Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

900ftjesus posted:

Not really, it's definitely different. What I can't stand 120Hz LCD TVs, they look absolutely fake to me.

That's not 120hz TVs, that's the lovely filter crappy manufacturers put on by default. 120hz shouldn't effect regular programming, and won't do much more to a 24fps movie than smooth out a lot of jerky motion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Aren't smartphones the non-sero devices? :confused:

It made more sense back before all smartphones got the :10bux: - you had $30 SERO for dumbphones / WinMo 6.5, $40 SERO-P for non-premium smartphones that actually do things, and $50 SERO-P plus Premium for the Evo and Epic.

Today, it pretty much means:

$30/mo: Cell phone retirement home
$40/mo: Replenish sits here all alone
$50/mo: If you buy anything that is not an Evo or a Nexus you are doing it wrong

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

big mean giraffe posted:

That's not 120hz TVs, that's the lovely filter crappy manufacturers put on by default. 120hz shouldn't effect regular programming, and won't do much more to a 24fps movie than smooth out a lot of jerky motion.

That's kind of the problem, in my case at least. I've come to subconsciously expect that kind of motion with television and movie frame rates, and when a 120+ hz set smooths all that out, it looks really odd.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

If the Evo 3D screen looks as nice as the Evo I'll be happy enough. I always am blown away when someone pulls out there Evo. Even after seeing it dozens of times I still think it's a sticker when I first see it.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^The screen is better than the Evo 4G

sirbeefalot posted:

That's kind of the problem, in my case at least. I've come to subconsciously expect that kind of motion with television and movie frame rates, and when a 120+ hz set smooths all that out, it looks really odd.

This for sure, it looks too smooth somehow. This is looking at a TV at someone's house, not display models.

jfff
Oct 27, 2003
indeed
I'm currently on EPRP and my parents are looking to drop their dumbphones and move to smartphones. They are on another network but have no issue dropping network and switching to Sprint if the price is right(which it seems to be; $125 for 3 lines + my$10for4g). Can we go into a Sprint store and have them pick out phones(most likely the Optimus), and get added to my plan, or do EPRP related changes need to be done online?

I don't think either of them cares about 4g but should they hold off for fantastic phones that will be arriving soon?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
I think phones I'm general are plateauing, especially hardware wise. 2012 stuff may start looking even just more all the same. Evo 3d or nexus s, either is still a good buy. I still am not sold on upgrading from my evo, and considering I went through 10 devices in a year a bit ago, that's not bad.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

IOwnCalculus posted:

It made more sense back before all smartphones got the :10bux: - you had $30 SERO for dumbphones / WinMo 6.5, $40 SERO-P for non-premium smartphones that actually do things, and $50 SERO-P plus Premium for the Evo and Epic.

$50/mo: If you buy anything that is not an Evo or a Nexus you are doing it wrong

Damnit. I thought it was:

$30/mo: Cell phone retirement home maxing at TP2 (and the replenish for some reason)
$40/mo: Everything but Evo/Epic/Nexus
$50/mo: Evo/Epic/Nexus

This ruins my "get a midlevel Android device until they come out with a cellphone more powerful than my laptop in 8 months" plan.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

900ftjesus posted:

This for sure, it looks too smooth somehow. This is looking at a TV at someone's house, not display models.

That's because that setting's on by default from the manufacturer to turn regular poo poo into soap opera mode.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I'm almost positive that SERO-P accounts don't need the $10 unless its 4G.

jfff
Oct 27, 2003
indeed

jfff posted:

I'm currently on EPRP and my parents are looking to drop their dumbphones and move to smartphones. They are on another network but have no issue dropping network and switching to Sprint if the price is right(which it seems to be; $125 for 3 lines + my$10for4g). Can we go into a Sprint store and have them pick out phones(most likely the Optimus), and get added to my plan, or do EPRP related changes need to be done online?

I don't think either of them cares about 4g but should they hold off for fantastic phones that will be arriving soon?
Sorry to quote myself but I just had a very circular conversation with a Sprint Rep online and they told me that I had an "old plan"... Does Sprint charge an extra $10 for any smartphone now, not just the 4g phones?

I wish I had a Sero account :(

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

jfff posted:

Sorry to quote myself but I just had a very circular conversation with a Sprint Rep online and they told me that I had an "old plan"... Does Sprint charge an extra $10 for any smartphone now, not just the 4g phones?

I wish I had a Sero account :(

Sounds like you were in a third party store trying to get you to switch to a normal plan so they can sell you phones. Unless you get a nice discount its a trap. Just order the phones online to be safe.

