Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:
So as to get back on topic...

Hellion's new turbo kit for the Coyote is out and about now. What does $5k get you with an '11+ Mustang 5.0?

It made 653 rwhp / 730 rwtq at 15lbs of boost on 93 octane pump gas...only pulling it to 5k RPMs. Everything on the car is bone stock outside of the turbo kit and a Magnaflow axle-back exhaust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
That's at the wheels? Jesus Christ.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

CombatWombat posted:

That's at the wheels? Jesus Christ.

Imagine what happens when they pull it the next 2500 RPMs to get it to redline. :laugh:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Man, the aftermarket just makes it really not worth it to buy a Boss, hunh? Sure it's comparing suspension parts vs +300 hp, but still.

Locobono
Nov 6, 2003

Pump Action
you weren't kidding when you said save the money for headers and spend it on a turbo

whiskas
May 30, 2005

frozenphil posted:

Imagine what happens when they pull it the next 2500 RPMs to get it to redline. :laugh:

Kaboom?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

whiskas posted:

Kaboom?

Doubtful, but we shall see. I'm predicting some stupid big numbers.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

kimbo305 posted:

Man, the aftermarket just makes it really not worth it to buy a Boss, hunh? Sure it's comparing suspension parts vs +300 hp, but still.

You're getting a competition suspension, better brakes, a tougher differential, and forged internals for what, 8000 more than a base GT? That doesn't sound like a bad buy to me.

Now, if all you want to do is go in a straight line quickly, I guess yeah, the Boss 302 may not be the best purchase for the money.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

whiskas posted:

Kaboom?

What sound does the transmission make when it goes?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

VideoTapir posted:

What sound does the transmission make when it goes?

The automatics are running 9s bone stock. :smug:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

A.o.D. posted:

You're getting a competition suspension, better brakes, a tougher differential, and forged internals for what, 8000 more than a base GT? That doesn't sound like a bad buy to me.

People are getting great deals on the GT, but I found one place 3 hours away that would do MSRP on the Boss. So the practical differential is as high as 15k, depending on what kind of GT you get. I'm pricing in the better diff and sport seats package for the Boss.

That said, yeah, upgrading a GT with Boss parts would probably cost about the same. I wonder what the used Boss market will look like in a couple years.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
Weee I'm getting paid this week and I think it's time to change the stock BFGoodrichs on my V6. Any suggestions on what I should look into (something all-season for a car that's my DD)?

Aberroyc
Jul 12, 2007

shodanjr_gr posted:

Weee I'm getting paid this week and I think it's time to change the stock BFGoodrichs on my V6. Any suggestions on what I should look into (something all-season for a car that's my DD)?

What size wheels do you have? I'm assuming 16's. I used Sumitomo's on my 2004 V6 and they held up great even in the rain. Don't know how they will last after 25k miles since I traded it in right at that point.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/sumitomo-as-p01-225-55-16.html

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

Aberroyc posted:

What size wheels do you have? I'm assuming 16's. I used Sumitomo's on my 2004 V6 and they held up great even in the rain. Don't know how they will last after 25k miles since I traded it in right at that point.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/sumitomo-as-p01-225-55-16.html

I got the stock 16s now but I may :rice: it up to 18s...

Aberroyc
Jul 12, 2007

shodanjr_gr posted:

I got the stock 16s now but I may :rice: it up to 18s...

I eventually put 17's on mine. I hated the stock rims, and figured why not. It ended up being something like 900 bucks rims and tires from American Muscle. Actually made the speedometer MORE accurate when used with my GPS. Although I can't say how accurate the GPS actually is.

Marux
Mar 15, 2008

College Slice
I recently upgraded from the stock BFG Turanzas to Michelin Hydroedges on my 2005 v6. They're really pretty amazing for grip, compared to stock its a night and day difference. Breaking traction actually requires effort. They do pretty well in the rain so far although it rains where I live very rarely so it wasn't an issue when i bought them. They are kind of pricey but they're also rated to have quite a bit of tread life with a 90k mile warranty.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

ATTN Ford: The new 5.0 fits in the Ranger nicely. This is a good idea.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

frozenphil posted:

Except for the fact that they're discontinuing the Ranger, right?

