Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Jork Juggler posted:

Motor Trend had a race driver take a new Boss 302 for a few laps at Laguna Seca. It did a 1:40.2. For comparison, a '10 GT500 clocked 1:44.3, a '09 BMW M3 did 1:42.9, and a '10 Audi R8 did 1:40.8. I think Ford has perfected the live axle if their 4-passenger $41k car beats a mid-engined near-supercar around Laguna Seca.

Holy crap. I stand quite solidly corrected.

I just haven't been keeping up with that kind of thing in the last several years. I though they squeezed all they could squeeze out of the live axle at that point. I guess I was quite wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

dissss posted:

Leaving Porsche aside I'd say the similarities between Volkswagen and Audi products are pretty widely known and in some cases actually overstated.

All you have to do is look at the motoring section of a newspaper, if they've reviewed say an A1 they'll be sure to mention you could just get a more powerful Polo for less money. Ditto with an A4, they'll say the Passat is bigger and cheaper and mechanically the same (even though there are some important differences between the two). It gets even more complicated in markets where Skodas are available.

Then you have VW splitting the American Jetta/Passat off from the international versions - presumably this is an effort to add further differentiation by making them bigger and cheaper

To someone who's really up-to-date with cars, yes the similarities are obvious, but the average new Audi buyer is probably more up to date with the latest news in sunglasses than cars.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Trip report: 2011 Kia Optima

Pros:
- This is a really nice looking car. In profile it looks like it should cost about $10k more. The rear end is really well done. The front, well, it looks like other ias with the gaping grill. One nice touch is the top of the windshield has a small kink in it that matches the front grill.
- Decent power. I didn't have any problem with a lack of power from the 2.4L four. Granted it's not what I would call quick but it's certainly sufficient for most people.
- Very large inside.

Cons:
- The car drove a lot like the Forte. Steering was fairly numb and it felt jittery. I'd say it drives like a car $5k cheaper (The car was $23k as optioned)
- The driver's seat at least was not very comfortable. I wouldn't want to spend an entire day in it. My back is a bit sore from the hour long commute I have.
- The six-speed transmission isn't very refined and it didn't really communicate all that well with the engine in determining a good gear to be in.

All in all it was a pretty decent car. I can see why people would buy it. Driving dynamics-wise, it's not nearly as good as some of the other cars out there, but being a Kia I thought it would be worse.

It really does look a lot more expensive than it is. It's a shame the neighbors will see the Kia badge and assume it cost half of what you paid, though. At least in my experience people associate Kia with cheap economy cars, and I wouldn't really call this car a cheap economy car. More like a cheap economy car in a big expensive car's body, if that makes sense.

If it stops raining I'll post some pictures.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I found this today!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/308542211/lubricheck-the-digital-blood-tester-for-your-car

Looks fun.

Shame I didn't get a chance to back it.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Jork Juggler posted:

Motor Trend had a race driver take a new Boss 302 for a few laps at Laguna Seca. It did a 1:40.2. For comparison, a '10 GT500 clocked 1:44.3, a '09 BMW M3 did 1:42.9, and a '10 Audi R8 did 1:40.8. I think Ford has perfected the live axle if their 4-passenger $41k car beats a mid-engined near-supercar around Laguna Seca.
What type tires and what skill level drivers of those cars?

SwashedBuckles
Aug 10, 2007

Have at you!

grover posted:

What type tires and what skill level drivers of those cars?

From what I can remember of the article it was a professional driver, but I can't remember if they tried to match the tires between the two. Their main point seemed to be that you could have the track performance of an M3 for half the cost.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

CornHolio posted:

Trip report: 2011 Kia Optima

I personally have been really shocked that Kia has stepped it up. When we were searching for our new SUV we did drive a Kia Sportage with the 2.0 turbo charged 4 cylinder. I admit it, it was kinda fun to drive. Really great bang for the buck for an SUV. When we looked at the Hyundai Santa Fe, I did ask to drive the Genesis Coupe. That could really give the Ze Germans a run for the money, if they did some suspension work, and a little work on the gear box (it was an auto, the only one on the lot with a 3.8). The manual could prove to be fun, and if they slot the V8 in the front, it would be a great all around car for not much money.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

dissss posted:

Leaving Porsche aside I'd say the similarities between Volkswagen and Audi products are pretty widely known and in some cases actually overstated.

All you have to do is look at the motoring section of a newspaper, if they've reviewed say an A1 they'll be sure to mention you could just get a more powerful Polo for less money. Ditto with an A4, they'll say the Passat is bigger and cheaper and mechanically the same (even though there are some important differences between the two). It gets even more complicated in markets where Skodas are available.