And the only phone that doesn't have a $10 charge is the replenish, every other smartphone does, including blackberrys and the optimus.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe

900ftjesus posted:

I think I've outgrown the "just around the corner" syndrome. Or I can justify selling the 3D in 8 months and getting the Nexus 3 off contract.

I think I'll do this right here. Just get a new beefy phone and be done with it.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

RodShaft posted:

$30/mo: Cell phone retirement home maxing at TP2 (and the replenish for some reason)

This ruins my "get a midlevel Android device until they come out with a cellphone more powerful than my laptop in 8 months" plan.

I think it is. I'm on $40/mo SERO with a BB Bold 9650. Have been since I switched to Sprint.

EDIT:

TITTIEKISSER69 fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jun 18, 2011

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

RodShaft posted:

That's how it used to be, prior to putting all smartphones into premium data

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

That's how it used to be, prior to putting all smartphones into premium data

I'll look into this tomorrow when I get to work, but I'm pretty sure you're wrong. SERO-P aren't regular consumer plans and are exempt from premium data unless its 4G.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

This isn't quite right. When sprint decided to apply the premium data fee to all smartphones instead of just 4g (a few months ago), that's the change that doesn't apply to sero.

Sero is:
$30 -- dumbphones/winmo6
$40 -- 3g smartphones
$50 -- 4g smartphones

I'm paying 40 for an optimus right now, and that's not a grandfathered rate (aside from sero itself, that is); I got it after all these changes went down.

The replenish is 40, and the advertised 'green discount' is redundant for sero users, since that premium data fee is already waived for all 3g phones. 'Sero-Premium' is unrelated, predates the 'premium data' fee by a year or two, and no android phone is exempt.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

RodShaft posted:

They really should just give you a $10 discount with the Epic because this thing is loving retarded.

You remember back in the early days of android and the phones were slower, and every once in a while the phone would sort of go into a soft-freeze where it wouldn't do anything but everything you did would queue up somehow and when the phone unfroze, everything you pressed or did while it was frozen happens all at once?

Epic does that all the time. If I hit enough things that cause haptic feedback it feels like something is getting ready to forceclose (with the "buzz....buzzbuzzbuzz" thing as it pops up with the FC dialog)

This is going to be the longest week ever.

Chow-King
May 24, 2003

"I could kiss you on the nuts."
So I have a question for the Sprint guys, currently, I'm on the old SERO plan. I'm planning on calling the number listed on the first page to upgrade myself to SERO PLUS on Monday.

When Friday comes along, can I just walk into a Sprint corporate store and pick up the phone then without them screwing anything up?

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Chow-King posted:

So I have a question for the Sprint guys, currently, I'm on the old SERO plan. I'm planning on calling the number listed on the first page to upgrade myself to SERO PLUS on Monday.

When Friday comes along, can I just walk into a Sprint corporate store and pick up the phone then without them screwing anything up?
When talking to the rep on the phone, be sure to refer to it as SERO Premium 500 ($40/mo), for minimal confusion.

Yes, you should be able to walk into a corporate store and pick up a phone then. But there's always a chance that you'll encounter an employee who doesn't know how to deal with your special employee referral account.

And here's how SERO 500 pricing works, since they messed with the data pricing back in January:

$30/mo SERO 500 - Dumbphones only. Yes, your old WinMo 6.x phone stays at this price point, but you're never ever(*) allowed to activate another WinMo 6.x phone without it being bumped up to:
$40/mo SERO Premium 500 - 3G smartphones. Yes, this includes WinMo 6.x.
$50/mo SERO Premium 500 - 4G smartphones. The $10 bump from $40 is automatically added when you activate a 4G phone.

(*) exception - TEP insurance replacement

Generic Superhero
Nov 9, 2000

You've gotta find first gear in your giant robot car.
I was all ready to drop the money on an EVO 3D (from a Hero) but now I'm thinking I'll wait to see how the Photon stacks up, as I have no prejudices against Motorola phones or their UI. The specs seem similar, so performance be similar, but I just have a nagging feeling maybe the EVO 3D isn't the phone for me. Maybe it's the 3D aspect which I hate. I just don't want to be stuck in a position like I was after I bought the Hero, which was: What was I thinking?

Is anyone else on the fence about the 3D since they came out and announced the Photon?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
The only reason to wait for the photon is if you need a world phone. Otherwise, turn off the 3D on the Evo.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Has anyone seen anything about the reception of the Evo 3d? for normal 3g?

