Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Execu-speak
Jun 2, 2011

Welcome to the real world hippies!
I remember this old NES game I had when I was a kid where you were a scientist running around maze like levels manipulating pipes etc to get out. It had really good two player and I think it also was one of the games that also used the little robot thing for the NES.

Can't for the life of me remember the name though, it was tons of fun and I played the poo poo out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Execu-speak posted:

I remember this old NES game I had when I was a kid where you were a scientist running around maze like levels manipulating pipes etc to get out. It had really good two player and I think it also was one of the games that also used the little robot thing for the NES.

Can't for the life of me remember the name though, it was tons of fun and I played the poo poo out of it.

This has to be Gyromite.

Erasmus Darwin
Mar 6, 2001

Dr_Amazing posted:

This was a commadore 64 game. The first level was a 2D cut away of a building allowing you to see the different rooms. You started near the top and there was another character running around at the bottom trying to catch you. There was a copier or something on the 2nd floor that could drop papers out of the window causing the second character to run over and gather them up. I could never figure out a way to dump the papers and get downstairs before the badguy came after me.

Is this it? http://www.mobygames.com/game/cpc/goonies_/screenshots/gameShotId,227396/

That's Datasoft's The Goonies, based on the movie and not to be confused with Konami's various games that were also based on the movie.

(The copier was supposed to be a printing press churning out counterfeit money.)

Zvezda
Dec 12, 2009

duckfarts posted:

That first one's gotta be Big Red Racing, because it's ringing a bell for me too. Apparently there's a lot of other vehicles you can use if you actually bought the game instead of playing the poo poo out of the demo like everybody.

Sombrerotron posted:

Sounds like Plane Crazy.

Holy crap I love you guys, that's it! It's been bugging me for YEARS. Ahaha haha now to regress to being 8yrs old.

Jiefu
Mar 14, 2011

Don't smoke cigarettes, kids. You'll turn into a piece of bread.

Don't ask how.

Funkmaster General posted:

Out to Lunch

Yes, thank you very much. Now I just have to figure out why on Earth my parents bought that for me.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Erasmus Darwin posted:

Is this it? http://www.mobygames.com/game/cpc/goonies_/screenshots/gameShotId,227396/

That's Datasoft's The Goonies, based on the movie and not to be confused with Konami's various games that were also based on the movie.

(The copier was supposed to be a printing press churning out counterfeit money.)

This is definitely it. I can't believe anyone got it from that description so fast.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Dr_Amazing posted:

This was a commadore 64 game. The first level was a 2D cut away of a building allowing you to see the different rooms. You started near the top and there was another character running around at the bottom trying to catch you. There was a copier or something on the 2nd floor that could drop papers out of the window causing the second character to run over and gather them up. I could never figure out a way to dump the papers and get downstairs before the badguy came after me.

This sounds remarkably like the 1st level of the Goonies game on C64. The copier in the attic is actually a machine making counterfeit money, and the character on the bottom is one of the crooks from the Goonies, chasing your character, one of the children, and you can use that copier to thus distract him, allowing you to complete the level.

Later levels similarly revolved around such gimmicks in a pretty fun platformer for the era, and of notable quality to be a licensed product back in the era when that was still a kiss of death.

e.f.b. whatever.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Can't believe I found this thread, I knew it existed so I didn't want to start my own topic for this.

For years I've been trying to remember the name of a game I played as a kid on I believe the genisis, could have been nes, not sure.

Everyone I've described the game to says it's strider, but I've watched some vids on youtube and although very similar it's totally not it. The game is very strider like, in plot, graphics, and gameplay.

All I can remember is a brief cutscene at the start about some ancient demon or alien overlord or something coming (back?) to earth and conquering it, and now it's up to you. The first level was on a big cargo ship or something, there are parts where the level goes up and down as if the ship was in a storm. You could wall jump, had a sword, had throwing-star type things as well. The last level was a big huge elevator going up, at the end of which you fought the LAST BOSS.

I've asked about this game a few times on the internet and never gotten a good answer. Can anyone help me out?

pud
Jul 9, 2001

Baronjutter posted:

Can't believe I found this thread, I knew it existed so I didn't want to start my own topic for this.

