Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lasty
Aug 21, 2006
Come oooooon Lasty!

Duckman2008 posted:

Sprint dumbphone options kinda suck, the best one is the rumor touch and it has been out over 1 year now. The only dumbphone I could recommend over the TP2 is the lotus elite, and sadly that phone is 6 months discontinued.

The Touch Pro 2 is discontinued too, isn't it? I'm on the $30 SERO free ride express and can't hop off anytime soon, so it sounds like I should look at a Rumor or a Reclaim?

Of course I'm using a 6 year old Samsung A900, so maybe it's good I'm not diving into the deep end of the technology pool right away anyhow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Lasty posted:

The Touch Pro 2 is discontinued too, isn't it? I'm on the $30 SERO free ride express and can't hop off anytime soon, so it sounds like I should look at a Rumor or a Reclaim?

Of course I'm using a 6 year old Samsung A900, so maybe it's good I'm not diving into the deep end of the technology pool right away anyhow.

TP2 is discontinued and they require an extra $10 a month for Windows Mobile now anyway. Best feature phone to get in my opinion is the Rumor Touch, followed by the Reclaim I guess. Sprint's dumbphones are all literally 1+years old.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Ozmodiar posted:

I was thinking the same thing. If that is "barely using" a phone, then I can't imagine what "heavy usage" is.

You could look into a portable battery charger too -

$16.12
2600mAh Universal External Backup Battery for Mobile Devices

$39.76
7800mAh Universal External Backup Battery for Mobile Devices

I'm certainly picking up the 7800mAh one before my next vacation. It'll be very easy to keep this in my backpack to charge my phone (and anyone elses) if need be.

Day-to-Day, I get along just fine since I can charge my phone at the office and in my car when need be.

I thought about go this route, but it seems that when I need this I am at a bar or at a show. I just don't know how reasonable it is to carry something like this around when I go out drinking. I thought about a bigger battery, but I don't want to change the profile of my phone. Plus since I have hope that the Nexus 3 will be out this year on Sprint I am not going to invest anymore into my EVO.

Since I run the MIUI ROM I don't have 4G. I can only imagine battery life on 4G.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
The more I think about it, the more I think I'm just going to hold onto my EVO 4G this year. It's still an awesome phone, and the only thing I'm really lacking at the moment is space (fixed by purchasing a larger microSD card), so I think I can hold out. The 3D looks promising, but it seems likely that there will be an equally impressive phone coming out this time next year, and I'll be in a much better place to get that one, instead. And since my 4G is still performing like a champ, I think I'm okay with that.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Bah, Amazonwireless only has the Nexus S for $100 for new contracts, upgrade makes it $150. Now I have no idea if I want to go Nexus S or 3D.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Personally I'm going with the 3d. It's got a lot more hardware in it, so you're less likely to run into limitations later on running apps.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

spidoman posted:

Bah, Amazonwireless only has the Nexus S for $100 for new contracts, upgrade makes it $150. Now I have no idea if I want to go Nexus S or 3D.

I like the Nexus a lot and it'll do you well, but go with the 3D.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

I like the Nexus a lot and it'll do you well, but go with the 3D.

Yeah, watching and reading the engadget review again, it's a pretty terrible review, feeling a lot better with it being only $50 more than the Nexus S.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

brc64 posted:

The more I think about it, the more I think I'm just going to hold onto my EVO 4G this year. It's still an awesome phone, and the only thing I'm really lacking at the moment is space (fixed by purchasing a larger microSD card), so I think I can hold out. The 3D looks promising, but it seems likely that there will be an equally impressive phone coming out this time next year, and I'll be in a much better place to get that one, instead. And since my 4G is still performing like a champ, I think I'm okay with that.

The thing that bugs me the most about the reviews I have read so far (battery life I am reserving judgement) for the EVO 3D is what has been said about the qHD screen. While most reviews have said awesome upgrade they also have been saying it is lacking in comparison to many of the new phones coming out. It was even said that because of the 3D overlay the screen is not as good as the Sensation. From some reason that really bugs me.

