Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

evensevenone posted:

it's pretty small, especially for a widescreen. I guess you could get like 6 of them and make your desk look like a trading desk from 1999 a serious EvE-business setup if you wanted to be awesome.
More to the point for people this thread.

e; it should have ok visual quality. An MSRP of $130 for an 18.5" screen isn't amazingly cheap, but nor is it expensive. It'll probably be your average TN screen, nothing more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.
VGA only.

Also, it probably uses an HDTV-intended panel so it's going to be 1366x768

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

evensevenone posted:

VGA only.

Also, it probably uses an HDTV-intended panel so it's going to be 1366x768
Correct on both counts.

singe
Aug 24, 2008

I want to ride my bicycle.
So, Dell is having a deal for the 2311H for 249 with free shipping. There's also a 400+75 gift card deal going on which would net me a free 75 bucks. I was wondering if someone would be willing to split the cost with me for a monitor saving you $37.5 (211.5 + tax). I already spoke with dell and they said I could add another address after submitting an order prior to it shipping out. (clarification, sending each monitor to different locations for no added cost)

Would anyone be willing to take part in this (PM me I guess or just reply)? I think I have decent SA-Mart credentials. Otherwise on the flipside if you're interested in the transaction and have decent reputation I could Paypal you instead.

I guess for people who want to buy the more expensive things (especially since the 24 is having a sale in Canada), you could just buy the gift card for a single monitor purchase.

Deal's over =(

singe fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Jun 16, 2011

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

singe posted:

So, Dell is having a deal for the 2311H for 249 with free shipping. There's also a 400+75 gift card deal going on which would net me a free 75 bucks. I was wondering if someone would be willing to split the cost with me for a monitor saving you $37.5 (211.5 + tax). I already spoke with dell and they said I could add another address after submitting an order prior to it shipping out. (clarification, sending each monitor to different locations for no added cost)

Would anyone be willing to take part in this (PM me I guess or just reply)? I think I have decent SA-Mart credentials. Otherwise on the flipside if you're interested in the transaction and have decent reputation I could Paypal you instead.

I guess for people who want to buy the more expensive things (especially since the 24 is having a sale in Canada), you could just buy the gift card for a single monitor purchase.

I might be interested. I just posted in this thread http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3193208
I'm hoping I will be able to receive some sort of discount for the U2311H.
Do you know how long the U2311H will be on sale for?

singe
Aug 24, 2008

I want to ride my bicycle.
Well I know the gift card thing ends on the 21st, last time they had the 2311H sale it lasted for like 3 days? This sale started yesterday so I think it may end sometime Friday. I wouldn't be comfortable doing it on Friday since I don't want to be stuck with a 75 promotional gift card that expires in 90 days if the price shoots back up.

Mitsune
Jun 24, 2005
This is the cheapest I've ever seen the U2410 on Dell's website. You've all been warned! :aaa:

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Dumping stock before the newer, inferior model shows up, I bet. I don't need a second one, I don't need a second one, I don't need a second one...

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
It's £360 on the Dell site in the UK, but still...

Oh wait, that excludes VAT and shipping. Haha, no.
$430 = £266. Even if you add VAT you only manage to come to £320.
On the Dell site, with VAT and delivery it becomes a dazzling £447.84. Why yes, I did want to pay £100~ more than is defensible. :sigh:
That said, if it was reasonably priced compared, I'd probably have bought one.

Just a tired old rant about being ripped off. Doesn't matter!

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Jun 16, 2011

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Mitsune posted:

This is the cheapest I've ever seen the U2410 on Dell's website. You've all been warned! :aaa:

I'm really tempted. I scratched my 2407WFP the other day but I don't think I can justify buying a new monitor on that basis alone.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
The best thing about having my U2711 is I'm not even tempted by all these deals on the 2311H or U2410 anymore. Sure, I paid a good bit more, but I'm pretty drat set. I pray I don't actually get good at daytrading or anything where I wind up needing a quad-27" monitor setup :(

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I just purchased the U2311H about 6 hours ago... I'm glad I did because the price just shot up by $30!

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Mitsune posted:

It says $599 for me. How much is it normally?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

peepsalot posted:

It says $599 for me. How much is it normally?
That is the normal price.

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

The U2410 was part of yesterday's deals, so they likely switched over mid-day or something. You missed out.

ilovemyducks
Nov 1, 2006
HI MOM!

