Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Dramatika posted:

Did it seem to anyone else that Tan was burning atium? Would atium even exist any more, or is it gone forever after it was all used at the end of Hero of the Ages?

I don't know if it was atium per se, since though there could be some left from Zane's caches, and I think Marsh has some extra, I doubt it would be enough for someone to realize they're an Atium misting. From the line about seeing God/Death/The Survivvor, though, he might have some sort of secondhand use of whatever Ruin powered Atium with.

Haraksha posted:

The thing with Western and Victorian is that they occurred at the same time. The fancy cities, such as Elend, are going to have a Victorian feel, and the rugged outskirts, like Weathering, will have the more Old West vibe.

The men at the party were described as wearing suits with tailcoats, and the women had "narrow waists and dresses with many folds". That comes across as way more Victorian than the Western duster he was wearing while out in the Roughs.

So, yes, it has both, but that's not surprising given that the two worlds existed at the same time. Wax is our guy who's caught between them.
Yeah, when I posted that I somehow hadn't realized there was another chapter up besides the prologue. Chapter 1 was pretty Victorian-esque. I'm kind of getting a vague Arcanum vibe from the mix of the magic and the technology, though I'd love to see more of a western focus. I'm not usually big on steampunk/victorian stuff. It looks like it could be pretty cool, though, and the twinborn combinations are a nice trade for not having any mistborn anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
Is it really steampunk though? The only engines described so far run off oil. Do people keep referring to this as steampunk due to the cover art or was there something in the story I missed?

So far we have gun powder, electricity and combustion engines right?

vvv yea its been referred to as steampunk almost everywhere I look just didn't know why, if Brandon referred to it as steampunk thats the answer right there. Also the victorian era thing you mentioned as well.

Clinton1011 fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jun 16, 2011

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I thought Sanderson himself referred to it as steampunk. I've only been calling it that because other people have. Steampunk is heavily based on Victorian aesthetic, though. So anything that's Victorian plus MAGIC ends up getting categorized as steampunk, even if it isn't technically.

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.

Gain 20 Pounds posted:

There's a quick exchange between Wax and Lessie in the prologue that immediately made me think of those dreadful Shallan witticims in Way of Kings.

But otherwise it was great and I'm excited for November.

I'm reading Wok for the first time and I just got to another one of these:

Someone: "You've got quite a mouth on you sometimes."
Shallan: "Only sometimes? Where is it the rest of the time?"

*pounds face into desk*

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Haraksha posted:

Just to be more specific on Wit, I felt when he was hurling insults, they were terribly unfunny and often painful to read.

Yeah this, I cringed hard when Wit made that stupid "Me: insults, You: in-sluts" jab. Also whenever Sanderson makes his characters use language that doesn't fit the time period, I start feeling like I'm reading anime fanfiction.

Oh hello trying-too-hard Wit quote:
“Ah, my dear Brightlord Taselin. Still engaged in your experiment to prove a maximum threshold of human idiocy? Good for you! Very empirical of you.”
“Wit, do you have to?”
“Two what, Dalinar? Eyes, hands, or spheres? I’d lend you one of the first, but—by definition—a man can only have one 'I', and if it is given away, who would be Wit then? I’d lend you one of the second, but I fear my simple hands have been digging in the muck far too often to suit one such as you. And if I gave you one of my spheres, what would I spend the remaining one on? I’m quite attached to both of my spheres, you see. Or, well, you can’t see. Would you like to?” He stood up off his chair and reached for his belt.

Oh come on, really?

LentThem fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jun 17, 2011

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Is that seriously a quote? Oh, god. Enough to make me miss gratuitous sex and swearing.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Like I said, you strip out the world building and that's what you're left with.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

LentThem posted:

Yeah this, I cringed hard when Wit made that stupid "Me: insults, You: in-sluts" jab. Also whenever Sanderson makes his characters use language that doesn't fit the time period, I start feeling like I'm reading anime fanfiction.

Well, Wit is allowed to use out-of-context/timeframe stuff as he is Hoid after all

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
It doesn't matter if he's allowed anachronisms if the writing is cheesy regardless.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Is it even an anachronism? The world obviously has a very rich scientific culture, even if it is (at least in the regions we have seen) limited to women. Experiment, Treshold, Empirical should be completely fine words for them, even if not for the illiterate men.

Gain 20 Pounds
Nov 11, 2007

Not all of Sanderson's dialogue is cheesy and awkward. Just his attempts at humor. It makes me wonder if he has no sense of humor in real life and is just trying to emulate witty banter he's heard in other places.

All you people who met him at book signings and played Magic with him and stuff: is he funny at all in real life?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Decius posted:

Is it even an anachronism? The world obviously has a very rich scientific culture, even if it is (at least in the regions we have seen) limited to women. Experiment, Treshold, Empirical should be completely fine words for them, even if not for the illiterate men.