Then you have VW splitting the American Jetta/Passat off from the international versions - presumably this is an effort to add further differentiation by making them bigger and cheaper

I think you're seriously overestimating the general knowledge of the American car buyer (not surprising, I suspect you're European since you mentioned Skoda and the Polo). Most Americans don't understand the relationship between Acura/Honda, Infiniti/Nissan, Lexus/Toyota for one, and the only reason they know the link between the GM brands and Ford/Lincoln is that GM insists on putting those stupid badges on all of their cars, and they both sell the different nameplates at the same dealerships.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

SwashedBuckles posted:

From what I can remember of the article it was a professional driver, but I can't remember if they tried to match the tires between the two. Their main point seemed to be that you could have the track performance of an M3 for half the cost.
It's tough to compare lap times without knowing more. The Boss 302 was almost certainly driven by a professional driver for Motor Trend, and quite likely on r-comps and track prepped. For all we know, the R8 time was the owner taking it for a spin on street tires at door-jamb pressures and street alignment. Or do we know more about that run?

I don't think there's any question the Mustang will be more bang for the buck, but without knowing more, it's still tough to say which bang is bigger.

grover fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jun 10, 2011

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

grover posted:

It's tough to compare lap times without knowing more. The Boss 302 was almost certainly driven by a professional driver for Motor Trend, and quite likely on r-comps and track prepped. For all we know, the R8 time was the owner taking it for a spin on street tires at door-jamb pressures and street alignment. Or do we know more about that run?

I don't think there's any question the Mustang will be more bang for the buck, but without knowing more, it's still tough to say which bang is bigger.

Yeah, if the R8 were 5 seconds faster, it would totally poo poo on the theory that Ford still knows how to set up the live axle.

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought...

The Boss 302 was running Pirelli PZeros, and during the 1:40.2 lap it was being driven by 2010 Rolex 24hrs Daytona GT class winner Jonathan Bomarito.

The M3 and Audi R8 lap times were set by professional drivers as well, but they didn't specify whom.

"With a professional racing driver behind the wheel, the 2009 BMW M3 that competed in our 2008 Best Handling competition clocked a 1:42.9. In our 2009 Best Driver's Car competition the 2010 Shelby GT500 lapped in 1:44.3 while a 2010 Audi R8 did it in 1:40.8."

The Boss 302 Laguna Seca edition was running r-comp tires and set an even faster lap time.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I swear, i'm starting to like bench racing more than real racing.

The boss 302 was on the stock pirelli pzero
The audi r8 was also on stock pirelli pzero
the BMW m3 was michelin pilot sport PS2s, but had a 7 speed auto and steel roof/sunroof

Both the audi r8 and M3 were driven by randy pobst, another winning professional race driver. The same randy pobst who pushed a GT500 past a zr1 on streets of willow springs

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Holy poo poo, rotary lovers! To be honest this isn't actually a car, but you, yes, YOU could have a little baby-sized rotary engine chargin' your gadgets!

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2011/06/tiny-rotary-engines-could-power-gadgets-with-gasoline/

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
That is just simply awesome. I home it gets cheap enough to use as a portable generator.

In other news:

Reuters posted:

Porsche Reveals More Details About the All-Electric Boxster E
by Andrew Meggison

More information has been shared by Porsche about their prototype eclectic cars and the best news is they are being tested out on the roads today.

The Porsche electric prototype cars are being used as part of the government-funded "Model Region Electro-Mobility Stuttgart", which is a large-scale trial to study the everyday reasonableness of using all-electric vehicles. Of the three Porsche Boxster E electric prototypes two of the cars are rear-wheel drive (RWD) and one is all-wheel drive (AWD).

The AWD model uses two independent electric motors. These two electric motors act on the front and rear axles creating a combined output of 241 HP and a maximum total torque of 398 lb-ft at around 12,000 rpm. The company says the AWD model can go from zero to sixty in about 5.5 seconds and reaches a top speed of 124 mph.

By comparison the two RWD prototypes can go from zero to sixty in about 9.8 seconds and have a top speed of 93 mph. The RWD prototypes do away with the motor on the front axle and use the rear unit that delivers 121 HP and 199 lb-ft of torque.

The Boxster E prototypes come with a 29kWh lithium iron phosphate battery. The battery has a driving range of 107 miles and will take about 9 hours to charge however a fast charge option will be available. Boxster E prototypes weigh around 3,527 pounds, the battery weighing in alone at 752 pounds.

Porsche claims that the storage in the rear of the cars remains unchanged from other models and that there is even space in the front storage compartment. Additionally, both RWD and AWD models are equipped with Active Sound Design systems that give the diver acoustic feedback and doubles as sound to alert pedestrians and other drivers of the cars presence. Active Sound Design has been used on some BMW models to create a nice sporty sound of a V8 as opposed to a near silent run. An Active Sound Design system uses a series of microphones, signal processing, and the vehicles stereo system to emulate the sound of a motor.

