Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

#178 - MY LIFE AS A DOG (Blu-Ray, 9/13)

(same features as DVD)

#230 - 3 WOMEN (Blu-Ray, 9/13)

(same features as DVD)

#579 - THE PHANTOM CARRIAGE (Blu-Ray/DVD, 9/27)

* New digital transfer, restored in collaboration with the Archival Film Collections of the Swedish Film Institute
* Two scores, one by acclaimed Swedish composer Matti Bye and the other by the experimental duo KTL
* Audio commentary featuring film historian Casper Tybjerg
* Interview with Ingmar Bergman excerpted from the 1981 documentary Victor Sjöström: A Portrait, by Gösta Werner
* The Bergman Connection, an original visual essay by film historian and Bergman scholar Peter Cowie on The Phantom Carriage’s influence on Bergman
* New and improved English subtitle translation
* PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by screenwriter and filmmaker Paul Mayersberg
* More!

#580 - LE BEAU SERGE (Blu-Ray/DVD, 9/20)

* New digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition
* New audio commentary featuring Guy Austin, author of Claude Chabrol
* Segment from a 1969 episode of the French television series L’invité du dimanche in which Chabrol revisits Sardent, the town he grew up in and the film’s location
* A 2011 documentary by filmmaker Pierre-Henri Gibert on the making of Le beau Serge
* Theatrical trailer
* PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by film critic Terrence Rafferty
* More!

#581 - LES COUSINS (Blu-Ray/DVD, 9/20)

* New digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition
* Audio commentary featuring film scholar Adrian Martin
* A 2011 documentary by filmmaker Pierre-Henri Gibert about the making of Les cousins, featuring director Claude Chabrol, star Stéphane Audran, assistant directors Charles Bitsch and Claude de Givray, and others
* Theatrical trailer
* PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by film critic Terrence Rafferty

#582 - CARLOS (2-disc Blu-Ray/4-disc DVD, 9/27)

* New digital transfer, supervised and approved by directors of photography Denis Lenoir and Yorick Le Saux, with DTS-HD Master Audio on the Blu-ray edition
* New video interviews with director Olivier Assayas, Lenoir, Le Saux, and actor Édgar Ramírez
* Twenty-minute making-of documentary on the film’s OPEC raid scene
* Original theatrical trailer
* PLUS: A booklet featuring essays by critics Colin MacCabe and Greil Marcus, plus biographies on selected historical figures portrayed in the film, written by the film’s historical adviser, Stephen Smith
* Much more!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

My take:

My Life As a Dog - I haven't seen this since high school, this might be a good opportunity to check it out again. Except Netflix won't have it. Sigh.

3 Women - One of my favorite Altmans, not sure I like it enough to buy, though.

Le Beau Serge/Les Cousins - I've been wanting to see more Chabrol, but the little I've seen has been underwhelming.

The Phantom Carriage - Must-buy, but I'm really hoping that "More" means they might add Bergman's The Image Makers. It's one of his best teleplays, and the absence of it would be a huge missed opportunity.

Carlos - Heard nothing but good things, definite rental at least

Aorist
Apr 25, 2006

Denham's does it!
Man, they must really be digging the triangular cover art lately.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Oh god The Phantom Carriage. Looks like it's time to buy a blu-ray player.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Aorist posted:

Man, they must really be digging the triangular cover art lately.

They just think it's acute.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Sheldrake posted:

They just think it's acute.

Yeah I think you might be right.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
Your cute little game is far from obtuse.

Aorist
Apr 25, 2006

Denham's does it!
I hate you all equilaterally.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Isosceles... gently caress.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
This thread has gone off on an amusing tangent.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I like squares.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I like squares.

The right angles rule.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
But I've got a job to do, too. Where I'm going, you can't follow. What I've got to do, you can't be any part of. Ilsa, I'm no good at being noble, but it doesn't take much to see that the problems of three little people don't amount to a hill of beans in this crazy world. Someday you'll understand that. Now, now... Here's looking at Euclid.

Aorist
Apr 25, 2006

Denham's does it!
Seriously, why are regular polygons even in the Collection?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I've wanted to see The Phantom Chariot for a while. The only Sjostrom film I've seen is He Who Gets Slapped. Great to see more silents on Blu... I'm guessing the two Chabrols signal that they're not doing any more DVD-only releases outside Eclipse.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Egbert Souse posted:

I'm guessing the two Chabrols signal that they're not doing any more DVD-only releases outside Eclipse.
I thought this has been obvious for a while. Why would the two Chabrols be what tips you off? If you wanted to point to a single release that signaled this a much better example would be the extraless The Makioka Sisters.

Anyway, The Phantom Carriage is great and I'm glad it'll be getting more exposure.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

I thought this has been obvious for a while. Why would the two Chabrols be what tips you off? If you wanted to point to a single release that signaled this a much better example would be the extraless The Makioka Sisters.

Anyway, The Phantom Carriage is great and I'm glad it'll be getting more exposure.

Yeah, that's an indicator. I really wish they'd have two main price tiers like they used to have for DVDs. $30 MSRP for bare-bones or trailer-only, $40 for releases with more supplemental content. Or put out a double feature like BFI does.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

Egbert Souse posted:

Yeah, that's an indicator. I really wish they'd have two main price tiers like they used to have for DVDs. $30 MSRP for bare-bones or trailer-only, $40 for releases with more supplemental content. Or put out a double feature like BFI does.