Dillweed posted:

The U2410 was part of yesterday's deals, so they likely switched over mid-day or something. You missed out.

How much was it?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

Echo_ posted:

How much was it?

$429 :shepface:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The 23" is on sale today for $219.

Is one inch really $200 loving dollars? I feel ripped off....

http://www1.ca.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/days_of_deals?c=ca&cs=cadhs1&l=en&s=dhs

EDIT: The Wii is $130, ooh.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
An inch and an extra 230,400 pixels, but I see your point.
Personally I'd still steer towards the U2410, since the extra connectivity is useful to me (old consoles).
On that note, I just noticed there's no S-Video on it :(

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jun 17, 2011

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

http://www1.ca.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/days_of_deals?c=ca&cs=cadhs1&l=en&s=dhs

Is it possible to order this to the US/is it worth it?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Vintersorg posted:

It's a lot more than one inch because the U2410 is 16:10, wide gamut and has a bajillion inputs.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
I am on a Early 2009 iMac, and love the fancy IPS screen. It is upgrade time, and the call of 3D Vision Surround is strong. How :smith: will I feel going from my current monitor to 3 Asus VG236HEs? Follow up: How bad would it be to use a stand like this to rotate into portrait for serious work?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Sinestro posted:

I am on a Early 2009 iMac, and love the fancy IPS screen. It is upgrade time, and the call of 3D Vision Surround is strong. How :smith: will I feel going from my current monitor to 3 Asus VG236HEs?
They're decent quality monitors, but you'll probably notice the difference in color quality if you sit them next to each other.

Sinestro posted:

Follow up: How bad would it be to use a stand like this to rotate into portrait for serious work?
In that rotating TNs into portrait mode is typically a terrible idea, I'd say it'd probably be a terrible idea.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

DrDork posted:

In that rotating TNs into portrait mode is typically a terrible idea, I'd say it'd probably be a terrible idea.

:smithicide: When will there be 120Hz panels on less awful panel types?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Sinestro posted:

Technically there already are. Mitsubishi popped out a 24" 120Hz IPS at the end of last year, but only sold it in Japan, and it was around $1400.

PROLE ART THREAT
Sep 10, 2003
Was just going to ask why the price of the ultrasharp 23" was fluctuating so much in one week, from $319 to $249 and then to $279 today, and I guess I got my answer. I plan on buying this monitor, though I don't do any intense graphical work necessitating an IPS panel, but I want one for the pretty colors.

Can I expect the price of the 23" to drop again to 250 anytime soon, or just eat the $30 and buy the drat thing now? Or not even bother with the IPS panel if all I'm going to be doing is some gaming and mostly regular/casual use? Would be upgrading from an Acer AL2216W, 1650x1080. I've got a Radeon 6870 so I can handle the increased resolution.

Phalex
May 14, 2002

Kurtz posted:

Was just going to ask why the price of the ultrasharp 23" was fluctuating so much in one week, from $319 to $249 and then to $279 today, and I guess I got my answer. I plan on buying this monitor, though I don't do any intense graphical work necessitating an IPS panel, but I want one for the pretty colors.

Can I expect the price of the 23" to drop again to 250 anytime soon, or just eat the $30 and buy the drat thing now? Or not even bother with the IPS panel if all I'm going to be doing is some gaming and mostly regular/casual use? Would be upgrading from an Acer AL2216W, 1650x1080. I've got a Radeon 6870 so I can handle the increased resolution.

I got 2 u2311h's around 2 months ago when they were $249, and 4 more again a couple days ago at $249. I don't know if that's how often they go on sale, but it seems they aren't too shy about it :shobon:

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.

Sinestro posted:

To do 60hz you need a response time under 16ms. That's doable for IPS. If you go to 120hz you need an 8ms response. If your response time is too slow then the 3-D isn't going to work. Not sure if there's any other application for 120Hz, your eyes sure aren't going to notice.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

DrDork posted:

Technically there already are. Mitsubishi popped out a 24" 120Hz IPS at the end of last year, but only sold it in Japan, and it was around $1400.

I think that display achieved 120Hz by interpolation, which is not the same as true 120Hz.

