Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Whoops, I didn't realize there was a new record thread and posted in the old thread. I also didn't apparently see the post a few posts up from mine stating that this is the new thread for records :downs: The old thread really should be closed.

Anyway, a repost of my own from the other thread:

You Are A Elf posted:

Today was a good day at the thrift store. I walked out with 22 albums, but wait'll you hear what I paid for them. None of it is really anything rare or collectable, but I don't care about any of that; I like the music that's on 'em. It encompasses dad-rock, prog-rock, some funk & soul, a couple of good ol' country albums, and a gaggle of some other good ones. The list:

Led Zeppelin - II
Led Zeppelin - III
Led Zeppelin - Houses of the Holy
Led Zeppelin - In Through the Out Door
Led Zeppelin - Presence
Yes - Yes
Yes - The Yes Album
Yes - Fragile
The Who - Meaty Beaty Big and Bouncy
The Who - Quadrophenia (with a thick picture and lyric book included)
Nilsson - The Point!
The Kinks - Preservation Act 1
Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Brain Salad Surgery
Johnny Cash - Johnny Cash At San Quentin
Marty Robbins - Gunfighter Ballads and Trail Songs
Phantom of the Paradise - OST
Tom Waits - Foreign Affairs
Elvis Costello - Armed Forces (with special promo 3 song EP of live stuff)
David Bowie - Pinups
Sly & the Family Stone - Stand!
Sly & the Family Stone - There's a Riot Goin' On
Atlantic Records - Golden Soul Compilation (special aid relief album)

Someone must have just dumped their old collection at the same time for me to find. Everything is original pressings with any special stuff that's usually missing included (such as the Costello EP and the Who lyric/picture book). Oh yeah, the price for everything:

$2.20

That's right, this thrift store sells records for 10¢ a piece, and they usually have the usual Mantovanis and Belafontes (even more so than usual because it's in a retirement community), but not on this day :zoid:

I've already got a few records to clean, and now I've got a whole bunch more. Oh well. I've got the time and the newfound happiness from spending so little on so much that I don't mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:
Woah, $2.20 is dirt cheap. Thats 20 cents more than what the Goodwills around here charge for one record. Well theres the Goodwill bins which charge by the pound but if you think you're going to find anything good there you're sorely mistaken.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

I fairly recently inherited a bunch of records and a turntable from my Grandma. I don't know anything at all about this stuff, but I like my little collection so far. I was happy when I found some Herb Alpert + Tijuana Brass. I doubt they're worth a cent but they're in great condition and a lot of fun to listen to.

Here is the turntable I got. It looks brand new. (really huge picture)

And my Herb Alperts

e:

Roosevelt fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jun 16, 2011

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

^ ^ ^
There's a Herb Alpert joke here somewhere, but nice free stuff, nonetheless.

The Doo Do Chasers posted:

Woah, $2.20 is dirt cheap. Thats 20 cents more than what the Goodwills around here charge for one record. Well theres the Goodwill bins which charge by the pound but if you think you're going to find anything good there you're sorely mistaken.

Hell yeah that's cheap. I'm floored I managed to get what I got because most of that dad-rock stuff is thought of as RARE AND WORTH MONEY BECAUSE IT'S SO RARE when most of it is common mass-produced stuff, but that doesn't stop people from trying to get the most money out of their copy of Double Fantasy (JOHN LENNON OF THE BEATLES; THEREFORE IT'S ULTRA-RARE).

That's crazy that your Goodwills charge $2 per album, though, because all the ones here charge 99¢, although I used to get them for 49¢ if I was a suave and debonaire customer (and nice to the cashier). It seems like Goodwill has been creeping up in price for everything else, though, and cashiers no longer give their own discounts on stuff, which sucks. Also, the Goodwill by my house has had the same records on display for at least two months now. I'm sick of looking at the same copy of the Xanadu soundtrack and that one Seals & Crofts album at the front of each row.

You Are A Werewolf fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jun 16, 2011

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

Jerry Cotton posted:

God drat those are expensive frames. Urban Outfitters seems to have a similar product for €16.

