Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Christ Pseudoscientist posted:

I was under the impression that Grantland was using sponsorships from companies more so than advertisements for their revenue stream. Considering some of the writers involved with the site I'm thinking it is more of a vanity project for ESPN which they can afford to take a loss on.

Sponsors still want to know that a site has eyeballs on it, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Ribsauce posted:

I hope they don't add them. User comments are worthless, I have never seen a website improved by them. I hate them because even though I know they will be horrible I can't not click on them.

AVClub can be funny sometimes. But sports websites comments are usually worse than YouTube.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

Christ Pseudoscientist posted:

I was under the impression that Grantland was using sponsorships from companies more so than advertisements for their revenue stream. Considering some of the writers involved with the site I'm thinking it is more of a vanity project for ESPN which they can afford to take a loss on.

The real money most sites get from advertising online is through sponsorships, that is not something outside of the norm. They probably get a guaranteed number of impressions for their units, nobody is sponsoring the site or sections of it just for the Hell of it.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Steve Kelley is at it again!

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/stevekelley/2015304408_kelley13.html

quote:

But this season's sharp decline poses two questions: How will he handle this autumn of his career? And how will the Mariners handle him?

The Mariners always have operated under a set of "Ichiro Rules." He has played every day, even on days when it would be in his best interest to rest. He has always hit leadoff.

He doesn't sacrifice bunt. He rarely walks. He won't trade a few percentage points on his batting average to drive the ball more, even though he has the power to hit as many as 25 home runs per year.

It's more subtle "Ichiro is selfish" bullshit that the Seattle media always likes to throw out for some reason. I also love the assumption of "Ichiro can hit 20-25 HRs" because Ichiro can mash 60mph BP balls over the fence.

Ichiro has been one of the best athletes in Seattle history and our media always wants to crucify him.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

seiferguy posted:

It's more subtle "Ichiro is selfish" bullshit that the Seattle media always likes to throw out for some reason. I also love the assumption of "Ichiro can hit 20-25 HRs" because Ichiro can mash 60mph BP balls over the fence.

Ichiro has been one of the best athletes in Seattle history and our media always wants to crucify him.

I hate that Bill Plaschke style of paragraphs only being two sentences or less. Steve Kelley hasn't improved in the 20+ years I have lived in Seattle. Get Ron Judd off the fish count because at least he writes good columns.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Ian O'Connor is beside himself because Derek Jeter pulled a muscle.

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/columns/story?columnist=oconnor_ian&id=6658934

quote:

… if Jeter were available to comment after his MRI he surely would’ve said he would return to the lineup the only way he knows how—ASAP. No captain who busted up his cover-boy face on a teeth-first dive into the stands against Boston in 2004 and then played against the Mets the following night would ever allow a silly little calf strain to keep him down for long … It was something that reminded all witnesses of Jeter’s extensive wear and tear, and of a noble willingness to play hurt that reminded Monahan of certified ruffians the likes of Thurman Munson.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Captain Charisma posted:

Ian O'Connor is beside himself because Derek Jeter pulled a muscle.

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/columns/story?columnist=oconnor_ian&id=6658934
Ian O'Connor strikes me as the kind of guy who just looks like a dickhead.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
I hope A-Rod strains a calf tonight, so we can do a compare-and-contrast.

Zifnab
Aug 21, 2005

Hope Springs Eternal

seiferguy posted:

On the plus side, he is literally never right and I look forward to Ichrio hitting .350 from here on out :v:

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Zifnab posted:

On the plus side, he is literally never right and I look forward to Ichrio hitting .350 from here on out :v:

IIRC he is a notoriously slow starter and this season is (hopefully) just an extension of his normal "i need four months to hit like i'm the beast that i am" trait

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

IIRC he is a notoriously slow starter and this season is (hopefully) just an extension of his normal "i need four months to hit like i'm the beast that i am" trait

Ichiro's worst OPS by month is in April but his best is in May and his second best is in June. This is all probably noise anyway.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
Grant Brisbee knows how to write a metaphor.

quote:

The Pirates won’t get a flag for finishing over .500, but they’d avoid another patch on the quilt of shame.