My current view is if you don't have a EVO and want to upgrade I don't see how you can go wrong with the EVO 3D. My wife will jump to the it from the Hero next Friday. That said I don't see any real reason to upgrade from a EVO to the EVO 3D at this time. Especially with the SGS2 announcement coming soon (I know Samsung but the phone seems to be great according to overseas and reviews), and the rumored Sprint Nexus 3 at the end of the year.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

nate fisher posted:

The thing that bugs me the most about the reviews I have read so far (battery life I am reserving judgement) for the EVO 3D is what has been said about the qHD screen. While most reviews have said awesome upgrade they also have been saying it is lacking in comparison to many of the new phones coming out. It was even said that because of the 3D overlay the screen is not as good as the Sensation. From some reason that really bugs me.

My current view is if you don't have a EVO and want to upgrade I don't see how you can go wrong with the EVO 3D. My wife will jump to the it from the Hero next Friday. That said I don't see any real reason to upgrade from a EVO to the EVO 3D at this time. Especially with the SGS2 announcement coming soon (I know Samsung but the phone seems to be great according to overseas and reviews), and the rumored Sprint Nexus 3 at the end of the year.

I know the feeling, doubly so since the Nexus 3 is rumored to have a 1280x720 screen and I love my pixel density. My only concern with waiting for the new Nexus is that it is not guaranteed to come to Sprint. I thought Google and Sprint were going to be BFFs now or something, but a lot of the rumors indicate that the device will be built for 4G LTE networks like ATT and Verizon. Maybe they will have a third sku with a 4G wimax radio for Sprint.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

When is the next round of new phones? It will probably go Photon then GS2 then Nexus 3?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Turnquiet posted:

I know the feeling, doubly so since the Nexus 3 is rumored to have a 1280x720 screen and I love my pixel density. My only concern with waiting for the new Nexus is that it is not guaranteed to come to Sprint. I thought Google and Sprint were going to be BFFs now or something, but a lot of the rumors indicate that the device will be built for 4G LTE networks like ATT and Verizon. Maybe they will have a third sku with a 4G wimax radio for Sprint.

This gives me hope Sprint is first (no matter how wrongly placed):

http://androidandme.com/2011/05/news/is-this-the-google-nexus-3-picture/

Seriously Google should release the Nexus across all carriers at the same time.

spidoman posted:

When is the next round of new phones? It will probably go Photon then GS2 then Nexus 3?

You can add the iPhone 4S in there before the Nexus 3 if rumors turn to be true.

Edit: Article on why you should wait for the Nexus 3

http://androidandme.com/2011/06/news/here-are-6-reasons-why-you-might-want-to-wait-for-the-nexus-3-part-1/

Rumored to have the Tegra 3 it packs the following features:

World’s first mobile quad-core CPU
New 12-Core NVIDIA GPU with support for 3D stereo
Support for Extreme HD at a 2560 x 1600 resolution
5x faster than the Tegra 2
40 nm by TSMC
Ultra Low Power GPU mode
1080p H.264 High Profile video decode

Wow oh wow!

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jun 16, 2011

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL

nate fisher posted:

You can add the iPhone 4S in there before the Nexus 3 if rumors turn to be true.

http://androidandme.com/2011/06/news/here-are-6-reasons-why-you-might-want-to-wait-for-the-nexus-3-part-1/

40 nm by TSMC
Ultra Low Power GPU mode

Wow oh wow!

Holy balls :stare:

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Gah, I don't want to keep my hero for another six months :cry: It may be smartest for me to buy a used Evo or something at this point...

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe
The fact that these phones may be on the horizon makes me want to barf. I may just wait considering that I don't use my phone nearly as much as I used to but just that I wanted the Evo 3D for the spec bump.

Of course buying another phone outright isn't out of the question but I'd love to avoid that if I could.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

spidoman posted:

Gah, I don't want to keep my hero for another six months :cry: It may be smartest for me to buy a used Evo or something at this point...

Like I said I would go with the EVO 3D if rocking a Hero still.

RyanManRules
May 31, 2006

Just picked up a HTC Evo yesterday, and so far it has been amazing. For people that have/had one, what is the best choice of protecting it, case, or ghost armor?

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

I have used the Innocase 2 Surface, some big fishbones case, and an otterbox case. I like the Innocase 2 the best. The other ones make it look cheap.

RyanManRules
May 31, 2006

Looking around, are Innocase's only online?

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

I have seen them in Best Buys and Sprint stores. I just buy mine from Amazon.

