Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!

Chemmy posted:

I'm meeting Gabe Desjardins at like 6:30 in Mountain View.

Goddammit, I really want to go but I wont get off work in time and my friend is in a battle of the bands and I have tickets to that. gently caress:smith:

E: bag talk

I have this

It comes with internal skate pockets and tons of space. I can fit all my stuff + puck bag and still have tons of room.

poser fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jun 13, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
Wanted to give a heads up that HockeyGiant has the Pro 4-Roll's on sale for $80 which is a goddamned steal for an awesome glove.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I have a game tonight (after two weeks off for memorial day and a by week).

I just rode 100 miles yesterday and Im absolutely gassed today.

This should be miserable, interesting fun.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Alizee posted:

Breakin in the skates, killed my feet friday. Less so today, they're feeling better, I can't loving figure out stopping for the life of me. Got 2 hours skating time on the new skates, hopefully after next two times out they'll be broken in :) I think I'm going to have to get one of my buddies to help me out.

The way I ultimately learned how to hockey-stop was out of necessity. I joined a league before I developed the ability and during a game was chasing after the puck carrier when he stopped and went in the other direction...so I, too, stopped, and went in the other direction. It only occurred to me that I'd done it after I got back to the bench. :) This is also how I learned to hockey stop with my left foot forward and how to both quickly slow down and hockey stop while skating backwards.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I used my sale purchased One95 gloves and NIKE elbow pads this weekend and was very impressed. The 95s feel like I'm wearing shooting gloves or something compared to my ancient 5-rolls, and their protection seems great too (though not as good as the tanks they replaced). Elbow pads actually stayed up the whole time while protecting properly so that was a nice change of pace.

Also they are very patriotic red/white/blue. :patriot:

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
That reminds me, I need to get new elbow pads. I've had to tie knots into most of the straps on my current ones because they've gotten too loose - and they still fall down my arms during a game.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

real_scud posted:

Wanted to give a heads up that HockeyGiant has the Pro 4-Roll's on sale for $80 which is a goddamned steal for an awesome glove.

Dammit. If only I had the money to replace my current 4-rolls with warn-out palms. God bless these gloves.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!

Habibi posted:

That reminds me, I need to get new elbow pads. I've had to tie knots into most of the straps on my current ones because they've gotten too loose - and they still fall down my arms during a game.

If your elastic is going you can just cut the strap and sew them back on about an inch back, or however much you need. Did this with my shin guards and they are like new again

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

real_scud posted:

Oh god they have Black/Gold in 13"!!!!
Too bad it's actually gold instead of Boston Bruin yellow :( So so tempting despite this though...

SaucyPants
May 7, 2007

All the cool kids are watching FIM. Why aren't you?

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Oh god they have Black/Gold in 13"!!!!
Too bad it's actually gold instead of Boston Bruin yellow :( So so tempting despite this though...

Bruins wear black and white gloves anyway :smug:

I am always iffy on ordering from Hockey Giant, the whole site to me just looks shady.

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS
I haven't scored a goal, even in pickup games, since January. My friends and I have a summer league team starting this saturday. Please God let it end by then

It got in my head so bad that on a two on 0 break, right in front of the crease a guy gave me a perfect pass and I just panicked and tried to shovel it right back to him but the goalie intercepted it. I also left the puck behind on a breakaway in the same game. Chris Conner style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlbdbzfR8Ck

toxicsunset fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jun 14, 2011

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I scored a garbage goal off a rebound of my own beautiful wrist shot on friday. Which gives me 3 in pickup games for my entire career (6 months)

cenzo
Dec 5, 2003

'roux mad?

SaucyPants posted:

Bruins wear black and white gloves anyway :smug:

I am always iffy on ordering from Hockey Giant, the whole site to me just looks shady.

For what it's worth, I've ordered pretty much everything for my inline leagues through hockey giant. That includes skates, sticks, pads etc. I've never had a problem with them. They do send you a ton of email after your order is done though

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

SaucyPants posted:

Theres nothing shady about Hockey Giant, they send you a lot of "deals" via email but the site in general is very legit. I have purchased a lot of stuff through there, Inline Warehouse, Epuck, or hockey Monkey.

On a separate note, we had our second game of the season last night which we won, being the only undefeated team in the league though we've only played 2 games and everyone else has played 3.

The team we played won their last game 24-4. They have 1 ringer and everyone else was about 6'2" with minimal ability, their ringer had 4 of their 5 goals.

During the game, it started to get really chippy when we went up really fast. Towards the end of the 1st half, we started easing back and they just took slapshots from anywhere they could, half or full court if possible. They got lucky with one which bounced off of three people and beat the goalie. We ended the half with a score of 8-5. We continued to score 2 more and prevented them from scoring any in the 2nd finishing the game with 9-5.