They are packs of 3.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I also got this amazing thing:

Haven't listened to it yet though.

Wilbur Swain
Sep 13, 2007

These are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Roosevelt posted:

That's a long way to go for a whipped cream joke. Poor kitty :(

To contribute: I was recently given a Dogfish Head Brewery promo 12-inch which has this song on one side:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MT0VvPZSMIw

It's silly.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Roosevelt posted:

I also got this amazing thing:

Haven't listened to it yet though.

Oh man. That's awesome. Does Deniro sing on this? Did he really play the saxophone or was that just for the cover? It raises so many questions. I want it.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Oh poo poo I didn't realize we had a new thread (Stopped reading the old one for who knows what reason).

I haven't done any record hunting in the last few months, mostly because my attention has been focused elsewhere. I need to get back into it though.

Here's a few of my favorites from my collection for the new thread:

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

CPL593H posted:

Oh man. That's awesome. Does Deniro sing on this? Did he really play the saxophone or was that just for the cover? It raises so many questions. I want it.

In the bottom left you can barely make out that someone else is actually playing sax. I'll put it on and see if I can tell if it's him singing though.

edit: That Carl Sagan record looks neat. What is it? Is it just him talking about space or something?

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Roosevelt posted:

In the bottom left you can barely make out that someone else is actually playing sax. I'll put it on and see if I can tell if it's him singing though.

edit: That Carl Sagan record looks neat. What is it? Is it just him talking about space or something?

It's this.

I normally hate gimmick releases but this one was worth the $7.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

^^^Nice I love that guy's stuff!

Incidentally, from the B52's Gumbo album on your last post

I also got a bunch of this lady's records. I'll post them sometime later.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

HKR posted:

stuff

You seem like a guy who would know this. What's a good place to start with the B-52s? Is it best to just go in order?

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

You Are A Elf posted:

That's crazy that your Goodwills charge $2 per album, though, because all the ones here charge 99¢, although I used to get them for 49¢ if I was a suave and debonaire customer (and nice to the cashier). It seems like Goodwill has been creeping up in price for everything else, though, and cashiers no longer give their own discounts on stuff, which sucks. Also, the Goodwill by my house has had the same records on display for at least two months now. I'm sick of looking at the same copy of the Xanadu soundtrack and that one Seals & Crofts album at the front of each row.

77 cents at Goodwill here :colbert:. Unfortunately, it's usually a very small selection and it's on the other side of town. Got Tommy (1975 reissue) there last time, though.

On rare occasion one thrift store has the 10 cents deal, but it's 50 cents at all other times. You have to dig through piles of stuff, but occasionally there's something decent. Like a 1959 single of Teenager in Love and a couple of Elvis singles.

The ReStore is $1 per album. I have never found anything interesting enough there, though I did once find a $5 Super Nintendo.

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

CPL593H posted:

You seem like a guy who would know this. What's a good place to start with the B-52s? Is it best to just go in order?
Just stay pre-90s and you're pretty good I think. Their self titled and Wild Planet get most of the attention but Whammy, Cosmic thing and the various EPs I have are still very worthy

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

RC and Moon Pie posted:

77 cents at Goodwill here :colbert:. Unfortunately, it's usually a very small selection and it's on the other side of town. Got Tommy (1975 reissue) there last time, though.

It is a 1975 reissue of the 1969 Who album or the soundtrack from the movie? If it's the latter you paid 77 cents too much.

Tiny Faye
Feb 17, 2005

Are you ready for an ORGAN SOLO?!

CPL593H posted:

It is a 1975 reissue of the 1969 Who album or the soundtrack from the movie? If it's the latter you paid 77 cents too much.

Actually some of us enjoy the Tina Turner version of Acid Queen and the Elton John Version of Pinball Wizard, thank you very much...

And this is coming from a mega-Who fan...anything with the tone deaf Ann-Margret and Oliver Reed ls a waste of wax....