I wasn't saying it was. You said Wit can say out of timeframe stuff and I said it doesn't matter what he's allowed to say because it's still terribly awkward when Sanderson tries to be funny.

I've never really cared if characters used words that weren't setting appropriate if it helped the story.

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.

Gain 20 Pounds posted:

Not all of Sanderson's dialogue is cheesy and awkward. Just his attempts at humor. It makes me wonder if he has no sense of humor in real life and is just trying to emulate witty banter he's heard in other places.

All you people who met him at book signings and played Magic with him and stuff: is he funny at all in real life?

I'm not sure if being funny in real life always correlates to being funny in writing. I've met a lot of people whose style of humor was very off the cuff and not planned at all and were hilarious, but if you asked them to sit down and write a joke they'd fail miserably.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Gain 20 Pounds posted:

If you listen to his podcast he can be funny when he's with friends but he strikes me as the kind of guy who's just nerdy enough to rely more on in-jokes with friends than more accessible, genuine humor. Not necessarily a bad thing since what dork hasn't gone for a Futurama quote when they couldn't think of something on their own, it just means he's not going to be doing a twenty city comedy tour any time soon.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

LentThem posted:

Oh hello trying-too-hard Wit quote:

Oh come on, really?

I think my brain must have shut off when I was actually reading that in the books because holy poo poo that is awful.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

Haraksha posted:

Like I said, you strip out the world building and that's what you're left with.

Well, that's a little strong, I think. The serious dialogue isn't bad, it's just when he has characters who are supposed to be funny but, well, aren't. It reminds me of Studio 60, where everyone said what comic geniuses the in-show showrunners are, but whenever we see a sketch or something they wrote it's really lame.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
Finished the first book, starting the second. I'm not sure how I feel about the books - as many people have pointed out, the dialogue's fairly wooden and the characters are nothing to shout about, but I shotgunned that book in two days.

Yeroc2
Aug 13, 2003

"The glow is the combination of all your past lives, focusing their energy through your body."
Grimey Drawer

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

Well, that's a little strong, I think. The serious dialogue isn't bad, it's just when he has characters who are supposed to be funny but, well, aren't. It reminds me of Studio 60, where everyone said what comic geniuses the in-show showrunners are, but whenever we see a sketch or something they wrote it's really lame.

I never got the feeling Wit was supposed to really be funny. He's just supposed to be blunt, and mostly annoying to everyone else because he can be. The joke is on everyone else, not in what he says.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

Yeroc2 posted:

I never got the feeling Wit was supposed to really be funny. He's just supposed to be blunt, and mostly annoying to everyone else because he can be. The joke is on everyone else, not in what he says.

I was talking more about Shallan. I didn't mind Wit.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Yeroc2 posted:

Wit's supposed to be vulgar and insulting without being truly offensive, AND his schtick is an act put on by an act. His more contemplative turn at the end is very nicely done.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Dramatika posted:

Did it seem to anyone else that Tan was burning atium? Would atium even exist any more, or is it gone forever after it was all used at the end of Hero of the Ages?

I was just looking through the preview again, and it says that Tan stole a shipment of bendalloy, which according to Wikipedia's mistborn article lets people compress time in a bubble around them, so that's probably what happened, actually.

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.
Finished WoK, and drat...Definitely his best so far. I'm sad that it's over and I don't have another book in the series to read. This is why I hate starting a series that only has one book in it.

Anyway, the last 100 pages were badass. Honestly, the story was way more uplifting in a generic, kind of cliched way, but that didn't stop it from being great. I guess I'm used to grittier, harsher books like Martin's/Erikson's/Abercrombie's, so when Kaladin went back to save Dalinar I almost cheered out loud. Partly because I was expecting them to say "gently caress it" and leave. Also, they would be raped.

It's not always a bad thing to write unrealistically in that sense...Heroes being heroes, etc. I like Sanderson's stuff quite a lot. Now that I'm basically done with everything he's written, I'll say this: He's a lot of fun. He's definitely not up there with the fantasy giants I mentioned up there, but he's also light years ahead of generic fantasy like Feist/Eddings/etc. "Safe" fantasy.

Anyway, great stuff. Can't wait for book 2. I need it NOW.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
“No, no assassins yet,” Wit said, amused. “I guess I’ve already got too much rear end sass of my own.”

Not a whit of wit with Wit

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.
Oh Christ, I'd forgotten about that one.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Maybe we should have an intervention. It's for his own good. Stick to the story telling please!

He's still better than Lucas.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
Okay, so I just finished the Well of Ascension...

Why did Vin give the power of the Well up? She had the power of a god, could stop the mists, could save Elend's life... and she gives it up because Elend wants her to? Yes, I know that something was changing the prophecies in order to MAKE people give it up (so that Ruin, or whatever, could be freed) but I don't exactly understand Vin's motivation when she did give it up.

Neep
Jan 2, 2003

Terrorist is Prohibited!!!