RyanManRules
May 31, 2006

Ok cool, I just don't feel like waiting for the shipping, if it's a huge price difference I guess I can wait though.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Why would you buy an Evo when the new one comes out in a week?

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

RyanManRules posted:

Just picked up a HTC Evo yesterday, and so far it has been amazing. For people that have/had one, what is the best choice of protecting it, case, or ghost armor?

Been rocking it naked since launch. I drop it infrequently, and there's not a scratch on it.

RyanManRules
May 31, 2006

big mean giraffe posted:

Why would you buy an Evo when the new one comes out in a week?

Got it for 50 bucks, and I don't make a whole ton of money to be spending it on new phones.. If anything I'll pick the new one up in Oct. when I have another upgrade.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Myrddin Emrys posted:

Been rocking it naked since launch. I drop it infrequently, and there's not a scratch on it.
Same here. Well, I had mine replaced a little while ago because it got stuck in a weird diagnostic mode, but it was in perfect condition otherwise. My new one is perfect so far too.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I don't think I can play the wait and see game anymore. I'm pretty done with my pre. It works beautifully as a phone, but just lacks at everything else...plus that whole no actual device available for the foreseeable future on sprint thing means there isn't even an option to upgrade from. As far as I can tell the evo3d is the best option right now, and then in another 18 months things will be even better.

RyanManRules
May 31, 2006

SLOSifl posted:

Same here. Well, I had mine replaced a little while ago because it got stuck in a weird diagnostic mode, but it was in perfect condition otherwise. My new one is perfect so far too.

Gaaah, I'm incredibly nervous about breaking it's beautiful screen. I just don't trust myself enough to keep it naked.

Tony Danza
Dec 21, 2004
And How!
Well I preordered the Evo 3d before the reviews, then I was worried after reading engadget, and now I am just ready to get the phone already. I have had the Hero for too long to not upgrade now. If and when something (Nexus 3) else comes out I can just sell the 3d on craigslist or something. At least then I know the hero will not drive me to kill someone in the mean time.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Tony Danza posted:

Well I preordered the Evo 3d before the reviews, then I was worried after reading engadget, and now I am just ready to get the phone already. I have had the Hero for too long to not upgrade now. If and when something (Nexus 3) else comes out I can just sell the 3d on craigslist or something. At least then I know the hero will not drive me to kill someone in the mean time.

That's basically the point I am at now. It's not a perfect phone, but it seems like it's more of a "not a perfect phone compared to all these non-sprint phones." Well I'm sticking with sprint because I'm paying $40 a month per line for unlimited text and data. I don't care if I have Top 10 phone instead of a Top 3 phone.

Chappy
Feb 12, 2002

wooom wooom vroooom ksh ksh vooom
That engadget review is poo poo. 14 hours with all of the radios on (which I'm assuming means 4g too) is absolutely fantastic. We have had a review unit at my store since Tuesday and so far its a kick rear end phone. Everyone plays with it constantly, mostly using 3d stuff and its at 50% at the end of the day.

I also don't get what problems people have with the buttons. They work great for me.

Finally I don't get why they say sense is bad. This version of sense is great. I know it was lovely on the hero due to the hardware but it loving flies on the 3d.

As far as 3d stuff goes if you never want to use it you don't. Its not really forced on you.

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
"I don't want to sound gay or anything, but I'd really like to have sex with you tonight.
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016

Chappy posted:

That engadget review is poo poo. 14 hours with all of the radios on (which I'm assuming means 4g too) is absolutely fantastic. We have had a review unit at my store since Tuesday and so far its a kick rear end phone. Everyone plays with it constantly, mostly using 3d stuff and its at 50% at the end of the day.

I also don't get what problems people have with the buttons. They work great for me.

Finally I don't get why they say sense is bad. This version of sense is great. I know it was lovely on the hero due to the hardware but it loving flies on the 3d.

As far as 3d stuff goes if you never want to use it you don't. Its not really forced on you.

I never quite understood why sense is hated so much either. It completely sucked balls on my Hero, but even rooted the phone still sucks poo poo through a tube. It's fine on other HTC phones. Looking forward to the pair of 3Deez coming next week and ditching these loving Hero junkpiles.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

I'm really excited for a new phone as I've had my hero for a little over a year and although it's not the fastest thing ever, and pandora makes it die sometimes, I don't have a steaming hatred for it, makes me think that I've never realized how green the grass can be.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Choicecut posted:

I never quite understood why sense is hated so much either. It completely sucked balls on my Hero, but even rooted the phone still sucks poo poo through a tube. It's fine on other HTC phones. Looking forward to the pair of 3Deez coming next week and ditching these loving Hero junkpiles.

