Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.

SupahDren posted:

I'm currently deciding between the Technics 1200 line and

Get the technics don't even think twice.

CPL593H posted:

I've only ever encountered two kinds of record store guys. They are:

1)Old dude who knows waaaay too much about 60s garage/psych

2)Hipster guy

I have never seen a record store lady.

Types of record store clerks:

1) Assholes. Usually owners. Can be assholes because they own the records.

2) Assholes. Usually clerks. Have no reason for being assholes. Hope they get fired.

3) Cool people who are too friendly. I make them tapes of rare stuff I buy that they want.

4) Not cool people who are too friendly. gently caress off.

5) Assholes.

Not giving them a bad rap but 90% are terrible people and the rest are too nice. I wish I could buy records out of a vending machine. Mabye I'm the problem.

edit- women are way better clerks than men, know fewer, but less talky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Not an Anthem posted:

Get the technics don't even think twice.

Types of record store clerks:

1) Assholes. Usually owners. Can be assholes because they own the records.

2) Assholes. Usually clerks. Have no reason for being assholes. Hope they get fired.

3) Cool people who are too friendly. I make them tapes of rare stuff I buy that they want.

4) Not cool people who are too friendly. gently caress off.

5) Assholes.

Not giving them a bad rap but 90% are terrible people and the rest are too nice. I wish I could buy records out of a vending machine. Mabye I'm the problem.

edit- women are way better clerks than men, know fewer, but less talky.

I've encountered plenty of rear end in a top hat owners/clerks because it just seems the nature of the business. Funny enough the assholes always get a lot more friendly when they see how much money I'm about to spend. Even though sometimes the people are dicks I would never want to eliminate the human interaction part of it. I really enjoy the discussions I have with record store people. Although I guess much of that is due to the fact that none of my friends are into vinyl and several of them give me a whole ration of poo poo for it.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
For any Mark Kozelek fans out there, Sound Stage Direct still sells vinyl copies of Lost Verses live for $25.

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jun 18, 2011

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
The best kind of record store clerk is the one who gives you a kind of scowl when you walk around his store for the first time and get that it's just overpriced dadrock and Goodwill swill and leave after 3 minutes.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The worst kind of record store employee is the dude who asks you trivia questions about any song that's playing. "Hey lemme play this 45, it's pretty rare. Theere---now, who do you think it is?" "Weelll, it sounds a lot like Günther Bögebacka." "NO! NO! IT ISN'T GÜNTHER BÖGEBACKA! HA HA! GUESS AGAIN!" "I really don't know..." (I really don't care, actually.) And then it ends up actually being Günther Bögebacka but he's credited as Guy Gayhill ha ha imagine that that was the joke ha ha.

I've run into a couple of these and the really annoying part is, of course, when they see what you're trying to buy and it's all "Oh, hey, Chris Farlowe, do you know who sings the backing vocals on this track?" Yes, I do, everyone does, now give me the loving record I already paid for.

(Note: Chris Farlowe is real, in case you didn't know, but Günther Bögebacka I made up because I couldn't remember who the artist really was when this happened.)

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
This is reminding me about a sad tale about a record shop I used to go into, Scotti's in NJ.

[cue up sad song, preferably on a 1st pressing]

I had jury duty, and so I had an hour for lunch. Looking to kill some time after eating, I walked into Scotti's in Morristown since I hadn't gone there in a while for whatever reason. Oh, if only I had stayed away.

Apparently, the owner had realized that there was a bug for vinyl, because suddenly, I was seeing prices that made no sense. It was just absurd. For instance, I found two copies of the mono "Aftermath" by the Stones. One was 3 bucks, the other was 10 bucks. I don't know what was going on with the 10 buck version, since the cover was in remarkably worse shape, and it was clearly barely together. Then I saw the thing that convince me to leave and never spend my hard earned money there again.

A copy of Jimi Hendrix's "Axis: Bold as Love," for about 15 bucks.

This poor record... it didn't deserve the treatment it got. From the outside, the cover was incredibly water-damaged. It was warped in all the wrong ways. Then I tried to open the gatefold, but gave up, fearing that I would break the record and then he would try to get 15 bucks from me. I never looked at the record. I was tempted to show this to the manager and ask him what the gently caress was wrong with him and why he would charge so much money for a clearly broken product, especially when for 5 bucks more, you could get one of the remastered copies from last year that sounded incredibly sweet.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
I don't make a big deal about record shop owners. You just have to accept that anyone running a record store owner is either usually neurotic in some way, or is as cutthroat as a pawn shop owner.