While these prototype cars might not be winning any races, it is nice to see that Porsche is embracing all electric vehicles. As for when a polished and quick all electric Porsche Boxster E will be available to purchasers, the company is not saying.
I was actually excited about this, but I'm really disappointed in the specs. 3500lbs for 107 miles range? And that's probably city driving. How far at at 155mph, I wonder, could it even make it the whole way around the 'ring at top speed?

eames
May 9, 2009

grover posted:

That is just simply awesome. I home it gets cheap enough to use as a portable generator.

In other news:
I was actually excited about this, but I'm really disappointed in the specs. 3500lbs for 107 miles range? And that's probably city driving. How far at at 155mph, I wonder, could it even make it the whole way around the 'ring at top speed?

Porsche needs to drop the Boxster with it’s wannabe-911 image and revive a classic like the 356 or 914 as a small-ish electric car with a radically different design.
In any case, it sounds like its going to be a pretty nice city car.

I’m envisioning the Active Sound Design tuners of the future, where ricers take the sound unit out of the latest V12-immitating Ferrari EV, turn up the volume to 11 and put it in their Prius. :smithicide:

eames
May 9, 2009

New M5 is official now, full press release with more pictures available here: http://www.autoblog.com/2011/06/15/bmw-opens-the-floodgates-on-2012-m5/

4.4L twin scroll twin turbo V8, 560 hp, DCT.

But really, just look at this diagram. Look at it.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

eames posted:

:psyduck:

Look at that torque curveplateau.

I want one, right loving now.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
I guess the torque is limited to save the transmission?

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

sanchez posted:

It's probably more just BMW makes weird dyno charts.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

KozmoNaut posted:

:psyduck:

No poo poo...This really makes me wonder how powerful cars are going to get before energy costs/regulations or the recession make these kinds of cars impossible to sell.

There is no doubt in my mind that Dinan will make an 800 ft./lb tune for that beast.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Lowclock posted:

It's probably more just BMW makes weird dyno charts.

It's more about modern turbo engines.

Here's what ford released for the taurus SHO ecoobost

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
I'm impressed by the power to weight, going by the figures the new M5 weighs in 200lbs lighter than the outgoing!

sanchez posted:

It's also done for driveability. When you have two tiny turbos it's really easy to get them to spool very early and use wastegate actuation to maintain a constant torque curve and provide extremely linear power instead of the peakiness experienced with earlier turbos and NA cars.

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jun 17, 2011

Jork Juggler
May 22, 2007

Fayez Butts posted:

Holy poo poo, rotary lovers! To be honest this isn't actually a car, but you, yes, YOU could have a little baby-sized rotary engine chargin' your gadgets!

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2011/06/tiny-rotary-engines-could-power-gadgets-with-gasoline/

It's a real-life version of this Nissan Leaf ad:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0sCCJFkEbE&feature=player_embedded

Interesting idea for camping or something, but a fuel cell is probably a better idea.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
Those ultra flat torque curves mean show two things.

First that modern variable nozzle turbos, electronic wastegates, and direct injection enable automakers to really fine tune the output of their engines.

Second that they left peak torque and corresponding midrange power on the table.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
What is different about the BMW engine that it continues to produce near-peak power once torque falls off? Is it just producing more torque, as if the torque dive is shallower? If so, what makes this possible?

Tan Dumplord fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jun 16, 2011

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice

Cream_Filling posted:

Who knows? Maybe by 2015 or whatever, this will be the start of a new roadster fad and even Hyundai and Kia will put out affordable Solstice/Sky cousins at 20k or under.

Surprised it hasn't been posted yet:
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/265831/kias_mx5_rival_revealed.html

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
That's a really, blatantly obvious photoshop of a Pontiac Solstice. And not even a good one at that. I do wonder what an actual Kia roadster will look like

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Q_res posted:

That's a really, blatantly obvious photoshop of a Pontiac Solstice. And not even a good one at that. I do wonder what an actual Kia roadster will look like

.....I think that's the point

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

I was making more of a comment on them having the gall to publish it in a "newsstory". A Kia roadster almost certainly won't look even remotely like that. So what's the point of including it? In other words, internet "journalism" is pathetic

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Particularly as the only evidence they seem to have is a quote that "we would like to have something like the MX-5 in the future."

"Like to" not "we have something in the pipeline".

I mean how do you take these quotes

quote:

Bosses are calling it Kia’s MX-5. The fast-expanding company has earmarked a roadster in its future plans as it works to position itself as a “dynamic, sporting, fun brand” – and our images show what the car could look like.