It's not exactly Sense people hate, it's that Sense is so entwined in the phone that its a bitch NOT to use it if you don't want to. So it sort of takes away some of the choice people love Android for.

Of course, it's possible to not use Sense, but it's not just adding a new Home app, either.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

nate fisher posted:

I'm not sure what "Sprint CDMA" support means, as opposed to Verizon, unless the phone doesn't have support for the 850 band, which would be strange.

Anyways, a LTE/CDMA/UMTS (if they did that) Nexus 3 is a dream device, and one I'd definitely consider even if it doesn't have WiMAX. Since, hopefully, Sprint would start their LTE transition at some point.

I think folks who picked up Nexus Ones last cycle lucked out. Sure it has some issues, like multitouch and the small /data problem, but considering that the phone has only recently been eclipsed by dual-core devices a year-and-a-half later and is still very relevant, folks who got it on them early were able to ride them a good long time. The Nexus 3 easily has the same potential for the ICS generation of devices.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

nate fisher posted:

40 nm by TSMC
Ultra Low Power GPU mode

Wow oh wow!

Strongly considering buying a used Evo (like anyone would pay money or trade for my Epic) until this comes out, but then I recall that Sprint hasn't gotten poo poo from Google prior to the NS4G.

I'm torn. Either I get the Evo 3D on release day or I take that money and buy a used Evo 4G and then wait 6 months, then find that the Nexus 3 is probably going to a/the GSM carrier.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

The Entire Universe posted:

Strongly considering buying a used Evo (like anyone would pay money or trade for my Epic) until this comes out, but then I recall that Sprint hasn't gotten poo poo from Google prior to the NS4G.

I'm torn. Either I get the Evo 3D on release day or I take that money and buy a used Evo 4G and then wait 6 months, then find that the Nexus 3 is probably going to a/the GSM carrier.

Sprint was actually destined to get the Nexus One, until they decided to not offer it in favor of the EVO 4G instead.

The recent Sprint & Google Voice partnership, plus the likely acquisition of T-Mo by AT&T makes me very hopeful that Sprint will be Google's preferred carrier going forward, and they'll just make the Nexus series all "World Phones" going forward.

...hey, I can dream, right?

punkr0csux
May 1, 2008

nate fisher posted:

40 nm by TSMC
Ultra Low Power GPU mode

I wish they would stop with the processor dick waving competitions. I'd really like to see even more power efficient processors than faster and more powerful ones.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

punkr0csux posted:

I wish they would stop with the processor dick waving competitions. I'd really like to see even more power efficient processors than faster and more powerful ones.

I'm more excited in smaller fabrication and displays with smaller power consumption then sheer horsepower. Are there even apps that struggled on the last gen of qualcomm soc? (1ghz snapdragon)

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Chappy posted:

What about the claim that the 3D screen layer makes the regular 2D screen somewhat blurry? Have you noticed anything like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeratain
Apr 5, 2004

I have no socially redeeming value.
Here's my current situation:

Current Phone: Palm Pre-
Issues: The phone requires a headset or speakermode. Cant use as a normal phone. Resets randomly. Jittery. Keyboard isn't responsive (doesn't recognize space bar half the time).

Choice 1: Nexus S 4G
Pros: SAMOLED screen. Good looking and sleek (I prefer its looks to the EVO). Vanilla Android with guaranteed updates. Good performance. NFC (I live in the Bay Area, so I can use it in SF potentially).
Cons: Cheap feeling. Older internals, though not obsolete. Weird button layout.

Choice 2: HTC Evo 3D
Pros: Amazing specs. qHD SLCD screen. Future-proof (good radio selection)? Better button layout.
Cons: So-so battery life. Sense (I am not a fan and will root the phone and put vanilla Android on it). 3D - It's useless and ruins the 2D aspect of the screen. Camera is not great in 2D mode.

Really what it boils down to for me are the screens between the two devices. Will I notice a substantial difference between a qHD SLCD vs. an SAMOLED?