I scored one turnaround shot 5 hole, one back door, and got a few helpers. I whiffed on a one timer and a wide open net back hand that I couldn't lift above his pad.

They got physical and some started throwing checks (in a non-checking inline league). At one point I was against the boards digging for the puck when I got hit from behind and muscled against the boards. When I looked down, the puck was nowhere near us and I pushed him off when he followed up with a cross check to my back. As he skated away, he got a slash to the ankle. The goalie then skated out and gave me a slash to the calves.

The next time we were in their zone, I got behind the goalie so that as he was skating back into his crease, I stuck my blade behind his skate causing him to fall to his back. He lost his stick and I "tripped" over it causing it to go pretty far from the goal. Its the least I could do since my calves have a big red stripe on them today.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!
Hockey Giant has awesome customer service. I order a helmet and they never sent it and when I called them they had sold out of the one I ordered. I have a huge head and the only one that they had that fit was $30 more and they shipped that one with no extra charges.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Verman posted:

24-4

What douchey team actually scores 24 goals in a game? Are you kidding me?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I officiated a game that was 36-0 once.

To be fair, they were mites and didn't listen to the coach yelling that they needed to pass 5 times before shooting.

The parents of the team up 36 yelled at me when I sent their only offsides down the ice as an intentional because the game was so out of hand and I wanted to give the other team a shot at putting one in. Being an official is terrible.

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008
Bowled over a guy trying to go outside on me tonight and ended up with his toe cap in my chin.

So close to dying :ohdear:

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Inline....

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

I had a guy wind up a full slapshot on a 2-on-1 that I was defending in pickup on Friday. Hit me on the side of the shin right where the plastic ended, and hurt pretty bad. This wouldn't have been a problem, I mean, I was standing in the shooting lane, but he had already walked around me 3 or 4 times before and i think he was just mad i didn't get out of the way immediately.

in short, people are dicks.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
I was screening the net today (roller hockey) and the idiot on my team with the puck winds up a full slap shot from the top of the circles and nails me square in the chest.

Thats not how you score on a screened goalie :gonk:

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I'M A TURTLE AND I'M SURFING, THAT'S CRAZY!

Topoisomerase posted:

Inline....

Inline or not this should never happen. My roller league calls the game if a team goes up by 8.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

Surfing Turtle posted:

Inline or not this should never happen. My roller league calls the game if a team goes up by 8.
The problem with this is that people (mainly sympathy for the guys on the losing end) get cheated out of hockey that they paid for.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

D C posted:

I was screening the net today (roller hockey) and the idiot on my team with the puck winds up a full slap shot from the top of the circles and nails me square in the chest.

Thats not how you score on a screened goalie :gonk:

Why the do guys always try to send pucks top shelf from the point like they're damned Nicklas Lidstrom? I'll never understand that. One of the first things I learned playing D was to keep shots on (or near) the ice to generate rebounds.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

coldwind posted:

The problem with this is that people (mainly sympathy for the guys on the losing end) get cheated out of hockey that they paid for.

Well they generally call the game but you have the rink till the next game.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Dangerllama posted:

Why the do guys always try to send pucks top shelf from the point like they're damned Nicklas Lidstrom? I'll never understand that. One of the first things I learned playing D was to keep shots on (or near) the ice to generate rebounds.
You'll be surprised to hear this, but not everybody has the accuracy on their slapshot that Lidas does. It's a hard shot to keep down and aim really well. But, I mean, if you get the puck at the point and you've got the open lane, what can you do? It is really, really hard not to take that shot.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

With 4 inline leagues to choose from, Open Silver Gold and Elite, Open is for anyone including women and beginners. Silver gets a wide variety from beginners to people who can really skate. The problem is that some guys sandbag or come down to be the ringer on a team. Gold is usually pretty standard good players, although you still get guys from silver who should never have moved up. Elite is pretty exclusive, it would be nice if they monitored the rest of the leagues like they do the Elites.

The team that scored 24-0 had one guy who could skate, stick handle and shoot like nobodys business. If he had a 1 on 1 with the goalie it was almost a guaranteed goal every time.

Luckily, we kept them down to 5 goals and won. :smug:

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

The Alien Leader of Transportation

coldwind posted:

You'll be surprised to hear this, but not everybody has the accuracy on their slapshot that Lidas does. It's a hard shot to keep down and aim really well. But, I mean, if you get the puck at the point and you've got the open lane, what can you do? It is really, really hard not to take that shot.