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Tiny Faye posted:

Actually some of us enjoy the Tina Turner version of Acid Queen and the Elton John Version of Pinball Wizard, thank you very much...

I will admit I kind of like these.

But then there's also the version of Amazing Journey/Sparks with lovely disco sounding instrumentals and the genuinely disturbing Keith Moon rendition of Fiddle About.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

CPL593H posted:

My very first album I ever owned (on cd) was Cosmic Thing. It holds a very special place in my heart.

That being said, their first album is one of the best albums ever made. Hell, Rock Lobster is cited as one of the things that inspired Lennon to come out of retirement.

It sounds amazing on vinyl and should be fairly easy to get.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Oh sweet new John Maus album on mottled vinyl, I don't care that you're limited to a hundred copies, I will play you until there's nothing left to spin.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Tiny Faye posted:

I used to get into intense arguments that ruined friendships with assholes who actually thought that the Elton John version of Pinball Wizard couldn't be better than the Who's. Despite the fact that it rocked at least 10x harder and had much more power and joy in it.

Frankly, I'm better off without those guys.

Ghumbs
Jan 1, 2006

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Oh sweet new John Maus album on mottled vinyl, I don't care that you're limited to a hundred copies, I will play you until there's nothing left to spin.

Nice! Maybe it's just the picture, but that looks much more light blue than seafoam green.

E: I just woke up and had Hey Moon in my head from the start.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.

Rooney McNibnug posted:

Oh hey, a vinyl thread. I've been collecting mostly punk and hardcore records for some time now. Here's a few of my more listened to purchases from the past few years:
Whats up Chicago punk/oi collector.

Just took a trip to new orleans and tried to stay away from record stores but while biking past russell's rare records on magazine street I had to pop in, pretty big store with a few rooms of jazz, blues, rock, western, etc.

Iron City Houserockers - Get Out Alive
Continentals - Fizzy Pop
Waylon Jennings - Just To Satisfy You
Waylon Jennings - Love of the Common People
Slaughter - Bite Back
PJ and the Terrorists - first ep
Buddy Holly - The great Buddy Holly
Bill Haley and the Comets - Rockin
Wayne Fontana and the Mindbenders - Game of Love
Carl Perkins - Sun Story vol 3
Procol Harum - Whiter Shade of Pale
Herman's Hermits - Blaze
Cream - Goodbye
Cream - Live Cream
Supertramp - Indelibly Stamped
Johnny Cash - Everybody Loves a Nut
Alexis Korner - Bootleg Him!

Cream records were those lovely taiwanese bootlegs, just wanted em for kicks

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Not an Anthem posted:

Just took a trip to new orleans and tried to stay away from record stores but while biking past russell's rare records on magazine street I had to pop in, pretty big store with a few rooms of jazz, blues, rock, western, etc.

Continentals - Fizzy Pop
Slaughter - Bite Back
Herman's Hermits - Blaze
Cream - Goodbye
Cream - Live Cream

Did she give you a good price on that stuff? I didn't recommend it to you because Denise who runs it tends to overprice on pretty mainstream stuff but maybe she's finally figured it out. I still find really nice stuff if I keep digging, but I really do have to keep digging. They've got mountains of backstock, though a lot of people that volunteered there have cherrypicked for themselves

Jim Russel's is pretty legendary though. According to Denise they were the largest record distributor in the southeast, and Jim Russel himself was a pioneer in rock & roll radio. I sat in on a lecture with him at the Ponderosa Stomp and it was one of the most wonderfully insane things I'd ever heard.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Ghumbs posted:

Nice! Maybe it's just the picture, but that looks much more light blue than seafoam green.

E: I just woke up and had Hey Moon in my head from the start.

Yeah, I contacted them about it. It is mottled but darkish blue. I too thought it would be green, but nowhere on the site does it state so; the mottled one is in fact blue.
They said the other blue vinyl version was really light blue, so I did get the right one.

It sounds superb, btw.

