Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Sloth
Jun 5, 2004

GIMME DEM PIZZA PIES
Just finished season 4 of The Sopranos...and I don't really know what to think about this show.

Don't get me wrong it's really good, but every single goddamn season, there is some straight up retarded I-gotta-fast-forward-through-this-to-get-to-Tony's-next-scene plots going on that just make watching the show more like a chore (though, you could say this about a lot of shows). Why can't somebody clip Janice is what I'm asking.

Anywho, I'm going to keep powering through -- I really dug a whole lot of season 4 (minus Janice and a bunch of Paulie poo poo that I thought was completely out of character) and it has had practically the best scenes so far of the series which I have whittled down to the top three:

Paulie: You're a wormy cocksucker, ya know that?
Silvio: DDDDOOOOOOOHHHHHH!

and

Chris killing the dog

and thus leading to the greatest scene of all time

Tony: Woah, woah, woah, you killed the dog? What'd you do that for?
Chris: It was an accident!
Paulie: What was it barking?
Adriana: He sat on it while he was high!
Tony: Oh, Jesus Christ!
Carmela: ...knew you were high at my mother-in-law's wake.
Tony: My mother's wake...Jesus Christ.

edit: didn't mean to break up Dexter chat, but I forgot to post the obligatory Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_peSCECc4I

Mr. Sloth fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Jun 17, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

I'd say 1,4,2,3,5. I'm not sure though which comes first 2 or 3 I think they were both okay 5 is the only that was kind of a drag for me.

edit: these are dexter seasons

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
Decided to start back up on The Shield after stopping about halfway through season 2 a year ago. Cruising right through and enjoyed the Glenn Close season.

And then there was Forest Whitaker. This show just jumped up about 17 notches of awesome.

E: Regarding Dexter talk, that was another show I binged through a few months back. If you can watch all of the episodes in back to back fashion, it's not too bad to power through seasons 2/3. S4 will come and go far too quickly though, from my experience, as it is REALLY good (best of the series, in my opinion). I didn't enjoy S5 but managed to sit through all of it. It was a bit difficult to get into after having watched all of S4 the day prior.

Johnny Bravo fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jun 17, 2011

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

AbberantBehavior posted:

Decided to start back up on The Shield after stopping about halfway through season 2 a year ago. Cruising right through and enjoyed the Glenn Close season.

And then there was Forest Whitaker. This show just jumped up about 17 notches of awesome.

Oh god you are about to get to the worst part of the series (not quality wise)

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

il cinema è la vita e viceversa

Ror posted:

Yeah, season 3 [of Dexter] is usually considered the weakest, although the latest (5) isn't in top form either IMO. If you're starting to fade on the series but want to see some more cool stuff, just go straight for season 4.

Superrodan posted:

I liked season 3 MUCH better than season 2 of Dexter.

Gah, conflicting opinions! Now I'll probably end up sitting through it to see what I think. I don't really like skipping out seasons so if 4 is worth watching then I'll slog it out. And these things are usually much more bearable in binge-form.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Season 2 has the widest range of opinions on it. Some people hate the Lila stuff so much that they declare it the worst season. Some people love the Doakes and Lundy stuff so much that they declare it one of the best seasons.

Most people seem to think Season 3 was not good, though. But go ahead and watch it, it's summer after all.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jun 17, 2011

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Regarding favorite Dexter seasons, I absolutely loved the No Way Out/Out of Time aspect of the hunt for The Bay Harbor Butcher in season 2. Just really great edge-of-your-seat tension and drama. It's probably my favorite season or close to it, behind the Trinity season.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jun 18, 2011

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I'm about halfway through season 5 of The Wire right now and I'm afraid of getting spoiled by going into the thread for it, so I'll ask this question here: I thought the Greek and his people left at the end of season 2 because they were basically about to be busted by the Daniels and Co. Why are they back? I thought they were gone permanently. Did the heat die down? Couldn't Nick still screw them with what he knows?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I'm about halfway through season 5 of The Wire right now and I'm afraid of getting spoiled by going into the thread for it, so I'll ask this question here: I thought the Greek and his people left at the end of season 2 because they were basically about to be busted by the Daniels and Co. Why are they back? I thought they were gone permanently. Did the heat die down? Couldn't Nick still screw them with what he knows?

Ya you are correct.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I've been watching Wallander (BBC version), Luther, and The Shadow Line. British people really love making bleak crime dramas.

