Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

quote:

Weiner and King James both suffer from ESPN (Extraordinary Sanctimonious Pompous Narcissistic) Syndrome.

Ugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
heh. That guy's name is Weiner.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

R.D. Mangles posted:

Ugh.

I finally stopped reading at "Bozo Bonds" so I didn't get this far but that article was seriously The Worst.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Wait, so is Grantland back up for you guys? I'm still getting that same placeholder page with the basketball/soccer ball.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I had no idea The Assimilated Negro was writing for them, too. They have a murderer's row of bloggers that bloggers read.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

OctoberBlues posted:

Wait, so is Grantland back up for you guys? I'm still getting that same placeholder page with the basketball/soccer ball.

Go there and try hitting ctrl-F5

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

God drat Deadspin really loving hates Grantland/Simmons. http://deadspin.com/5813690/introducing-the-grantland-comments-and-corrections-desk

Orgophlax fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jun 21, 2011

Medical Sword
May 23, 2005

Goghing, Goghing, gone

Orgophlax posted:

God drat Deadspin really loving hates Grandland/Simmons. http://deadspin.com/5813690/introducing-the-grantland-comments-and-corrections-desk

Hmm I wonder why deadspin would hate grantland.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

I don't know any history, other than some dude from Deadspin stopped another from writing for Grantland. That "article" is just really petty was my point.

EDIT: Other than the fact that Deadspin is terrible.

Orgophlax fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jun 21, 2011

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I was going to post that deadspin article yesterday. They are so jealous you can just feel the hatred. They have to be angry so far Grantland has turned out to be awesome, totally surpassing my expectations (which were high as I will admit I actually enjoy Bill Simmons). They even have the humblebrag guy!

Bizob
Dec 18, 2004

Tiger out of nowhere!
Its almost as if Deadspin (and gawker media in general) has trashed its brand in so many ways that no one who can avoid it actually wants to work with or for them. And its almost as if Daulerio and Denton are catty, obsessive creepsters.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
If there's one Deadspin/Grantland thing I'm looking forward to, it's the inevitable Tom Scocca/Chris Jones fight. Round two, if you will.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Bizob posted:

Its almost as if Deadspin (and gawker media in general) has trashed its brand in so many ways that no one who can avoid it actually wants to work with or for them. And its almost as if Daulerio and Denton are catty, obsessive creepsters.

does anyone have that graph showing the site view figures before and after the layout change

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Fag Boy Jim posted:

does anyone have that graph showing the site view figures before and after the layout change

Alexa doesn't show anything weird but I thought this was funny:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
oh never mind, i found it

:supaburn:

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Wow, I had no idea Gizmodo was so popular.

Bizob
Dec 18, 2004

Tiger out of nowhere!
Was there ever any explanation for the format change? I remember seeing some passive aggressive, "This is all going exactly how we wanted and the people who hate it just don't understand" type messaging from Denton afterwards, but I never got why they changed it up so much in the first place.

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP
The change was supposed to increase the number of page impressions.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

All the change did was make my Firefox freeze for about thirty seconds before any Gawker/Deadspin/etc. page loaded.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Fag Boy Jim posted:

oh never mind, i found it

:supaburn:
That is absolutely brutal.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

Bizob posted:

Was there ever any explanation for the format change? I remember seeing some passive aggressive, "This is all going exactly how we wanted and the people who hate it just don't understand" type messaging from Denton afterwards, but I never got why they changed it up so much in the first place.

#1 Increase pageviews
#2 Make them more like magazines

Not sure why they thought of the design as magaziney, or any of their content as magazine like given that their longest articles are still rather short.

Also since part of the salary of the writers is determined by pageviews you're going to get a lot of schlock

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
Not to detract from the Gawker/Deadspin hate parade but you should all read this story right now because this story owns.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

Not to detract from the Gawker/Deadspin hate parade but you should all read this story right now because this story owns.

