start pumping until 2 weeks in. When I do, what is the best way to build a stock pile of frozen milk without hurting the supply and what he is getting? Thanks in advance!

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

Janelle posted:

Question for breastfeeding moms: I just had my baby 9 days ago. The lactation consultant told me to not start pumping until 2 weeks in. When I do, what is the best way to build a stock pile of frozen milk without hurting the supply and what he is getting? Thanks in advance!

I would pump first thing in the morning or pump on one side while he nurses on the other.

Congrats on your baby. :)

Chandrika
Aug 23, 2007

Janelle posted:

Since it's recommended now to offer both breasts at each feed, especially in the beginning, I would pump after feeding, to get any milk that's left. If the baby only takes one side then just pump the other. When your baby grows just a little more, you'll have a better idea of the spacing between feeds (assuming you're feeding on demand). Then you can wait maybe 1/3 to 1/2 the time before the next anticipated feed, and pump then. The milk that's going to come in before the next feed should be enough, especially if you get into a bit of a routine about it to make it easier.

And congratulations on your new baby!!

Edit: Don't worry if you don't get very much milk at first. Just persevere and you'll be getting more and more. My first pump at 9 weeks was just over an ounce (30mL), and I pumped over 9oz (280mL) this morning.

Chandrika fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jun 12, 2011

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

Janelle posted:

Can I ask why you aren't supposed to pump until 2 weeks in?

starshine
Nov 26, 2007

Mnemosyne posted:

I would assume that this is because a) your milk supply is regulating in the first couple of weeks and it would probably be really easy to build up an oversupply by pumping, which can cause feeding/digestion problems in your baby; b) you want to be sure to have milk available for your baby at all times until they regain birth weight (which can be around 2 weeks). Maybe more reasons than that but those two popped into my mind!

BTW, congrats Janelle! Seconding what dream said, pump in the morning, unless your baby seems really hungry then and sleeps for a long stretch in the afternoon. I pump once a day now but timing depends on how Julia's day is going! If I wake up full and she's sleepy with a full tummy, I'll pump both sides (usually the last one I nursed her on produces a little less, no biggie). I tried to pump one side while she nursed the other, and it was good for my letdown but the noise from the double electric pump freaked her out. If she is having a really tired afternoon and taking a long nap, I'll pump then. You'll get into a rhythm that works for you fairly quickly... I've only been pumping for less than a week but got 6oz today(at 9 weeks), 2 hours after nursing her. I've found kellymom and its related links to be a great resource so far.

starshine fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jun 13, 2011

randomfuss
Dec 30, 2006

Janelle posted:

My LC said to pump 1.5 / 2hrs after the first feeding in the morning (but I had to wait 4 weeks because I had oversupply issues). I only ever tried the manual pump, since it works well enough.

Janelle
Apr 5, 2004

Mnemosyne posted:

In addition to the oversupply issues everyone else mentioned, she wants to make sure that the milk has come in fully and you aren't pumping colostrum. Apparently it has a laxative effect.

Thanks for the help ladies. :)

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009
Question for those of you who have already had your babies: how often do you use your changing table? (As opposed to changing on the floor/bed, I assume you change a lot of diapers in general.) Do you consider it necessary to have? If you have open shelves, do you wish you had drawers? I'm thinking about making one, rather than paying $90 for a couple of pieces of particleboard.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Brennanite posted:

Question for those of you who have already had your babies: how often do you use your changing table? (As opposed to changing on the floor/bed, I assume you change a lot of diapers in general.) Do you consider it necessary to have? If you have open shelves, do you wish you had drawers? I'm thinking about making one, rather than paying $90 for a couple of pieces of particleboard.

I didn't get one because I knew I would very rarely use it (I tend to just change Connor whereever we are at the time), but I have heard that they are good for people with back problems.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

When I watch my niece I really preferred the changing table because I didn't have to lean over, as said, and nothing has to be put away. Hers is just a dresser with a changing pad on top, though. That's what I plan to get for our nursery as well, since we'll need a place to store all the clothes that don't hang or fold well.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Brennanite posted:

I got an awesome sturdy one at Babies R Us on sale for about $40. It puts the baby just above waist level so you don't really have to bend over to change him. It's basically this:

I like it because we put all of our baby items in small plastic tubs on those open shelves - it makes it very easy to shift them around, bring them out to other rooms and keep different items separate (bibs in one bin, socks/shoes/hats in another) like portable little drawers. The top area is recessed, and keeps our changing pad even more secure. I like it a LOT more than I thought I would, and my son likes looking at the big poster we have over the changing area. We can even clip a mobile or something over the changing area to keep him distracted though we haven't had to do that.

You can see it in action here.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

Brennanite posted:

Nonstop, even now at 14 months. It's on top of her dresser (Ikea combo), and it's so nice not to hurt my back by bending over. Also, for whatever reason, she doesn't try to get up and mess around on the table like she does when I change her on the floor. So, added bonus there too. :D

zombie duck v2.0
Apr 4, 2006

"Don't forget taking your skin off, because pink works. It's sophisticated and sexy, stands out as springs hottest color."
Brennanite, we just threw a change pad like this on top of the dresser we bought to match the crib. Her bedroom is very tiny, so we wanted to save some space. I'd love to have the extra storage that a change table would provide, but it would be either the change table or the rocking chair, and I'm partial to the chair. :P The change pad has a strap that you attach to the back of the table to keep it from sliding, and that's just fine with us. That being said, I only change her up in her room maybe 50-60% of the time. The rest is on the floor/couch/wherever.

On an unreated note - Kaedence will be graduating this thread tomorrow! Where the hell did THAT time go? :aaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revenant77
Aug 28, 2004

Not so sweet
Like others, I went with a changing pad on top of the dresser. It works perfectly and it can be screwed down so it's more secure. I'd say we use it any time she needs changed and we're upstairs. If we're downstairs, I'll just plop her on the couch or floor. Unless it's a pretty scary poopy diaper. Then we'll trek upstairs where it's a little more structured. And close to the bath tub if needed.