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

MikeyTsi posted:

They made approximately a billion of them though. There are over 50 for sale for under 10k within 25 miles of where I live; half of those are going for less than 5k.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

oRenj9 posted:

They made approximately a billion of them though. There are over 50 for sale for under 10k within 25 miles of where I live; half of those are going for less than 5k.

That doesn't make for a good ATTN: Ford though, more of a ATTN: Ranger owners.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

gently caress you Phil, I already have one truck with a retarded engine swap, I don't need two.

Or do I...

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

MikeyTsi posted:

Can you think of a better way to send the Ranger off? Tell me you wouldn't buy the poo poo out of a baby Lightning.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
So my dealership got our Laguna Seca in today, put it in the showroom this morning and I was like "I'll go snap some pics at lunch for the mustang thread while I get a better look at it."

It was gone within two hours. v:shobon:v I only got to see it drive by out the window. It was the black one and while the orange roof is a little much it's pretty drat sharp looking.

goodfuldead
Feb 14, 2009

what a long strange thread its been

frozenphil posted:

Ha this is like the modern version of mine. I can't believe how much it looks like it fit well, theres no telling what they had to do to get it to set in there. I had to trim the bottom of the fire wall a bit just for an old 5.0 and C4. I wonder what they did for motor mounts?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Motiva, the people supplying the tune with the Hellion turbo kit for the 2011+ GT, put out a video of the base kit on a stock 5.0.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7sESbcQ7Hs

712hp and 757ft-lb running out of injector and pump. lmao

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

frozenphil posted:

Can you think of a better way to send the Ranger off? Tell me you wouldn't buy the poo poo out of a baby Lightning.

I wouldn't, but I have no need for a truck and regularly get pissed off at being on a 4-lane highway clogged with trucks that AREN'T loving BEING USED AS TRUCKS. I also don't like being a hypocrite.

Thus, I want a 5.0 in a Taurus SHO.

Or comedy option: a 5.Probe.

Actually gently caress it, how do the physical dimensions compare to a small block Chevy? I'll cram one in a 944 and piss off my buddy who put an LS1 in his.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

ApathyGifted posted:

Actually gently caress it, how do the physical dimensions compare to a small block Chevy? I'll cram one in a 944 and piss off my buddy who put an LS1 in his.

I'm 95% certain the LS1 is pretty close dimensionally to the 5.0 of yore, but I'd be shocked if a 5.0 vs 5.0 side by side didn't look more like this:

I'm pretty sure the LS1 in a 944 is a damned tight fit.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
gently caress this thread. I just put an offer in on a Procharged 99 Yellow GT because of it. Seriously. I need something with 400+ rwhp again :( If he accepts I'd be able to keep my nice daily driver and get my weekend stang back

Amy Pole Her fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Jun 14, 2011

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

frozenphil posted:

I wouldn't buy the poo poo out of a baby Lightning.

(Totally lying)

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

frozenphil posted:

So as to get back on topic...

Hellion's new turbo kit for the Coyote is out and about now. What does $5k get you with an '11+ Mustang 5.0?

It made 653 rwhp / 730 rwtq at 15lbs of boost on 93 octane pump gas...only pulling it to 5k RPMs. Everything on the car is bone stock outside of the turbo kit and a Magnaflow axle-back exhaust.

I missed this earlier. My bad. Holy poo poo that is insanity. And to think, if I remember correctly, the 2011 GT with Track Pack ran even with the 2011 M3 around some track in Michigan.

