Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
This is going to be incredibly specific, so I'm not even sure if there are any games that do this but.... I'm looking for an FPS where, along with shooting people, you also have the option of controlling something like an AC-130 remotely. Not so much directly, like where you'd need to swap your view or anything, but more like you'd just point to an area on the ground and press a "mark" button, and the artillery would magically rain down from a specific point in the sky onto that spot while you kept on running around and doing your thing.

If there aren't any games with this capability already, can ArmA II or a modded Fallout 3/New Vegas do this?

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jun 21, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barent
Jun 15, 2007

Never die in vain.
After recently playing and finishing the evil path of Soul Nomad, I'd like more games where you can be unabashedly evil and villainous. Doesn't really matter what genre or time period or whatever. What I don't want is games like Fallout/inFamous with hamfisted karma meters where you end up still being the hero. Something more in the vein of Overlord 1 and 2.

Thanks!

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh

GreatGreen posted:

This is going to be incredibly specific, so I'm not even sure if there are any games that do this but.... I'm looking for an FPS where, along with shooting people, you also have the option of controlling something like an AC-130 remotely. Not so much directly, like where you'd need to swap your view or anything, but more like you'd just point to an area on the ground and press a "mark" button, and the artillery would magically rain down from a specific point in the sky onto that spot while you kept on running around and doing your thing.

If there aren't any games with this capability already, can ArmA II or a modded Fallout 3/New Vegas do this?

There's a weapon like that in New Vegas, it's at the Enclave power station thing that the Enclave occupy. And then you can find the weapon to mark targets in Freeside off a little kid.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

GreatGreen posted:

Battlefield 2

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Barent posted:

After recently playing and finishing the evil path of Soul Nomad, I'd like more games where you can be unabashedly evil and villainous. Doesn't really matter what genre or time period or whatever. What I don't want is games like Fallout/inFamous with hamfisted karma meters where you end up still being the hero. Something more in the vein of Overlord 1 and 2.

Thanks!

It's one of the most obvious answers, so sorry if you've played it, but Planescape: Torment is often cited as having the best "evil" choices of any game.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

GreatGreen posted:

It's not a FPS, but Mercenaries 1 and 2 both have airstrikes and artillery support you can call in using laser or smoke designators.

Zexerous
May 5, 2006

No Alibi. No Justice. No Dream. No Club.

Loving Life Partner posted:

If you can stand limited graphics, check out AstroEmpires.com

Free to play MMO spaceboat game.

Only play this game if you loving LOVE spreadsheets.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Zexerous posted:

Only play this game if you loving LOVE spreadsheets.

What is it about space sims and spreadsheets? EVE, MoO3, this game... apparently, nothing says "adventures in space" more than a good ole' pivot table.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I like older style jRPG stuff like Final Fantasy and Dragon Warrior but I don't really care for Persona games. I've already played Tales of Vesperia and Lost Odyssey, is there anything else out there? At this point I'm almost ready to get some handhelds again since it seems like thats where that market went.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I've been searching for a certain game for a while, but I am not sure if it exists. I wanted a sort of fantasy grand-strategy. I've tried the HOMM games, and I like them, but they feel a little bit too small scale. Something that retains the heroes, giving them equipment, watching them level up and choosing skills/spells, but also has large armies, and bonus points if it has an underworld/another plane/shadowrealm.

Something kind of close was the old Warlords games, I mostly played 2 and 3, but I don't think you can find those any longer. I like lots of factions to try out, lots of different random events, different kind of environments and locations to explore, etc. Honestly, a fantasy version of something like Galactic Civilizations 2 would be somewhat close.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Contest Winner posted:

I've been searching for a certain game for a while, but I am not sure if it exists. I wanted a sort of fantasy grand-strategy. I've tried the HOMM games, and I like them, but they feel a little bit too small scale. Something that retains the heroes, giving them equipment, watching them level up and choosing skills/spells, but also has large armies, and bonus points if it has an underworld/another plane/shadowrealm.

Something kind of close was the old Warlords games, I mostly played 2 and 3, but I don't think you can find those any longer. I like lots of factions to try out, lots of different random events, different kind of environments and locations to explore, etc. Honestly, a fantasy version of something like Galactic Civilizations 2 would be somewhat close.

Master of Magic, the Age of Wonders games, and Dominions 3 are pretty much exactly what you're looking for. All three of them are similar in that you play a demigod-like archmage who builds up a civilization of worshippers, and tries to beat his rivals with spells and armies and conquest.