Well Blow Out has Murder a la Mode and The Killing will have Killer's Kiss, so they are doing double features in the BFI style here and there.

Pigeon Shamus
Apr 14, 2010

There's a guard with a pair of swollen testicles who swears you wanted out of here.

Origami Dali posted:

Just an early heads up. B&N Criterion 50% off sale will be back on starting July 12th. Commence weeping over your soon-to-be-empty bank accounts.

Why will Secret Sunshine not be out until this finishes nyaaaaaargh

Maybe I'll pick up something low-key. Baby's First Criterion. (I say that every year. It's depressing.)

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Merry Christmas Scary Wormhole!
I'm thinking of blind-buying Secret Sunshine in the future. Is it worth it? I've seen Poetry and I really, really enjoyed that.

Pigeon Shamus
Apr 14, 2010

There's a guard with a pair of swollen testicles who swears you wanted out of here.

Friedpundit posted:

I'm thinking of blind-buying Secret Sunshine in the future. Is it worth it? I've seen Poetry and I really, really enjoyed that.

It's my favourite of three Lee films I've seen. Jeon Do-yeon gives probably the best female performance of the last ten years in it and it's immensely heartbreaking and captivating and the cinematography is second-to-none. Definitely worth a blind buy if you so much as watched five seconds of Poetry and thought "this might be decent".

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Pigeon Shamus posted:

Jeon Do-yeon gives probably the best female performance of the last ten years in it

Mulholland Drive still falls within ten years so this obviously can't be true. :colbert:

Pigeon Shamus
Apr 14, 2010

Criminal Minded posted:

Mulholland Drive still falls within ten years so this obviously can't be true. :colbert:

I see what you are saying and I can only say that you are tragically, tragically wrong, sir.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

edit: wrong thread

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009
My Blu copy of Insignificance is actually Blow Out, on disc. :O That's quite a printing error. Rob at Criterion is replacing it for free thankfully. I wonder how many others have had this problem.

Edit: kaujot, I didn't realize that in addition to living a street over from me, you are also a Criterion fan. We must trade films sometime!

got dat wmd fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jun 19, 2011

Slavman
Jun 11, 2011

Has anyone bought and watched the blu of Solaris yet?

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009
Yes and it's certainly worth buying, especially for the essays.

Slavman
Jun 11, 2011

Sounds interesting. I wish Criterion would release more by Andrei Tarkovsky. The other two titles currently in the catalog are in my opinion not as interesting as his other films. I'd love to see a Stalker or Nostalghia on Blu-ray. Especially Stalker since it's cinematography is unmatched.

I send Criterion an email regarding this about a year ago, and they replied that they wouldn't release more Tarkovsky films for the near future.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
They've been working on an HD upgrade for Andrei Rublev for years now. It's only a matter of time.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

kaujot posted:

They've been working on an HD upgrade for Andrei Rublev for years now. It's only a matter of time.

Oh my god I'd forgotten about that. I'm so excited.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice
September 27 is going to be expensive for me.

The worst/best part about Criterion announcing movies (especially on Blu) that I really want is that I get all excited and can't wait for the release date and end up buying something else in the meantime.

Not exactly the worst kind of problem to have though.

The Castro
Apr 28, 2010
Saw House the other night. Oh boy, what a trip, I'm going to have to watch it again.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

So, Criterion posted this pic on Facebook with the caption "Hard at work on our 2012 release schedule... It's going to be a great year!"

Needless to say, the cf.org guys have been poring over it with magnifying glasses and Blade Runner "zoom-enhance" kinda poo poo or whatever. This is some of the stuff they've come up with. Take all of this with a massive grain of salt:

Qatsi trilogy
My Dinner With Andre
War Room
Odd Man Out
Autumn Sonata
Life of Oharu
Canterbury Tales
Gorin
Paris nous appartient
Satyricon
La Promesse
Decameron
Lonesome (Ride Lonesome?)
Ministry of Fear
Spartacus
Heaven's Gate
Sunday Bloody Sunday
The Bridge
Mailer/Mahler
L'Argent
The Soft Skin
Summer With Monika
Night to Remember
Dr. Seuss
Trial of Joan of Arc
La Haine
Vagabond
La Regle de jeu
Satyajit Ray Apu

Obviously some of these are Blu-Ray upgrades, some are already known, some would be nice additions. I'll wait for official announcements (or at least newsletter clues) before I start getting excited about any of them though.

Aorist
Apr 25, 2006

Denham's does it!
I misread "Decameron" as "Decalogue" and became irrationally excited. Oh well. New Bresson and Ray is cause for celebration enough.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

FitFortDanga posted:

Mailer/Mahler

I'd be so into an Eclipse set of Norman Mailer's movie.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
They are so bad, though. :(

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

I'm okay with Maidstone.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
If Fanny and Alexander on blu-ray doesn't happen in 2012...:argh:

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
I am right there with you. The delay is killing me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavman
Jun 11, 2011

FitFortDanga posted:

---

Satyajit Ray Apu

---

This means they'll be releasing the entire Apu trilogy?