Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I'M A TURTLE AND I'M SURFING, THAT'S CRAZY!
I honestly don't think cages are that bad. I would rather a cage than this poor guy I saw take a puck off the boards then into this face. Opened a huge gash right under his eye. A little higher and he might be blind. Also I play net so I always have a cage on so maybe that's why bars and crap barely bother me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

bewbies posted:

In the hundreds of beer league and pickup games I've played I've never seen anyone get hurt because of a lack of shoulder pads. A couple times of year guys will get hit by a puck and get a bruise, but that's about the upper limit.

I personally don't wear them because they're hot and heavy, plus the above fact makes the risk-reward calculation pretty simple.
Wait, if nobody ever gets hurt, then why were you yelling at this guy for taking chest-high slapshots? He apparently isn't going to hurt anybody very much.

Taking a high shot is perfectly legitimate (assuming he wasn't TRYING to cause injury), even if it's not the smartest hockey move. Sometimes it happens by accident, too. And you don't even know if the dude had his head up and knew there were that many guys in front of the net. We aren't all professional level players with impeccable and perfectly consistent technique who can pick corners and skate with their heads up at all times and it's perfectly reasonable to expect that the players on the ice are either adequately protected for any shot you take or prepared to accept the consequences of not being protected.

If you go over the risk-reward and decide wearing a visor or not wearing shoulder pads or whatever is worth more than the risk, that's fine. But don't go reaping all the reward, then blame somebody else when the risk comes back to bite you in the rear end. I'm not going to change my game just to accomodate you enjoying all the rewards and avoiding all the risk. If a goalie decided he wanted to wear player shoulders because he was more comfortable, then asked you to not shoot hard so he doesn't get hurt, you'd tell him to gently caress off.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!
Going to the Sharks sale tomorrow going to load up on the prostock goodness:woop:

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

coldwind posted:

Wait, if nobody ever gets hurt, then why were you yelling at this guy for taking chest-high slapshots? He apparently isn't going to hurt anybody very much.

Taking a high shot is perfectly legitimate (assuming he wasn't TRYING to cause injury), even if it's not the smartest hockey move. Sometimes it happens by accident, too. And you don't even know if the dude had his head up and knew there were that many guys in front of the net. We aren't all professional level players with impeccable and perfectly consistent technique who can pick corners and skate with their heads up at all times and it's perfectly reasonable to expect that the players on the ice are either adequately protected for any shot you take or prepared to accept the consequences of not being protected.

If you go over the risk-reward and decide wearing a visor or not wearing shoulder pads or whatever is worth more than the risk, that's fine. But don't go reaping all the reward, then blame somebody else when the risk comes back to bite you in the rear end. I'm not going to change my game just to accomodate you enjoying all the rewards and avoiding all the risk. If a goalie decided he wanted to wear player shoulders because he was more comfortable, then asked you to not shoot hard so he doesn't get hurt, you'd tell him to gently caress off.

I wear every piece of gear I have every time I play (including stick and puck) because you never know. I'd rather not die from a puck to the chest stopping my heart or a stick knocking out 3 teeth. Obviously those things are almost impossibly unlikely, but there's no reason for me not to protect myself as much as possible.

cenzo
Dec 5, 2003

'roux mad?

coldwind posted:

This is pretty much the philosophy I adhere to. If I forget my jock in the dryer, I don't try to block shots with my dick by laying down in front of someone taking a slap shot with their head down. I likewise will not hold up on a shot if someone does something to interfere with me if it's what I feel is the right move at the time, which includes attempting to shoot over/around someone trying to block my shot.

Besides, there's only so much you can do to be personally accountable for your own protection. There's always the freak bounce/slip/stick thrown across the arena that could wind up impaling you.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

coldwind posted:

Taking a high shot is perfectly legitimate (assuming he wasn't TRYING to cause injury), even if it's not the smartest hockey move.

It makes you a gigantic dildo in some (most) leagues, though. Especially if the skill level is high enough for the average player to not take a shot that increases potential for injury and has a 0% chance of going through.

manic mike
Oct 8, 2003

no bond too surly
I used to play with my dad in the "older gentleman's league". Shoulder pads are optional because it's no checking and generally full of old slow skaters.

I was sitting on the bench and my old coach from when I was little skates up to get off the ice. He just casually glides over. He wasn't even moving fast.

As he got about 5 feet from the bench his skate must have hit a pot hole or something because he flew forward like somebody had tripped him. He didn't even have time to put his hands out. His shoulder smacked right into the corner of boards right in front of where I was sitting.

Then he just lay there screaming for somebody to put his arm back in his shoulder. Took a good 30 minutes to get him off the ice and into an ambulance. The guy wasn't wearing shoulder pads so his shoulder took the full force of the fall. I think he had a broken collar bone and had to wear a cast and sling for months.