You just have to deal with it. I only know of 3 record stores within 40 miles of me. There might be more, but I don't know where they are.
One is owned by black people, and is just like an expanded goodwill bin.
One is in a 60k population town, that has a great street location for what it is, but the demographics are horrible. The owner is pretty ADD and can seem rude sometimes because his attention is all over the place, but he's a good guy. He recently expanded his newer release selection, but unfortunately I seem to have different tastes in music from whoever he is buying the new releases for...
My favorite one here is inside of an art center that seems to be run by hippies, that is a converter mill. It's on the second floor and has an old style elevator that has pull down gates and you hold the up or down button continuously to move the elevator. It's got a really neat atmosphere and the owner of the record shop is perfect. He will chat if you chat with him, but doesn't try to be obnoxious at all. He's enthusiastic about records, almost like he's just in there shopping, too. Nicest guy ever.

Tiny Faye
Feb 17, 2005

Are you ready for an ORGAN SOLO?!
My favorite record store employee is the man who narrates this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krP67R8JaOw

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Garage sale day! Woke up early and was rewarded. Although the one I woke up early for just had a really nice jacket that fit my small body.

I got there a half-hour early but immediately saw a guy walking away with a box of records. I don't know what the hell he took because for $1 each

Ernie K-Doe - self-titled
Howlin Wolf - Red Rooster (sealed 80s compilation, but sounds good)
The Ventures - The Ventures
Clarence Frogman Henry - is alive and well and still doin' his thing in New Orleans (signed!)
Bobby Bland - Two Steps from the Blues
James Brown - Showtime live at the Apollo (slightly better condition than the one I had)
two copies of Clint West & the Boogie Kings - s/t (great rare Louisiana swamp pop)
Bo Diddley & Chuck Berry - Two Great Guitars
Cannibal and the Headhunters - Land of 1,000 Dances

and a few great local 45s, two of which went for ~$30 on Popsike, not that I'm reselling them

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Just got this in my email. Thank God.....

Dear Discerning Vinyl Consumer,

As you are no doubt already aware, the manufacture and distribution of high-quality phonograph records is a highly-nuanced and sometimes tricky business that is subject to any number of vicissitudes as the finely grooved discs travel along the path from their origin to you, the listener.

It has come to our attention that an unfortunately high percentage of folks who purchased the "Deluxe Box" edition of My Morning Jacket's Circuital discovered a most unfortunate condition of warpage on one or both of their green 12" LPs. That is why, in order to guarantee maximum value and listening pleasure, new pairs of brand-new, warp-free green LPs are being mailed out to all purchasers of the "Deluxe Box" free of charge. So watch your mailbox. And hold on to your gatefold sleeves and jackets, folks, you'll be needing those for your new discs.

We offer our sincerest apologies for this unfortunate circumstance, and we thank all of our partners in manufacturing and distribution for working hard to help us correct the situation. They all remain committed to delivering top-notch goods and we're glad for that.

We thank you for your patience and for giving us a chance to make things right. And enjoy the green LPs, we think they sound fantastic.

Sincerely,

ATO Records

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

cosmicjim posted:

And hold on to your gatefold sleeves and jackets, folks, you'll be needing those for your new discs.
Thank god they're not reshipping the packaging, otherwise you'd have a second-hand buyers' nightmare

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

yeah. I haven't decided what to do with my warped ones, yet. I can listen to them, but it requires too much antiskate and tonearm weight.

Tiny Faye
Feb 17, 2005

Are you ready for an ORGAN SOLO?!

cosmicjim posted:

yeah. I haven't decided what to do with my warped ones, yet. I can listen to them, but it requires too much antiskate and tonearm weight.

Probably not good for your stylus to be doing that either...

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

cosmicjim posted:

One is owned by black people, and is just like an expanded goodwill bin.