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jun 16, 2011

Ghumbs
Jan 1, 2006

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Yeah, I contacted them about it. It is mottled but darkish blue. I too thought it would be green, but nowhere on the site does it state so; the mottled one is in fact blue.
They said the other blue vinyl version was really light blue, so I did get the right one.

It sounds superb, btw.

Well, the color looks awesome for what it's worth. Can't wait to get mine.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Ghumbs posted:

Well, the color looks awesome for what it's worth. Can't wait to get mine.

I think I'll get the hand-numbered American release as well.

Seriously, I love this album.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

CPL593H posted:

Reissue, though I'd probably buy the soundtrack as well just so I could say I have it.

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."

Not an Anthem posted:

Continentals - Fizzy Pop
Slaughter - Bite Back
Herman's Hermits - Blaze
Cream - Goodbye
Cream - Live Cream

So if you haven't been to a little place called Bucket 'O Blood in Logan Square yet, I urge you to stop by. It's pretty much my personal paradise: Punk vinyl, and a huge selection of books from the horror, sci-fi, and classic-lit genres. It's right off of the California Blue Line stop, you can't miss it.

The stuff there is decently priced, and its a lot more lenient than some of the chain stores. Plus, the owner (Marc) is the nicest dude. I talked to him for hours about classic horror films and local punk bands.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.

Rooney McNibnug posted:

So if you haven't been to a little place called Bucket 'O Blood in Logan Square yet, I urge you to stop by.

Yeah, marc's a cool guy, runs johann's face records and plays in some current bands (and old ones). Lots of books there too. He has great stories about 80's punk in chicago.

Farts Domino posted:

Did she give you a good price on that stuff? I didn't recommend it to you because Denise who runs it tends to overprice on pretty mainstream stuff but maybe she's finally figured it out. I still find really nice stuff if I keep digging, but I really do have to keep digging. They've got mountains of backstock, though a lot of people that volunteered there have cherrypicked for themselves

Jim Russel's is pretty legendary though. According to Denise they were the largest record distributor in the southeast, and Jim Russel himself was a pioneer in rock & roll radio. I sat in on a lecture with him at the Ponderosa Stomp and it was one of the most wonderfully insane things I'd ever heard.
Haha, well, I don't know who ran it. Confusing. When I went in some hipster sorta guy was trying to talk to me about old punk and some 70s RNR, then he left, and a woman was left running it who I assume is denise but she was absolutely hilarious. Tried to talk to me about xbox live the whole time and video games which I knew little to nothing about, but played nice to try to garnish any sympathy discount when it came time to check out (I hate places that don't price stuff).

Time comes and she INSTANTLY knows every single record I had plus about 15 others I had in the stack and told me fair prices. It was amazingly inconsistent though. 3$ for some, 10$ for a few that didn't make sense, then I haggled? I wouldn't recommend going back.

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Not an Anthem posted:

Haha, well, I don't know who ran it. Confusing. When I went in some hipster sorta guy was trying to talk to me about old punk and some 70s RNR, then he left, and a woman was left running it who I assume is denise but she was absolutely hilarious. Tried to talk to me about xbox live the whole time and video games which I knew little to nothing about, but played nice to try to garnish any sympathy discount when it came time to check out (I hate places that don't price stuff).

Time comes and she INSTANTLY knows every single record I had plus about 15 others I had in the stack and told me fair prices. It was amazingly inconsistent though. 3$ for some, 10$ for a few that didn't make sense, then I haggled? I wouldn't recommend going back.
Hahahahaha YES I know who the hipster guy is and the lady is DEFINITELY Denise. I love her dearly and every part of that story is completely on target. She's totally wild on her pricing, full of drama, and has an unexpectedly deep knowledge of her merchandise.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I've only ever encountered two kinds of record store guys. They are:

1)Old dude who knows waaaay too much about 60s garage/psych

2)Hipster guy

I have never seen a record store lady.