That's why I will always wear shoulder pads. Not because I'm scared of slap shots or slashes. Because ice is slippery and you never know when you might take a bad fall.

Same goes for a cage. It's just not worth that one freak accident.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Last night in the game prior to ours, a player went down into the boards and separated his shoulder asking for someone to put it back in. It looked pretty nasty, since nobody could put it in, he had to skate off with his shoulder out of socket. Shits gross.

Its basically up to the player as mentioned before, if you don't want to gear up and accept the consequences of the risk, then its all you. But you cant willingly get upset if someone accidently has their stick bounced out of their hands and it chips your teeth.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My rink requires full protective gear before they let you out on the ice for pickup games. I guess they're on the cutting edge of not letting people get hurt. :science:

Stick and puck, all you need is a mask and gloves.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Verman posted:

Last night in the game prior to ours, a player went down into the boards and separated his shoulder asking for someone to put it back in. It looked pretty nasty, since nobody could put it in, he had to skate off with his shoulder out of socket. Shits gross.

Sounds like a dislocation, you can't pop a separation back in :eng101:

I saw an older guy get high stuck under his visor the other day at drop-in because some kid who had just started playing was too dumb to keep his stick down. He didn't seem to be bleeding but was pissed off and left. No thanks, I'll stick with my cage.

edit: Actually that same dumb kid crashed into my sternum shoulder-first a while ago and I was glad to be wearing shoulder pads at the time so yeah, full gear when playing except stick and puck.

Thufir fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jun 15, 2011

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

coldwind posted:

The guy in my anecdote from earlier plays for OU, he can control his slapper just fine. He was going for some Heatley-roofit nonsense, which was even stupider because there were a half dozen people between him and the net. Conversely I don't yell at lovely players who can't control their slappers, I just get out of the way.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

bewbies posted:

The guy in my anecdote from earlier plays for OU, he can control his slapper just fine. He was going for some Heatley-roofit nonsense, which was even stupider because there were a half dozen people between him and the net. Conversely I don't yell at lovely players who can't control their slappers, I just get out of the way.

Okay I have to hear this guy's name now. I'm pretty sure OU had a player last year that got like 4 misconducts over the course of the year, one for taking a baseball swing at a player's knees. I'm pretty sure it's Justin King.

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS
If you don't have proper pads on, don't stand in the shooting lane if you don't want the puck shot at you

Seems pretty simple to me

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

bewbies posted:

In the hundreds of beer league and pickup games I've played I've never seen anyone get hurt because of a lack of shoulder pads.

I severely bruised a rib (possibly cracked it) at drop-in due to my not wearing shoulder pads at the time. I was out for about a month.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

poser posted:

Going to the Sharks sale tomorrow going to load up on the prostock goodness:woop:

I was going to go, but I'm in Portland for work all week. I need new pants after tripping over the blue line last Saturday. My rear end still hurts :smith:

Good news is that we have a double-header on Saturday/Sunday. Can't wait to play 2 games.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
I wear a cage and shoulder pads because I play aggressive defense, and I have a job that requires me to not have crippling injuries and to not have horrible facial scars.

Anyone that chooses to play otherwise is putting himself at a huge risk for a major injury, and there's really no justification for it. I sincerely hope that within the next 10-15 years, no one at any level is allowed on the ice without a full cage.

oddIXIbbo
Feb 25, 2009

Character is like a tree and reputation like a shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

Aggro posted:

<snip>
I sincerely hope that within the next 10-15 years, no one at any level is allowed on the ice without a full cage.

Sir, I respectfully and emphatically disagree with you.

I also play aggressive defense and prefer non-crippling injuries. However, just like many other things that come with being an adult, one can choose their own place on the risk/reward spectrum.

Don't want your teeth gashed in with an errant stick? Wear a cage.
Prefer to see the ice with no fog or visual bars? Don't wear a cage.

The difficulty is that you can't have both.

I would like to see, somehow, more emphasis on teaching younger/inexperienced skaters to keep their goddamned sticks down when they are skating without the puck. The worst facial injury, splitting my upper lip like a hare, came from backchecking. An opponent racing for the puck, skating ahead of me with two hands on his stick, hit me on the back swing. The puck was probably 20 feet ahead and there was no reason for his stick to be up there, aside from carelessness.

I wear a cage now, but it is my choice. I don't trust the other players to be as careful as I am. Force cages at all levels and there is no reason to learn to be careful with your stick.

oddIXIbbo fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Jun 16, 2011

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

oddIXIbbo posted:

I would like to see, somehow, more emphasis on teaching younger/inexperienced skaters to keep their goddamned sticks down when they are skating without the puck. The worst facial injury, splitting my upper lip like a hare, came from backchecking. An opponent racing for the puck, skating ahead of me with two hands on his stick, hit me on the back swing. The puck was probably 20 feet ahead and there was no reason for his stick to be up there, aside from carelessness.