Master of Magic is the oldest but also the best in some ways: it has a very "HOMM meets Civilization" feel. Nothing beats casting Great Wasting or Armageddon and watching the entire world go to poo poo as fertile lands slowly turn into volcanoes (volcanoes that give you mana, no less,) and fire rains from the sky, gradually killing town populations and units indiscriminately. The Age of Wonders games feel a little less epic, to me, but are otherwise quite similar.

Dominions 3 is incredibly, ridiculously detailed, but it's lacking in real tactical combat (unlike the other two games, combat is resolved more or less automatically; you can determine the army composition and give a rough strategy outline, but you don't get direct tactical input.) It's also only really good in multiplayer, but if multiplayer is what you're looking for, it's probably the best game for that. There's perpetually a Dominions 3 thread in Games, check it out if you wanna see what it's like.

Dominions 3 doesn't have another plane; Master of Magic and Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic do. Otherwise, all three games meet all of your criteria :)

Ashenai fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jun 21, 2011

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

The Gunslinger posted:

I like older style jRPG stuff like Final Fantasy and Dragon Warrior but I don't really care for Persona games. I've already played Tales of Vesperia and Lost Odyssey, is there anything else out there? At this point I'm almost ready to get some handhelds again since it seems like thats where that market went.

I'm pretty sure most 'classic' jRPG stuff is on handhelds, there is how ever breath of death and cthulhu saves the world on the xbox live indie arcade.

GreatGreen posted:

Battlefield Bad Company 1 & 2 both let you do this, even in multiplayer, 2 is better though. Also echoing the Mercenaries games, it's pretty much point the targeting laser at the target the game.

Peppi
May 17, 2011

by Lowtax
So I'm getting a ps3 when I get my paycheck on friday, and I'm wondering on what games to get.

The fiancee wants a driving game so Dirt 3 or Shift 2 seem to be the most likely choices, as GT5 is just utter poo poo based on the 30 minutes I spent on it at a friend of mine. Please correct me if the terrible loading times and general stupidity of GT5 are fixed in some patch.

I'm also thinking about MK9, Demon's Souls and maybe Bayonetta. I remember Bayonetta having some framerate issues on the PS3. Are those fixed or should I just get some Devil May Cry or something else with similar gameplay (what?) instead?

Barent
Jun 15, 2007

Never die in vain.

Peppi posted:

So I'm getting a ps3 when I get my paycheck on friday, and I'm wondering on what games to get.

The fiancee wants a driving game so Dirt 3 or Shift 2 seem to be the most likely choices, as GT5 is just utter poo poo based on the 30 minutes I spent on it at a friend of mine. Please correct me if the terrible loading times and general stupidity of GT5 are fixed in some patch.

I'm also thinking about MK9, Demon's Souls and maybe Bayonetta. I remember Bayonetta having some framerate issues on the PS3. Are those fixed or should I just get some Devil May Cry or something else with similar gameplay (what?) instead?

Bayonetta and DMC4 are both very good. Bayonetta most definitely has better gameplay and is more fun, but still has some framerate issues. MK9 is also well worth it.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
I want to play a flash/RTS game where you can occupy enemy land/empires and get their resources. Basically I want a better version of Zynga's Empires and Allies, without the bullshit timers they put on you to entice you to pay real money for energy refills. Is there a game out there like it?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Peppi posted:

Demon's Souls is very good, and not as OMGWTF hard as people claim. It's punishing but far from impossible. I'd heard that Bayonetta's framerate issues have been fixed but I have it on 360, not PS3, so I can't confirm that. If they have been, then it's definitely worth getting - it's easily on par with DMC3 as far as crazy action fun goes. Much better than DMC4 in my opinion.

Vexrm
Feb 2, 2009

Full of hot raspberry jam blooded passion.
Hey folks I would love a non-mmo PC game that holds up to five people comfortably that's a bit off the normal beaten path. Any suggestions?

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I'm looking for a world-management sim game. I've been really hooked on Fate of the World recently, and while it doesn't need to be turn or card based, the idea of trying to manage an entire planet is kind of an appealing idea, kind of like a modern Sim-Earth. Is there anything else out there like that?