That was one of the main reasons I took the Nexus S back, reception was awful. Inside a single building I was lucky to get 1 bar of reception and lucky if I could even get any 3g data. This was in a "strong' reception area too.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Generic Superhero posted:

I was all ready to drop the money on an EVO 3D (from a Hero) but now I'm thinking I'll wait to see how the Photon stacks up, as I have no prejudices against Motorola phones or their UI. The specs seem similar, so performance be similar, but I just have a nagging feeling maybe the EVO 3D isn't the phone for me. Maybe it's the 3D aspect which I hate. I just don't want to be stuck in a position like I was after I bought the Hero, which was: What was I thinking?

Is anyone else on the fence about the 3D since they came out and announced the Photon?

The Hero from the start was a lower Android phone. The EVO 3D is a high end phone, so 2 years from now it should still be a decent phone.

Example I had my EVO for a year now, and I am still very happy with it. I am so happy that I am not upgrading (I have a upgrade available) at this time.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

nate fisher posted:

Example I had my EVO for a year now, and I am still very happy with it. I am so happy that I am not upgrading (I have a upgrade available) at this time.

I was thinking this too, but then I realized that I can sell my Evo and basically get a free upgrade. Worst case: I can trade it in to eBay for ~$150 and it's a $50 upgrade.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Myrddin Emrys posted:

I was thinking this too, but then I realized that I can sell my Evo and basically get a free upgrade. Worst case: I can trade it in to eBay for ~$150 and it's a $50 upgrade.

I would do same, but it is more of a case of being happy right now and saving the upgrade for later.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I HAVE verified that indeed, the premium data add-on DOES NOT apply to SERO plans UNLESS its a 4G phone.

I know i said it already and people still seemed to not believe it but that's verified straight from Sprint's employee knowledge base.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

It's actually the opposite for me. I got the hero right as the evo was coming out, I thought "I don't need the fastest phone." Now I've been trying to decide between the Evo 3D and Nexus, and I realized that if I bought the Nexus I'd be making the same mistake as last time.

Eyecannon
Mar 13, 2003

you are what you excrete

900ftjesus posted:

It is more of a problem with the 120Hz default settings... on my Samsung TV, the defaults look terrible, but if I slightly reduce the 120Hz-ness, it looks way better than 60Hz.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

spidoman posted:

It's actually the opposite for me. I got the hero right as the evo was coming out, I thought "I don't need the fastest phone." Now I've been trying to decide between the Evo 3D and Nexus, and I realized that if I bought the Nexus I'd be making the same mistake as last time.

While there's something to be said about "purity" and NFC, you're better off making that choice. NFC is just a little too young to really consider it as a relevant point of a phone (this will change as Google and PayPal settle things and get back to development) and the purity thing is probably going to be moot PDQ as it will likely be picked up by Cyanogen.

I mean, looking at it from just the purity standpoint, its unlikely any major updates will come for the NS4G by the time Cyanogen gets a release out for it.

As you said, you would be making a mistake by getting the Nexus S. It's past its prime.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Mahoning posted:

I HAVE verified that indeed, the premium data add-on DOES NOT apply to SERO plans UNLESS its a 4G phone.

I know i said it already and people still seemed to not believe it but that's verified straight from Sprint's employee knowledge base.

Alright then, my bad, I got confused by the Replenish - I guess the $10 fee it saves doesn't apply in the first place to SERO folk.

Also, for the record - by adding a $4 car charger and a $4 micro HDMI cable, as well as a decent photo of the whole lot, I was able to sell my Evo refurb on CL (without even rooting it) for $300. So essentially I'll be able to get the Evo 3D upgrade for about $8 out of pocket.

A $71 hit in depreciation compared to when I bought it off-contract on eBay last year is not bad, not bad at all :)

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jun 18, 2011

jaku78
Mar 17, 2009

The Hero was a phone that had last generation hardware on release and also had sense when it really sucked resources dry. I'd still say the Hero was worse than the Moment even with the glaring issues with the Moment. That was a rough phone to get your idea on HTC phones and unless you are waiting for a Nexus that might be released on Sprint in a few months, there's hardly a reason to not get a 3D in a few days. Don't worry too much about the gimmicky 3D feature as much because all it seems to do well is burn through batteries if you use it from what I'm reading.

Engadget did a horrible job of testing of testing the 3D because no sane man would leave their android phone with every single radio on. There's no reason for it. I'd really like to just see how long this phone lasts with just the 3G idling on then the 4G that will be on only sometimes and a wifi that I will absolutely promise you I will never use.