European CEO Paul Philpott confirmed that a two-seater would be the preferred choice as a desirable sports model. “I’d like to have a Kia MX-5,” he said. “2011 and 2012 are about establishing the brand. But for 2013 and 2014, we’re thinking about halo models that stretch the company forward.”

Speaking separately, chief designer Peter Schreyer also backed the car. He explained: “The brand deserves a sporty car, like a roadster.” The German is currently applying the ‘tiger nose’ grille to the growing range, and the new car will get a more aggressive version, with a deeper grille, as our pictures show.

Philpott said the company was positioning itself as a younger brand than sister firm Hyundai. He added: “There’s a big programme going on right now: How do we best differentiate Hyundai and Kia?

“In the past, we have been too close together, but if Kia is fun, dynamic and more youthful, Hyundai is more about style and comfort: more upmarket. VW manages brands more effectively than most. If you think Hyundai is more like VW, Kia is more like SEAT.”

Bosses revealed that the new sporty two-seater would be based on the next generation Kia Soul, which will also underpin a junior 4x4 designed to sit below the fast-selling Sportage. “We’re looking at the market for a smaller SUV that is four-wheel drive,” said Philpott.
and get their conclusions?

This is pure 100% bullshit and it's bad even by the standards of internet or auto "journalism".

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jun 16, 2011

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

eames posted:

Porsche needs to drop the Boxster with it’s wannabe-911 image and revive a classic like the 356 or 914 as a small-ish electric car with a radically different design.
In any case, it sounds like its going to be a pretty nice city car.

I’m envisioning the Active Sound Design tuners of the future, where ricers take the sound unit out of the latest V12-immitating Ferrari EV, turn up the volume to 11 and put it in their Prius. :smithicide:

Isn't that the plan for the Porsche version of the Bluemotion?

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
My whole point about those dyno graphs was that they're really really basic (and pretty much incorrect) fits of the real data which I guess would look impressive to someone who doesn't know what a dyno is. Here's an actual SHO dyno sheet.

Real (blue is stock with CAI, red is tuned)

vs.
Whatever this is supposed to be

I'm sure that BMW one is doing the same thing.

E: VVV Probably so they can use cheaper parts that are common with their other vehicles instead of having to make some stronger parts that would only be used on a fraction of their cars.

ee:

Throatwarbler posted:

How is either of those incorrect? The information is more or less identical on both.
You have got to be kidding me.

Lowclock fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jun 17, 2011

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
I'm still confused as to why these makers would be peak-shaving the torque curve to artificially limit power. Wouldn't MORE TORQUE be even better than an artificially low-but-flat torque curve?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Lowclock posted:

My whole point about those dyno graphs was that they're really really basic (and pretty much incorrect) fits of the real data which I guess would look impressive to someone who doesn't know what a dyno is. Here's an actual SHO dyno sheet.

vs.
Whatever this is supposed to be

I'm sure that BMW one is doing the same thing.

E: VVV Probably so they can use cheaper parts that are common with their other vehicles instead of having to make some stronger parts that would only be used on a fraction of their cars.

How is either of those incorrect? The information is more or less identical on both.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
The east and west coasts of America are both at sea level, therefore the entire country is perfectly flat and level.

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jun 17, 2011

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

grover posted:

I'm still confused as to why these makers would be peak-shaving the torque curve to artificially limit power. Wouldn't MORE TORQUE be even better than an artificially low-but-flat torque curve?

Usually it's either an issue of drivetrain preservation, or drivability

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Lowclock posted:

Here's an actual SHO dyno sheet.

That's a really unfortunate curve.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

grover posted:

1) Not if you pick up the tab when it breaks 2) it depends on the compressor map. If 10psi@1500-6000 rpm lands you in the 95% compressor efficiency range for the whole band, bumping it up to 15psi for part of it but going into the 80% efficiency range would be a diminishing return in terms of output. For those returns you get substantially more heat produced and higher compressor speeds, which reduce turbo life. Since you have to replace these systems when poo poo break, it behooves you to artificially limit power the max amount of power for longevity. Also, the large flat torque curve is largely a function of variable valve timing, which might be an extremely agressive profile for the whole range, but without it the car would have the normal hump torque profile.

Lowclock posted:

My whole point about those dyno graphs was that they're really really basic (and pretty much incorrect) fits of the real data which I guess would look impressive to someone who doesn't know what a dyno is.

They're just smoothed curves which fit the torque profile, it's not exact but pretty close. That SHO looks like it's pulling timing or retarding boost because I've seen another one where the torque curve stays going much later.

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Jun 17, 2011

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
The new Alfa derived Dodge Caliber is almost done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
That might actually be attractive.