I wear a cage now, but it is my choice. I don't trust the other players to be as careful as I am. Force cages at all levels and there is no reason to learn to be careful with your stick.
A. If everybody had to wear a cage, people wouldn't have to learn to keep their sticks down. They would want to, but it wouldn't be necessary for the safety of the game. Cept maybe the refs. OK, they have to wear cages, too.

B. It's up to an adult to chose their place in the risk-reward spectrum, but it's also up to the hockey organization to decide what the extremes are of that spectrum. Not wearing a helmet is also part of the spectrum, but the organizations can (and should) make that part of the spectrum off limits.

C. Many players never get any formal (or even semi-formal) instruction. How do you handle that? I mean, do you force them to get instruction?

(I'm not in support of mandating cages. Just saying how somebody in support could counter your arguments.)

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008
I don't see how anybody can advocate full cages before they advocate for neck guards or spine protectors. Puck to the face won't kill you, but a skate to the throat can.

Also if you intentional shoot high through traffic at pick-up you are an rear end in a top hat and I can't believe that's even a debate.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

:whatup:

Bananananana
Feb 10, 2009

gigabitnokie posted:

I don't see how anybody can advocate full cages before they advocate for neck guards or spine protectors. Puck to the face won't kill you, but a skate to the throat can.

Also if you intentional shoot high through traffic at pick-up you are an rear end in a top hat and I can't believe that's even a debate.

I think its a lot easier to get beaned in the face than sliced by a skate though, and neck guards are really uncomfortable.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

poser posted:

:whatup:

Man, I need to watch out for the Preds sale, wanna score some goods.

oddIXIbbo
Feb 25, 2009

Character is like a tree and reputation like a shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

coldwind posted:

A. If everybody had to wear a cage, people wouldn't have to learn to keep their sticks down. They would want to, but it wouldn't be necessary for the safety of the game. Cept maybe the refs. OK, they have to wear cages, too.

B. It's up to an adult to chose their place in the risk-reward spectrum, but it's also up to the hockey organization to decide what the extremes are of that spectrum. Not wearing a helmet is also part of the spectrum, but the organizations can (and should) make that part of the spectrum off limits.

C. Many players never get any formal (or even semi-formal) instruction. How do you handle that? I mean, do you force them to get instruction?

(I'm not in support of mandating cages. Just saying how somebody in support could counter your arguments.)

I get what you're saying but some of these counterarguments are specific to official league play. Not all hockey is played in sanctioned, officiated venues. It is my opinion that it is better to learn not to skate with your stick around your shoulders, in general, for being a better hockey player.

No one needs to be 'officially' taught not to do it. No instruction is necessary. If you carelessly spear someone in the face, you should probably expect to get the snot knocked out of you. Men have been learning that for generations. There was no sanctioning body handing out decrees.

I'm not saying accidents never happen and toothless 60-yr-old players from the good ol' days are always right. I am advocating that hockey can't be played in a bubble of '100% safe'. If you to enjoy hockey and never risk a hockey injury, watch it on TV.

It's better to teach players to stay in control than to legislate away the need for self-control.

oddIXIbbo fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jun 16, 2011

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

Thufir posted:

Man, I need to watch out for the Preds sale, wanna score some goods.

The socks were $5 for used and $10 for new. Pants were $80 regardless of the condition so I went with a new pair instead of Pavs tore up pair. My roomamte scored a pair of pretty new skates for $110. Only thing I did not get that I wanted was an extra pair of gloves.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Just got my new x:40 pants in the mail. Wow, they have like a kajillion times more padding than the x:20s.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART

coldwind posted:

In the U.S., every player has to wear a full cage throughout junior hockey and throughout college. I don't hear about any of those players getting called for high-sticking penalties more often than others. I've worn a cage my entire life, and I still learned to keep my loving stick down and to not take slapshots into crowds of people during meaningless games.

Also, anyone complaining that wearing a cage screws up his vision is full of poo poo. The slits are so thin that as long as you have two functional eyes, you see around them. Hold a pencil at arm's length. Can you see around it? Of course you can -- you have binocular vision. I prefer a cage to a half-shield because ice shavings and fog can obscure your vision; that doesn't happen while wearing a goddamn cage.

Fun fact: All of the players that ended with facial lacerations from falling or being pushed into the boards face-first wouldn't have had them if they were wearing a full cage.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I will never ever ever not wear a full cage. I value my teeth way too much.

That said, if you don't want to wear one, knock yourself out. You know the risks and are responsible enough to know the risk.

