Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Realistically it's not like he actually needs a new phone, but if there ever comes a day that either a) he can get an Android phone without paying more than his $30/mo, or b) decides he can afford $40-50 a month instead, I'll go light that thing on fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

nate fisher posted:

Someone told me that if you take away the 3D it is the EVO done right this time. You agree with that?

I don't really think my EVO was "done wrong", aside from maybe it would have been nice to have a slightly larger battery shipped with it.

change my name posted:

Battery life?

That's the only real complaint I've ever had, and even that was a drop in the bucket compared to the firestorm of complaints I hear about the Thunderbolt's battery. And it was easily fixed by putting in a larger battery, which also came with a better battery cover anyway.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

sirbeefalot posted:

What was done "wrong" with the EVO?

Light leakage, battery life, a lovely camera for it being a 8MP camera, nothing really new in relation to Sense, and a prone to break charging port. I like my EVO and I happy enough with it to wait for the SGS2 or Nexus 3, but the EVO was far from perfect.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jun 15, 2011

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Duckman2008 posted:

Sprint dumbphone options kinda suck, the best one is the rumor touch and it has been out over 1 year now. The only dumbphone I could recommend over the TP2 is the lotus elite, and sadly that phone is 6 months discontinued.

Good to know, since actually I was considering just getting a dumbphone this time. I just want poo poo to work and not worry about the hardware being outdated. I just talk, text, and email.

Shed
Apr 13, 2005

You stupid bitch.
I would say on 2D it's definitely an EVO 4g but more improved. However, there may be issues with the phone that aren't noticeable until lots of people have it in their hands on the 24th.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

nate fisher posted:

Light leakage, battery life, a lovely camera for it being a 8MP camera, nothing really new in relation to Sense, and a prone to break charging port. I like my EVO and I happy enough with it to wait for the SGS2 or Nexus 3, but the EVO was far from perfect.
I don't know what you're expecting, but my pictures come out awesome. Maybe the AOSP camera app is better, I don't know. The others aren't really big issues for me, either. But you did remind me that I have a couple of annoying hot spots on my screen that are noticeable on white backgrounds.

Still, the Evo 4G is *far* from a broken phone.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

If I signed up for the EVO 3D at Best Buy, does that wipe my upgrade then and there or does it not go away until the time of sale?

Contemplating just going through Amazon as it's cheaper and just using the $50 GC from Best Buy on something else.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

brc64 posted:

I don't know what you're expecting, but my pictures come out awesome. Maybe the AOSP camera app is better, I don't know. The others aren't really big issues for me, either. But you did remind me that I have a couple of annoying hot spots on my screen that are noticeable on white backgrounds.

Still, the Evo 4G is *far* from a broken phone.

Never said it was broken just has some issues. About the camera it just sucks that the 5MP iPhone camera takes better pictures.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

CharlesM posted:

Good to know, since actually I was considering just getting a dumbphone this time. I just want poo poo to work and not worry about the hardware being outdated. I just talk, text, and email.

All the dumbphones kinda suck at email is your only problem. Replenish would be the best option for that while it isn't ana extra $10 a month actually.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

The Entire Universe posted:

If I signed up for the EVO 3D at Best Buy, does that wipe my upgrade then and there or does it not go away until the time of sale?

Contemplating just going through Amazon as it's cheaper and just using the $50 GC from Best Buy on something else.
It shouldn't go away until you actually buy the phone.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

nate fisher posted:

I don't want to sound like some kind of apologest fanboy, but:

Light leakage - I haven't noticed on my EVO, my wife's or my wife's replacement

battery life - I get ATLEAST as good of battery life as I have had with my previous Windows mobile phones, provided I have a good cell signal. Poor signal = bad battery life. Good signal (like when I am at home with an Airave) = no charging all weekend.

a lovely camera for it being a 8MP camera - I am no photographer, but the EVO takes pretty drat good pictures for a cell phone. And the Dual LED flash is actually bright enough that it is useful as a flash.

nothing really new in relation to Sense - Uh, what?

a prone to break charging port - I have seen multiple people complain about their charge port breaking. Definitively a higher failure rate than normal, but hardly an epidemic.

All that said, I would fault the EVO for the following:

The CPU/GPU that it uses was nearly a year old when it came out. And while it was still a high end CPU when the phone was released, the GPU was not all that great and the CPU was almost immediately out classed by newer CPU that competitors put out. The EVO 3D is one of the first phones to use the new Qualcomm MSM8x60 chipset, which is significantly faster.

That said, the EVO 4G is still a high performance device capable of running almost any application with little or no slow down, with the exception of some 3D games.