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

Disappointment to a noble soul is what cold water is to burning metal; it strengthens, tempers, intensifies, but never destroys it.
I've been watching Kings lately, and it's such a weird show. I realize it's a retelling of a biblical story, and there's a lot of it that's symbolic and metaphorical in nature, with the supernatural element thrown in to make that clear. However, at the same time, the show tries to ground itself in the modern reality of a first world country (albeit one ruled by an absolute monarch) which leads to a lot of situations that are simply implausible and make me go "What the hell! That's not how politics/economics/warfare/justice is supposed to work", and that just takes me completely out of the show. Likewise, characters often act in ways that are seemingly inconsistent or irrational, but that I would probably buy a lot more easily if the show was made as a period piece.

And yet I keep watching, partially because the story is intriguing and some of the characters are interesting but mostly because Ian McShane gets a lot of screen time and every single second is a joy to watch.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
It's too hot to do anything else right now, so I've plowed through the available seasons of Sons of Anarchy, Boardwalk Empire and the Borgias. Good, good, and good. I'm impatient for all of them to continue. I'm also trying to get into the Wire, but I'm finding the first couple episodes to feel sloooow.

EDIT: Come to think of it, can anyone recommend some good historical/period shows a la Boardwalk Empire, Borgias and the Tudors? I've got Deadwood coming my way, but I can't think of others at the moment.

Tendai fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jun 18, 2011

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Tendai posted:

It's too hot to do anything else right now, so I've plowed through the available seasons of Sons of Anarchy, Boardwalk Empire and the Borgias. Good, good, and good. I'm impatient for all of them to continue. I'm also trying to get into the Wire, but I'm finding the first couple episodes to feel sloooow.

EDIT: Come to think of it, can anyone recommend some good historical/period shows a la Boardwalk Empire, Borgias and the Tudors? I've got Deadwood coming my way, but I can't think of others at the moment.

Rome and Carnivale, for sure. I like Deadwood the most by far, followed by Rome and then Carnivale. And The Wire is my all-time favorite show, but it'll take most of the first six episodes for you to really get into it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Rome and Carnivale, for sure. I like Deadwood the most by far, followed by Rome and then Carnivale. And The Wire is my all-time favorite show, but it'll take most of the first six episodes for you to really get into it.

For historical shows after watching Rome watch I Claudius.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

bobkatt013 posted:

For historical shows after watching Rome watch I Claudius.

They dovetail really nicely in terms of histoy. Augustus gets a very different portrayal though.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Doctor Spaceman posted:

They dovetail really nicely in terms of histoy. Augustus gets a very different portrayal though.

Ya and HBO is going to be doing an adaptation of it. Also its BRIAN BLESSED What do you expect?

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Mu Zeta posted:

I've been watching Wallander (BBC version), Luther, and The Shadow Line. British people really love making bleak crime dramas.

If you like those, you should definitely check out Cracker.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Rome! I forgot to add that in, I caught that too. I definitely need to see Carnivale, and I won't give up on The Wire

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

bobkatt013 posted:

Ya and HBO is going to be doing an adaptation of it. Also its BRIAN BLESSED What do you expect?

Oh, I meant more that the Augustus in Clavdivs isn't quite as devious and cunning as the one in Rome.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Oh, I meant more that the Augustus in Clavdivs isn't quite as devious and cunning as the one in Rome.

Well Livia took that over for him. He was old and wanted to spend time with his grandkids.

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

Borh posted:

I've been watching Kings lately, and it's such a weird show[...]

And yet I keep watching, partially because the story is intriguing and some of the characters are interesting but mostly because Ian McShane gets a lot of screen time and every single second is a joy to watch.

Yup. I never understood why Kings did so badly and got such harsh criticism from some sectors. Of course, if you ignore the quality of its production, you can probably say that on the whole, it was too religious for half the people, and not religious enough for the rest. Screw those people anyway.

For those like myself that found that a kind of killer balance, it was a great show, political shennanigans, modern retelling, magic realism, an excellent cast and (mostly) writing and direction as good as the best stuff on TV.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
I just finished the first season of Torchwood and thought it was pretty much crap. I heard it's supposed to get much better, though.

Can someone tell me when it's supposed to get much better?

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

qbert posted:

I just finished the first season of Torchwood and thought it was pretty much crap. I heard it's supposed to get much better, though.

Can someone tell me when it's supposed to get much better?

Series 3 Children of Earth is much better than what came before, but is still fairly crap in comparison to anything good.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I like pretty much all the popular comedies - Parks and rec, Community, 30 rock, Party Down, but somehow I just can't get into It's always Sunny. I hate all the characters and didn't laugh once in the first 5 or 6 episodes I made it through before giving up. What's so great about it?

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

It's like a grossly exaggerated Seinfeld. The characters on Seinfeld weren't really terrible people, they just were pretty self-involved and always tended towards trying to do whatever got them the most benefit for the least amount of effort.