Found Sound
Jun 8, 2010

Here's what I've got a hankering for: Open world RPG where you control a party. I'd like the party members to be player created instead of being pre-determined companions. Combat is preferably actiony and in real-time rather than turn-based tactical. Also, it should be modern-ish; I find that the old-school Might & Magic, Wizardry type dungeon crawls haven't aged too well for my tastes.

Anything out there that matches those criteria?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Found Sound posted:

Here's what I've got a hankering for: Open world RPG where you control a party. I'd like the party members to be player created instead of being pre-determined companions. Combat is preferably actiony and in real-time rather than turn-based tactical. Also, it should be modern-ish; I find that the old-school Might & Magic, Wizardry type dungeon crawls haven't aged too well for my tastes.

Anything out there that matches those criteria?

Neverwinter Nights 2 has an expansion called Storms of Zehir that's exactly this.

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Vexrm posted:

Hey folks I would love a non-mmo PC game that holds up to five people comfortably that's a bit off the normal beaten path. Any suggestions?

Do you have a preferred genre? Are you looking for Co-op or competitive. Online only, or is LAN preferable?

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vexrm posted:

I've you've never played it before then Hidden and Dangerous Deluxe is both an amazingly good co-op game and has been completely free with expansions for some time now.

http://www.hidden-and-dangerous.net/deluxe/download.php

It's co-op upto 4 players, we initially first played through it while on a LAN, but we still re-visit it now and then using Hamachi and Skype (or Vent, I guess) and it's just as good.

Found Sound
Jun 8, 2010

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Neverwinter Nights 2 has an expansion called Storms of Zehir that's exactly this.

Awesome, I never did get around to NWN2. Thanks!

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Found Sound posted:

Awesome, I never did get around to NWN2. Thanks!

Skip the base game though.

Vexrm
Feb 2, 2009

Full of hot raspberry jam blooded passion.

Trollologist posted:

Do you have a preferred genre? Are you looking for Co-op or competitive. Online only, or is LAN preferable?

Mostly the WoW group got tired of WoW and as real life friends are looking for something to muck around with. We can't agree on MMOs. We are open to any genre. As a group, it would be impossible to get us all agree on a genre and none of us are really hardcore about a certain one. The problem is the amount of "played that to death". I'm looking for something off the beaten path so we don't run into that issue. It's insanely hard to find out how many players a PC game supports. I never thought it would be that hard.

LAN or Online is doable. Co-op is slightly prefered, but competitive is fine. The big stumbling block seems to be that five player thing. It's really just an excuse, but the excuse is the reason to make sure we hang out weekly.

My personal preference is something that won't have 15 minutes of one person taking a single turn. As much as I love turn based stragedy (and I do) it wouldn't be enough to keep the excuse going.

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet
My boss wants to set up a little temporary gaming area to try to use to promote our business during PAX. I guess we want to do something that will have a fairly high turnover and not be totally boring for the people who are just watching and waiting for their turn or whatever. My boss suggested Street Fighter. I think Guitar Hero would go over well. But I don't really play those types of video games. I generally prefer games that are boring to watch and involve a significant time commitment. So, I guess I'm looking for game suggestions as well as for input from people who have participated in a similar type of thing. I think we're leaning towards Xbox 360, but we have access to plenty of Wiis and PS3s, too.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

I want to build poo poo in space. I really enjoyed X3:TR and sunk many hours into it but found it to be somewhat dry and really slow, even with 10x SETA. What else is there?

Alternatively, what's the best of the Impressions City building series? I had a blast with Pharaoh and Caesar III but is there anything better? Even in other series?

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Bouchacha posted:

I want to build poo poo in space. I really enjoyed X3:TR and sunk many hours into it but found it to be somewhat dry and really slow, even with 10x SETA. What else is there?

"Build poo poo in space" actually includes a suprising number of different genres. Galactic Civilizations 2 is your best bet, I think, but Masters of Orion 2 and EVE Online also fit the bill, and all three games are the best at what they do (they just do very different things.)

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Ashenai posted:

"Build poo poo in space" actually includes a suprising number of different genres. Galactic Civilizations 2 is your best bet, I think, but Masters of Orion 2 and EVE Online also fit the bill, and all three games are the best at what they do (they just do very different things.)

I was thinking something with less combat focus and more in line with the Anno series. I thoroughly enjoyed Moo2 and have yet to play GC2 but EVE was only fun for me when I wasn't playing and reading about it instead.