It is absolutely mind blowing to me that a 2011 V6 coupe with full exhaust, tune and CAI are hitting numbers over 315 rwhp. That's just... disgusting

Amy Pole Her fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jun 14, 2011

Road_Warrior
Sep 16, 2005

frozenphil posted:

For a minute, you had me excited as I thought it was the new T6 Ranger, but alas, no.

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'm pretty sure the LS1 in a 944 is a damned tight fit.

Yes, yes it is.

scapulataf
Jul 18, 2007

by Ozmaugh

frozenphil posted:

The new Ford Ranger splash. As in, it splashes molten rubber at the car behind it, which would be a lot of cars.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine

frozenphil posted:

Well what the poo poo? The 4.6 would not fit in as it would not fit between the frame rails. I thought the new 5.0 was supposed to be a "bolt in" replacement for the 4.6?

scapulataf
Jul 18, 2007

by Ozmaugh

Skyssx posted:

Well what the poo poo? The 4.6 would not fit in as it would not fit between the frame rails. I thought the new 5.0 was supposed to be a "bolt in" replacement for the 4.6?

MAybe the engine is physically smaller (slightly).

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

BBR has a basically bone stock (Magnaflow axle-back exhaust is the only mod) 2011 5.0 with the base Hellion 67mm turbo kit on the dyno.

553rwhp 603ft-lb at 9psi.
http://youtu.be/1ndKLc2rbxc

653rwhp 730ft-lb at 15 psi.
http://youtu.be/vux_vVOF4c8

Welcome to 2011, where you can run bottom 10s while getting 25+mpg for under $35k.

Edit: If you step up to the optional 76mm turbo and do a real fuel system you're looking at 800+rwhp.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

frozenphil posted:

BBR has a basically bone stock (Magnaflow axle-back exhaust is the only mod) 2011 5.0 with the base Hellion 67mm turbo kit on the dyno.

553rwhp 603ft-lb at 9psi.
http://youtu.be/1ndKLc2rbxc

653rwhp 730ft-lb at 15 psi.
http://youtu.be/vux_vVOF4c8

Welcome to 2011, where you can run bottom 10s while getting 25+mpg for under $35k.

Edit: If you step up to the optional 76mm turbo and do a real fuel system you're looking at 800+rwhp.

Am I the first in thinking that this new Mustang is probably one of, if not the most, impressive Mustangs ever built stock from the factory? I mean think about it (and your right, phil)... What else will $35,000 get you, and you can have something that will outrun almost every car on the road? As well as retaining great gas mileage?

:golfclap: Ford

Devyl fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Jun 17, 2011

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:
I used to come to this thread and get all kinds of giddy when I saw crazy videos of automatic GT's running 10's or lower or dyno runs where ridiculous numbers are being pushed out. Ever since that became the norm though it's lost some of it's luster, though like Devyl said I gotta hand it to Ford for making everything come together so nicely with the new 5.0's, manual transmission issues aside.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
6 psi is good for 100 rwhp and 127 rwtq. That's loving insanity
edit: the crazy thing is that Ford will throw a twin screw blower on your car for $7000 and back it with a warranty. It puts out 625 horsepower and 575 ft/lbs of torque.

That's uncanny.

Amy Pole Her fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Jun 17, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Devyl posted:

Am I the first in thinking that this new Mustang is probably one of, if not the most, impressive Mustangs ever built stock from the factory? I mean think about it (and your right, phil)... What else will $35,000 get you, and you can have something that will outrun almost every car on the road? As well as retaining great gas mileage?

:golfclap: Ford

The millage isn't awesome. On the highway it's fine thanks to that super low 6th gear but let's no sit and pretend that anything over 14-15 MPGs is going to happen on a car pushing 400 horsepower around in city driving. I'd really like to see Ford throw that start stop technology that BMW is using on the M3 on the Mustang because I think it'd help a lot.

That said, Ford has completely upped the ante on what's acceptable from a budget sports car. I was shopping the Mustang against the 370 and once the 5.0 hit my mind was made up. My Mustang is the fastest thing I've ever driven and I love it :)