SupahDren
Jul 19, 2002
My girlfriend, Ana, loves me.
Grimey Drawer
Hey sorry, rear end in a top hat question: I'm getting into vinyl more and more for various reasons, maybe I'm just a douchebag, who knows...anyway, I would like some advice on getting a serious turntable. My current solution is great, but maybe it's time to do this for real. I'm currently deciding between the Technics 1200 line and a Pro-Ject Debut III. Within the former, there seem to be about 200 options over the last 30 years. Which 1200 do you guys recommend, if you don't mind sharing? Also, how would you compare these vs the pro-ject, or would you recommend something else entirely? I know this is vaguely answered in the first post, but if we can't be neurotic and stuff why are we in the vinyl thread?!! Thanks.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

SupahDren posted:

Hey sorry, rear end in a top hat question: I'm getting into vinyl more and more for various reasons, maybe I'm just a douchebag, who knows...anyway, I would like some advice on getting a serious turntable. My current solution is great, but maybe it's time to do this for real. I'm currently deciding between the Technics 1200 line and a Pro-Ject Debut III. Within the former, there seem to be about 200 options over the last 30 years. Which 1200 do you guys recommend, if you don't mind sharing? Also, how would you compare these vs the pro-ject, or would you recommend something else entirely? I know this is vaguely answered in the first post, but if we can't be neurotic and stuff why are we in the vinyl thread?!! Thanks.

What's your budget? 1200s range a lot in price and you also need to factor in things like a cart (Any cart coming on a 1200 is most likely a dj cart that will be horrid for listening and the debut III's stock cart is nothing short of horrid) and a pre-amp.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

SupahDren posted:

I think the answer to this question is going to depend a lot on the personal preferences of whoever answers it. Honeslty they're both good solid choices. And due to the wide popularity of each of those turntables there's a good chance you can pick up a used one for way cheaper (more so with the 1200, though).

I will second what HKR said in that you're going to want to ditch the stock cart in either case. Which is yet another thing you'll have to consider. And once again everyone will have their own preference. Right now I have an Audio Technica AT440MLa cart and I really like it. Although, the one drawback is that the replacement stylus costs almost as much as the cart itself. So it may not be cost effective.

Tiny Faye
Feb 17, 2005

Are you ready for an ORGAN SOLO?!

CPL593H posted:

I have never seen a record store lady.

You don't know me, do you?

:ssh:

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.

Roosevelt posted:

I also got a bunch of this lady's records.

Yma's music seems rare, but it's the Nickelback of exotica.

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009
Just got in my 12 inch of The Rapure's new single, How Deep is Your Love. It's a one sided single, so the b-side is just smooth, which is actually really strange. (the only other one sided record I have is a 12 inch of Portishead's Machine Gun, and the b-side has an etching on that one.)

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Tiny Faye posted:

You don't know me, do you?

:ssh:

I can't check you off the list until I've actually seen you behind the counter in a record store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SupahDren
Jul 19, 2002
My girlfriend, Ana, loves me.
Grimey Drawer

HKR posted:

What's your budget? 1200s range a lot in price and you also need to factor in things like a cart (Any cart coming on a 1200 is most likely a dj cart that will be horrid for listening and the debut III's stock cart is nothing short of horrid) and a pre-amp.

Thanks for replying (and the guy below you!). Let's say my budget is <$400 for the turntable. I'll work out the other things later, but I definitely appreciate cartridge recommendations. $50-100 would be nice for the cartridge. Pre-amp I haven't even considered yet, but I'm open to suggestions. Within that <400 price range, what sort of 1200 models are good? I tried to research, but some people say "they're all great" and other people seem to have extremely detailed and strong opinions about which ones are awesome and which ones are bad. Does anybody have a reasonable review/comparison/opinion/anything? Thanks.

Since this is primarily a vinyl thread, let me say that I've recently been collecting versions of Sam Cooke's "Cupid" song. I love Amy Winehouse's version, and I just got it on her ska 45 on pink vinyl. I also have a version by The Slackers, which rules...from their "Lost and Found" record, which is mad chill early wave ska if you're into that. Cupidddd, draw back your bowwww.....

Thanks for the help.