Also, the thesis of that article is "the Pirates should be in win-now mode...except when they shouldn't. I guess GMing is hard!"

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/6657523/so-cricket-maybe

I didn't know Schur was writing for Grantland, but hey! Here he is.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Crosspost from the NBA thread, but here's a great piece on Dirk and what his championship means.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Deathlove posted:

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/6657523/so-cricket-maybe

I didn't know Schur was writing for Grantland, but hey! Here he is.

It was good until they went into "cricket actually sucks" mode.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

zakharov posted:

Well....

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

zakharov posted:

I never got "it sucks", more "holy poo poo this game is long and one of us is on vicodin". (which they could've stood to mention about 200% less)

And now I know what the duck means!

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

zakharov posted:

But this is the first thing I have ever seen/read that successfully taught me the how cricket works.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Drew Magary does not like LeBron James.

quote:

LeBron James Is STILL A Cocksucker

Avatar for Drew Magary Drew Magary —LeBron James Is STILL A Cocksucker If you missed last night's schaudenfreudegasm with LeBron and the Heat getting lane-raped by J.J. Barea for 48 minutes, oh how you missed out. There hasn't been a more gratifying moment for sports haters since the Saints beat Favre and Manning back-to-back in the NFC title game and Super Bowl. It was glorious, delirious, WONDERFUL moment in hating. And the best part is that, come next year, we get to do it all over again!

Because what's hosed with LeBron James isn't going to be unfucked. Everything that made him a complete cocksucker last summer is still there: the arrogance, the dismissiveness, the incredible lack of self-awareness. LeBron holds onto those qualities as if they were his own kin, or whichever kin of his hasn't been banging Delonte West. And he's never gonna shed them. Was it LeBron's fault that the Heat didn't win? Of course not. That was all God and poo poo. Did any of LeBron's critics have a point? Of course not. They were just people presumably suffering from unemployment and/or alcoholism:

"All the people that was rooting on me to fail, at the end of the day they have to wake up tomorrow and have the same life that they had before they woke up today," James said. "They have the same personal problems they had today."

So true. Maybe you hate LeBron because you still can't accept the fact that you murdered that dockworker back in 1982. Can't you see how YOU'RE the one with the problem here?

Everyone is piling on LeBron right now, and it's easy to see why Craggs and the like might get a little starchy when they read editorial after editorial about teamwork winning out over selfishness and character winning over talent and all those horrible magic unicorns that white sportswriters just love to toss out to the easily scandalized. But you know what? Sometimes, those fusty old columnists choose their targets CORRECTLY. Sometimes, they get it right, if only by sheer luck.

Because there's nothing wrong with rooting for LeBron James to fail. It says nothing bad about you as a person to wish ill upon someone who is monstrously talented yet at the same time is also a world-class dipshit. LeBron James has never been arrested or caught with naughty drugs or done anything explicitly "immoral," I suppose. But that doesn't matter, because he's still a piece of poo poo anyway. His reaction in the wake of losing last night was even more predictable than his on-court meltdown. His personal blind spot is as large as Lenny Dykstra's or Charlie Sheen's. Take a look at this tweet from radio host Holden Kushner, who spoke with Dr. Jack Ramsay earlier today about LeBron:

Dr. Jack tells us that LeBron didn't talk to ABC & ESPN b/c James felt the network didn't report "The Decision" accurately.

LeBron James Is STILL A Cocksucker

Think about it how hosed in the head you have to be to enter that kind of mindset. LeBron had complete control over The Decision, and was given a platform that ESPN has NEVER given any other person and never will. They gave LeBron so much freedom for that broadcast that it caused the entire network to questions its own principles. [Ed.'s note: Maybe they didn't.] And yet … they were loving unfair? Is it ever wrong to hate someone who thinks this way? NO. No, it is not. Not only is it okay to hate LeBron, but it's a loving character flaw on your part if you do not.