For years I've been trying to remember the name of a game I played as a kid on I believe the genisis, could have been nes, not sure.

Everyone I've described the game to says it's strider, but I've watched some vids on youtube and although very similar it's totally not it. The game is very strider like, in plot, graphics, and gameplay.

All I can remember is a brief cutscene at the start about some ancient demon or alien overlord or something coming (back?) to earth and conquering it, and now it's up to you. The first level was on a big cargo ship or something, there are parts where the level goes up and down as if the ship was in a storm. You could wall jump, had a sword, had throwing-star type things as well. The last level was a big huge elevator going up, at the end of which you fought the LAST BOSS.

I've asked about this game a few times on the internet and never gotten a good answer. Can anyone help me out?

Sounds like Shadow of the Ninja for the nes.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

THANK YOU!! I knew it was something with ninja in it and not ninja gaiden. Awesome thanks

orf
May 30, 2010
Someone was talking to me today about random PC games from the past and we got stuck on one he mentioned...
Here are the things he remembered:

- RTS, probably from the mid to late 90s (he said he played it around the same time as Lords of the Realm II)
- fantasy/medieval in setting
- units were all human but were poorly made and they were all super muscular and disproportionately huge
- there were like science/tech towers
- priests that could convert other units.
- he believes it had an isometric POV

Any ideas?

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
Ok,

A really old Mac rpg - I played it sometime around 1998 and I think it was at least a few years old even then. It was top-down 2d with animated sprites for monsters (though graphics showed front profile rather than directly overhead for everything but landscape, like the shining force games). Every movement caused time to advance one turn for everything - so all monsters moved exactly one space only when you moved one space. There was no attack button - you had to stand right next to a monster and press the move key towards it.

I believe it starts with a shipwreck (or at least the demo started with a shipwreck), leaving you at the northwest of a big island. Nearby, there were two blobby red monsters that may have been called goblins (the graphics were not the best). There may have been a temple of wind somewhere on the island with a portal that ended the demo.

Any ideas?

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

orf posted:

Someone was talking to me today about random PC games from the past and we got stuck on one he mentioned...

- RTS, probably from the mid to late 90s (he said he played it around the same time as Lords of the Realm II)
- units were all human but were poorly made and they were all super muscular and disproportionately huge

Any ideas?

Sounds pretty much like Age of Empires.

quote:

Wololo

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

orf posted:

Any ideas?

Another good guess would be Populous: The Beginning. See if he recalls whether it was 2D or 3D.

orf
May 30, 2010
It's not AoE or Populous -- seems to be much more obscure. He says that there are no different races, per say -- just palette swapped humans. He also states that it was 2D & isometric

EDIT: Actually we just figured it out, thanks to a bit of digging through Mobygames. It was Seven Kingdoms Ancient Adversaries.

orf fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jun 8, 2011

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Rollersnake posted:

Mysterium?

Yes, thats it! Thank you!

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Forever_Peace posted:

Ok,

A really old Mac rpg - I played it sometime around 1998 and I think it was at least a few years old even then. It was top-down 2d with animated sprites for monsters (though graphics showed front profile rather than directly overhead for everything but landscape, like the shining force games). Every movement caused time to advance one turn for everything - so all monsters moved exactly one space only when you moved one space. There was no attack button - you had to stand right next to a monster and press the move key towards it.

I believe it starts with a shipwreck (or at least the demo started with a shipwreck), leaving you at the northwest of a big island. Nearby, there were two blobby red monsters that may have been called goblins (the graphics were not the best). There may have been a temple of wind somewhere on the island with a portal that ended the demo.

Any ideas?

I'd say that it was almost definitely Odyssey: Legend of Nemesis, except that game definitely had an attack button and the monsters at the beginning of the game aren't red and blobby, they were green. But other than that it sounds really close--top down 2d, animated sprites, starts with a shipwreck and leaves you at the northwest corner of a big island.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Looking for the name of an old Mac game.

It was a tank battle game with some different game modes, like capture the flag.