Chamberk posted:

Okay, so I just finished the Well of Ascension...

Why did Vin give the power of the Well up? She had the power of a god, could stop the mists, could save Elend's life... and she gives it up because Elend wants her to? Yes, I know that something was changing the prophecies in order to MAKE people give it up (so that Ruin, or whatever, could be freed) but I don't exactly understand Vin's motivation when she did give it up.

I assumed she gave it up because she didn't want to be like the lord ruler from the texts. Giving up power like that is a noble sacrifice right? I agree it wasn't too clear.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Sorry, spoilers. I got the order of the books confused.

ConfusedUs fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jun 25, 2011

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

ConfusedUs posted:

It's a tiny bit convoluted, but not terribly so.

Ruin, however, had corrupted the texts. Preservation had sacrificed itself to make a prison for Ruin. The well was what was left of Preservation's power.

I'm pretty sure this is a not insignificant spoiler for Hero Of Ages.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

ConfusedUs posted:

SPOILERS!

Seriously, Chamberk, don't read that.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Probably too early to get excited about it, but...

Brandon Sanderson's Twitter posted:

There has been some promising movement on a Mistborn video game lately. I'm afraid I can't say more yet, though.

Note that this (the game) is merely an offer/proposal we're considering. So nothing may happen. But the proposal impressed me.

Steal the Assasin's Creed engine, work Allomancy/Feruchemy/Hemalurgy into it, and off we go....

Game needs to take place 2 years before the events of the first book and start the game by playing as Kelsier crawling through the pits of Hasthin before he snapped. Then he could meet his mentor that never really got mentioned much in the books. Lots of his backstory could be explored and expanded upon with Brandon giving guidance along the way so it doesn't suck.

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jun 25, 2011

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Cartoon Man posted:

Probably too early to get excited about it, but...

Steal the Assasin's Creed engine, work Allomancy/Feruchemy/Hemalurgy into it, and off we go....

Game needs to take place 2 years before the events of the first book and start the game by playing as Kelsier crawling through the pits of Hasthin before he snapped. Then he could meet his mentor that never really got mentioned much in the books. Lots of his backstory could be explored and expanded upon with Brandon giving guidance along the way so it doesn't suck.

The Final Empire: Assassin's Creed
Well of Ascension: Tower Defense game
Hero of Ages: Command & Conquer, replace all mentions of Tiberium with Atium.
The Alloy of Law: Just remake Arcanum.

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

So don't. Stay here with me.
What would a Mistborn game have to offer that doesn't already exist in pretty much every action rpg/open world style game ever? Mana by any other name is still mana.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

reflir posted:

What would a Mistborn game have to offer that doesn't already exist in pretty much every action rpg/open world style game ever? Mana by any other name is still mana.

What does any game really offer that no game has ever done before? A game can be fun and use elements from existing games.

Of course it works the other way too: A game that has tons of original stuff can be complete crap to actual play.

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.

reflir posted:

By this logic, why write anything, make basically any music, or hell...Why even bother ever making any art again?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I feel like any sort of real time game would be a bitch to actually play just from a controls standpoint. I can't think of a good way to target which piece of metal to push/pull on, for instance. Id still probably end up at least trying to play the poo poo out of it, because it definitely has a lot of potential.

Maytag
Nov 4, 2006

it's enough that it all be filled with that majestic sadness that is the pleasure of tragedy.

A Nice Boy posted:

By this logic, why write anything, make basically any music, or hell...Why even bother ever making any art again?

One time I drank a bottle of Robitussin, vomited red fire, saw the universe, and realized that everything that could possibly ever be said had already been said and it was all empty ritual by this point so there was no longer any point in talking to anyone ever again.

It made me sad because I would have to fake it with my family since I loved them.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I feel like any sort of real time game would be a bitch to actually play just from a controls standpoint. I can't think of a good way to target which piece of metal to push/pull on, for instance. Id still probably end up at least trying to play the poo poo out of it, because it definitely has a lot of potential.

Use something akin to the grapplehook mechanism from Just Cause only make it a magic thing for push/pull on stuff, for other stuff it seems like it would be pretty straightforward toggling on modes (strength, tineye sense, etc) that would modify your regular jump/attack/whatever moves.

I don't know how you make it a game that appeals to the masses but the control scheme doesn't seem like it would be all that hard to nail down.

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

So don't. Stay here with me.

A Nice Boy posted:

The idea was great, but you're doing it wrong. To properly make your point you'd have to stop using something as ridiculously wasteful as an alphabet with 26 different characters and just type everything in 1s and 0s. Otherwise, good effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.

reflir posted:

The idea was great, but you're doing it wrong. To properly make your point you'd have to stop using something as ridiculously wasteful as an alphabet with 26 different characters and just type everything in 1s and 0s. Otherwise, good effort.

I liked you better a few years ago when you were the quirky Harry Potter guy I cheered for during that one TV show. :(