Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Vocal Coach is so good, July 26th can't come soon enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smegbot
Jul 13, 2006

Mon the Biffy!
Goddamn that track's awesome.

HavveK
Aug 3, 2008
The preorder went up for Vacation yesterday on Really Records. it's the joint efforts of Quote Unqoute and If You Make It.

http://reallyrecords.com/

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Vocal Coach sounds like it has something resembling production values, what did you guys do with the real Bomb

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Noooo I'm gonna be in China when Bomb plays Boston :cry:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

guppy posted:

Vocal Coach sounds like it has something resembling production values, what did you guys do with the real Bomb

Sounds about on par with Scrambles, just a bit more focus and less "gently caress you know what would go good here?"

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Haven't seen this posted (but I might have missed it)

BUT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlQWuSZjnZM

The Selecter are back!

Their trying to run a campaign of getting people to buy this single so they can get back in the charts again (which would be pretty awesome for an original two-tone band that isn't Madness)

Observation;- Patricia black is loving stunning for a woman who's now old enough to be some of you guys grandmother. I'd swear she hasn't aged a bit in 30 years.

Also I'm very fond of these guys, who are local to me. The Rockabilly/Ska/whatever-the-gently caress crossover idea needs more love imho.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YLgUnw8uGc

They have been getting a lot of love out of the punk scene, which is interesting because the so-cal punk-ska thing kind of burnt out a lot of peoples tolerances for the ska/punk thing, but this seems a different take on how to do it, less hardcore and more, snarly or something. Their CD launch a few months back ended up in absolute chaos when a big bunch of trad skins turned up and proceeded to turn the dance floor into a warzone, with smashed up furniture and glass. Ska can still be dangerous when it wants to.

duck monster fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jun 5, 2011

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
07/02 -Washington, DC @ St. Steven’s Church *%$
07/03 – Brooklyn, NY @ Europa *$@

I'M WORKING IN NYC ON 7/2 AND GOING TO BE IN DC ON 7/3 GOD drat IT gently caress ME gently caress gently caress gently caress

i hate everything

e: vocal coach owns bones

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jun 6, 2011

Dumbly Bumpkin
Jul 6, 2004
My pinko commie lamp is liar
Anybody that is near Madison Wisconsin, there is a Wisconsin ska showcase going on at the Freequency on W. Main St Friday night. There are 4 or 5 Wisconsin/Upper Mid-west ska bands playing for $5. My band, the 4 Aspirin Morning, will be headlining, with the Orpheus, the Crazy 88 and a couple of other bands.

We have been trying to rebuild some sort of punk/ska scene in Madison for over a year now, and are starting to make some really good headway. Stop out and show some support if you are in the area, hopefully we can get some more shows and start to convince local promoters) to bring in some bigger national acts.

4 Aspirin Morning

Orpheus

Crazy 88

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Dumbly Bumpkin posted:

Anybody that is near Madison Wisconsin, there is a Wisconsin ska showcase going on at the Freequency on W. Main St Friday night. There are 4 or 5 Wisconsin/Upper Mid-west ska bands playing for $5. My band, the 4 Aspirin Morning, will be headlining, with the Orpheus, the Crazy 88 and a couple of other bands.

We have been trying to rebuild some sort of punk/ska scene in Madison for over a year now, and are starting to make some really good headway. Stop out and show some support if you are in the area, hopefully we can get some more shows and start to convince local promoters) to bring in some bigger national acts.

4 Aspirin Morning

Orpheus

Crazy 88

Whenever I see your band all I can think of is 4th and Michigan

hedgecore
May 2, 2004
So, anyone else going to see Slapstick/MU330/The Chinkees next week?

That right there is a question I wouldn't ever imagine being able to ask.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat

hedgecore posted:

I'm still having trouble believing it's real. I wish Mike Park would run for President.

HavveK
Aug 3, 2008

hedgecore posted:

When I was in high school I missed Slapstick's final show and vowed to see them if they ever reunite. Next week I make good to my 15 year old self.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!
I just saw that a list of bands for the Mass Ska Raid was posted for this year:

The Taj Motel Trio, Stuck Lucky, Paranoia Dance Party, Shut Up Travis
Chilled Monkey Brains, Joystick, The Hits, 4 Point 0, Blame Sydney, Survay Says, Corporate Fandango, Jojo Taterhead Revival, The Hermits of Suburbia, Dead Like Lincoln, SS Vendetta, El Chupaskabra, La Suegra, La Real Soceidad Wetbaks, The Beat Officers

Interesting to see that 4 Point 0 is on there.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Josh Wow posted:

I just saw that a list of bands for the Mass Ska Raid was posted for this year:

The Taj Motel Trio, Stuck Lucky, Paranoia Dance Party, Shut Up Travis
Chilled Monkey Brains, Joystick, The Hits, 4 Point 0, Blame Sydney, Survay Says, Corporate Fandango, Jojo Taterhead Revival, The Hermits of Suburbia, Dead Like Lincoln, SS Vendetta, El Chupaskabra, La Suegra, La Real Soceidad Wetbaks, The Beat Officers

Interesting to see that 4 Point 0 is on there.