It was all black screen with white geometric lines serving as a faux 3D game.

kzin602
May 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Loving Life Partner posted:

Looking for the name of an old Mac game.

It was a tank battle game with some different game modes, like capture the flag.

It was all black screen with white geometric lines serving as a faux 3D game.

Spectre or one of it's sequels?
If it was running on older/slower hardware it would not fill in the shapes and you'd have battle-zone style outlines.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEH4QoS4Z2g
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spectre_(video_game)

msinclair
Dec 17, 2010
I've been thinking about this all day and I can't for the life of me remember the name of the game, or even the gameplay. It was either a PS2 or PSX game (probably PSX). And the only thing I remember is that one of the friendly characters gets frozen/turned to stone while trying to escape from a forest or something like that.

Maybe I'm making stuff up but that's all I remember.

dregan
Jan 16, 2005

I could transport you all into space if I wanted.

msinclair posted:

I've been thinking about this all day and I can't for the life of me remember the name of the game, or even the gameplay. It was either a PS2 or PSX game (probably PSX). And the only thing I remember is that one of the friendly characters gets frozen/turned to stone while trying to escape from a forest or something like that.

Maybe I'm making stuff up but that's all I remember.

Final Fantasy 9? This video has a forest escape and a guy being turned to stone.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!
Does anyone remember a Heroes of Might and Magic clone that was set in Viking times?

Orv
May 4, 2011
I sincerely doubt this will be answered. I'm convinced it was some sort of fever dream, but. . .

Vaguely MMO-ish

Vaguely Tribes-ish

You were able to build a personal base (you had robots of various sorts to build it in an RTS perspective)

Hoverboards?

You could gather a group of players and go raid other peoples bases/PVP, FPS-style.

Sierra may have been involved, perhaps?

No earthly idea of a name, or year. Probably sometime in the late 90's/early 2000 range.

Again, I've utterly given up hope of anyone else remembering this, but maybe, just maybe.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Orv posted:

I sincerely doubt this will be answered. I'm convinced it was some sort of fever dream, but. . .

Vaguely MMO-ish

Vaguely Tribes-ish

You were able to build a personal base (you had robots of various sorts to build it in an RTS perspective)

Hoverboards?

You could gather a group of players and go raid other peoples bases/PVP, FPS-style.

No earthly idea of a name, or year. Probably sometime in the late 90's/early 2000 range.

Again, I've utterly given up hope of anyone else remembering this, but maybe, just maybe.

Was it Battlezone? Battlezone was a hover-tank FPS-RTS space game with a multiplayer mode.

Psychorider
May 15, 2009

HoldYourFire posted:

Does anyone remember a Heroes of Might and Magic clone that was set in Viking times?

There's Hammer of the Gods, which inspired the creation of Heroes of Might and Magic according to Wikipedia.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

Was it Battlezone? Battlezone was a hover-tank FPS-RTS space game with a multiplayer mode.

No, it wasn't. I loved Battlezone, though.

This had a patch-launcher and a login/account and everything.

msinclair
Dec 17, 2010

dregan posted:

Final Fantasy 9? This video has a forest escape and a guy being turned to stone.

Haha yes that's it, thanks.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Orv posted:

Vaguely MMO-ish

Vaguely Tribes-ish

Hoverboards?

I can't search right now, but i think it was like 4^10 or four-ten or some weird number thing for the name(supposed to represent the number of players that could play or something), and was a very early MMOish game where you run around on the hoverboards fighting for territory for one of 4 factions/companies. Its advertising hook was that fighting would be happening 24/7, even when you're offline, so you need to team up to hold territory.

Edit: found the name; is your game 10six?

duckfarts fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Jun 18, 2011

Orv
May 4, 2011

duckfarts posted:

I can't search right now, but i think it was like 4^10 or four-ten or some weird number thing for the name(supposed to represent the number of players that could play or something), and was a very early MMOish game where you run around on the hoverboards fighting for territory for one of 4 factions/companies. Its advertising hook was that fighting would be happening 24/7, even when you're offline, so you need to team up to hold territory.

Edit: found the name; is your game 10six?

