Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Hey, guys, I'm running a TV IV awards thing and I've got a reserved for youth-oriented programming. If you could drop by and help me fill them in, that would be swell. This thread has a category for "Best Youth-Oriented Programming" (that I'm hoping to split between comedy and action/adventure if possible), and this one has categories for voice performance.

I hope this plug isn't too unwelcome, I just thought you guys could help. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

I hate Johnny Test so much. Every single thing about it is bad. Zero redeeming qualities at all. And it's on ALL THE TIME. It seems like every time I leave CN on for longer than an hour Johnny Test is loving on.
And there are going to be new episodes of it in a couple of weeks too :sigh:

Digital Scumbag
Feb 11, 2010
So I've seen probably 5 of the 8? episdes of the new Looney Tunes that debuted recently.

What???

It's so weird to see the voice of the Witch, who is the mom of the big red monster, who ALSO has a lovely voice. Yosemite Sam is their freeloading redneck neighbor?! There are some genuine laughs there; I watched the one where Daffy and Bugs go to jail for littering at the Grand Canyon, escape, and Bugs just wants to go back to jail because he had so much fun and was popular. :3:
The characterizations are pretty terrible, though... again, Yosemite Sam as the annoying neighbor. He should be shooting guns and being rootin-tootin. :what: All the songs are goddamn terrible. The cg segments should be cut. Daffy is really good, though. I liked in the jail episode where he's trying to pin it on Porky, asks him a question on the stand, and the answer is the most hilarious "Bu-bub-bupp-aaaaah-uh-bupbup" stuttering.

Oh yeah, Lola was pretty drat funny in her role.
Bugs: "Nice hair."
Lola: "Thanks! It's my ears." was meta as hell

Lola: I'm allergic to butter, does this have butter in it?
Lola: I'm not allergic to butter, it's pollen.
Lola: That's not true, I love pollen. Does this soup have pollen in it?
Lola: Mmm, you can really taste the pollen.

Digital Scumbag fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jun 3, 2011

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Digital Scumbag posted:

All the songs are goddamn terrible.

This, this, this. A thousand times this!

That aside though I'm actually kind of enjoying it for what it is. I think it was the "cruising" joke that won me over.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
Heads up. Shout Factory just released Transformers: Beast Wars the Complete Series on DVD. At the much more reasonable price of $49.99 instead of the $30 per season that it had been previously released.

Also, ReBoot the complete series gets released in two weeks.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Neo Helbeast posted:

Heads up. Shout Factory just released Transformers: Beast Wars the Complete Series on DVD. At the much more reasonable price of $49.99 instead of the $30 per season that it had been previously released.

I saw a commercial for that, and I never thought it was a particularly good looking show, but man does that show look a lot worse than I remember.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

raditts posted:

I saw a commercial for that, and I never thought it was a particularly good looking show, but man does that show look a lot worse than I remember.

It has definitely not aged gracefully.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
Early CG shows are best viewed though a thick, rosy, nostalgic fog. I loved coming home from school and watching Re-Boot on Toonami. I remember how excited I was when I first saw grown up Enzo and when Bob came back or how clever I thought I was when I recognized the Evil Dead and Road Warrior parodies. But honestly going back and re-watching the shows now would probably not be nearly as much fun.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Early CG shows are best viewed though a thick, rosy, nostalgic fog. I loved coming home from school and watching Re-Boot on Toonami. I remember how excited I was when I first saw grown up Enzo and when Bob came back or how clever I thought I was when I recognized the Evil Dead and Road Warrior parodies. But honestly going back and re-watching the shows now would probably not be nearly as much fun.

ReBoot has held up quite well as there was a boxy esthetic that made it work. Beast Wars has not. I recommend a buy if only you're a hardcore transformer fan but, then you probably got the first wave releases if you were.

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

I've just insulted the macaroni and cheese recipe of a whale! What part of that is not evil?
The voice cast for the new Ninja Turtles series has been announced: Jason Biggs as Leonardo, Sean Astin as Raphael, Greg Cipes as Michelangelo, and Rob Paulsen (the original Raphael) as Donatello.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008
That's kind of odd. But I think it looks like a good cast.