Jadz
Jan 8, 2004

Stuck in the middle with you.

Peppi posted:

I don't know if it's still being offered, or if that was a one-time deal that I got lucky to spot, but Burnout Paradise was on the PSN store for a while as a pack with all the add-ons and extra vehicles and stuff for ridiculously cheap; I think I paid like $15 for the whole thing? It's a fun driving/racing game, and the crashes are spectacular.

Also recommending Demon's Souls. You cannot go wrong there, definitely one of the better action RPGs I've ever played. If you're looking for something similar to DMC/Bayonetta's combat, might I suggest looking up Darksiders? The combat is pretty similar to those types of titles, but it also has a good deal of exploration with puzzles and pattern bosses, ala Zelda. It's a very cool game, and you get to play as War, one of the four horsemen of the apocolypse :black101: I'm actually pretty excited that a sequel is coming, and you get to play as War's brother, Death! Ought to be pretty rad.

edit:

Eyeball posted:

My boss wants to set up a little temporary gaming area to try to use to promote our business during PAX. I guess we want to do something that will have a fairly high turnover and not be totally boring for the people who are just watching and waiting for their turn or whatever. My boss suggested Street Fighter. I think Guitar Hero would go over well. But I don't really play those types of video games. I generally prefer games that are boring to watch and involve a significant time commitment. So, I guess I'm looking for game suggestions as well as for input from people who have participated in a similar type of thing. I think we're leaning towards Xbox 360, but we have access to plenty of Wiis and PS3s, too.

Guitar Hero's probably a pretty good bet. You can pick it up and set it down in just a couple minutes, and it's a reasonably fun time-waster. You could also pull a Wal-Mart and just have a demo disc running with some quick stuff like Fight Night, Forza Motorsports or Top Spin. Something that doesn't require a time investment and can just be picked up by anyone and played for a few minutes is what you want.

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv Me and my brother had a lot of fun with Trine, and there's a sequel for that coming. That Tomb Raider game where Lara teams up with the Mayan dude or whatever he is (I think it's called Guardian of Light) was sort of fun, too. I don't recall if it's on the Playstation, or if it's just a 360 Arcade title, but Zombie Apocalypse was pretty fun for a while as well.

Jadz fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jun 23, 2011

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
Sometimes my brother likes to come over and we play split screen crap on my PS3. At the moment we've only got Hunted: the Demon's Forge (which I don't really like, but co-op shenanigans can make bad games fun) and clearly, we should be playing something actually fun. We've done the whole Portal 2 shebang, what other stuff should we try out? Generic co-op shooters aren't really our thing.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

cat doter posted:

Sometimes my brother likes to come over and we play split screen crap on my PS3. At the moment we've only got Hunted: the Demon's Forge (which I don't really like, but co-op shenanigans can make bad games fun) and clearly, we should be playing something actually fun. We've done the whole Portal 2 shebang, what other stuff should we try out? Generic co-op shooters aren't really our thing.

Scott Pilgrim vs the World is a great split-screen game if you like retro beat em ups.

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

il cinema è la vita e viceversa

Ashenai posted:

GalCiv 2 is great but the big thing that disappointed me about it eventually was that there's basically no strategy involved in managing planets and construction on them. All it boils down to is stuffing them with factories if they're mineral rich and surrounded by mines, research buildings if they have relics, and if they're huge population centers then make them entertainment/trade hubs. Later on it's even more simpler, 'do I need more production, more research or more wealth?' The answer is usually research or production.

It's still a great Civ style space game but it lacks the management depth of those Meier games it emulates.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

cat doter posted:

On July 5th, Earth Defense Force: Insect Armageddon comes out. And it will be awesome (I really, really hope).

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Posted this in the Steam thread, but it technically would be better served here.

Some of my friends enjoy watching me stream games over Livestream, but problem I have is picking out good action-y games that are enjoyable for others to watch. The enjoyment of the audience is important, after all. So far I've done runs through Batman: AA, Dead Space 1 and Darksiders.

So, could you folks recommend me some games with a nice pace that could keep my friends entertained as I kick rear end/fail hilariously? FPS/TPS and platformers seem to provide the best entertainment, or RPGs that don't require too much menu shuffling.