This is a shhhh kinda thing I guess but apparently Ska Danny has taken a more active hand in helping them, which is cool because he knows a shitton of people, and that's why they're getting shows they wouldn't normally play.

It also sucks because I think they'd come up with way better poo poo left to their own devices.

Also, stoked to hear Shut Up Travis is still a band, saw them a while back and loved the poo poo out of them.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

Dickeye posted:

Also, stoked to hear Shut Up Travis is still a band, saw them a while back and loved the poo poo out of them.

They haven't played any shows in forever, I'm pretty sure those dudes just still hang out and play music on their own so they decided to do Mass Ska Raid just for fun.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Ah.

Still, I loving loved them when I saw them ages ago. Think that was the same show where I saw Tip The Van.

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous
I got those passes I mentioned earlier.

I have an extra spot on the guest list for MU330/The Humanoids/Robb Steele at the Firebird Saturday night if anyone in/around STL wants to get into the show for free.

EDIT: Ticket has a home now.

BigHustle fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jun 10, 2011

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
Shirt design for Vacation preorder: http://goo.gl/7r3qD

As if you needed another awesome reason.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
gently caress I actually kinda want to preorder it now instead of just downloading it.

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy
A buddy of mine used to be the vocalist for Survay Says, nice to see them getting some exposure.

hedgecore
May 2, 2004
Ok, I'm leaving for AMR Fest tomorrow. Come find me if you're out there! I'm so used to NJ, that saying "the asian dude with the terrible mustache" will probably not be specific enough. I'll probably be tweeting pics/vids/hopefully insight on house shows and other secrets the whole time. If you want to meet up follow me on Twitter (@sneve) or at least tweet at me so I see your user account and we'll say hello. Mine's private (but I accept anyone). Oh and I guess you can use that photo for reference.

I'll be at these shows:

15th - Slapstick/MU330/Chinkees
16th - Alkaline Trio/Hot Toddies/Kepi Ghoulie/Atom Age and maybe some of Slow Gherkin/Buck-o-9/Unsteady/Monkey
17th - Broadways/Surprises!/spraynard in the afternoon and AJJ/Shinobu/O Pioneers/The Wild/Pteradon
18th - AMR BBQ in the afternoon and Queers/Classics of Love/Apers/The Max Levine Ensemble/Gnarboots
19th - Bomb the Music Industry!/Laura Stevenson/Hard Girls/Mikey Erg/Mike Park

Can't wait!

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

hedgecore posted:

Ok, I'm leaving for AMR Fest tomorrow. Come find me if you're out there! I'm so used to NJ, that saying "the asian dude with the terrible mustache" will probably not be specific enough. I'll probably be tweeting pics/vids/hopefully insight on house shows and other secrets the whole time. If you want to meet up follow me on Twitter (@sneve) or at least tweet at me so I see your user account and we'll say hello. Mine's private (but I accept anyone). Oh and I guess you can use that photo for reference.

I'll be at these shows:

16th - Alkaline Trio/Hot Toddies/Kepi Ghoulie/Atom Age and maybe some of Slow Gherkin/Buck-o-9/Unsteady/Monkey
17th - Broadways/Surprises!/spraynard in the afternoon and AJJ/Shinobu/O Pioneers/The Wild/Pteradon
18th - AMR BBQ in the afternoon and Queers/Classics of Love/Apers/The Max Levine Ensemble/Gnarboots

Can't wait!

I saw MU330 two nights ago. They still put on the same kick rear end show they did back in the day. I reviewed it for the 88.1 KDHX blog if you want to read my take on the evening.

hedgecore
May 2, 2004

BigHustle posted:

I saw MU330 two nights ago. They still put on the same kick rear end show they did back in the day. I reviewed it for the 88.1 KDHX blog if you want to read my take on the evening.

MU330 rules! I haven't seen them in over six years. Dan Potthast is also the man - he played a solo set on a show with my old band once and was a super nice dude. Of course, they're not the reason I'm excited for Wednesday...

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer Wild Guess #333:Prince "Lady Killer Charming "Well, I AM the Adversa"

hedgecore posted:

I'll be at these shows:

Can't wait!

I guess I'll finally hop on-board the twitter train for this festival. I sent you an request. It's the name with booze in it. I have tickets for all the shows except the Queers show. I'm about to run out the door, so I don't have time to post a pic, but I'll be in a phillyska t-shirt and AMR workshirt the first night, and I'll wear my hideous green No Torso shirt the next. (That thing has been sitting in a drawer since I got it, but this seems like the time and place to wear it.)

