Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

allonblack
Dec 9, 2004

Yes, you.
Put it into track mode. Raised it an inch, torqued everything down, and put on my track wheels/tires.

This really makes me want gold daily wheels.

VVV Thanks, didn't realize how gigantic it was as i posted it from my phone. VVV

allonblack fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Jun 10, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I would REALLY suggest using the timg tag.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Holy crap :tinfoil:

It's pretty configurable in terms of what it'll upload and when, though uploading a 480p video over 3G is pretty painful (4G is pretty spotty in my neighborhood). But thankfully you can also have it snap a series of photos and upload them almost instantly.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Converted my Ignition from Points to Pertronix. Came across this nightmare when I started to wire it up to the coil

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

allonblack posted:

Put it into track mode. Raised it an inch, torqued everything down, and put on my track wheels/tires.

This really makes me want gold daily wheels.

VVV Thanks, didn't realize how gigantic it was as i posted it from my phone. VVV

Is it just me or do those track wheels look really undersized compared to the usual WRX wheels?

Last weekend: New pads and rotors in the front.

This morning: Short throw shifter, new plastic washers and shifter cup bushing.

The worst circlip:

Sometimes I'm glad I'm only 5'6 and have tiny hands.

allonblack
Dec 9, 2004

Yes, you.

Crustashio posted:

Is it just me or do those track wheels look really undersized compared to the usual WRX wheels?

They're 17x8 BBS' from the previous gen STI. Stock STI wheels are now 18x8.5", so no it's not just you ;). They're great track wheels though as the rubber for 17's is cheaper, they still clear our brembos and they weigh like 17lbs.

These are my daily wheels -

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

daslog posted:

Converted my Ignition from Points to Pertronix. Came across this nightmare when I started to wire it up to the coil

If the hot wire goes straight to the starter (battery), I'd guess that the negative going to the firewall is because they switched the negative instead of the positive. Unless it's for a tach? Do caddies have tachs?

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

trouser chili posted:

Drove it 950 miles to the east coast with the big Yakima carrier on top, two children in the back and the wife riding shotgun. I'm now in Myrtle Beach. Got 27mpg out of the Mazda5, which considering the load and the carrier, doesn't seem too bad. Unloaded highway I can get as high as 32mpg. Also, I killed a lot of bugs.

Picked up another passenger and drove another 650 miles south, now in Sarasota, Florida. Drove at much higher speeds than before, seeing 25mpg. The Mazda5 hit 30,000 miles!

trouser chili fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jun 12, 2011

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Raluek posted:

If the hot wire goes straight to the starter (battery), I'd guess that the negative going to the firewall is because they switched the negative instead of the positive. Unless it's for a tach? Do caddies have tachs?

What I've been able to figure out is that the wire to the starter only engages when the starter is engaged to give the coil a full 12 volts. Once the car is running, power runs through the ballast wire at 6 volts.

I've no idea who or why that Negative wire is there. No tach in the caddy (but that's not a bad idea)

SwashedBuckles
Aug 10, 2007

Have at you!

allonblack posted:

They're 17x8 BBS' from the previous gen STI. Stock STI wheels are now 18x8.5", so no it's not just you ;). They're great track wheels though as the rubber for 17's is cheaper, they still clear our brembos and they weigh like 17lbs.

These are my daily wheels -

Looks pretty mean. What kind of wheels are they?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'm replacing the fog light brackets on the 2002 WRX so that I can change a bulb so I can pass inspection. The old ones have rusted so much that just trying to remove the mounting bolts caused them to snap off.

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
Yesterday I out in the rotors, pads and SS lines... the hardlines were a pain in the rear end.

Finished bleeding them and just bedded the pads in.

Edit- butt-dyno says the new pads (Hawk HPS) are a major improvement. Also, I always manage to tweak the dust shields just enough so they rub on the discs.

Timmy Cruise fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jun 12, 2011

verhulce
Mar 3, 2007
Finally opened up the 3M Headlight resto kit and fired up the drill.

Holy poo poo. Should have done before/after pix. Went from opaque yellow to actually, truly clear. drat. 15 minutes and 15 bucks.

Also changed out the bypass hoses at the water pump and forward hard line. They were original. '87 Turbo Coupe, by the way.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Installed a Pertronix Ingitor and a 40,000 volt flamethrower in the Land Yacht today. Also solderd in a new wire to bypass the ballast wire.

Starts up real nice now. Timing was only off 5 degrees too.

allonblack
Dec 9, 2004

Yes, you.

SwashedBuckles posted:

Looks pretty mean. What kind of wheels are they?

Rota G-force 18x9 +30

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yesterday, made a valiant attempt at bleeding the clutch on my Ranger. Slave was visibly obviously replaced by the PO as part of his clutch job, but randomly (and increasingly so) the pedal gets further and further down before biting. Finally got to the point where I couldn't shift in or out of first with it running.