I don't think we're going to see 120Hz on high quality panels until OLED becomes the technology of choice for all displays (which will probably be close to the end of this decade). LG have started committing big sums of money into OLED, so I can't see them dumping enormous sums of money into R&D for IPS to be able to support more than 60Hz.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Quanta posted:

I think that display achieved 120Hz by interpolation, which is not the same as true 120Hz.
Yeah, I'm not quite sure about the details, since it never was available outside of Japan. I do know it wasn't 3D compatible, at any rate, which was kinda lame for a $1400 monitor.

I do agree that it will be years before we see any 120Hz/3D IPS screens at prices that are even remotely attractive.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

http://www.amazon.com/HP-ZR24w-24-inch-S-IPS-Monitor/dp/B003D1ADUU/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I1OYI64K7FJ81L&colid=3IR8N6GKQRT8A

Is this a good deal for a 16:10 IPS panel?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
That's about an average price for that monitor. If you Google ZR24W and hit up the Shopping section, I think you can find places that'll sell it as low as $360 shipped.

Bazanga
Oct 10, 2006
chinchilla farmer
Is there a fancy codeword for matte or glossy coating in monitor specs that I'm not getting? I'm looking through the monitor sections on newegg and amazon and can't seem to find any details for most monitors as to whether they have glossy coating or matte coating. I already have a matte monitor and would really like to get a 24-27" glossy monitor to use for gaming and daily use. On most of the listings, they say things like the panel type, resolution, and contrast ratio but don't mention anything about the coating. :psyduck:

Edit: Okay, I think I found one. What is the consensus on the ASUS VW246H? It's a TN panel, which is what I believe I should get because of the price and response time differences between the IPS and TN panels. $200 is right about the limit of what I want to spend, so I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with this unless someone has a horror story or better alternative.

Bazanga fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jun 19, 2011

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
NewEgg doesn't typically make mention of what sort of monitor it is regarding glossy/matte. However, you can usually tell from the picture--if there's a clear delineation between the panel and the cabinet (usually the panel is recessed a bit) then it's almost certainly matte. If there's no delineation, and it looks like it's just one solid piece of glass, then it's probably glossy. You can also always look up the model number elsewhere, like on the manufacture's site (though this obviously doesn't help you when you're trying to whittle down NewEgg's mass of monitors into a more manageable number).

That particular monitor is matte. The "Glossy black" refers to the cabinet. However, it's a pretty good monitor--I own the VW242H (which is virtually the same), and it's a solid mid-range TN monitor that I really have no complaints about.

msinclair
Dec 17, 2010
Could anyone comment on the specs/quality of this 23" LED monitor? http://www.asus.com.au/Display/LCD_Monitors/VH238H/#overview

I can get one for about $170 anywhere in Australia. I only use my computer for gaming (A LOT of gaming) and internet stuff so I don't need super accurate colour reproduction. Are these Dell panels really worth paying twice the money for if you're not too serious about that sort of thing?

DontMindMe
Dec 3, 2010

What could possibly go wrong?
I'm trying to find two good monitors for a dual-monitor setup.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236123&cm_sp=Cat_Monitors-_-Hot_Deals-_-24-236-123 looks tempting, but I don't know the consensus on Asus monitors.

DontMindMe fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jun 19, 2011

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

upsciLLion posted:

If you're interested, MacMall currently has the ZR24w for $370 shipped.

So I tried buying this monitor from MacMall with my Visa, and everytime I try to checkout, it sends me to the sign up page for Verified by Visa and won't let me continue. gently caress Verified by Visa, why do they even do that?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

As another update, if you got the money, Dell 30" Ultrasharp for $1000CDN, $400 off.

Manny
Jun 15, 2001

Like fruitcake!

archangelwar posted:

So I tried buying this monitor from MacMall with my Visa, and everytime I try to checkout, it sends me to the sign up page for Verified by Visa and won't let me continue. gently caress Verified by Visa, why do they even do that?

I've noticed more sites I use have this. Once you sign up it's just a case of typing in another password every time you purchase, just as another anti-fraud measure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

Manny posted:

I've noticed more sites I use have this. Once you sign up it's just a case of typing in another password every time you purchase, just as another anti-fraud measure.

Yes, but it provides no extra protection while putting more hassle on the user, as banks are less likely to review fraudulent purchases that have been 'Verified by Visa' even though resetting the password is simple if you have any basic information on the cardholder.