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
Twitter req sent as well. I'll be the guy.

hedgecore
May 2, 2004
Awesome, accepted both. I'm hanging out in SFO right now waiting for my friends to arrive.

You should also be following http://twitter.com/AMR15Festival way moreso than me if you want the last minute news/changes.

HavveK
Aug 3, 2008

hedgecore posted:

I'll be at these shows:

Can't wait!

I'm going to the same shows except the last day I'm going to catch Toys That Kill at the TLA show then head back to Thee Parkside for BTMI!

RATASUCIA posted that their fans will want to get to the Broadways show early so they are probably the other TBA.

I've realized I am on Twitter way more when I'm traveling. I'll have a bunch of AMR things up @KevinHaverty

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

lessthankyle posted:

Shirt design for Vacation preorder: http://goo.gl/7r3qD

As if you needed another awesome reason.

I have no extra cash 'cause I bought a gift for a friend today, but next Friday I'm ordering this record, even though I don't even have a record player.

hedgecore
May 2, 2004
AMR15 has been the best week in forever. Slapstick/Broadways setlists...

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Don't think it's been mentioned yet, but Big D and the Kids Table posted a new song from their new album. It sounds like Flogging Molly?

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Is there a band called Flogging Molly that isn't the irish rock? Cause this sounds nothing like the Flogging Molly I know. I really dig this song though. Can't wait for the album.

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
citizenh8 bought me this account because he is a total qt.

CodfishCartographer posted:

Don't think it's been mentioned yet, but Big D and the Kids Table posted a new song from their new album. It sounds like Flogging Molly?

No they didnt. They all died in a plane crash after the gypsy hill EP came out. So sad, they were such a great band.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

Somehow as time goes on Dave just gets worse and worse. The song isn't that horrible but his lovely stilted vocals in this song are just terrible.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

FateoMcSkippy posted:

Is there a band called Flogging Molly that isn't the irish rock? Cause this sounds nothing like the Flogging Molly I know. I really dig this song though. Can't wait for the album.

I dunno for whatever reason the song sounds like something Flogging Molly would make to me. I mean yeah it's not Irish but not all of FM's songs are either. The folkish kinda sound is what it reminded me of, I guess.

I know with their new album Big D said they want to go back to fast punk style music.

Wait, was Gypsy Hill considered their last good thing? I thought How it Goes and Strictly Rude were pretty good.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
Strictly Rude had a few forgettable tracks but it wasn't terrible.

then again, How It Goes was like 4 songs too long and it managed to be pretty drat awesome so..

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

"Greetings from Less Than Jake! This morning JUNE 20TH we released our 287th release as a band. It is available in our digital store in DRM FREE MP3 format and will be available direct fom the band out on this summers Warped Tour as well as from our mailorder in the next few weeks. here's the link : http://lessthanjake.limitedpressing.com/"

$5. 5 songs. 2 songs in and it's pretty sweet so far.

StrikerObi
Aug 1, 2003
SECharger73 hates sad reminders :[

FateoMcSkippy posted:

"Greetings from Less Than Jake! This morning JUNE 20TH we released our 287th release as a band. It is available in our digital store in DRM FREE MP3 format and will be available direct fom the band out on this summers Warped Tour as well as from our mailorder in the next few weeks. here's the link : http://lessthanjake.limitedpressing.com/"

$5. 5 songs. 2 songs in and it's pretty sweet so far.

Totally digging it, loving all the horns.

Harvey Wallbanger sounds like it was written alongside the GNV FLA songs. It fits in with them lyrically.

I get a Sum41 vibe from the guitar riff on Goodbye Mr. Pesonality, and a big NOFX vibe from the intro to Life Led Out Loud.

It's real smart of them to get this out just in time for Warped. It'll give them something new to sell on tour and because it is an EP it will be cheap which is great for Warped since the kids tend to be tight on cash.

Here's hoping for a nice vinyl release, perhaps the sleeve will be an oversized postcard to go with the album title. I can't believe this is really their 287th release. I knew they had a poo poo load of releases but I thought it was closer to 200. This means they should hit 300 releases pretty easily (especially considering their recent approach of doing lots of EPs), which makes me hopeful for an insanely huge collector nerd style 300th release. I'm hoping for something similar to the pie tie (which I still don't have) or the Cereal Box (which I own and love, have sitting on my fridge).

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

StrikerObi posted:

and a big NOFX vibe from the intro to Life Led Out Loud.

Sounds exactly like NOFX and I love it.

I think my favorite song on the EP is Oldest Trick In The Book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrikerObi
Aug 1, 2003
SECharger73 hates sad reminders :[
Ha, posted on Twitter about how they should make the vinyl release a giant postcard and Vinnie responded saying I was "almost correct".