There's no such thing as going overboard when it comes to enjoying LeBron's failure. Now, if he were the kind of person to sit at the podium after losing a game and say, "I really thought we were the better team, but we lost and we're gonna have to go back and work on it until we get it right, and I wish I hadn't been such a dipshit before," all that fun would instantly go away, because LeBron would be behaving like a normal human being. It's not fun to keep poking fun at someone once they learn to take the heat. But LeBron possesses a certain social retardation that forbids him from coming to such obvious conclusions about himself. That's why people get so frustrated with James. Because he's constantly acting like an entitled fuckwit and you're constantly saying, "How? How can he not SEE that he's acting like an entitled fuckwit?" And he doesn't! He totally doesn't. It seems virtually impossible that someone could be so oblivious, and yet here we are. And NOTHING has changed about the man. If anything, he's gotten even worse.

LeBron is always going to be a failure because, in his mind, failure isn't failing. He's already King James (Seriously, he loving announces it to people when sending a text.), and that is a title that, to him, is far better than "Six-Time NBA Champion" or whatever other title outsiders expect from him. He's the perfect bad guy because he's never going to change his ways. And that doesn't say anything about us, or about America, or about racism, or about any of that bullshit. It just says that LeBron is a cocksucker. And that he will always be.

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE

GoutPatrol posted:

But this is the first thing I have ever seen/read that successfully taught me the how cricket works.

that, and it's the first time I've heard someone admit in a public forum that cricket does indeed suck. I thought that piece was really funny, especially their initial shock to what the hell is happening.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

GoutPatrol posted:

The first thing I think of when I hear "Cricket" is this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0jPaTmWF5I
There's a tiny clip of this in Take Him to the Greek, this is the full skit.

Now that I have a rough idea of how the game is played, I think of this: http://www.videodetective.com/movies/trailers/the-fantastic-mr-fox-whack-bat-trailer/533796

They cut off the end of the play though. And The Fantastic Mr. Fox rules.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Cricket owns and you all need to watch a game surrounded by rowdy Indians if you don't agree

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Crazy Ted posted:

Drew Magary does not like LeBron James.

I think why I don't buy into the Lebron hate at all is that I automatically assume the majority of athletes are basically megalomaniacal self-entitled assholes who are unbelievably narcissistic. I just figure they lie to the media during press conferences and interviews when they "say the right thing" and whatnot. I actually find it refreshing that Lebron just acts like himself and doesn't hide behind a wall of bullshit and boring platitudes and cliches. It's cool that he says spiteful and vindictive crap after losing a huge playoff series - that's how most athletes would feel, after all, for gently caress's sake.

Bizob
Dec 18, 2004

Tiger out of nowhere!
A line for the ages from Chris Jones about last night's Bruins victory:

Chris Jones posted:

Plenty of Canadians would have been rooting for Boston last night because, contrary to international opinion, we have our fair share of assholes up here, too.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
re: Grantland

The site looks very good so far, and I'm impressed by it. The piece on The National was literally one of the best things I've read in a very long time; the information about Deford and making GBS threads on Mike Lupica had me enthralled the whole time. I really enjoyed Klosterman's piece on the JC basketball game in North Dakota as well. The fact that they let Simmons curse himself a blue streak is also appealing.

I have not touched any of the pop culture stuff (except the HBO recycling piece, which was interesting but ultimately fluffy) because that does not interest me. I also thought Jay Caspian Kang's piece on Ichiro was a 5,000-word exercise in how to produce fascinating vignettes that do not tie together well at all.

So far, so good. Looking forward to reading more.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

I have not touched any of the pop culture stuff (except the HBO recycling piece, which was interesting but ultimately fluffy) because that does not interest me.

You haven't missed much (except for the LA Noire piece, which was excellent).

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

This is not bad or good sportswriting but instead an example of the scourge of journalist on journalist legal violence.

quote:

ESPN's Chris Sheridan has sued New York Post writer Peter Vescey over an article Vescey wrote in December of 2010 for the post.

Vecsey's article argued that the New York Knicks did not have a good chance of obtaining basketball player Carmelo Anthony from the Denver Nuggets and called Sheridan's reporting the "latest fairy tale" derived from the "same fountains of misinformation that frequently play make-believe with ESPN's Chris Sheridan." Sheridan had reported on ESPN.com two days earlier that if Anthony were to be traded from the Nuggets, he would only agree to sign a contract extension if he was traded to the Knicks. Sheridan cited an anonymous source.

