Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

sonicice posted:

Someone in this thread mentioned that the 3D would be in Telesales' system on the 19th. Is that still the case and are they pre-orderable through telesales now?

If you are premier (silver or gold) i believe so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

That's what Telesales told me. In fact, they were going to call me today when it's available. I already got my upgrade reset and ordered from Amazon, so I hope they don't call back.

Telesales can offer the early upgrade override as long as you actually order something from them. Try later in the day and see what happens.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

I'm on the $30 sprint plan with a TP2. I'm absolutely sick of my phone and want an android device. I use my phone for browsing the web, Gps, taking pictures, and txting. I wanted a EVO 3D, but I doubt my small town in Iowa will get 4g anytime soon, so I'm not sure it's worth the extra $240 a year. Is there an Android device that is awesome that works with the $40 Sero plan?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

RodShaft posted:

I'm on the $30 sprint plan with a TP2. I'm absolutely sick of my phone and want an android device. I use my phone for browsing the web, Gps, taking pictures, and txting. I wanted a EVO 3D, but I doubt my small town in Iowa will get 4g anytime soon, so I'm not sure it's worth the extra $240 a year. Is there an Android device that is awesome that works with the $40 Sero plan?

LG Optimus S would be a good upgrade. Obviously not as good as the 3D, but a great phone.

Honestly, you should see if the Arrive or Echo can go on the $40 plan (I think they can since they are not 4G). The Echo wouldn't be a great option at $50 a month, but at $40 I would honestly say its a good enough phone by far. Better than the Optimus for sure. If you like Windows Phone 7 (way better than your TP2) go with the Arrive.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

LG Optimus S would be a good upgrade. Obviously not as good as the 3D, but a great phone.

Honestly, you should see if the Arrive or Echo can go on the $40 plan (I think they can since they are not 4G). The Echo wouldn't be a great option at $50 a month, but at $40 I would honestly say its a good enough phone by far. Better than the Optimus for sure. If you like Windows Phone 7 (way better than your TP2) go with the Arrive.

I'm worried about the battery life on the Echo, and after having 4 windows phones I'm just scared about getting hosed again. I'm just tired of always feeling like I have to trick my phone into doing what I want it to do, and having to charge it every day, and it randomly shutting off when I send txts. Goth do I hate this phone right now.

Shed
Apr 13, 2005

You stupid bitch.
I think the Arrive is an excellent phone, and Windows Phone 7 is very solid. It just doesn't have the same type of support Android does, but it's getting there. Echo is really a hit or miss. I have a coworker that is in love with hers but I hated how bulky it was. Depends if you're into gimmicks or not I guess.

Honestly if I wasn't in love with Android I would have gotten the Arrive, it has the best physical keyboard I've seen and I usually despise them. Plus I live in an area that won't get 4G for awhile.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

RodShaft posted:

I'm worried about the battery life on the Echo, and after having 4 windows phones I'm just scared about getting hosed again. I'm just tired of always feeling like I have to trick my phone into doing what I want it to do, and having to charge it every day, and it randomly shutting off when I send txts. Goth do I hate this phone right now.

I've used both phones as my phone for a week and they are honestly both fantastic. I don't think you will run into your current problems either way. Decide whether you want Android or Windows Phone 7 (both of which are honestly fine), and base that on which one you get. I would bet either would treat you well, and I honestly dispute that theEcho is a complete gimmick (partial gimmick, but drat is it cool having 2 screens in a lot of cases).

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

Quick questions about the Echo:

I read that the Echo doesn't support multitouch zooming in the web browser. Is this still true?

How bad is the battery life, really?

1Ghz Snapdragon, is this the fastest non-4G android sprint phone?

Are there any good emulators on it that let me multitouch the bottom screen while mario bops around the top screen? I like retro games so having them on my phone and playable would be awesome beyond belief.

Ninja Edit: The WinMo7 phone didn't support wifi hotspotting, dealbreaker.

DOUBLE EDIT! "We ♥ you, and to say thanks for spending time with us, you qualified on 02/01/2008 to save $150 on a new device"

RodShaft fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Jun 20, 2011

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

RodShaft posted:

Quick questions about the Echo:

I read that the Echo doesn't support multitouch zooming in the web browser. Is this still true?

How bad is the battery life, really?

1Ghz Snapdragon, is this the fastest non-4G android sprint phone?

Are there any good emulators on it that let me multitouch the bottom screen while mario bops around the top screen? I like retro games so having them on my phone and playable would be awesome beyond belief.

Ninja Edit: The WinMo7 phone didn't support wifi hotspotting, dealbreaker.

