Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Sizzlechest posted:

Did you classify your network as "home," "work," or "public?" (It should be home.)

Home

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Since the last time I updated VLC (to 1.1.10 The Luggage), it no longer will de-interlace DVDs that I play through it. The options aren't grayed out or anything, it just doesn't work. What happened/what can I do/where could I find better information on this (the Video LAN website isn't too helpful).

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I'm using Windows 7 Professional SP1, does anyone know if there's a way to force it to generate thumbnails for a given directory or tree? I have dozens of directories of DSLR images on my NAS and I don't want to have to scroll through them slowly and wait for thumbnails to generate, I'd rather have a way of getting it done in a batch.

the tingler
Jul 15, 2009
Finally tried installing SP1 for the first time today using the x64 link in the OP, as I thought why not. I followed these instructions first, but I still keep getting an Element Not Found error.

http://www.pagestart.com/win7sp1steps021611.html

I also tried repairing Windows using the setup disc. No problems found. I run 64-bit Ultimate. Any suggestions?

TwoKnives
Dec 25, 2004

Horrible, horrible shoes!

Thermopyle posted:

Trillian.

I'm just installing Trillan and they have a checkbox labelled "Add Uninstall information to Add/Remove programs". Seems like an odd thing to include.

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

Sure, I got a secret. More than one...
what are some good resources for password generators, specifically DiceWare? I use keepass which will spit 50 character nonsense passes all day.

In the past I've used online tools like http://rumkin.com/tools/password/diceware.php and his strength checker at http://rumkin.com/tools/password/passchk.php , I was just wondering what other resources were out there.

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c

thrawn86 posted:

what are some good resources for password generators, specifically DiceWare? I use keepass which will spit 50 character nonsense passes all day.

In the past I've used online tools like http://rumkin.com/tools/password/diceware.php and his strength checker at http://rumkin.com/tools/password/passchk.php , I was just wondering what other resources were out there.

I've seen https://www.grc.com/passwords.htm recommended.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Does anyone have a favorite typing program?

I am starting full time study in CS next semester and want to get my typing up to speed. I'm not to bad but I only really use like 4-5 fingers combined which isn't ideal. Also having high accuracy will pay off in the long run regardless.

I think my parents have Mavis Beacon around somewhere. Will that be okay?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Red_Fred posted:

Does anyone have a favorite typing program?

I am starting full time study in CS next semester and want to get my typing up to speed. I'm not to bad but I only really use like 4-5 fingers combined which isn't ideal. Also having high accuracy will pay off in the long run regardless.

I think my parents have Mavis Beacon around somewhere. Will that be okay?

Honestly, my parents tried to get my sisters and I to use Mavis Beacon when I was in elementary/middle school, but it never really stuck. What got my typing skills up was when they finally let us get AIM. I suppose it helped that my friends were as grammatically conscious as I am, so I didn't want to disappoint them with bad typing.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Sorry for the double post, but now I need help.

I just updated some stuff from Windows Update on Secunia's recommendation, and now my desktop is (for the most part) running extremely slowly. To the point where I can hardly do anything. I've run MSE and MalwareBytes with no results. Task Manager doesn't show anything eating CPU cycles or RAM. What should I start looking at next?

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

hooah posted:

Sorry for the double post, but now I need help.

I just updated some stuff from Windows Update on Secunia's recommendation, and now my desktop is (for the most part) running extremely slowly. To the point where I can hardly do anything. I've run MSE and MalwareBytes with no results. Task Manager doesn't show anything eating CPU cycles or RAM. What should I start looking at next?

disk activity in the performance monitor. windows is probably just indexing itself or something.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

thrawn86 posted:

disk activity in the performance monitor. windows is probably just indexing itself or something.

The major problem seemed to be getting Digsby to start. I uninstalled it and reinstalled, and things seem to be back to normal. Lesson learned? Computers are weird, and I need to get around to rebuilding mine.

tokki g
Aug 18, 2004
mod edit: :filez:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
I'd edit that post if I were you.