EDIT: Oh, and I'm wondering, my dad has a 2 year upgrade on his line I want to use to get the 3D and he wants my old Moment. Is it possible to yank his upgrade but conveniently he still keeps his number on my old phone?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

jaku78 posted:

EDIT: Oh, and I'm wondering, my dad has a 2 year upgrade on his line I want to use to get the 3D and he wants my old Moment. Is it possible to yank his upgrade but conveniently he still keeps his number on my old phone?

Yes. I have 5 lines and we do this all the time. Me and my wife get first choice on upgrades since we pay for the lines. All we do is go home after getting the phone and call Sprint to switch numbers. Pretty easy.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

td4guy posted:

And here's how SERO 500 pricing works, since they messed with the data pricing back in January:

$30/mo SERO 500 - Dumbphones only. Yes, your old WinMo 6.x phone stays at this price point, but you're never ever(*) allowed to activate another WinMo 6.x phone without it being bumped up to:
$40/mo SERO Premium 500 - 3G smartphones. Yes, this includes WinMo 6.x.
$50/mo SERO Premium 500 - 4G smartphones. The $10 bump from $40 is automatically added when you activate a 4G phone.

(*) exception - TEP insurance replacement

Just wanted to point out that this is the correct info, since a lot of incorrect info was posted the last two pages. Currently 3G smarphones like the HTC Arrive, Optimus S, Moto XPRT, Echo, etc do not have the $10 data fee attached.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
So after getting an Internet slap (daaayyyuummm!) in this thread for being a meanie to the Sprint rep, I finally switched from ATT today...well, soft switched anyway (haven't ported yet). See, I'm not an rear end in a top hat, the guy got his commission, etc but I digress...

I went with the Nexus S 4g. So far so good. The coverage in my house (basement included) is better than ATT is. The nexus is good so far, despite the molasses charging time. 4g drops frequently despite being in a "strong" 4 g area, resulting in "no connection" messages. I just turned it off. Also, wifi is terrible. My work iPhone 4 shows full signal and the Nexus barely has one bar and frequently disconnects from wifi. Annoying.

At this point, I'm fairly certain I will switch to the EVO 3D. I have 30 days do so. I really like the Nexus but at this point it is already showing it's age. That coupled with the fact that I paid $199 for the Nexus it will be an even trade (despite $149 beiing mentioned in this thread as the new price).

One question about google voice integration though...so I have had my main number for like 12 years. Don't want to lose it. I also have a GV number that I've had for ~3 yrs that I use for shady reasons (craigslist, etc). I could ween myself off of the GV number if integrating my 12 yr old number to GV makes sense. So, if I port my 12 number to Sprints GV integration, does that number become a Sprint number? In other words if I leave sprint 4 yrs from now, can I bring my 12 yr old number with me?

Thanks.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jun 19, 2011

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Port your ATT number to Sprint, then it's a Sprint number. After that, enable Google voice integration. Your Sprint number will now be integrated with Google Voice. It will still be a Sprint number.

Then, within the next 90 days, pay Google $20 if you want to keep your existing GV number.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

hotsauce posted:

One question about google voice integration though...so I have had my main number for like 12 years. Don't want to lose it. I also have a GV number that I've had for ~3 yrs that I use for shady reasons (craigslist, etc). I could ween myself off of the GV number if integrating my 12 yr old number to GV makes sense. So, if I port my 12 number to Sprints GV integration, does that number become a Sprint number? In other words if I leave sprint 4 yrs from now, can I bring my 12 yr old number with me?

Thanks.

You can do three things. You can keep your old number as your Sprint number and also use the GV number on the side for whatever you want. You can turn your old number (after it's been ported to Sprint) into a GV number, or you can turn the GV number into the Sprint number. In either of those two scenarios, you can actually keep both numbers. The one you replace sticks around so that you can receive calls made to it, but any calls you make come from the one you've decided to keep. You should be able to port the number to another carrier if and when you eventually leave Sprint.

efb

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Makes sense 3.0. Thanks for the replies.

Lunchboxx
Jun 19, 2004

His name is Head. Dick Head.
Welp, just like a few others, I tossed an email over to sprintcares hoping to get my upgrade bumped up a year.

I would just flat out trade my EVO in for another plain old EVO since I've got some of the smaller issues that the early ones had (light leakage, dust under the screen, cracked thingy by the power button/led cover), but figured why not try for the 3d?

While it doesn't match up to the excitement levels of the original, I still can't wait to grab the 3d. The camera doesn't do a drat thing for me, but the rest of it sounds really sweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sonicice
Oct 21, 2000

Michael J Beverage, I've got a bone to pick with you.
Someone in this thread mentioned that the 3D would be in Telesales' system on the 19th. Is that still the case and are they pre-orderable through telesales now?