Also, the EVO 4G's does not have the best image quality on it's screen. I saw rumors right after it came out that it's screen is only capable of 16bit color. Searching for that now give a lot of conflicting information. Either way, I can say that it's screen is not even close to the image quality of the iPhone 4 or even HTC's other phones that have 3.7" screens. The EVO 3D should have much better image quality with it's SLCD screen.

Anyways, I am still going to upgrade from my EVO to the EVO 3D because the EVO 3D is 2x the smartphone that the EVO is, spec wise. And 2x a great phone is like a really great phone.

edit:

nate fisher posted:

Never said it was broken just has some issues. About the camera it just sucks that the 5MP iPhone camera takes better pictures.

Megapixels is not a very meaningful metric for image quality. The EVO 4G and the iPhone 4 have nearly identical imaging sensors. Same size, same specs, etc. Any differences in image quality between the two is largely because of software.

Lowen SoDium fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jun 15, 2011

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I don't like to bitch about a phone I like, but all I said the EVO has/had issues. I am on my 3rd EVO in less than a year because of some of these issues (I got hit with charging port issues myself), and right now my current EVO has light leakage issues, but I live it with it. I have zero regret buying a EVO because it is still the best phone Sprint is selling at this time. I have been a loyal HTC buyer for awhile (the EVO I think was my 5th HTC phone), and outside of them making some ugly phones I am a big fan. But again they are not perfect and that was all I was saying.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755

Duckman2008 posted:

Sprint dumbphone options kinda suck, the best one is the rumor touch and it has been out over 1 year now. The only dumbphone I could recommend over the TP2 is the lotus elite, and sadly that phone is 6 months discontinued.

The Reclaim is a great dumbphone.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Matlock posted:

The Reclaim is a great dumbphone.

Sometimes. I haven't had horrid problems, but for me that phone is always killed by how downright ugly it is. And sometimes it just gets overwhelmed and shuts down. But when it was priced at free it was a good feature phone buy.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Lowen SoDium posted:

nothing really new in relation to Sense - Uh, what?

They didn't update Sense when they released the Evo. It was the same version as was on the Hero and whatnot. The Evo 3D has a new version of Sense running on it, 3.0, which adds some eye candy and stuff to it.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Myrddin Emrys posted:

They didn't update Sense when they released the Evo. It was the same version as was on the Hero and whatnot. The Evo 3D has a new version of Sense running on it, 3.0, which adds some eye candy and stuff to it.

To be fair it did have a couple of perks that the Hero didn't have (like some new widgets), but pretty much it was the same ole Sense from the Hero (which is where I came from). Sense 3.0 everything from the new weather and lock screen looks great. I spent a couple of days running a ROM that had the new lock screen and it was nice. One of the best lock screens I have used. That said the new MIUI ROM lock screen that is coming out soon looks to be the best lock screen I have ever seen.

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!
A lot of people in the mid-Michigan area that are on sprint are having network issues. Not sure if someone made a mention of it in this thread or not, but it's been going on since January, with an ETR of late October. Sprint's corporate executives are only crediting me 50% of my bill for 3 months, and that's it.

I really don't want to switch to Verizon; I don't get what I have with Sprint when looking at a comparably priced plan with Verizon, but my network is slow as dog poo poo, and its not looking to improve for a while, from what they tell me.

I can get out of my contract at any time, not pay any ETF at the drop of a hat. I called their retentions group, and they stated that there is not much they can do, but to let people out of their contract. It's like Sprint is acknowledging that they cannot fix the problem. :(

Besides retentions, and their executive support, is there anyone else I can contact to have them adjust my bill until October? I'm willing to stay, but refusing to pay full price for half a network.

Also: Duckman2008, thanks again for the help back last year! :D

trunkwontopen fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jun 15, 2011

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

trunkwontopen posted:

A lot of people in the mid-Michigan area that are on sprint are having network issues. Not sure if someone made a mention of it in this thread or not, but it's been going on since January, with an ETR of late October. Sprint's corporate executives are only crediting me 50% of my bill for 3 months, and that's it.

I really don't want to switch to Verizon; I don't get what I have with Sprint when looking at a comparably priced plan with Verizon, but my network is slow as dog poo poo, and its not looking to improve for a while, from what they tell me.

I can get out of my contract at any time, not pay any ETF at the drop of a hat. I called their retentions group, and they stated that there is not much they can do, but to let people out of their contract. It's like Sprint is acknowledging that they cannot fix the problem. :(

Besides retentions, and their executive support, is there anyone else I can contact to have them adjust my bill until October? I'm willing to stay, but refusing to pay full price for half a network.

Also: Duckman2008, thanks again for the help back last year! :D

You're welcome, and unfortunately beyond retentions I wouldn't have an answer. Wish I had better news on that one.

Edit: New Sprint phone pricings starting June 24th:
Evo 3D: $199
Evo: $99
Evo Shift: $99
Nexus S: $149

All instant rebates. Not bad at all.

