Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JointHorse
Feb 7, 2005

Lusus naturę et exaltabitur cor eius.

Yams Fan

Blinky Blinkerson posted:

Did you have to "Ace Ventura" that poo poo home ? Never seen anything like that before.

No. My dad's workplace was nearby, so I called him and after a quick look we removed most of the glass and he drove it to his workplace, where it stayed until we could install a new windshield (made sure it was the laminated type). I was still a bit too shaken up to drive anything :v:

Godholio posted:

That is crazy awesome-looking...pretty sure I'd have sucked up the seat cushion though. How old is "older style" like that?
The car in question is a 1974 Mercedes 406 van, so it probably had the original windshield on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACEofsnett
Feb 19, 2007

FILTHY CASUAL | CONSOLE PEASANT

JointHorse posted:

No. My dad's workplace was nearby, so I called him and after a quick look we removed most of the glass and he drove it to his workplace, where it stayed until we could install a new windshield (made sure it was the laminated type). I was still a bit too shaken up to drive anything :v:

The car in question is a 1974 Mercedes 406 van, so it probably had the original windshield on.

Post pics in the pic thread! A non sprinter Mercedes van is very strange to my American sensibilities.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Totalled? Not on his watch.

Drove in under its own power for an oil change today.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

14 INCH DICK TURBO posted:

Totalled? Not on his watch.

Drove in under its own power for an oil change today.

You're got a pit at your Firestone? Is it a big shop? We don't have one but it'd be nice.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Breast Pussy posted:

You're got a pit at your Firestone? Is it a big shop? We don't have one but it'd be nice.

Quite frankly the pit scares the poo poo out of me, it's the first shop I've worked at with one and if you don't watch your step its a long, hard, corner filled way down.

E: 10 bays total I believe.

Hermaphrodite
Oct 2, 2004

Luckily, I CAN go fuck myself!
Is he using a Stratocaster as his seat cushion?:guitar:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Holy poo poo, I didn't even notice that. How does a person reach THAT decision?

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
How does one drive a "vehicle" like that onto a public road without the police instantly coming out of nowhere and asking you what the gently caress?

That's not even a car, that's a bunch of scrap metal vaguely imitating a car.

Edit: also if you don't mind saying what on earth could the person driving that possibly have looked like? I can't even imagine.

Vanagoon fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jun 19, 2011

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Vanagoon posted:

Edit: also if you don't mind saying what on earth could the person driving that possibly have looked like? I can't even imagine.

Didn't catch the driver, only heard the buzz and then I got the ticket. And with how ticket happy police in Seattle seem to be, it's a huge case of :psyduck:

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Secure your boats, people.

Question: is that BMW totalled? It probably drives just fine, but the unibody is kinda hosed.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Yeah, it's totalled. But if it's a 530d (which I think it is), someone could be doing a pretty cool engine swap soon.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

KozmoNaut posted:

Yeah, it's totalled. But if it's a 530d (which I think it is), someone could be doing a pretty cool engine swap soon.

No, definitively an E91.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

evobatman posted:

No, definitively an E91.

330d, then :)

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Vanagoon posted:

How does one drive a "vehicle" like that onto a public road without the police instantly coming out of nowhere and asking you what the gently caress?

If you'd owned it since it could pass an inspection, that'd be a perfectly legal Maryland car; they only inspect once, when you title it. I live in the state next door. :smithicide:

We give Maryland plates an extra 300 feet whenever possible around here so we can dodge falling parts.

RoboCriminal
Sep 21, 2007
Sup

bolind posted:

Secure your boats, people.

Question: is that BMW totalled? It probably drives just fine, but the unibody is kinda hosed.

I can't tell if its a trick of perspective from the picture, but the rear left tire looks to be canted inwards a good bit more then usual, which is a pretty good indication the alignment/unibody is probably FUBARed.

E; I also admittedly have very little experience trailering giant sailboats, but I kinda would have thought they might have tried to strap that thing down a little before attaching it to station wagon #2.

It looks like they went "well poo poo that didn't work, hopefully we won't have to stop this time."

RoboCriminal fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jun 21, 2011

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

As if the crushed roof isn't a good indicator. :smith:

BuckT.Trend
Apr 22, 2003

My god, it's full of stars!

Didn't catch the driver, only heard the buzz and then I got the ticket. And with how ticket happy police in Seattle seem to be, it's a huge case of :psyduck:

Jesus. What part of Seattle, so I can avoid driving anywhere near there?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

BuckT.Trend posted:

Jesus. What part of Seattle, so I can avoid driving anywhere near there?

Ballard. He called us today and tried to get us to fix his power steering and fix the hood latch and hood struts and the sales writer had to spend 15 minutes telling him no, get it road legal and more than a piece of a guitar for a seat and we'd be happy to help. I sat there with an I told you we shouldnt have even brought it in to begin with look while listening to the conversation :D

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

RoboCriminal posted:

I can't tell if its a trick of perspective from the picture, but the rear left tire looks to be canted inwards a good bit more than usual, which is a pretty good indication the alignment/unibody is probably FUBARed.

BMWs usually have quite a bit of negative camber on the rear, plus the car isn't parked on an even surface, and is loaded slightly, so...