Another concern I have is how intensive the game is on the hardware. I've got a four year old desktop (9800 gtx, intel e6850, 2 gb of ram) and a more recent ASUS laptop (radeon HD 5145, intel i5-M450, 4gb of ram). The desktop runs most stuff I play fine, although it has a problem with the video card just shutting down during some games. Livestream also tacks on another fair bit of resource usage.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Tsurupettan posted:

Posted this in the Steam thread, but it technically would be better served here.

Some of my friends enjoy watching me stream games over Livestream, but problem I have is picking out good action-y games that are enjoyable for others to watch. The enjoyment of the audience is important, after all. So far I've done runs through Batman: AA, Dead Space 1 and Darksiders.

So, could you folks recommend me some games with a nice pace that could keep my friends entertained as I kick rear end/fail hilariously? FPS/TPS and platformers seem to provide the best entertainment, or RPGs that don't require too much menu shuffling.

Another concern I have is how intensive the game is on the hardware. I've got a four year old desktop (9800 gtx, intel e6850, 2 gb of ram) and a more recent ASUS laptop (radeon HD 5145, intel i5-M450, 4gb of ram). The desktop runs most stuff I play fine, although it has a problem with the video card just shutting down during some games. Livestream also tacks on another fair bit of resource usage.

Amnesia could be a cool game to watch. It'd be like a scary movie, and I don't think the system requirements are too heavy. Dead Space 2, perhaps? Oh, there's also this weird game called Cargo: The Quest for Gravity, that looks....unique? I don't know much about it though. I think there may be vehicle construction, so that might not be the pace you're looking for.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Harmonica posted:

It's still a great Civ style space game but it lacks the management depth of those Meier games it emulates.

If memory serves, the developers of GalCiv balanced their game on feel, leading to Building A Producing Six Ys sometimes producing 10Ys, and then the next turn, 2Ys,etc.

I think they changed some things to stop this, though. My memory on the details is hazy, but there was something in the vanilla game that, if not used every turn, was wasted. To avoid this waste (which could get significant), you had to adjust your currency usage every turn.

Eventually (and a lot of No We're Not Changing It, That's How Its Supposed To Be), they made it so that the energy isn't 'paid' unless its being used.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4
I just picked up a new tower PC and it's my first ever (I mean ever) PC with decent graphics oomph. It's quad core, 2.80GHz OC to 3.80GHz, 4GB RAM and a GEForce GTX 460 stuck in there.

I'm looking for anything that fits the following bills:

Oblivion-style deep RPG shizzle

Good online shooter FPS isn't CoD

I was looking at the Thief series and wondered if they hold up at all these days?

Any good online co-op stuff I could play with a friend? I'm specifically thinking of two player campaign modes.

There was that Sniper series I remember from a couple of years back - are they any good?

Any graphics-intensive game (not Crysis) that is critically acclaimed.

Sorry, a bit vague, but I'm basically looking to get stuck into PC games in a big way because I've missed out all these years, but I have no idea where to start.

gently caress me, that Duke Nukem Forever demo was bad.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Gazmachine posted:

I just picked up a new tower PC and it's my first ever (I mean ever) PC with decent graphics oomph. It's quad core, 2.80GHz OC to 3.80GHz, 4GB RAM and a GEForce GTX 460 stuck in there.

I'm looking for anything that fits the following bills:

Oblivion-style deep RPG shizzle

Good online shooter FPS isn't CoD

I was looking at the Thief series and wondered if they hold up at all these days?

Any good online co-op stuff I could play with a friend? I'm specifically thinking of two player campaign modes.

There was that Sniper series I remember from a couple of years back - are they any good?

Any graphics-intensive game (not Crysis) that is critically acclaimed.

Sorry, a bit vague, but I'm basically looking to get stuck into PC games in a big way because I've missed out all these years, but I have no idea where to start.

gently caress me, that Duke Nukem Forever demo was bad.

Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas are both Oblivion style games you might like. As for a good online FPS, Left 4 Dead 2 is something I just picked up so is fresh in my mind as a recommendation, and has both co-op and competitive online modes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
Pretty much looking for a freestyle survival PC game with some depth and choice, preferably zombie related but i'll take anything given how rare they are. Heavy emphasis being survival, but busting heads is a bonus. Two player co-op would be great too, but let's be realistic. I've already heard of Project Zomboid but i'll have to wait until it's further in development and fleshed out. :)

Alternately any zombie game, although preferably not abstract (like Atom Zombie Smasher). No not left for loving dead.

Captain Diarrhoea fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jun 23, 2011