That... is a loving stupendous story and I'm glad I read it. Seriously.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA
http://www.montlakemadness.com/a-quick-cameo-to-talk-about-venoy/

quote:

Quick preface, lest you think I’m condoning some pretty heinous actions: if guilty of the recent allegations put against him, Venoy Overton undoubtedly deserves jail time. He is quickly redefining his reputation (from “pesky defender” to “repeat offender”) and building a track record of poor judgment.

Scarier, even, is that his recent actions suggest the very real possibility that he has a specific appetite for aggressively exercising physical control over young women. Gross.

All that said, there’s a question at the heart of the rather unique charge (for a high profile athlete) Venoy is accused of, that folds into a larger discussion going on in the sports world right now:

Did Venoy need money so badly that he was willing to risk jail time, given his past offense, to share in a fairly small amount of cash?

And, while we’re asking questions: was this the BEST idea Venoy could hatch to earn some money?

Consider Venoy’s pimpin’-ain’t-easy situation in relation to the conversation taking place recently over the idea of redefining amateurism in college sports, particularly football and hoops, the big moneymakers. It’s not a new discussion in the media, but it’s been reinvigorated largely by recent events at Ohio State. One of the litany of violations in Buckeye Nation was for players accepting payment for providing autographs, an NCAA no-no.

It’s absolutely true that by the current rules, which all players agree to uphold when they sign their scholarship papers, signing autographs for money is not allowed. But, is it really right for players to basically be precluded from doing anything to earn money trading off of the status they’ve gained from their on-field or on-court success?

Basically the point of the article is Venoy wouldn't have pimped out his girlfriend if the NCAA paid athletes. :stare:

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Not sure where else to put this but if you used to watch CNN back when Nick Charles and Fred Hickman did their nightly sports show together show (that lasted close to fifteen years didn't it?), Nick Charles has died at the age of 64.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Crazy Ted posted:

Not sure where else to put this but if you used to watch CNN back when Nick Charles and Fred Hickman did their nightly sports show together show (that lasted close to fifteen years didn't it?), Nick Charles has died at the age of 64.

I called into Nick's show two nights in a row in '83. Disguised my adolescent voice on the second night, because, you know, I didn't want to seem like that was all I did was watch call-in interview sports shows on CNN. The look on Nick's face said that he knew. I almost panicked and hung up, but stuck it out.

So long, Nick. You were aces back then.

And that was a drat good highlight show until they brought on that douche Van Earl Wright.

Dr_Strangelove fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jun 27, 2011

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Dr_Strangelove posted:

I called into Nick's show two nights in a row in '83. Disguised my adolescent voice on the second night, because, you know, I didn't want to seem like that was all I did was watch call-in interview sports shows on CNN. The look on Nick's face said that he knew. I almost panicked and hung up, but stuck it out.

And that was a drat good highlight show until they brought on that douche Van Earl Wright.

Were you Hank from Festus or Armando from Miami?

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Moose Bigelow posted:

Were you Hank from Festus or Armando from Miami?

I don't remember if I used my middle name the second night. I probably just said I was from Omaha one night, and the name of the suburb where I lived the other (Papillion).

It's better than cranky old man "John in Plano" who called up The Hardline on The Ticket to complain about being left on hold too long, and then called back the next day as "Joe in Frisco" and didn't even try to change his voice. Then, he threatened to call the Better Business Bureau about them leaving callers on hold too long.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Dr_Strangelove posted:

I don't remember if I used my middle name the second night. I probably just said I was from Omaha one night, and the name of the suburb where I lived the other (Papillion).

It's better than cranky old man "John in Plano" who called up The Hardline on The Ticket to complain about being left on hold too long, and then called back the next day as "Joe in Frisco" and didn't even try to change his voice. Then, he threatened to call the Better Business Bureau about them leaving callers on hold too long.