I'll do you the favor of not quoting it too.

tokki g
Aug 18, 2004
Apologies

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I've got a desktop computer with Windows 7 Pro installed, and I want to install a new hard drive in it (the 500gb unit in it has been popping up a "hard disk failure" message occaisionally on bootup). I ordered the new drive, what's the best way to move everything over? Install Windows 7 again (can I do this?) and transfer settings/file wizard?

Armourking
Dec 16, 2004

Step off!
Step off!

Krakkles posted:

I've got a desktop computer with Windows 7 Pro installed, and I want to install a new hard drive in it (the 500gb unit in it has been popping up a "hard disk failure" message occaisionally on bootup). I ordered the new drive, what's the best way to move everything over? Install Windows 7 again (can I do this?) and transfer settings/file wizard?
Plug both in, boot up a bootcd with a disk clone program, clone old drive to new drive*, remove old drive, profit.
Not sure what the cool kids are using nowadays, but I've still got an old version of Ghost that I use for this.
PING and it's ilk would serve fine.

* Be very, very certain of which is which!

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Armourking posted:

Plug both in, boot up a bootcd with a disk clone program, clone old drive to new drive*, remove old drive, profit.
Not sure what the cool kids are using nowadays, but I've still got an old version of Ghost that I use for this.
PING and it's ilk would serve fine.

* Be very, very certain of which is which!

Thanks, but I don't think this is a viable option - last time I opened up the case I seem to recall it only had one HDD slot.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Krakkles posted:

Thanks, but I don't think this is a viable option - last time I opened up the case I seem to recall it only had one HDD slot.

As long as you have two SATA connectors (and two power connectors, but you can Y-split those), you can just boot the computer with the case open and the extra HDD hanging out.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Krakkles posted:

You could imagex it to an external HDD and then boot to a WinPE disc and then apply the image to the new HDD. However, it is a bit of a faff and personally, I like a fresh install of windows every now and then, so I would:

Windows Easy Transfer to copy your data to an external HDD/USB
Replace HDD, install Win7, WET back your files.

Masked Pumpkin
May 10, 2008
A fresh install works well, but if the only hardware being changed is the drive, then Clonezilla or the Hard Disk cloning tools on your UBCD can copy all of your data over using the method described by Armourking and NihilCredo.

Caveat: If the new drive is the same size and model number as the old drive, do make a careful note as to which SATA port on the motherboard you've used for which drive. It's only by using the model numbers/size/SATA port identification that you'll know which drive is which, and you'll feel pretty silly if you clone the clean drive over the important one.

LoKout
Apr 2, 2003

Professional Fetus Taster
Cloning programs will indicate if the drive has partitions. The new one should not, and the old one should, so that's a good way to figure out which is which.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

LoKout posted:

Cloning programs will indicate if the drive has partitions. The new one should not, and the old one should, so that's a good way to figure out which is which.

Er, new drives usually come pre-formatted so they will have partitions.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
Latest version of ExpanDrive just released:

http://www.expandrive.com/

New sexy as hell interface and finally, pageant support!

Warthog
Mar 8, 2004
Ferkelwämser extraordinaire
Basically I'd like to change folder permissions and user rights on several hard drives to what they would be if that stuff was just created by my user account on Windows 7. :pt:

I've got old folders containing even older folders and old files. Some of them were created on a Windows 95 system, moved to 98, 98SE, XP, 7. Some of them I shared over my network, some I accessed via SMB from a virtual machine,...

Obviously, I never bothered to / wasn't able to un-share those folders every time it would have been appropriate. :bang:

Now I have a filesystem with millions of folders that have permissions for users that don't exist anymore and user rights that are completely hosed up.

Is there a way to just reset everything to some sort of default?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Warthog posted:

Basically I'd like to change folder permissions and user rights on several hard drives to what they would be if that stuff was just created by my user account on Windows 7. :pt:

I've got old folders containing even older folders and old files. Some of them were created on a Windows 95 system, moved to 98, 98SE, XP, 7. Some of them I shared over my network, some I accessed via SMB from a virtual machine,...

Obviously, I never bothered to / wasn't able to un-share those folders every time it would have been appropriate. :bang:

Now I have a filesystem with millions of folders that have permissions for users that don't exist anymore and user rights that are completely hosed up.