I know what you mean. I always make a point of stayin outta them there negro record shops, I tell you what. Half the time they ain't sellin nothin but that jungle music they all listen to! :bahgawd:

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

CPL593H posted:

I know what you mean. I always make a point of stayin outta them there negro record shops, I tell you what. Half the time they ain't sellin nothin but that jungle music they all listen to! :bahgawd:

Wish they were selling jungle music.
It literally is a store full of goodwill music. No attempt of dad rock or rap lps. There is a bin of rap singles they price like lps.....

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
The guy that runs the record store I frequent doesn't really fit into any of these profiles.

The quiet, non-judgmental guy who instantly knows the location of any given record in the store, and the entire history of recorded music. You guys are missing out.

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005

CPL593H posted:

Are you being sarcastic or are you just this racist? What the hell

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0081 posted:

Are you being sarcastic or are you just this racist? What the hell

I was being sarcastic because I thought it was a bit odd that he had to point out that a lovely record shop was owned by black people. It came off as a bit racist. I figured the emoticon with the fist waving hillbilly would make that clear.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
VA - Cleveland Confidential. Unplayed.
Broncos - Tele-k-killing. Unplayed.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Spent two hours this evening photographing the cover and actual record of every album I have stored at my parents' house. There are way too many and not enough space in my apartment to take them with me. I also don't have enough time to sift through them one by one while I'm here and match them up on Discogs.

None of them are very interesting, but I'm curious about what exactly I have. Hopefully, I can get everything updated within a week.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I picked up a couple Miles Davis LPs today. Tribute to Jack Johnson for 5bux and Live-Evil for 15. However I'm not that seasoned, so can anyone tell me the deal with Quadrophonic LPs? Live-Evil is one, and I'm curious if that's a good or bad thing.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

Kart Barfunkel posted:

I picked up a couple Miles Davis LPs today. Tribute to Jack Johnson for 5bux and Live-Evil for 15. However I'm not that seasoned, so can anyone tell me the deal with Quadrophonic LPs? Live-Evil is one, and I'm curious if that's a good or bad thing.

Depends on what kind of quadraphonic format the record is in. A cursory search showed that it's probably SQ Quad, which means it will play back in stereo for you.

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:
Went to goodwill today, picked upa first press of the Isley bros twist and shout LP, which is rare apparently? In all right condition considering it's 49 years old. Also got Mexican presses of 5th Dimension and Ventures 7"s in mint condition, which is weird since they're from goodwill.

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

Kart Barfunkel posted:

I picked up a couple Miles Davis LPs today. Tribute to Jack Johnson for 5bux

I am jealous as all hell. That's my favorite Miles Davis album.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Kart Barfunkel posted:

They were a precursor to surround sound. I'm not entirely sure, but I think they never really took off. Probably because it required you to have four speakers at a time when people generally didn't. I've never actually listened to one so I can't tell you how they sound. I haven't really come across them too often so it's a cool thing to find at the very least.

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:
My favorite store around here has a few crates of them labeled "FOR TRUE AUDIOPHILES ONLY"

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.

CPL593H posted:

They were a precursor to surround sound. I'm not entirely sure, but I think they never really took off. Probably because it required you to have four speakers at a time when people generally didn't. I've never actually listened to one so I can't tell you how they sound. I haven't really come across them too often so it's a cool thing to find at the very least.

You also needed a quad decoder receiver and generally a higher end cartridge to extract de-matrixing or subcarrier signals. There were several competing formats of varying quality both discrete and matrixed. Also the discrete records tended to wear out the subcarrier signal quite quickly.

Also, found a record shop tonight I never knew about while I was wandering between pubs. It's about the size of a shoebox, but i'll check it out tomorrow!

Quadraphonic sound!

Ron Burgundy fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jun 22, 2011

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Not my record but I was filing another one on this label (Ponderosa Twins Plus One) and thought I'd show off another cool 45 label. Unforunately it doesn't list the other signs on the flipside

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
Neat stuff from craigslist:

-Talking Heads, Remain in Light
-Ministry, Work for Love
-Kraftwerk, Computer World
-Tom Tom Club s/t
-"Mash it Up!" (razorbeat records comp, some late 80's ska)

Illumination
Jan 26, 2009

Just got the reissue of Charanjit Singhs "Ten Ragas to a Disco Beat" today that I ordered awhile back. Really neat stuff