Good god, that's it! Wow. . .thanks for that, it's just a shame it's no use. :v: Man, it's good to know I'm not completely insane. Thanks!

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

Psychorider posted:

There's Hammer of the Gods, which inspired the creation of Heroes of Might and Magic according to Wikipedia.

Yep, that's the one, thanks!

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

I'm looking for a PS2 game that I remembered out of nowhere last night. I don't remember the story but for the gameplay, it was a third person hack and slash game where you could summon monsters to fight for you. You'd pick 2 of them before the mission I think, then you could use them on that one. There was archers, swordsmen, bombs...I don't remember the others but there was one called Thanatos I think that you were looking for the pieces of throughout the game.

I think your guy had red hair.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Ok guys I've got a tough one, well maybe tough.

I remember way back in maybe the 90's or early 2000's I had a PC gamer demo CD. On it was some interesting game where you built and controlled huge floating castles that did battle with each other. There was a designer where you'd build your sky-castle-airship thingy, and then you'd fly around shooting or ramming others. It was just a demo but I remember really enjoying it back in the day and would love to find the full version.

Anyone have any ideas?

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Baronjutter posted:

Ok guys I've got a tough one, well maybe tough.

I remember way back in maybe the 90's or early 2000's I had a PC gamer demo CD. On it was some interesting game where you built and controlled huge floating castles that did battle with each other. There was a designer where you'd build your sky-castle-airship thingy, and then you'd fly around shooting or ramming others. It was just a demo but I remember really enjoying it back in the day and would love to find the full version.

Anyone have any ideas?
Stratosphere: Conquest of the Skies.

This seems to come up almost as often as Return Fire. :shobon:

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

Thievery posted:

I'm looking for a PS2 game that I remembered out of nowhere last night. I don't remember the story but for the gameplay, it was a third person hack and slash game where you could summon monsters to fight for you. You'd pick 2 of them before the mission I think, then you could use them on that one. There was archers, swordsmen, bombs...I don't remember the others but there was one called Thanatos I think that you were looking for the pieces of throughout the game.

I think your guy had red hair.

Chaos Legion. The link is to an LP.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

MMAgCh posted:

Could the OP stand to have an FAQ, or is that crazy?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

MMAgCh posted:

Sorry to re-ask like that. drat, it's not on GOG and all the old reviews of the game aren't so good. Probably not worth trying to find...

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Doc Hawkins posted:

Could the OP stand to have an FAQ, or is that crazy?

Aren't there usually 2+ such threads active at any time anyway? Kinda defeats the point unless you get all the OPs to do so.

General Ledger
Dec 23, 2007

COYI
This one is kind of obscure - there is a freeware adventure game that was released in the mid 2000s that featured classic lucasarts style artwork and interface, it was text only for speech.

All i can remember was that the first part of the game was set in the arctic and you played a scientist that had been dropped off at an outpost that had come across some alien artifacts. In the second act of the game, using some sort of alien mask your character is transported to another world.

The game was quite difficult and was criticised for having an overly complex story for the length of the game.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Barrelfox posted:

This one is kind of obscure - there is a freeware adventure game that was released in the mid 2000s that featured classic lucasarts style artwork and interface, it was text only for speech.

All i can remember was that the first part of the game was set in the arctic and you played a scientist that had been dropped off at an outpost that had come across some alien artifacts. In the second act of the game, using some sort of alien mask your character is transported to another world.

The game was quite difficult and was criticised for having an overly complex story for the length of the game.

Was this standalone or a ScummVM (the engine for a lot of those old LucasArts games) game? http://www.scummvm.org/ sounds like something you'd like, either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Ledger
Dec 23, 2007

COYI

chairface posted:

Was this standalone or a ScummVM (the engine for a lot of those old LucasArts games) game? http://www.scummvm.org/ sounds like something you'd like, either way.

I'm pretty sure it was a standalone game - the ScummVM library is awesome though, I've been playing through The Dig today, I'll do Full Throttle on Sunday (when I bought these two in the first place years back they came together as a double pack.)

I have a feeling the game I'm looking for may have been natively in German and then released in English at the same time. It was certainly freeware.

• Locked thread