Is there a way to just reset everything to some sort of default?

The easiest way, but also longest way, to do this would be to move all those folders out to either a FAT32 or exFAT drive (thus wiping all permissions) and copying it back to your drives with your user account to completely reset permissions. It would also work to move them all to a network-connected drive and move them back from there, permissions would also get wiped that way.

You may have to Take Ownership on these folders first t allow the move but it will work after that.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
Well, depends on how you think about "easiest" I guess. You can reset permissions of a directory and all child items easily enough. Get the security correct on the topmost directory, then Properties -> Security, 'Advanced', 'Change Permissions', Check 'Replace all child object permissions...' and hit okay. Do this once per drive (NOT your OS drive). For example you can delete all the user accounts listed there except your current one (or the Users group) and that'll reset everything.

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

Factor Mystic speaks the truth. You can also do it from the command line.

Type cmd in the search field. Right click and select 'Run as Administrator'.
Type takeown /f drive letter. Hit enter.
Type icacls drive letter /grant yourusername:f. Hit enter.
Rinse and repeat.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Anyone have a recommendation for a DLNA server? I was recommended serviio in the NAS thread, but it relies on Java and I'd prefer not to install Java if I can avoid it for security reasons.

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Burnin' down the disco floor...
Fear the wrath of the mighty FUNKTOR!
Strange software question.

My parents have somehow found their way into managing a labor force. They need an easy way to keep track of the following information for each worker:

For each day of the week, Monday thru Saturday:

-hours worked
-for what company
-earning rate
-money earned

and a total of earnings for each person for that week. Ideally, the setup could be automated each week.

The people working can change day-to-day. Right now they've set up an Excel spreadsheet very badly and need to calculate week totals manually (in fact, so far they've been calculating daily pay manually - they don't know how to automate things in Excel). This is taking them hours and hours, and I suspect that with a little education up front, they could reduce their workload down to a half-hour or less a day.

The problem is that I don't know if Excel is the right tool for the job, and if it is, I don't know how to set it up for them.

Does anybody know whether there is any free Windows software that's appropriate for simple bookkeeping like this? Alternately, does anybody know how to wrangle Excel well enough to help set this up? Any solution needs to be extremely simple - it took me 20 minutes on the phone to explain to my parents how to sum up a single column in Excel. It's possible that I could set some things up for them and teach them a bit, but any education in this area is going to be extremely slow and painstaking. I just hate to see them wasting hours and hours of their time on this when I'm sure that a simpler solution exists.

Any help you guys have would be greatly appreciated.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Excel may not be perfect, but it works for this kind of thing. Here's a quickie on how:

If you start a field with "=", then that field is a formula, and you can specify a row/column to reference. So if you want to, for example, multiply an hourly rate in column B row 2 by hours worked in column C row 2, the field's input should be:

=B2*C2

And that will automatically update when B2 and C2 are updated. Those are also relative references. Say you have that total in D2, then if you copy D2 to D3, it will automatically update to "=B3*C3". If you copy D2 to E2, the formula will update to "=C2*D2". If you need a fixed reference, follow either the letter, the number, or both with a pound sign, such as B$2$. Then you can move the cell around and not lose the reference the B2. This is useful in case you specify hourly rates somewhere specifically on the sheet.

Summing up is balls simple: it's the function =sum([range]), where the range is either a list of cells like (A1, A2, A3, A4) or an explicit range like A1:A4.

=sum(A1:A4) will automatically sum the values in A1, A2, A3, and A4. =sum(A1:D1) will automatically sum the values in A1, B1, C1, and D1. And so on and so forth.

Here, have a tutorial.

Once they've digested this, it's jut a matter of deciding what your inputs are and putting them in. Set them up with a good template that shows everything they need and highlights what they fill in with conditional formatting (e.g. "blank" fields are highlighted in yellow or something). If you're setting it up, you can create a drop-down list of clients, for whom you maintain a list of rates, then use an =if() formula or something more sophisticated to auto-fill the proper rate. And then...