I had completely forgot they were making a new series. And now know apparently Donatello and Michelangelo are getting new weapons.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Why are there new episodes of Johnny Test

WHY ARE THERE NEW EPISODES OF JOHNNY TEST

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Sockser posted:

Uwe Boll changed his name and found a new loophole.
Allthough there was a write-up somewhere where I think someone who worked on the show essentialy said the entire process for making an episode was :effort: and how they re-use exisiting gags and short-cuts just to get it done. Not from just a technical standpoint either, the writing was apparently made just to fill the pages. I mean flash you can re-use alot of things most of the time, and ther'es nothing wrong with that. But the show is just so stagnant and boring that it really sticks out.

Only a few more weeks until the new Thundercats show I think. The toys have allready started showing up, my only negative critique is that the figures and vehicles are not to scale with Masters of The Universe Classics or the DC Classic figures.

I was hoping that they would have been the same size for kitbashing oppertunities.

Vaerai Archon fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jun 15, 2011

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Sockser posted:

Isn't the show heavily subsidized by the Canadian government as part of their whole promoting Canadian shows deal?

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

muscles like this? posted:

Isn't the show heavily subsidized by the Canadian government as part of their whole promoting Canadian shows deal?

You're exactly correct.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!

mobo85 posted:

The voice cast for the new Ninja Turtles series has been announced: Jason Biggs as Leonardo, Sean Astin as Raphael, Greg Cipes as Michelangelo, and Rob Paulsen (the original Raphael) as Donatello.

Considering how distinctive Paulsen's voice is, this could be an absolute mindfuck

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Vaerai Archon posted:

Allthough there was a write-up somewhere where I think someone who worked on the show essentialy said the entire process for making an episode was :effort: and how they re-use exisiting gags and short-cuts just to get it done. Not from just a technical standpoint either, the writing was apparently made just to fill the pages. I mean flash you can re-use alot of things most of the time, and ther'es nothing wrong with that. But the show is just so stagnant and boring that it really sticks out.

If you can find and post this I will forever be your friend. :3:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

mobo85 posted:

This series is going to have to be really good as to outdo that last one (if we ignore all that fast forward crap, and we should). On the plus side it's unlikely that's it going to be worse than the original cartoon.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Nostalgia aside, wasn't the original Ninja Turtles cartoon pretty unfaithful to the original source material?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Y-Hat posted:

Nostalgia aside, wasn't the original Ninja Turtles cartoon pretty unfaithful to the original source material?

Very much so actually. Even as a child (I was 8 when the cartoon first started airing) I didn't much care for the cartoon. I loved the first movie and the comics but the series was never my thing. I thought it was too goofy. The 2003 series was much better in pretty much every respect until they did the fast forward stuff.

When the 2003 series started I went back and watched some of the original just for the the hell of it and it was even worse than I'd remembered. That being said the first season of the 87 series, all 5 episodes of it, were much better than what followed. But they still weren't anywhere close to the comics.

The first season of the 2003 series is pretty much completely taken from the comics. Though obviously some things were changed such as the violence had to be toned down. And of course Shredder, who actually died in the very first issue of the comics, was redone completely.

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
So apparently there's rumblings that The Hub may be decommisioned. Hasbro and Discovery Networks are apparently having trouble getting the network established. It's apparently lost viewership ever since most of their original shows had their season finalies.

It's no where near critical mass yet from what I udnerstand, but if The Hub does go under it could tie up the rights of the original programming in a Harmony Gold-esque situation. Since Discovery does have the rights to things as well.

But it would be a bigger and crippling clusterfuck for Hasbro, especialy since their big three out of four properties are directly tied there(the fourth one is Star Wars but that's on Cartoon Network).

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/transformers-prime-39/and-now-for-some-bad-news---the-hub-in-trouble-172477/

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

It's a long way from closing shop or anything, and the costs for the next season of stuff are already probably mostly sunk. I know ponies at least is already animating season 2.

But honestly with what most of their programming is (old rear end 80s poo poo) I don't see how they possibly thought the network would run with CN or Nickelodeon in only 8 months.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Discovery Kids went on for years without people giving a poo poo. Is The Hub in that much danger?

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

what is the consensus on "Dan VS.".

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

IRQ posted:

It's a long way from closing shop or anything, and the costs for the next season of stuff are already probably mostly sunk. I know ponies at least is already animating season 2.

But honestly with what most of their programming is (old rear end 80s poo poo) I don't see how they possibly thought the network would run with CN or Nickelodeon in only 8 months.

Nickelodeon GAS somehow lasted for 10 years airing game shows from before its demographic was born, I guess the Hub figured it would be a good idea to air shows from before its demographic's parents were born.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Vaerai Archon posted:

So apparently there's rumblings that The Hub may be decommisioned. Hasbro and Discovery Networks are apparently having trouble getting the network established. It's apparently lost viewership ever since most of their original shows had their season finalies.