The number one thing d-men are (or should be) taught is to keep the puck down. Especially in beer league, if you start to get a rep for sending them so much as dick high, much less head high, NO ONE will stand in front of the shot, and it's actually pretty hilarious to see both teams move out of the way after the first time all the forwards do so. Which means that your "open lane" suddenly becomes poo poo because the goalie will stop an unscreened shot from the point 99% of the time.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Minister Robathan posted:

The number one thing d-men are (or should be) taught is to keep the puck down. Especially in beer league, if you start to get a rep for sending them so much as dick high, much less head high, NO ONE will stand in front of the shot, and it's actually pretty hilarious to see both teams move out of the way after the first time all the forwards do so. Which means that your "open lane" suddenly becomes poo poo because the goalie will stop an unscreened shot from the point 99% of the time.
Wait, isn't this beer league? Who's getting any teaching? Especially at the beer league level, some guys you can tell to keep their shot low all you want and they can be trying as hard as they can, but that doesn't always mean results.

I guess I'm just saying that just because the shot goes high doesn't mean the guy was trying to shoot high, especially at the beer league level.

Also, maybe (probably) we play at different levels, but I've seen a pretty good number of goalies who wouldn't come close to stopping 99% of unscreeened point shots.

EDIT: lower beer league levels.

coldwind fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jun 15, 2011

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Surfing Turtle posted:

With inline 8 goals isn't an unsurmountable lead, especially if they score those goals early.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
At pickup last night some dildo took a chest-high cannon blast from the point when there were at least 6 people in front of the net. Not only is it not going to get through, but you're going to hurt someone. I yelled at him as did a couple of his teammates.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

bewbies posted:

At pickup last night some dildo took a chest-high cannon blast from the point when there were at least 6 people in front of the net. Not only is it not going to get through, but you're going to hurt someone. I yelled at him as did a couple of his teammates.

One thing that I've always wondered is why do skaters play without shoulder pads/upper body protection while playing pickup? Is the padding really that annoying/warm or is the perceived danger of not wearing padding during pickup seem less likely to some guys?

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Aniki posted:

One thing that I've always wondered is why do skaters play without shoulder pads/upper body protection while playing pickup? Is the padding really that annoying/warm or is the perceived danger of not wearing padding during pickup seem less likely to some guys?
I dunno, I have a buddy on my team who makes fun of my shoulder pads cause he says they're huge. I don't think they're that bad since they're just the Bauer One95's from a year or two ago but I don't really care what they look like, I want protection just in case. Sure we don't do a checking league but that doesn't mean you can't get into it on the boards and potentially get upended in some weird way.

Of course the same guy who said that ended up getting a puck up high on his chest that he was just barely able to deflect with his glove last week. Somehow I don't think that'll make him start wearing any shoulder pads though.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

Aniki posted:

With inline 8 goals isn't an unsurmountable lead, especially if they score those goals early.

The inline league I play at the scores never get that out of control. For our level you arent coming back from down 8. You also get 24 minute halves that are running clock so you don't get much chance to come back.

Sexy Randal
Jul 26, 2006

woah
My shoulder pads are comically huge, but I wear them for chest protection more than anything. I like to try to screen the goalie which seems to result in me taking one in the chest a few times a year, and I don't want to imagine what that feels like without decent padding.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
In the hundreds of beer league and pickup games I've played I've never seen anyone get hurt because of a lack of shoulder pads. A couple times of year guys will get hit by a puck and get a bruise, but that's about the upper limit.

I personally don't wear them because they're hot and heavy, plus the above fact makes the risk-reward calculation pretty simple.

dyn
Jan 9, 2005

Barn duelin' since '07

Aniki posted:

I never wear shoulder pads but elbow pads is a must. I can't imagine falling on the ice without any protection for my elbows, that just screams injury. Shoulder/chest is more resiliant and withstand more dings than elbows can.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Aniki posted:

I wear only elbow pads and wear a half visor. There are "advantages", but I will be completely honest and admit I'm an idiot and that it's mainly for appearance. Shoulder pads can be cumbersome and looking through wires is annoying, regardless.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Combining the "slap shots from the point" and "no shoulder pads/visor" topics, during a drop-in skate I have seen a dude who was not wearing a cage or any kind of visor take a clapper to the face. Not a pretty site, and pretty stupid on the part of the guy taking the shot.

Gio fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jun 15, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Gio posted:

Combining the "slap shots from the point" and "no shoulder pads/visor" topics, during a drop-in skate I have seen a dude who was not wearing a cage or any kind of visor take a clapper to the face. Not a pretty site, and pretty stupid on the part of the guy taking the shot.

Last summer, I picked up a guys two front teeth for him, they were broken in half because he tried to block a shot and the shooters stick bounced of his and hit him in the teeth. It looked bad enough to get me to put a cage on. Nobody looks good with a bloody mouth full of broken teeth. Not worth it.

I cant see that well with a cage, but you eventually adapt. if you complain about a cage, get a visor/cage combo.