Or hell, I don't know. Honestly, I can't comprehend anything simpler. I don't get how you can manually sum a column, but you can't wrap your head around "=sum(A1:A4)".

Factory Factory fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jun 22, 2011

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Burnin' down the disco floor...
Fear the wrath of the mighty FUNKTOR!
Well, I know all that (except for the drop-down lists). Here's the issue:

They don't have the same workers day-to-day. If they enter in the daily information that they get on the invoices, is there a way to combine that information nicely? In other words, if Jerry works Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday at three different companies, the enter in his daily information, and then when they go to concatenate the info for the whole week, they alphabetize by name, and now Jerry's got three lines. If they want to make it so that he's only got one line, is there some way to do that automatically, or do they have to manually copy & paste the info from those three lines onto one?

This is why I was wondering if some other software would do the job better.

And yeah, it seems simple to me too, but somehow explaining =SUM(A1:A4) to my mother took 20 minutes. She knows it now, but still...

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

What do they do for bookkeeping or billing? Are they doing all that by hand?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
I dunno, how about different sub-sheets by worker, with one copy of the whole XLSX file per week? Handy archiving, could probably work up a "Weekly report" page that you can pull info from for a monthly programmatically using macros.

What about Quickbooks? I just did a LiveChat with one of their dudes, and while I was a really short on info to give them, and he recommended QuickBooks Premier - which does indeed look like it can do a lot of the managing, including the specific uses you outlined. It may be a bit overkill, but it lets you manage rates per-job and per-client, a feature which seems to be lacking from Pro. I wouldn't call it dead simple, but it might help that it's a purpose-driven program rather than forcing a structure on a general piece of software like Excel.

Factory Factory fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jun 22, 2011

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Any way to make Windows default to "Sort by Type" for every single folder ever so I don't have to do it every time I'm trying to find something in a folder that hasn't been sorted before?

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

Mak0rz posted:

Any way to make Windows default to "Sort by Type" for every single folder ever so I don't have to do it every time I'm trying to find something in a folder that hasn't been sorted before?

tools -> folders options -> view -> apply to folders

SmellsOfFriendship
May 2, 2008

Crazy has and always will be a way to discredit or otherwise demean a woman's thoughts and opinions
I'm hoping someone with some Access knowledge can help.

I'm transitioning users from 2003 FS to 2008 FS.

I moved an Access DB over to the 2008 server today. It works ok until the 3-4th user tries to go into it.

User1 - fine
User2 - fine
User3 - fine
User4 - DB opens as Read Only and gets the error "Error updating (name of table) table" "Operation must use an updateable query."

I wish we could trash this thing but it's provided to us by an outside agency. Any thoughts?

So far I've:
checked the permissions
checked for lock files
tried as several users
tried with different versions of Access
left it for 30 minutes or so, same thing

Edit: I think I got it pinned down. It's something about Server 2008 file permissions. Not a clue what though.

SmellsOfFriendship fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jun 23, 2011

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

thrawn86 posted:

tools -> folders options -> view -> apply to folders

The "Apply to Folders" button is greyed out :confused:

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

Mak0rz posted:

The "Apply to Folders" button is greyed out :confused:

welp.

some people swear by some of the explorer "replacements" but I haven't been impressed by the few i've tried.

e: long shot, googled it

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/134325-apply-to-all-folders-button-greyed-out/

you aren't by chance trying to access "folder options" from the start menu and not from explorer, are you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armourking
Dec 16, 2004

Step off!
Step off!

SmellsOfFriendship posted:

I'm hoping someone with some Access knowledge can help.

I'm transitioning users from 2003 FS to 2008 FS.

I moved an Access DB over to the 2008 server today. It works ok until the 3-4th user tries to go into it.

User1 - fine
User2 - fine
User3 - fine
User4 - DB opens as Read Only and gets the error "Error updating (name of table) table" "Operation must use an updateable query."

I wish we could trash this thing but it's provided to us by an outside agency. Any thoughts?
Looked at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/296264 (opportunistic locking)?
I know some of our older poo poo did not like this in Server 2008, to the point I had to spin up a virtual server to put the files on with it all disabled.