Got a decent (at best) feel out of it now after pulling clean fluid through with a Mityvac, and also tried what someone else mentioned on a Ranger board (pulling vacuum on the air over the fluid in the reservoir with hopes of pulling bubbles up), but I don't think that part helped. I think the master itself might be failing, but if it stays where it's at or close to it I will just leave it be.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

New clutch bracket. apparently my 1hr of mostly stop go traffic each way 5 days a week was enough to total a clutch bracket.

new one has tack welds!

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

bull3964 posted:

I'm replacing the fog light brackets on the 2002 WRX so that I can change a bulb so I can pass inspection. The old ones have rusted so much that just trying to remove the mounting bolts caused them to snap off.

Should have went with the Kartboy brackets and swapped in some Hellas.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Sockington posted:

Should have went with the Kartboy brackets and swapped in some Hellas.

Eh, I'm not dumping money into my secondary car for stuff like that. Less than $30 to pass inspection vs a couple hundred in lighting upgrades.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

The Altima got a set of horns from a 1990 Cadillac Deville :v: Still need to make some proper brackets, but it's better than the pathetic "meepCOUGHWHEEZEcoughmeeeeeeep" ... thing.. that it had. Total cost: $12.20 at Pick n Pull.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDFBZA3ywvk

Also a new bracket for the power steering fluid reservoir - the old one held the reservoir fine, but one of the a/c lines also attaches to it. That part of the old bracket was broken, so the line was hitting the hood.

I feel so butch now. :gay:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jun 14, 2011

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

some texas redneck posted:

The Altima got a set of horns from a 1990 Cadillac Deville :v: Still need to make some proper brackets, but it's better than the pathetic "meepCOUGHWHEEZEcoughmeeeeeeep" ... thing.. that it had.

THAT'S what I was talking about.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Motronic posted:

THAT'S what I was talking about.

Appreciate the idea :D $12.20 (with tax) for the horns, though I had to figure out where the gently caress Cadillac hid them (inside the fenders wtf). Already had some female spade connectors, and I figure I'll spend $3 or $4 making some proper brackets. I should probably wire up a relay, for now they're running off the stock wiring. Since the stock horn relay is under the hood already, I might just run thicker wires to it - the stock wire is something pathetic like 22 or 24 gauge.

Also saw a pretty drat nice 2001 Eldorado in the junkyard, body looked brand new, no accident damage, and the interior was in pretty good shape. :saddowns:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jun 14, 2011

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
My friend has been using a 1997 Cadillac DeVille (d'Elegance, bitches!) and it's horn sounds like a Santa Fe diesel freight train, swear to god. And that's inside the car -- I bet, standing as a pedestrian as it goes by, the doppler effect would make it sound even more...trainey.

Funny thing is, it handles exactly as I imagine trying to drive a train on asphalt would. Worst car in the world. It has an umbrella holder (tube of fabric) on the front seat, and you can't close any of the doors normally, they all close to 1 or 2 inches, then pull themselves in the rest of the way. And if you're braking at 60 on a left turn, the car shuts down and the ABS freaks out.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jun 15, 2011

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

The Altima got a set of horns from a 1990 Cadillac Deville :v: Still need to make some proper brackets, but it's better than the pathetic "meepCOUGHWHEEZEcoughmeeeeeeep" ... thing.. that it had. Total cost: $12.20 at Pick n Pull.

this is beautiful, and I feel like I should do it to my sentra.

Speaking of the Sentra, I put my Nismo header into it a while back. You have no idea how nice it is to be able to engine brake without fear of the PO's lovely driving coming back to bite me. Note also that a car with only a header swap sounds kinda silly, but, at about 1800rpm, you can make your car sound like WWII in a parking garage.

Next up: taking the whole drat thing apart again and sealing the exhaust leak I created, as well as having the mating flange machined flat. (should really have checked that stuff out before the install)

I also found out my head gasket is leaking externally. I guess that's up on my list... the QR25 in this car is almost flush against the passenger side body where the strut and wheel are, so i don't expect that will be fun and I will instead continue to feed it about .75 quarts of oil every 5000 miles.

Other things I've been involved in recently: rebuilding the carburetor for a 22R engine in a 1989 toyota truck. Apparently, the engine is either afflicted with a bad firing order or something inside the dizzy is hosed, but despite that, it idles fine and will move under its own power. Apparently, Top Gear was right - you can't kill the hilux.

doogle
May 24, 2003

Installed a water/meth kit into my 135i. After the tune adjusts and along with my other mods should be good for around 410whp.

verhulce
Mar 3, 2007
Installed manual boost controller. Set it at 17.5psi. Then stared into the nose for a while, trying to figure out just how I am going to stuff a 28X18X3 front mount intercooler in there without swapping radiators.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

nurrwick posted:

I also found out my head gasket is leaking externally. I guess that's up on my list... the QR25 in this car is almost flush against the passenger side body where the strut and wheel are, so i don't expect that will be fun and I will instead continue to feed it about .75 quarts of oil every 5000 miles.