My bad as I was thinking of the Vince Cellini call in show.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Dr_Strangelove posted:

Cancer really beat the crap out of him unfortunately :(

http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/06/25/nick.charles.obit/index.html?hpt=hp_c1

He took quite a bit of a different route than most other that get into sports media now. He went straight from taxi driver to sportscaster at a local TV station in Chicago.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jun 27, 2011

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Pos on Nick.

Maybe I'm overly attuned to bittersweet things, but I find that article/blog post/whatever way too touching for being written by a guy who didn't really know Nick Charles (which he freely admits). Either way, I thought it was a good read.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
The Steig's back!

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/06/27/david-ortiz-is-not-a-baseball-player/

Link in the HBT article. He contends that David Ortiz isn't a "real" baseball player.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Badfinger posted:

The Steig's back!

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/06/27/david-ortiz-is-not-a-baseball-player/

Link in the HBT article. He contends that David Ortiz isn't a "real" baseball player.

Actually, I think the "not a real baseball player" is probably the least lovely part of his article. When a dude's manager is saying that he is in effect literally incapable of fielding, that's pretty silly. "Oh no, we have so many good players that we can't play them all! :qq:"

e: Here's something even more retarded:

Kevin Youkilis posted:

We built our team around the designated hitter, and when they come to our park, they get to use their position players and pitchers don't have to hit. But vice-versa with us, our pitchers have to hit which never hit. It's one of those things that's not going to change.

Hopefully Bud Selig at some point will review it. For us we're at a disadvantage a lot, and hopefully in Interleague we can use the DH in National League parks and in the World Series, too.

Yes, indeed, the AL needs a greater advantage in interleague play and the World Series. See also Papi whining about how playing your road interleague games all at once is so much worse and more unfair than splitting the series up.

:qq:

Mornacale fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jun 27, 2011

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

An even better idea: just stop doing interleague it sucks and it's stupid and annoying.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

toadee posted:

An even better idea: just stop doing interleague it sucks and it's stupid and annoying.

Alternatively, just standardize your sports' drat rules.

OKCecil
Dec 9, 2003
INTERNET PANHANDLER

toadee posted:

After seeing this weekend's Marlins/Mariners series, I'm starting to think the only way to do it is to have NL rules in AL parks and vice-versa. Seeing Felix get the first base hit of the game in the first AB by a pitcher in Safeco and seeing Doug Fister double and score off of Anibal Sanchez was pretty awesome.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

morestuff posted:

Alternatively, just standardize your sports' drat rules.

Seriously, I guess I just don't "get" baseball because I've always thought the DH/No DH split was really stupid

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

From Dan Shaughnessy's article on how much of an ayehole Frank McCourt is:

quote:

That was only the beginning. The Dodgers discovered Manny was a quitter and cheater (something we also could have warned them about). While the McCourts squabbled over the family "fortune," a Giants fan was almost beaten to death outside Dodger Stadium on Opening Day. McCourt received a $30 million personal loan from Fox in order to make April's payroll. This prompted Selig to announce that MLB intended to take over control of the team.

McCourt might be a horrible owner, but is there any real proof that ANYTHING he did/did not do lead to the Bryan Stow incident? Unless there's footage of him fleeing the scene wielding a steel pipe, seems like a useless thing to include in the article.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

haljordan posted:

From Dan Shaughnessy's article on how much of an ayehole Frank McCourt is:

McCourt might be a horrible owner, but is there any real proof that ANYTHING he did/did not do lead to the Bryan Stow incident? Unless there's footage of him fleeing the scene wielding a steel pipe, seems like a useless thing to include in the article.

Also Manny wasn't a quitter, the whole thing is retarded, Dan Shaughnessy is a loving jackass and it angers me so loving much that every casual fan you work with or meet in a bar around here buys into his curse of the bambino/Manny's a quitter/Nomah didn't dirt dawg it like Jeter bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

haljordan posted:

I think the head of security called McCourt the day of the game and said, "Sir, we need you to come out and help with security for tonight's game," and McCourt said, "I can't, I have a squabbling session scheduled for tonight."