DOUBLE EDIT! "We ♥ you, and to say thanks for spending time with us, you qualified on 02/01/2008 to save $150 on a new device"

The Echo is the fastest non-4G smartphone for sure. The main browser doesn't support multi-touch, but I just use Skyifire and the web browsing is much better and multi-touch. I used it for a week, battery life really depends on what you want to use it for, overall its equal to the Evo I would guess. It comes with the extra battery and battery charger, if you make use of that you will never really worry about battery life anyway.

Emulators: nothing customized for the Echo that I know of, sorry dude.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
Isn't the XPRT faster than the Echo? I would also imagine that it will get gingerbread before the Echo since the Droid Pro already got it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Godamnit. Used my backup Pre as an alarm clock, and managed to smack it off the same nightstand that killed my Evo in my barely-awake stupor. Screen cracked enough to break the digitizer. :suicide:

Really, REALLY want the Evo 3D now, assuming I can manage not to kill it.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Stevie Lee posted:

Isn't the XPRT faster than the Echo? I would also imagine that it will get gingerbread before the Echo since the Droid Pro already got it.

Forgot about the XPRT. Honestly I would leave that to personal choice, but I think the Echo holds its own:

2.2 vs 2.3 isn't a big big upgrade

The Echo's screens honestly look pretty sharp, I would bet better than the XPRT.

But again, personal choice.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Godamnit. Used my backup Pre as an alarm clock, and managed to smack it off the same nightstand that killed my Evo in my barely-awake stupor. Screen cracked enough to break the digitizer. :suicide:

Really, REALLY want the Evo 3D now, assuming I can manage not to kill it.

https://www.otterbox.com

:)

Edit: Sprint now has a specific email on restoring upgrades: upgraderestore@sprint.com

http://www.goodandevo.net/2011/06/sprint-sets-up-new-inbox-to-take-htc-evo-upgrade-requests.html

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jun 20, 2011

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL
I don't know if any of you Sprint people can answer this, but here goes...

I bought a NS4G at Best Buy a few weeks ago to start my Sprint service because I had a gift card. I moved it over to my employee plan which is what I'm on now. I was just planning on returning the NS4G for the EVO 3D, but I just got word that the EVO 3D will be available to employees online for $150 on release day. I believe it will be cheaper for me to order it online, but would I qualify for the discounted price? I bought the NS4G when I started my Sprint service, but before I started my employee plan. When I called in to switch my service from the standard unlimited plan to the employee plan, they said they had to create a brand new account and switch my line to it - does that mean my upgrade eligibility would be reset?

That's kind of rambling, but I guess the information I'm trying to glean is - would I be able to grab the phone for its discounted employee price despite buying the NS4G just a few weeks ago? Or will I have to go with my original plan of returning it to Best Buy and just buying the EVO 3D there?'

edit: oh hey also they're gonna offer the View 4G tablet to anyone through EPRP for $199.99 (which includes the Scribe pen), so if anyone is interested in that hit me or one of the other Sprint people in this thread

torb main fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jun 20, 2011

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Alman posted:

does that mean my upgrade eligibility would be reset?
Since this seems to be the heart of that question, can't you just look up your date online, or text 'upgrade' to 1311?

(It seems unlikely that they'd have overlooked that, though.)

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

SLOSifl posted:

I already got my upgrade reset and ordered from Amazon, so I hope they don't call back.

How does ordering through Amazon work? I have my upgrade on my account now, and want to buy the Evo 3D. I just know nothing about how Amazon works with Sprint or vice versa.

Also, do you get it delivered launch day?

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Part of the Amazon Wireless transaction involves checking for upgrade eligibility. Once my upgrade was reset, I had no problem following the prompts on the website. Basically you say "upgrade an existing line", enter some information and it's done.

The estimated shipping date is the 24th, but I didn't have an option to select faster shipping, so I'm looking at normal UPS Ground shipping time.

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL

WoG posted:

Since this seems to be the heart of that question, can't you just look up your date online, or text 'upgrade' to 1311?

(It seems unlikely that they'd have overlooked that, though.)

You're right. Completely forgot about that. Thanks

edit: lol

"Upgrade eligibility information unavailable for this account type"

edit 2: okay, so for EWD accounts the online account/text messaging doesn't work - it's located elsewhere. And apparently I AM eligible for an upgrade :lol:

torb main fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jun 20, 2011

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Forgot about the XPRT. Honestly I would leave that to personal choice, but I think the Echo holds its own:

2.2 vs 2.3 isn't a big big upgrade

The Echo's screens honestly look pretty sharp, I would bet better than the XPRT.

But again, personal choice.

It would drive me mad for potential screen space to be used by a physical keyboard on a candybar style phone, however I did look up the specs and the XPRT has a lower resolution screen(even when the Echo is in single screen mode). the echo is slightly smaller than my touch pro 2(in every dimension including weight). I think I'm gonna mull it for a few days, in hopes it goes down in price when the Evo 3d drops, but I'm 80% sure this is the phone I'm gonna get. Thanks for all your help, and one more question.