RoboCriminal posted:

E; I also admittedly have very little experience trailering giant sailboats, but I kinda would have thought they might have tried to strap that thing down a little before attaching it to station wagon #2.

It looks like they went "well poo poo that didn't work, hopefully we won't have to stop this time."

Well, I guess the crane just set down the boat. The dude is even holding a bunch of straps in his hand. Reasonably sure they're not dumb enough to do the same thing twice.

Edit: here's a third picture of the boat being strapped down:

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:
The boat looks totally fine. Weird.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

renraku posted:

The boat looks totally fine. Weird.

Looks like there were 2 boats. The damaged boat isn't shown.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Ballard. He called us today and tried to get us to fix his power steering and fix the hood latch and hood struts and the sales writer had to spend 15 minutes telling him no, get it road legal and more than a piece of a guitar for a seat and we'd be happy to help. I sat there with an I told you we shouldnt have even brought it in to begin with look while listening to the conversation :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBgIvH0tu6Y

Best example of driving in Ballard. Its pretty ridiculous, but after living here for so many years, you get used to it and give the old Norwegians extra room on the road.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Shaocaholica posted:

Looks like there were 2 boats. The damaged boat isn't shown.

Uhm, yeah. The bigass crane just disposed of the crashed one behind those bushes there. And then Beemer dude's boating buddy showed up, blocked a lane, and then unstrapped then restrapped his own boat.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Alright, gotta get home before dinner in the oven burns... what, officer? What do you mean I CAN'T get into my drivew-

Oh.

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.

iastudent posted:

Alright, gotta get home before dinner in the oven burns... what, officer? What do you mean I CAN'T get into my drivew-

Another L67 bites the dust. SUPERCHARGED!

Not sure if that vehicle was included on the recalls, not that the recall fixed the fire issues anyhow.

niggerstink420
Aug 7, 2009

by T. Fine

iastudent posted:

Oh.

I'm glad they actually used PPE, but foam on a simple car fire? Must be nice to have money to waste.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Epic Fail Guy posted:

I'm glad they actually used PPE, but foam on a simple car fire? Must be nice to have money to waste.

Some departments use foam on car fires because it will go bad sitting in the tank before we get to blow our loads on a real job.

Yes, I've been a volley in some really sleepy towns.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Where did the rest of the hood go?

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

D C posted:

Where did the rest of the hood go?

Into the atmosphere (how flammable is carbon fiber, anyway?)

Revolvyerom
Nov 12, 2005

Hell yes, tell him we're plenty front right now.

iastudent posted:

Oh.
...did that melt the radiator out of the car?

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

Revolvyerom posted:

...did that melt the radiator out of the car?

:confused: Hot enough to vaporize the rad, but the tires didn't pop?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Sponge! posted:

:confused: Hot enough to vaporize the rad, but the tires didn't pop?

Happens all the time. Heat goes up. The fire load is on top and the front of the motor, as well as in front of the radiator (plastic grille). When it's really burning, it often makes a chimney effect that draws air through the wheel wells, actually cooling the tires.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Epic Fail Guy posted:

I thought they used foam due to the chances of magnesium burning in a car fire?

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

Motronic posted:

Happens all the time. Heat goes up. The fire load is on top and the front of the motor, as well as in front of the radiator (plastic grille). When it's really burning, it often makes a chimney effect that draws air through the wheel wells, actually cooling the tires.

How did you come to know this?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

some texas redneck posted:

I thought they used foam due to the chances of magnesium burning in a car fire?

Foam doesn't help one bit with magnesium. Foam is still mostly water, and all it does is make pretty colors when you hit it with water. Unless you hit it with A LOT of water. Dirt and sand and some shovers is always a better plan.

NOTinuyasha posted:

How did you come to know this?

I am a trained fire investigator and the Fire Marshal (which makes me the chief investigator and enforcement authority) of a small town. I've also been a firefighter in one capacity or another (volley or paid) for almost 20 years. I started when I was 18.

JD Brickmeister
Sep 4, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Motronic posted:

I am a trained fire investigator and the Fire Marshal (which makes me the chief investigator and enforcement authority) of a small town. I've also been a firefighter in one capacity or another (volley or paid) for almost 20 years. I started when I was 18.

Well I have driven past a handful of automobile fires, including a spectacular RV fire where melted plastic was literally pouring out of the back of the vehicle. So I appreciate all your "qualifications", but I think I know a little bit about what I am saying, bub.

niggerstink420
Aug 7, 2009

by T. Fine

Motronic posted:

Foam doesn't help one bit with magnesium. Foam is still mostly water, and all it does is make pretty colors when you hit it with water. Unless you hit it with A LOT of water. Dirt and sand and some shovers is always a better plan.

Yeah, the bag of sand we keep for spill cleanup works like a champ for magnesium fires.

It's too bad I never usually pick up on the bright white flames before going all nuts with the smoothbore :jp:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

JD Brickmeister posted:

Well I have driven past a handful of automobile fires, including a spectacular RV fire where melted plastic was literally pouring out of the back of the vehicle. So I appreciate all your "qualifications", but I think I know a little bit about what I am saying, bub.

You're totally right. I'm sorry.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
ha, just saw this on a friend of a friend's facebook:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

jamal posted:

ha, just saw this on a friend of a friend's facebook:

Every now and then the internet just smacks you upside the face with how small it's made the world.