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Just when I was about done with garage sales today I finally found some stuff. None of the covers are in great shape, but for most the vinyl was fine

Velvet Underground - White Light / White Heat (had a big line through side 2 but sounds fine)
Kronos Quartet - Kronos Quartet (sealed)
Eubie Blake - Blues & Rags
Lightnin' Hopkins - the best of
Mike Batt - Six Days in Berlin
Mike Heron - Smiling Me with bad Reputations
Mothers of Invention - Ruben & the Jets
Taj Mahal - Giant Step/Olde Folks at Home
The Rolling Stones - Aftermath
"" - Between the Buttons
"" - Beggars Banquet
Country Joe and the Fish - I Feel Like I'm Fixin' To Die

....for 50 cents apiece

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Thrift store haul. 25 cents each:

LPs
The Dave Clark Five: American Tour
The Kingston Trio: At Large

Singles
Thomas Dolby: She Blinded Me with Science/Flying North
Everly Brothers: Devoted to You/Bird Dog
Elton John: Little Jeannie/Conquer the Sun
Elvis Presley: Blue Christmas/Santa Claus is Back in Town
Elvis Presley: Return to Sender/Where Do You Come From (singles in connection with film, "Girls! Girls! Girls!"
Elvis Presley: My Way/America the Beautiful
Zager & Evans: In the Year 2525/Little Kids

Single on Tops label simple because of the red colored vinyl. Label itself isn't in the greatest of shape.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

Got my limited to 500 on strawberry vinyl reissue of Deerhoof - Milk Man this week. Sadly, it's warped to poo poo. I could actually hear the music slowing down and speeding up, even though my needle didn't jump off. Sent an email to PolyVinyl. Hopefully I can get a replacement. Anyone ever have any issues with PolyVinyl?

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
^^^ Cant wait to get my copy but that sucks. Hopefully I'll have better luck.

Found this copy of The White Stripes - Get Behind Me Satan in some little record store I'd never been in before. I know it's technically worthless but it's still a fun thing to have for 20 bucks.

How about a proper release, Jack?

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

My friend found a sealed Guns n Roses - Appetite for Destruction with the original cover yesterday at a yard sale for $1... He gave it to me today.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Farts Domino posted:

Just when I was about done with garage sales today I finally found some stuff. None of the covers are in great shape, but for most the vinyl was fine

Velvet Underground - White Light / White Heat (had a big line through side 2 but sounds fine)
t:wth:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Farts Domino posted:

Kronos Quartet - Kronos Quartet (sealed)
Eubie Blake - Blues & Rags
Lightnin' Hopkins - the best of
Mike Batt - Six Days in Berlin
Mike Heron - Smiling Me with bad Reputations
Mothers of Invention - Ruben & the Jets
Taj Mahal - Giant Step/Olde Folks at Home
The Rolling Stones - Aftermath
"" - Between the Buttons
"" - Beggars Banquet
Country Joe and the Fish - I Feel Like I'm Fixin' To Die

....for 50 cents apiece

I need to start going to more yard sales. That's a drat good haul. And Brian Jones era Stones are the best Stones.

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

I Might Be Adam posted:

Got my limited to 500 on strawberry vinyl reissue of Deerhoof - Milk Man this week. Sadly, it's warped to poo poo. I could actually hear the music slowing down and speeding up, even though my needle didn't jump off. Sent an email to PolyVinyl. Hopefully I can get a replacement. Anyone ever have any issues with PolyVinyl?

I wonder if its related, but I got this email regarding my Deerhoof order...

quote:

I’m emailing everyone about the Deerhoof “Friend Opportunity” pre-order.
Unfortunately, we had a manufacturing delay and haven’t received the LPs at our office so we won’t be able to ship your pre-order until next week. The shipping company said they should be here Monday.

I made up for it by finding a clear 7" of Helmet - Meantime/Give It/Oven Live 1992 and Genesis - Foxtrot

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

kingcobweb posted:

t:wth:
Not that I wasn't excited, but it's far from nice shape

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Starting to figure out what exactly I have in the storage bins of records. Not many highlights, but a couple from the boxes

Capitol promotional?

I can only assume someone gave this to my grandfather. I have no idea who as there is a long list of people he knew that would. I have never played it. I have no idea if it lives up to its label and I don't have a turntable up here to find out.