How is the picture quality on it? My Touch Pro 2 actually takes worse pictures than my Touch Pro did despite having a higher MP camera. Will I be able to take pictures in a bar without the flash? with the flash?

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Gold premier members should be able to order the 3D online tonight at midnight, yes?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I think my Pre realizes what's happening soon. Stuff is suddenly not opening, every function of the phone has hosed up in the past week temporarily and I think the crack on the front is growing.

This is gonna be a long goddamn week.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

a shameful boehner posted:

Gold premier members should be able to order the 3D online tonight at midnight, yes?

It's all Premier, not just Gold. Not sure about what time they actually open orders, do they do orders overnight or just during business hours?

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

sirbeefalot posted:

I think my Pre realizes what's happening soon. Stuff is suddenly not opening, every function of the phone has hosed up in the past week temporarily and I think the crack on the front is growing.

This is gonna be a long goddamn week.

My Pre's keyboard has decided to only work every other time I open it now. It knows. I'm sorry, baby, Daddy loves you.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Consumer Reports has some early impressions for the Evo 3d up:
http://news.consumerreports.org/electronics/2011/06/first-look-review-htc-evo-3d-is-eye-popping-fun-if-a-strain.html

They're pretty impressed thus far.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

spidoman posted:

http://news.consumerreports.org/electronics/2011/06/first-look-review-htc-evo-3d-is-eye-popping-fun-if-a-strain.html

Man, I hope that orange/gold banded back cover is available somehow. I'm going to end up painting mine if its not. I really like that a lot more than the red for whatever reason.

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL

spidoman posted:

quote:

Bottom line: The HTC Evo 3D will go down in history for pioneering three-dimensional images on smart phones, though this technology clearly remains a work in progress. Nevertheless, the Evo 3D's top-notch hardware and intuitive interface make it one of the best Android phones I've ever used.

Yeah! Take that Engadget! :smugdog:

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Alman posted:

Yeah! Take that Engadget! :smugdog:

I don't think you understand, when running wifi, 3g, 4g, 3d video, 3d games, and internet, the battery starts being used!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

RodShaft posted:

It would drive me mad for potential screen space to be used by a physical keyboard on a candybar style phone, however I did look up the specs and the XPRT has a lower resolution screen(even when the Echo is in single screen mode). the echo is slightly smaller than my touch pro 2(in every dimension including weight). I think I'm gonna mull it for a few days, in hopes it goes down in price when the Evo 3d drops, but I'm 80% sure this is the phone I'm gonna get. Thanks for all your help, and one more question.

How is the picture quality on it? My Touch Pro 2 actually takes worse pictures than my Touch Pro did despite having a higher MP camera. Will I be able to take pictures in a bar without the flash? with the flash?

I never used the camera, so not sure. Its not bad, phonescoop didn't seem to like it from what I remember. Probably average.

The Echo is one phone that can only go down in price. If there is one thing that phone does not do, its sell. I got 4 Echos in on launch day, finally down to 2. That's just sad.

Alman posted:

edit: oh hey also they're gonna offer the View 4G tablet to anyone through EPRP for $199.99 (which includes the Scribe pen), so if anyone is interested in that hit me or one of the other Sprint people in this thread

drat that's a good deal. Is there an EPRP plan for the View, or is it for those who have an EPRP phone plan?

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL

Duckman2008 posted:

drat that's a good deal. Is there an EPRP plan for the View, or is it for those who have an EPRP phone plan?

This is the text:

HTC EVO View 4G
This special promotion is offered exclusively through the Sprint Everything Plus Referral Program, although made available to employees, friends and family and referrals.
Special Everything Plus Referral Program price: $199.99 with the HTC Scribe accessory
Two-year term is required
Compatible rate plans:
$54.99, 5GB 3G on-network; $0.05/MB overage, 300MB 3G off-network; $0.25/MB overage , unlimited 4G; includes unlimited messaging (text, picture and video)
$44.99 - 3GB 3G on-network; $0.05/MB overage, 100MB 3G off-network ; $0.25/MB overage rate, unlimited 4G; includes unlimited messaging (text, picture and video)
$29.99 – 2GB 3G on-network $0.05/MB overage, 100MB 3G off-network; $0.25/MB overage; 4G service not provisioned. Includes unlimited messaging (text, picture and video).
$19.99 -- 1GB 3G on-network; $0.05/MB overage, 100MB 3G off-network; $0.25/MB overage. 4G service not provisioned. Unlimited messaging is not included and, in fact restricted.

To summarize, employees and their friends and family have a couple of options regarding HTC EVO View 4G.
To get the lowest device price, the special $199.99 offer, you will need to purchase through the Sprint Everything Plus program, sign up for a two-year agreement and activate on one of the nationally available rate plans.

torb main fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jun 20, 2011

jfff
Oct 27, 2003
indeed
I swear I'm going in circles talking to Sprint Reps etc. I have an Evo on my plan already, I want to buy an Optimus and a Nexus and convert my EPRP plan into a 3 line Everything Plus Family Plan. This is what happens which leads to confusion.