It's no where near critical mass yet from what I udnerstand, but if The Hub does go under it could tie up the rights of the original programming in a Harmony Gold-esque situation. Since Discovery does have the rights to things as well.

But it would be a bigger and crippling clusterfuck for Hasbro, especialy since their big three out of four properties are directly tied there(the fourth one is Star Wars but that's on Cartoon Network).

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/transformers-prime-39/and-now-for-some-bad-news---the-hub-in-trouble-172477/

That's unfortunate. Though the only show on the network I care about is GI Joe Renegades. Which if you can get past the odd stylistic and character design decisions is a really solidly written show.

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

raditts posted:

Nickelodeon GAS somehow lasted for 10 years airing game shows from before its demographic was born, I guess the Hub figured it would be a good idea to air shows from before its demographic's parents were born.

I remember when Cartoon Network started up they showed informertials for all the late night programming and into early morning.

But essnetialy most of the Hub's programming is Nick-At-Nite. But I'm going to wager that's going to change in the future. It would be nice for more original programming, but that might be more based in how good the economy is.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Vaerai Archon posted:

I remember when Cartoon Network started up they showed informertials for all the late night programming and into early morning.

I watched the hell out of Cartoon Network's lovely Hanna-Barbera back-catalog programming when they first started, and I don't remember anything like this. In fact I remember them showing the more crazy out-there poo poo really late at night.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

raditts posted:

I watched the hell out of Cartoon Network's lovely Hanna-Barbera back-catalog programming when they first started, and I don't remember anything like this. In fact I remember them showing the more crazy out-there poo poo really late at night.

Then you weren't there from the start it seems, because I remember that too. :colbert:

On a side note, they're apparently planning on making a live action Ben Ten movie. Like for theaters and stuff.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Fishylungs posted:

Then you weren't there from the start it seems, because I remember that too. :colbert:

On a side note, they're apparently planning on making a live action Ben Ten movie. Like for theaters and stuff.

Didn't they already do that though? And nobody liked it?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Neo Helbeast posted:

Yes, and not that I'm aware of.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Fishylungs posted:

This is almost certainly doomed to fail based solely on the fact that it's success is completely dependent on a pre-teen lead actor.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

readingatwork posted:

This is almost certainly doomed to fail based solely on the fact that it's success is completely dependent on a pre-teen lead actor.

On this note y people should go see Super 8. It has the best child actors I've seen in awhile.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

Neo Helbeast posted:

It was a TV movie, so this'll be different in it won't have the same budget as say, Destroy Build Destroy.

Though yea, kid actors can be a bit of a trick. Either you get rather good kids (GoT, apparently Super 8) or you get spy bad kids.

Fun facts though, the first live action movie had a budget of $18 million, while the second had a budget of $40 million and a limited release in Australia.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Anyone watch The Looney Tunes Show this week? It was completely different from the rest of the series in that they actually tried to emulate the tone of the old shorts. The whole thing was just brief scenes of Daffy trying to one up Bugs with slapstick repercussions. The characterizations were also much more traditional. Anyone who hasn't stuck with the show should at least give this one a shot.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
So, AMAZINGLY, Cartoon Network just ran a small bumper about the history of the Whip-Cracking sound effect's use in Johnny Test. I swear they're just trolling us now.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
I bet you get two or three full half hour Johnny Test cartoons for the price of one 15 minute Adventure Time. If Canada is just going to give away their lovely cartoons of course CN is going to take them.

An episode of Johnny Test came on the other day and I think it actually managed to be animated worse than usual. It was like Newgrounds flash cartoon bad. The show just gets worse and worse and cheaper and cheaper. Eventually all it's going to be is stick figures on line paper screaming over whipcracks and electric guitar riffs.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Clearly, the only solution is to annex Canada. Then Adventure Time and Regular Show will fall under CanCon laws.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
So hello Nostalgia! All of the seasons of power rangers, big bad beetleborgs and VR Troopers have been added to the Netflix Instant Queue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Neo Helbeast posted:

So hello Nostalgia! All of the seasons of power rangers, big bad beetleborgs and VR Troopers have been added to the Netflix Instant Queue.

The only thing worth watching regarding VR Troopers was that hilarious redubbing the cast did. Wasn't that originally posted here on SA by someone that was either in the show or knew someone in it?

Here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8_HrVhnqNg