Anthony was indeed traded to the Knicks in February, an event that Sheridan's lawsuit humbly describes as "one of the most important stories in New York City basketball over the past forty (40) years."

Sheridan claims that Vecsey was motivated by his "historic malice towards Mr. Sheridan" and "fabricated an entirely false and sustained tirade against Mr. Sheridan." Sheridan claims he demanded a retraction from Vecsey and the New York Post on April 7, but that they did not respond.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

morestuff posted:

You haven't missed much (except for the LA Noire piece, which was excellent).

Bissell hit it out of the park with "I wondered if the single most damning thing about video games is the fact that one could argue, legitimately, that 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand is a better game than L.A. Noire."

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Anyone else getting a placeholder page instead of Grantland?

edit: the link from the ESPN main page works but grantland.com is expired

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
I heard their server was down earlier, but it's working for me.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Anyone else getting a placeholder page instead of Grantland?

edit: the link from the ESPN main page works but grantland.com is expired

GGrantland.com is taking be to some typed-the-wrong-address type commercial site too.

edit- oh there's the note in the corner about the site expiring 6/13/11?

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
A high profile pet project website ran by a major media conglomerate forgot to update their domain that expired under a month after the hyped launch of said website. :cawg:

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

People say we suck at sports but they don't understand
It's hard to catch with holes right through your hands

Groucho Marxist posted:

A high profile pet project website ran by a major media conglomerate forgot to update their domain that expired under a month after the hyped launch of said website. :cawg:

It says that the site expired in 2008 when I load it.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Simmons tweeted that it was a server issue

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
Site never went down for me. I have to say that once Simmons was able to get out from under being ESPN's Bill Simmons, The Sports Guy, he has continued to be the exact same writer.

So I'm pretty excited about all the other people contributing to the site, who have been mostly excellent. I even liked Jimmy Kimmel's article.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Badfinger posted:

Site never went down for me. I have to say that once Simmons was able to get out from under being ESPN's Bill Simmons, The Sports Guy, he has continued to be the exact same writer.

He gets to swear now! But yeah, if you read his first book, he was the exact same guy before he got to ESPN, so it's not too surprising that he hasn't changed. The rest of the site is really good though, so at least he has a eye for talent.

SporkOfTruth
Sep 1, 2006

this kid walked up to me and was like man schmitty your stache is ghetto and I was like whatever man your 3b look like a dishrag.

he was like damn.
So, uh, that article about "baggy uniforms and the post-steroid era" was supposed to be parody right?

I mean, I can't imagine that this:

quote:

What proliferates across the sport now is the same discomfort with sartorial common sense that afflicts men across the country. There are bankers, doctors, and attorneys who arrive at the office looking like Casey McGehee in the sixth inning. There are men McGehee-ing at weddings and on second dates.
is the "serious long-form prose" Simmons is trying to encourage. Stylistically, maybe, but the subject matter and how it's approached comes off like a catty Vogue article at best.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
I looked up the guy and he writes about uniforms and stuff on his personal blog (which I assume is what he was recruited from, not his film reviews) so...who knows?

Fashion writing is mostly terrible because it's super classist and elitist and has very narrow views on acceptable vs not.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Is it Paul Lukas? I can't see because Grantland still doesn't work for me. He digs up a lot of great information on uniform design and manufacturing and minutae but his opinions are pretty awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SporkOfTruth
Sep 1, 2006

this kid walked up to me and was like man schmitty your stache is ghetto and I was like whatever man your 3b look like a dishrag.

he was like damn.

ElwoodCuse posted:

Is it Paul Lukas? I can't see because Grantland still doesn't work for me. He digs up a lot of great information on uniform design and manufacturing and minutae but his opinions are pretty awful.

No, it's Wesley Morris, a reviewer for the Boston Globe who makes tons of catty comments on his blog about sports-related fashion (like leo said).

leokitty posted:

Fashion writing is mostly terrible because it's super classist and elitist and has very narrow views on acceptable vs not.

This is the vibe I got from that article, along with a lot of creepy pseudo-fetishizing of muscly guys (that would still be creepy regardless of the author's gender, btw).