This makes sense. $109.99 base price for 2lines +$19.99 for the 3rd line.

But then why when I go to set up new service does it give a different total? Looking at starting a new line of service the Plus Family says it's just $14.99 for each additional line after 2.

So $5 dollars a month, who really cares? I continue forward just trying to upgrade my plan online.

Then encounter this while I am going through what each plan needs.

This was while updating services for my Evo. Why is premium data no longer required?

The only phone that required the $10 premium data was the Optimus... putting the total at:

From my math the plan should be 109.99+14.99or19.99(additional line)+10(data)+10(data)+10(data)+7(TEP on one phone)=161.98 or 166.98

So clearly the 2 data charges are not being applied. Should I leave well enough alone and just submit my cart or call telesales and cry for the $5 line difference(would they do anything?) and take the $20 hit for the data they will probably end up charging me anyways? I'd rather have the cheaper additional line fee for when we eventually put 2 more phones on the plan.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

a shameful boehner posted:

But still doesn't get shipped/arrive until the 24th?

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

spidoman posted:

But still doesn't get shipped/arrive until the 24th?

I was under the impression that if we ordered it tonight at midnight, it'd be shipped overnight, or in the next 2 days. Is that no longer the case?

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
I've heard the first customers will have them in hand on the 22nd.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved

Duckman2008 posted:

Edit: Sprint now has a specific email on restoring upgrades: upgraderestore@sprint.com

http://www.goodandevo.net/2011/06/sprint-sets-up-new-inbox-to-take-htc-evo-upgrade-requests.html

What's the turnaround on this email address? I emailed around noon. I bought my Evo at launch, but a couple months ago converted my account to a family plan, hope that doesn't screw me over (though I was told by the store that I was still eligible this month).

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Triikan posted:

What's the turnaround on this email address? I emailed around noon. I bought my Evo at launch, but a couple months ago converted my account to a family plan, hope that doesn't screw me over (though I was told by the store that I was still eligible this month).

No idea, I only know of it through the blog post.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Aredna posted:

I've heard the first customers will have them in hand on the 22nd.

If this is true, hugs for everyone. Can anyone confirm?

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL
In wake of LightSquared announcing the deal with Sprint, there is this:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/20/lightsquared-announces-solution-for-gps-issue-says-lte-networ/

quote:

LightSquared may have steadfastly insisted otherwise, but recent tests showing that its wholesale 4G LTE network interferes with GPS have been getting tough for it to ignore, and it turns out the company has been quietly working on a backup plan. In addition to fessing up that one of the 10MHz blocks used by its network does indeed interfere with many GPS receivers, LightSquared has also now announced a two-fold "solution" to the problem. That will involve it using only a lower block of the 10MHz spectrum that it says doesn't interfere with GPS (with a few "limited" exceptions), and a new agreement with Inmarsat that LightSquared says will let it "accelerate the schedule" to begin using the alternative block of spectrum. Those new measures, LightSquared says, will let it roll out its network in accordance with its original business plan, and give it enough spectrum to serve its customers for the "next several years." What happens after that is a bit less clear, but LightSquared says it believes its network can "live harmoniously, side-by-side, with GPS users," and that "enlightened and responsible spectrum management will give the American public the best of both worlds." The company's full press release is after the break.

jfff
Oct 27, 2003
indeed
Just called telesales and they were no help. Rep talked to his supervisor and the EPRP plans are done... What? I told him I was sitting at a screen that said "order now" for Everything Plus Family at 109.99 and he just kept telling me it's old and not available.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

So what's the best way to get my upgrade date bumped from 7/1 to 6/21? I tried chat and they wanted me to talk to retentions, but I'd like to try and do everything in one call if I have to call... and do they seriously do midnight orders? :v:

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

I was under the impression that to get the discount, you have to renew your contract, meaning you had to goto a store to sign a physical document. Is this not the case? I'm not good with paperwork and I figured I would just go to a store when the new phone gets out, but if it's easy as logging onto the web-site, I might as well order it online somewhere. I can't wait to get rid of my Samsung Moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved

Bioshuffle posted:

I was under the impression that to get the discount, you have to renew your contract, meaning you had to goto a store to sign a physical document. Is this not the case? I'm not good with paperwork and I figured I would just go to a store when the new phone gets out, but if it's easy as logging onto the web-site, I might as well order it online somewhere. I can't wait to get rid of my Samsung Moment.

You don't have to sign anything.

I had SERO for 2.5 years. Ordered online, got phone shipped to me, and didn't step foot into a store until the Evo came out.

Triikan fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jun 21, 2011