Also, update on price plan offers for the View 4G on anyone wanting that:
$19.99: 1GB of data, 3G only. No 4G
*$34.99: 3GB of 3G, unlimited 4G
*$49.99: 5GB of 3G, unlimited 4G

*$34.99 and $49.99 is when combined with any type of data plan. If you don't have Sprint or have a dumbphone plan its $45 or $60 a month. $19.99 should be the same price for everybody.

Edit 2:

Great great news: Port in credits extended until July 23rd.

Oh, and Evo Shift is getting Gingerbread June 20th.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jun 16, 2011

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Cnet review of the 3d just went up, basically it's "gently caress yeah"

http://reviews.cnet.com/smartphones/htc-evo-3d-sprint/4505-6452_7-34554507.html?tag=TOCcarouselMain.0

Jeratain
Apr 5, 2004

I have no socially redeeming value.
More EVO 3D Reviews are in...

Boy Genius Report
Summary: " At the end of the day, the EVO 3D is a better, faster, thinner, lighter, and more capable EVO 4G...I can confidently say this is my favorite Sprint phone, hands down."

This Is My Next
Summary: 8 / 10

Gizmodo
Summary: "The Evo 3D is more or less the same rear end-kicker its 2D predecessor was, but a year later and faster... [but it's] the first phone to ever literally hurt my face."

Engadget
Summary: 7 / 10

Common complaints in all reviews: Battery isn't as great as it should be (need to charge at least once in the day; Engadget got ~14 hrs and 44 mins before it hit 7%). 3D works but is limited and is painful for some people. The 3D layer added for the screen also doesn't help the 2D stay as clear as it would be otherwise. The camera isn't that great but isn't terrible (in 2D mode).

Common praises in all reviews: The hardware is solid; design is sleek. The dedicated camera button is a blessing (one review claimed it could be smaller, but is still great). It's fast and snappy (hardware and software-wise).

Jeratain fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jun 16, 2011

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Jeratain posted:

Engadget
Summary: 7 / 10

Battery isn't as great as it should be (need to charge at least once in the day; Engadget got ~14 hrs and 22 mins).

Did you read what they said about that though? They claimed they "barely used it" in those 14 hours, then explained that they took 80 3D photos and 4 videos, and 8 hours of active use, as well as a bunch of other poo poo. What a terrible perspective, if that's "barely using" the device.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I have to wait until we pick up my wife 's EVO 3D next week, but after reading these reviews I am glad I waiting.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Cnet said they got through the day and into the next one with moderate to heavy use, so ????? Still it's gonna be a hard transition from the weeklong battery I have on my dumbphone

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

change my name posted:

Cnet said they got through the day and into the next one with moderate to heavy use, so ????? Still it's gonna be a hard transition from the weeklong battery I have on my dumbphone

It can be a pain, but if you work in a office or somewhere it can be charged no biggie. That said I can't count the times I have been out on a weekend night to have my EVO die on me.

Right now I have 5% left and I charged it off and on today, but I have done some streaming since.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jun 16, 2011

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

change my name posted:

The same was said in another review (BGR?) when the 4G radio was off. The Engadget review was with the 4G radio on.

entr0py
Jan 31, 2004

A real-life robot.

Duckman2008 posted:

Great great news: Port in credits extended until July 23rd.

This owns. I was going to try porting 2 lines from ATT for Evo 3Ds and finagling getting the port-in credit by buying something else and doing returns. This makes me look forward to switching even more.

Jeratain
Apr 5, 2004

I have no socially redeeming value.

Boy Genius Report posted:

In 3G mode the EVO lasts for up to a day with moderately-heavy usage. With 4G WiMAX on and connected, however, that quickly drops to around 4-5 hours of on and off usage.
I think we need more thorough reviews to be released before we know the true battery life possibilities. I'm pretty bummed about the screen not being as good as it should be and am really considering just grabbing a Nexus S instead.

EDIT: Of course, I need to actually use both phones in person before I decide.

Jeratain fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jun 16, 2011

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Myrddin Emrys posted:

Did you read what they said about that though? They claimed they "barely used it" in those 14 hours, then explained that they took 80 3D photos and 4 videos, and 8 hours of active use, as well as a bunch of other poo poo. What a terrible perspective, if that's "barely using" the device.

Engadget has been hit or miss since Topolsky left.

Tried out the 3D today, albeit briefly. It is pretty awesome, and my only complaint really is that the camera button is kinda big and 3D is just stupid (but easy to avoid). Phone feels sliiiiightly heavier than the Evo. Screen looks fine to me, but I'm also colorblind. Overall, its going to be badass.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

Myrddin Emrys posted:

I was thinking the same thing. If that is "barely using" a phone, then I can't imagine what "heavy usage" is.

nate fisher posted:

It can be a pain, but if you work in a office or somewhere it can be charged no biggie. That said I can't count the times I have been out on a weekend night to have my EVO die on me.

Right now I have 5% left and I charged it off and on today, but I have done some streaming since.

You could look into a portable battery charger too -

$16.12
2600mAh Universal External Backup Battery for Mobile Devices

$39.76
7800mAh Universal External Backup Battery for Mobile Devices

I'm certainly picking up the 7800mAh one before my next vacation. It'll be very easy to keep this in my backpack to charge my phone (and anyone elses) if need be.

Day-to-Day, I get along just fine since I can charge my phone at the office and in my car when need be.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

nate fisher posted:

a lovely camera for it being a 8MP camera

Of course it did, 8MP and a tiny lens kind of gave that one away.

If you didn't see this coming, I don't know what to say. I'm glad the 3D has a 5MP camera, it should take much better pictures than the 4G did.

Myrddin Emrys posted:

I think it's odd that Engadget is the only source that said the battery is worse, where BGR and others said it's at least slightly better. I'm interested to see a review where they disable Rosie and stop using Sense widgets. Sense is decent looking, but it's drat sure not light on battery usage.

All in all, I'm still looking forward to it. They'll patch Sense a bit, which should improve battery life, and then CM7 should help even more.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

There's also the strong chance of a launch-week point release, which will preemptively address certain issues.

And one thing that's become common advice is to wait a little while for Android phones to dial in their battery meters. Using it all day like it's a new toy (or device to be reviewed) is kind of a short-term usage pattern as well.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

900ftjesus posted:

I think it's odd that Engadget is the only source that said the battery is worse, where BGR and others said it's at least slightly better. I'm interested to see a review where they disable Rosie and stop using Sense widgets. Sense is decent looking, but it's drat sure not light on battery usage.

All in all, I'm still looking forward to it. They'll patch Sense a bit, which should improve battery life, and then CM7 should help even more.

Don't forget, the places that said battery life was slightly better were running without the 4G radio. Engadget seemed to be comparing (subtly, perhaps) the 3G battery life of the original Evo to the 3G/4G battery life of the Evo 3D.

With my Evo, I would say that 14 and a half hours or whatever of (let's face it, heavy usage) with 3G, 4G, and wifi on is a pipedream, so that sounds like a huge improvement.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

How much of a drain is something like the gba emulator going to be? It's kind of unplayable on a tablet for me so as soon as I get the 3d it's going right on

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755

Duckman2008 posted:

Engadget has been hit or miss since Topolsky left.

At least the Evo 3D didn't have 26 mentions of the iPhone in its review.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(
Pretty underwhelmed by the Evo 3D reviews. My normal Evo is still going somewhat strong, so I think I'll probably wait until the Photon or SGII or iPhone (??) come out...

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

I think I may just go with a Nexus S instead of the 3D, I have a trip coming up that I'd love to have a new phone for, and spending 100 bucks less for something that is still really good doesn't seem like a bad idea at all.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Honestly the EVO could outright call me a douchebag in 3D once a day and still be better than my Pre, so I'm still very excited for next Friday. I was supposed to get a call to set up an appointment for pickup, I hope my store hasn't dropped the ball. :ohdear:

change my name posted:

For the love of god, be less stingy with your period usage. I beg you.

sirbeefalot fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jun 16, 2011

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL
Engadget has had some pretty terrible reviews as of late. I used to love reading their reviews but just about all of their cell phone and tablet reviews have an extremely heavy iOS lean. The EVO 3D has a better CPU, more RAM, bigger battery, upgraded Sense, and yet it gets a worse grade than its predecessor? It's improving on literally every single thing the EVO had to offer and then added 3D for those who care about 3D. The WiMax may not be as fast as Verizon's LTE deployments, but seriously what else is there to bitch about? The kickstand?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Matlock posted:

At least the Evo 3D didn't have 26 mentions of the iPhone in its review.

The podcast blows now. However, the This Is My Next Podcast podcast is just as hilarious as Engadget's was when they were there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

sirbeefalot posted:

Honestly the EVO could outright call me a douchebag in 3D once a day and still be better than my Pre, so I'm still very excited for next Friday. I was supposed to get a call to set up an appointment for pickup, I hope my store hasn't dropped the ball. :ohdear:

My pre is at the point where it barely works any more. It has always had issues with signal(goes from full bars to none and dropping calls while sitting in the same place), It won't do 3g if wifi is turned on and I don't reset it by going into airplane mode, etc...

Unfortunately I can't really replace it till I start a new job next month. I should get a 15% discount from it as well, so I have that going for me. Wonder if I have any other leverage since I'm not under contract(never have been...) and could change providers if I wanted.