However, the characters on It's Always Sunny ARE terrible people who do terrible things and terrible things happen to them as a result. Whereas on Seinfeld the stories usually started with something kinda lame happening to the characters and then them making it worse by being self-centered idiots, the stories on It's Always Sunny usually start with the characters doing something stupid themselves and then making it worse and worse ad nauseam.

I don't particularly like the show either though. The characters on Seinfeld, while being assholes, were immensely likable assholes. I just can't find anything to like about the characters on It's Always Sunny, except that the stupid poo poo they do is sometimes kinda funny.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Thanks for all of the people who said that I should stick with Parks and Recreation. Season 2 has been a hell of a lot better than the first six episodes and I really like how they retooled Leslie Knope from being Femme Michael Scott into a more assertive and dynamic role. I also have a new hero and his name is Ron Swanson.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

Throatwarbler posted:

I like pretty much all the popular comedies - Parks and rec, Community, 30 rock, Party Down, but somehow I just can't get into It's always Sunny. I hate all the characters and didn't laugh once in the first 5 or 6 episodes I made it through before giving up. What's so great about it?

It get better with Dannie Devito as the father but then gets terrible again in the latest season. It has it's moments/episodes that are great but otherwise is pretty terrible the rest of the time. Guess it depends on your taste too, it's pretty morose.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Trying to binge through Breaking Bad seasons 2 and 3 before season 4 starts in July. drat, Bryan Cranston can be terrifying.

Wartime Consigliere
Mar 27, 2010

by T. Fine
Deadwood is awesome, and I am glad I waited this long to watch it, because I knew I'd have to be in a certain mood to get into a Western since it's not a genre I normally watch. I waited until the right mood and now it doesn't matter what mood I am in since I am invested in these characters now. Disc 5 of Season 1 should be here today from Netflix. Deadwood's clogging up my queue with all 3 Seasons back to back right now.

I went through most of The Shield and all of The Wire like that though. 1 Disc at a time.

With TV shows like The Wire, Sopranos, Deadwood, The Shield, Justified, Terriers, Friday Night Lights, etc. I have found that I don't really care for movies much any more. TV has more depth and better quality.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Throatwarbler posted:

Season 2 is where the show really hits its stride (the addition of Danny DeVito), but otherwise I think "The Gang Finds a Dead Guy" is pretty much a perfect litmus test as to whether the show is for you or not.

And the later seasons are fine :colbert:

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Throatwarbler posted:

Yeah, I keep getting recommended that show by people who swear up and down I will like it. I tried a few episodes and didn't laugh either.

I also binged through 30 Rock, and only laughed a handful of times. For some reason I watched all of them, but I didn't really enjoy it. Same for Parks and Rec (though I stopped watching that early on).

Most recently I binged through Breaking Bad on a recommendation and holy poo poo that is good television. I'm not usually one for drama (despite what you may think from earlier comments, I really like comedies), but that show is just amazing. My jaw dropped several times.

I loving love binging through TV shows. Next up: Malcomb in the Middle due to Bryan Cranston being in it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm glad it's not just me who never managed to get into It's Always Sunny. I've tried a few times but can't get past the third episode. There's nothing wrong with it, I just don't laugh. Perhaps we should try some sort of forced marathon thread and see how far in we get.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.
Marathoned Arrested Development the other night. gently caress it was so good, considered sleeping in instead of driving 5 hours home.

...and THATs why you don't marathon Arrested Development the night before a long drive.

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

Speaking of Seinfeld, what's the way to go about getting into that show? I tried a few years back by renting the first season. I'd been told the first season was poor compared to the rest and it really kicked on after that, but I just couldn't sit down and watch it. Kind of struggling to remember exactly what is was, but I think it just seemed quite in-jokey and exclusive right from the go, and I hate shows that think too much of themselves when they haven't earnt it.

I might be wrong about that because it was a while back now. Arrested Development definitely falls into that category though. It thinks its the poo poo, but it's incredibly obvious and not witty/charming enough to get away with it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I watched Seinfeld from the beginning and loved it, but if you didn't I think season 3 or 4 may be a good start. They're generally considered the start of the "golden years", and 4 is the first one to have an arc.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Seinfeld doesn't really lend itself to binging through.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA
American Dad and the entirety of the Adult Swim lineup.

Vivek
Jun 27, 2007

I just started season 3 of Friday Night Lights (two episodes in), and I'm not too happy. Where the gently caress is Jason Street!?.

scr0llwheel
Sep 11, 2004
ohelo
Just finished the first 5 seasons of How I Met Your Mother. I'm not sure why I previously avoided it but it's great. I'm looking forward to starting season 6 soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

landobee
Nov 25, 2004
Be Water
For those who recommended Misfits; thank you very VERY much..
What a great, great show that is! And it has by far the best music ost's ever.