I can't lift my slapshot anyway, so don't worry about me firing a shot into your grill :v:

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS
A full facemask makes me freak out and feel claustrophobic so I only wear a half-shield

El Nam
Jan 14, 2007
We found Charlie
The Ducks had their used gear sale about a week ago. I picked up some pro stock Reebok gloves for $60. There were also a lot of sticks for 50 dollars, brand new. Most of them were left handed though, so I couldn't get one. My buddy who does shoot left did get 2 S19's for 100 dollars. Also, new socks were 1 dollar.

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010

toxicsunset posted:

If you don't have proper pads on, don't stand in the shooting lane if you don't want the puck shot at you

Seems pretty simple to me

Where the hell are you guys playing where this is ok (at least for pickup) ? I play 3-4 times a week up here in MN at various rinks and EVERY single time some dumbass rips a chest high or above slapper from the point with a bunch of traffic in front of the net, most everyone yells at the dude or just take a note of who shot the puck and just split the seas whenever he has the puck.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Holy poo poo, I think I may have found yellow-enough gloves!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Eagle-X65i-Hockey-Gloves-NEW_W0QQitemZ220790423946QQcategoryZ20853QQvarZQQcmdZViewItem#vi-content

Need to find out how "gold" they are instead of bright yellow though. The Eagle website is pretty terrible.

e: VVV you're telling me. I've been looking for almost a year now. I'm bored in the PDX airport and figured I'd do my 2000th google search for yellow gloves and bang those showed up.

Last week there was a lady on the other team we played who had black and yellow gloves. After the game I asked her where she got them, and she said she bought them 15 years ago in a local shop that's now closed :smith:

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jun 17, 2011

El Nam
Jan 14, 2007
We found Charlie

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Eagle-X65i-Hockey-Gloves-NEW_W0QQitemZ220790423946QQcategoryZ20853QQvarZQQcmdZViewItem#vi-content

Need to find out how "gold" they are instead of bright yellow though. The Eagle website is pretty terrible.

This is a seemingly never ending quest.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

e: VVV you're telling me. I've been looking for almost a year now. I'm bored in the PDX airport and figured I'd do my 2000th google search for yellow gloves and bang those showed up.

Last week there was a lady on the other team we played who had black and yellow gloves. After the game I asked her where she got them, and she said she bought them 15 years ago in a local shop that's now closed :smith:
http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/hockeymonkey_2159_138605939

You're welcome, just buy me a beer sometime. :)

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

El Nam posted:

The Ducks had their used gear sale about a week ago. I picked up some pro stock Reebok gloves for $60. There were also a lot of sticks for 50 dollars, brand new. Most of them were left handed though, so I couldn't get one. My buddy who does shoot left did get 2 S19's for 100 dollars. Also, new socks were 1 dollar.

What the hell, used socks were $5 and $10 new at the Sharks sale.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Aggro posted:

In the U.S., every player has to wear a full cage throughout junior hockey and throughout college. I don't hear about any of those players getting called for high-sticking penalties more often than others. I've worn a cage my entire life, and I still learned to keep my loving stick down and to not take slapshots into crowds of people during meaningless games.

Also, anyone complaining that wearing a cage screws up his vision is full of poo poo. The slits are so thin that as long as you have two functional eyes, you see around them. Hold a pencil at arm's length. Can you see around it? Of course you can -- you have binocular vision. I prefer a cage to a half-shield because ice shavings and fog can obscure your vision; that doesn't happen while wearing a goddamn cage.

Yeah, you want to keep your stick down because theoretically if you're on the ice you should be in a position where the puck could be near you at some point and you want to be ready for that, and you won't be if your stick is over waist high.

And also, I literally don't even notice having a cage on unless the puck is in my feet. And looking down at the puck in your feet, even without a cage, is just asking for someone to plaster you and gently caress up your neck. I've always hated the shields too, because fog fucks up my day far more than any cage ever has.

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS
I have never had a problem with fog even once. My poo poo only fogs when I'm sitting on the bench, as soon as I step out on the ice it clears up immediately

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009
Why are so many hockey pucks made in Slovakia?

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

toxicsunset posted:

I have never had a problem with fog even once. My poo poo only fogs when I'm sitting on the bench, as soon as I step out on the ice it clears up immediately
I've never had mine fog up no matter where I am, be it bench, ice or locker room so I think you have a weird shield.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

real_scud posted:

I've never had mine fog up no matter where I am, be it bench, ice or locker room so I think you have a weird shield.

Mine does the same: fogs on the bench, defogs when I'm playing. I use defogger spray too but I'm not altogether convinced it works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Condensation develops when warm moist air (your breathing) hits a cold surface (the visor cools off a lot when you're skating around).

Either tip your helmet back so your breath doesn't hit the shield, or warm up the visor with a few swipes of a towel.

:eng101: