Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo

KetTarma posted:

Also, theres absolutely no leeway given for "I forgot all of power school because I was on hold." Few things annoy us more than students that show up as though we'd picked up random people off of the street. It's really hard to teach someone how to operate a reactor whenever they don't know what one is.

How long is the backup where they'll use this as an excuse?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.
The longest I've heard of is 6 months. The average seems to be 2 months. This is apparently long enough for an ET to forget what "fission" even means or an electrician to not remember what "current" is. I'm not asking people to be able to graph power transients flawlessly but for someone to want a checkout on Reactor Protection Analysis and answer "What's bad about a core meltdown" with "It's bad." or an electrician getting checkout on Turbine Generators says "I dont know how they work, they just make electricity".. Well, let's just say that it makes you bitter.

Mr. Doom-Baddy
Sep 15, 2007
Doom and Bad--All at Once

KetTarma posted:

There is a huge backup for prototype because all of them are old as poo poo and they require maintenance shutdowns pretty constantly. One of the ones in SC is getting towed to Norfolk for repairs.

Also, theres absolutely no leeway given for "I forgot all of power school because I was on hold." Few things annoy us more than students that show up as though we'd picked up random people off of the street. It's really hard to teach someone how to operate a reactor whenever they don't know what one is.

It seems like I all I hear in this program is excuses. It has gotten very tiresome to hear shipmates use the "my roommate turned off my alarm" phrase. Do the majority of students, once they get to Prototype, actually have their poo poo together, or should I expect more of the same bullshit among my classmates?

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

KetTarma posted:

The longest I've heard of is 6 months. The average seems to be 2 months. This is apparently long enough for an ET to forget what "fission" even means or an electrician to not remember what "current" is. I'm not asking people to be able to graph power transients flawlessly but for someone to want a checkout on Reactor Protection Analysis and answer "What's bad about a core meltdown" with "It's bad." or an electrician getting checkout on Turbine Generators says "I dont know how they work, they just make electricity".. Well, let's just say that it makes you bitter.

I've been out for a decade, and I remember all of that poo poo. Kids these days. :bahgawd:

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mr. Doom-Baddy posted:

It seems like I all I hear in this program is excuses. It has gotten very tiresome to hear shipmates use the "my roommate turned off my alarm" phrase. Do the majority of students, once they get to Prototype, actually have their poo poo together, or should I expect more of the same bullshit among my classmates?

No, you can expect people that are bad at their job, horrible at life in general and do nothing but make excuses all day throughout every part of your Navy career throughout all ranks. That's what happens when they refuse to remove people from the program because it makes some O-5's fitrep look less than immaculate.

Mr. Doom-Baddy
Sep 15, 2007

belt posted:

No, you can expect people that are bad at their job, horrible at life in general and do nothing but make excuses all day throughout every part of your Navy career throughout all ranks. That's what happens when they refuse to remove people from the program because it makes some O-5's fitrep look less than immaculate.

Well the SLPO's and other personnel at NNPTC (and all through out RTC) keep telling us how we're lucky we're even here because they are cutting Senior Chiefs at their reenlistment point and that legitimately good sailors are getting cut everywhere. But I was told that Nukes are still somewhat undermanned, whereas other rates are getting bamboozled with cuts because they are like 105% manned, etc.

Yeah, I expect poo poo bags across the board, but I just figured most of them would be cut from the nuke pipeline by at least prototype.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Don't say "shipmates"

Sometimes I am amazed that some students breathe without a staff member to tell them to do so. You will find that the military is kind of like surrogate parents to some people. I've written up nukes with a chit saying an E-6 had to observe them shower at least once every 48 hours.

Spiderfailure
Jun 19, 2007

NED THE SPIDER JERKED OFF IN YOUR BATHROOM!
Just got classified as Yeoman while I wait for the nuke tests to come out and take them. I have to get an age waiver since I missed it by a year and take the tests since I had a D once in a high school math class.

edit: I listed my delinquent debt which which was about 8 grand. I was told I didn't need to put the school debt down since it is still deferred. Any comments?

Spiderfailure fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jun 14, 2011

Mr. Doom-Baddy
Sep 15, 2007

KetTarma posted:

Don't say "shipmates"

Sometimes I am amazed that some students breathe without a staff member to tell them to do so. You will find that the military is kind of like surrogate parents to some people. I've written up nukes with a chit saying an E-6 had to observe them shower at least once every 48 hours.

Roger that. Why not though? Because I haven't gone to a ship yet? They force it down our throat here.

And I've already seen and heard of the most disgusting things concerning hygiene and housekeeping while I've been here in my entire life. I don't know how these people survived out in the world...

And my Basic Electricity instructor said that the "dumb rear end nukes are the ones that go and teach at Prototype". Lots of love...

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Here are the only times you will hear "shipmate" in the fleet, especially as a nuke:

"Hey shipmate. Take your hands out of your pockets"
"Hey shipmate. Your uniform is UNSAT."
"Shipmate, what time is muster SUPPOSED to be?"

As far as prototype being where the dumb nukes go: To go to a-school or powerschool, you either have to have a friend as the detailer or look perfect on paper. Even still, some a-school instructors will get sent to prototype upon reporting because we're so short on people since no one wants to come here. We're severely undermanned and quality of life here is worse than the fleet so no one WANTS to come here. You just get volunteered. Anyone that -wants- to come to prototype (or volunteers for SPU) is, in fact, dumb. Ditto any nuke that reenlists past 8 ;)

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
KetTarma has a high chance of reenlisting.

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo

KetTarma posted:

Ditto any nuke that reenlists past 6 ;)

Fixed that for you.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

belt posted:

Fixed that for you.

B-b-but, my STAR car. :qq:

6 and out, here ;)

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

KetTarma posted:

There is a huge backup for prototype because all of them are old as poo poo and they require maintenance shutdowns pretty constantly. One of the ones in SC is getting towed to Norfolk for repairs.

This is why they should make the Mobile Chernobyl a "float-a-type". :v:

Plus, they wouldn't need to pay anyone BAH because they could convert the hangar bay into barracks.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

DarkSol posted:

Plus, they wouldn't need to pay anyone BAH because they could convert the hangar bay into barracks.

Thats like the one cool thing about prototype man :(

Mr. Doom-Baddy
Sep 15, 2007
I was told that the old San Fran is being towed over to be a prototype.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Mr. Doom-Baddy posted:

I was told that the old San Fran is being towed over to be a prototype.

You'll notice, as your time in the nuclear navy continues, that anytime you preface a statement with "I was told," people will start to look at you as though they wonder if you are retarded.

There is a reason for this.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Yeah, in the distant, distant future.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

I was told they were going to decommission my old boat, until Sir Skip Bowman himself said "gently caress no! Overhaul!" :haw:

Manawski
Oct 20, 2003

HOW DO I MADE PUDDING

Kawasaki Nun posted:

You'll notice, as your time in the nuclear navy continues, that anytime you preface a statement with "I was told," people will start to look at you as though they wonder if you are retarded.

We had a civilian instructor going through the program with us that prefaced everything he said with "I was told," so we took advantage of this and started telling him things that were further and further from the truth, and he would always get smacked down in checkouts until we got sat down by the shift eng for telling him that the proper procedure for stopping the shaft was to unbolt the propulsion shaft.

The_Skeeter
Jan 28, 2007
I put the mayo in Patty Mayonnaise
Coming home from swings.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Swids is the worst.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

For some reason, the days before mids were my favorites. I would stay up all night playing video games or checking out Wal-Mart, to get my sleep schedule on track. If I had to do that now, I'd probably hate life.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
mids loving own, get home at like 8am or whatever, drink some liquor, pass out in your completely blacked out room....you basically live in the dark except coming home from work

im such a loving goony piece of poo poo

Yan Bao Qin
Jun 18, 2008
Hey, I have to ship out to NY soon, there any good resources for a guy to get an apartment there?

Mr. Doom-Baddy
Sep 15, 2007

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Well, it was an NCO that was an instructor that sorta knows his poo poo. Otherwise I don't pass on a rumor...

KetTarma posted:

Yeah, in the distant, distant future.

See?

Anyways, I figure it'll take at LEAST 5 years because that is the minimum safe zone on anything possibly getting done when there are plans being made to change something. I think it took 10 years for them to adjust the PFA.

...So I've been told. :haw:

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Try rent.com and go from there. You'll only be there for 6 months so dont stress too much. If you volunteer to stay up there for a junior instructor tour, you're an idiot.

Regarding the San Fran, its conversion to a Moored Training Ship "class" will take years. It isn't going into conversion for years. Do the math, the 626 and 635 aren't going anywhere for at least a decade.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
Im pretty sure they spent an absolute fuckload making it seaworthy again so it'd be surprising to make it an MTS so soon....but this is the navy

Manawski
Oct 20, 2003

HOW DO I MADE PUDDING

Yan Bao Qin posted:

Hey, I have to ship out to NY soon, there any good resources for a guy to get an apartment there?

Have you tried the housing office? You will be surprised at their competency.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Yan Bao Qin posted:

eh, if you happen to spot a property rented by a John Smith who is actually a used cars salesman tell him to get hosed. He's an awful landlord.

MARF was the highlight of my 3.5 year naval career to date. Enjoy your time in new york. Cannot recommend going to Montreal and NYC at any and every possible occasion enough.

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kawasaki Nun posted:

MARF was the highlight of my 3.5 year naval career to date. Enjoy your time in new york. Cannot recommend going to Montreal and NYC at any and every possible occasion enough.

Prototype blew, but Saratoga Springs was the greatest place that I lived while I was in the Navy, so yeah, enjoy it.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Another 12 hour day due to equipment failure. Today is not going to be fun in the critique (not my fault but I'm sure ill get asked the same questions over and over)

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

KetTarma posted:

Another 12 hour day due to equipment failure. Today is not going to be fun in the critique (not my fault but I'm sure ill get asked the same questions over and over)

Why didn't you ask the tough questions? Trend analysis? When was the last time the PMS was performed correctly? When was the last time the equipment was logged out of specification? What was done to correct that?

Why are you breaking things?

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

You sound like you've been through that a time or two.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Some times you just gotta make up logs.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

same as last hour

What's that burning smell?

oddspelling
May 31, 2009

Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment
I'm looking at a few different military scholarships as options for paying for school, and I was wondering if anyone here knows much about the Navy's Nuclear Propulsion Officer Candidate Program beyond the blurb the website has on it:

The USN posted:

Nuclear Propulsion Officer Candidate Program (NUPOC)

If you are interested in being part of one of the top nuclear programs on earth, look into the NUPOC program. It offers up to $168,300 while finishing your degree, providing a regular monthly income ranging from $3,280 to $5,610 for up to 30 months prior to your graduation. That includes a generous military salary, a food allowance, plus a housing allowance that is based upon the location of the school you attend. You’ll also enjoy comprehensive military health-care benefits – with no uniforms, no drilling requirements and no service obligation until you graduate.

From there, you’ll begin the process of being commissioned as a Navy Nuclear Officer and take on unrivaled training and professional responsibilities. Through this highly competitive program, there are opportunities in any of four career focus areas. Learn more about those areas, the specific qualification requirements and the specific offers related to each:

Submarine Officer (Nuclear Submarines)
Surface Warfare Officer (Nuclear Aircraft Carriers)
Naval Reactors Engineer
Naval Nuclear Power School Instructor

Thanks.

Edit: I'm a mech engineering major, if that makes any difference.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

oddspelling posted:

I'm looking at a few different military scholarships as options for paying for school, and I was wondering if anyone here knows much about the Navy's Nuclear Propulsion Officer Candidate Program beyond the blurb the website has on it:

Thanks.

Edit: I'm a mech engineering major, if that makes any difference.

NUPOC is where you'll get paid starting as an E5 for your last couple of years at school. You can get promoted based upon various things. After you graduate, you go to OCS. Upon OCS graduation, you either go to a ship to get SWO qualified and then go to nuke school or if you end up subs, NR, or at NNPS you'll go straight to nuke school and then to work after.

All in all it's a really sweet deal aside from the fact that you'll be a nuke officer and basically hate the next 5-7 years of your life until you resign.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Is going nuke really all that terrible if you already have zero social life and work 10+ hours a day in your civilian job in a cubicle, anyway (assuming you can still hack it through the schooling/aren't too stubborn to learn new things, etc.)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manawski
Oct 20, 2003

HOW DO I MADE PUDDING

Henry Meowlins posted:

NUPOC is where you'll get paid starting as an E5 for your last couple of years at school. You can get promoted based upon various things. After you graduate, you go to OCS. Upon OCS graduation, you either go to a ship to get SWO qualified and then go to nuke school or if you end up subs, NR, or at NNPS you'll go straight to nuke school and then to work after.

All in all it's a really sweet deal aside from the fact that you'll be a nuke officer and basically hate the next 5-7 years of your life until you resign.

E-6 for NUPOC, but yeah, that's the gist of it. You get a pay raise if you convince another person to make the same mistake as you and get picked up for nuke. Staying in the program is contingent upon keeping your grades up (over 3.3 I think), and doing PT tests.

Mind you, you can also do BDCP programs for other designators too, and with an engineering degree, you qualify for CEC (Seabees). Might be worth a look as well.

quote:

Is going nuke really all that terrible if you already have zero social life and work 10+ hours a day in your civilian job in a cubicle, anyway (assuming you can still hack it through the schooling/aren't too stubborn to learn new things, etc.)?

Yes.

• Locked thread