What's up crappy Nissan head gasket buddy :hfive:

Mine's leaking coolant externally, around the #4 cylinder. :saddowns: And the KA24DE in mine is also shoehorned into an entirely too small engine bay - even changing the serpentine belt is a complete pain in the rear end, and changing the idler pulley requires removing an engine mount and lifting the engine. So far no signs of coolant/oil mixing or exhaust gases in the cooling system though.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jun 15, 2011

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Today I used the Turtle Wax Black Box on my Cobalt, and it looks pretty good for only taking an hour of my time. Tomorrow will be the new intake install. I broke the breather nipple on the stock intake by daring to put a new air filter in (stupid brittle plastic junk), so I just went ahead and ordered the AEM kit that I was planning on ordering in the future anyway.

Four Banger
Oct 29, 2008
Put it up for sale. Lookin to get a small pick up, and there's a Sonoma that has caught my eye.

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

What's up crappy Nissan head gasket buddy :hfive:

Mine's leaking coolant externally, around the #4 cylinder. :saddowns: And the KA24DE in mine is also shoehorned into an entirely too small engine bay - even changing the serpentine belt is a complete pain in the rear end, and changing the idler pulley requires removing an engine mount and lifting the engine. So far no signs of coolant/oil mixing or exhaust gases in the cooling system though.

When I do it, I think I'm going to be brave and order a later-model QR25 gasket. They are made of metal and are supposed to be substantially tougher, but you have to drill an oil passage through it that they apparently didn't need anymore after 2006 (hence brave).

I totally get you on the serp belt, too, since it took me about 10 minutes of pull, push, rotate, pull etc. to get the belt between the power steering pulley and the body frame. I probably would have had better luck going at it from the top, but I was not about to be defeated by a 6 year old piece of rubber.

BUT. The gasket may be leaking both ways. My first blackstone report showed 317 ppm sodium, which they said could be antifreeze or it could be oil additives. There was no water, so I am hopeful for the latter, but I don't count on it. I guess I'll find out in a couple thousand miles when the next sample goes in, but if there's any doubt at that point, I'm getting dirty again this year - I don't feel like running the risk, knowing how stupidly fragile these motors can be.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Well, I was impatient and put the intake on tonight. During my test drive, no CEL's and no hoses popping off. Sounds incredible under boost, and I actually heard my recirculating valve for the first time. At low boost, it sounds like a goose.

Edit: Picture!

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jun 17, 2011

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

Put this:

here:

I also fixed the god-awful mess that the previous owner made of the PCV system hoses:

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009
Well, I decided to take half my car apart today. To solve that 5th gear popping out issue I had to get to the transfer case.

First we threw the car up on some nice new jack stands. I then took the wheels of so nobody would steal them. Gotta protect my oh so expensive Rotas.

Unfortunately to get the transfer case off, one must take the TBE, the drive shaft, the shift linkage, and the tranny crossmember off.

My wonderful TurboXS exhaust with Prodrive axelback.

And the TurboXS downpipe with I need to re-wrap. I guess drifting around and doing cyclones in unplowed parking lots can mess things up.

And last but not least, the transfer case.

Now I need to buy more oil for Uncle Scotty's Cocktail, some new bolts for my downpipe, an exhaust hanger bracket, and throw it all together again.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
One of the headlight adjustment screw covers must have popped off from the headlight housing, so I ordered a replacment:

Hmmm, I was expecting a little envelope or something.

Oh ok:

Some serious packaging overkill.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

PolishPandaBear posted:

Now I need to buy more oil for Uncle Scotty's Cocktail, some new bolts for my downpipe, an exhaust hanger bracket, and throw it all together again.

I would not do the cocktail. There have been some indications of a chemical reaction from the cocktail causing increased wear in some parts. I've often wondered myself if using the cocktail helped lead to my center diff unwinding itself.

Get some Subaru Extra-S. It's better than the cocktail in feel and it's built for our transmissions.

allonblack
Dec 9, 2004

Yes, you.
Put on some Dunlop Star Spec's. :swoon:

allonblack fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jun 22, 2011

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Installed my recently acquired vintage Thule gutter-mount rack.

Then installed my Yakima Skybox 16 on top of that to check fitment and take a test drive.

With the A/C blowing full blast and the carrier on top I can hit 80mph after a protracted flooring of the acceleration suggestion pedal. But I have a terrible whistling coming right above my left ear from somewhere on the top of the driver's door. I get this same whistle sometimes without the carrier on when winds are right, but it's HORRIBLE now with the carrier up top. Not sure how to find it and stop it. Cracking the window stops it so I can't get my hands out there to figure out what exactly is doing it.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

trouser chili posted:

Cracking the window stops it so I can't get my hands out there to figure out what exactly is doing it.

Perhaps the weight of the carrier is distorting the frame around the window? That or your window rubber is old and needs to be replaced.

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.

allonblack posted:

Put on some Dunlop Star Spec's. :swoon:

What did you have before? I like them, for what it's worth. Great wet and dry performance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

allonblack
Dec 9, 2004

Yes, you.

DogDodger posted:

What did you have before? I like them, for what it's worth. Great wet and dry performance.

I had the stock STI tires on Dunlop SP600's which were pretty poo poo overall. I have RE070's on my track tires as well, but I think now that I have these I'm just going to use them for the track as well.