Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
ok thanks kid, i think i'll stick with what i've got then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Machida's striking is in no way "pure karate", though. Like, not even close. Karate-influenced, sure.

I would say his striking is more purely karate than almost any other good MMA striker displays pure Muay Thai or pure boxing.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
I'm always wondering how low he keeps his hands but then he's more or less never in the range for someone to land a hand strike. Pretty cool really.

edit: I wonder if there's a single MA nerd here who really doesn't watch UFC these days :)

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.

Nierbo posted:

On another note, I passed grading tonight at Judo. As I'm not a member of the IJF, I don't actually get the belt or have it registered at HQ, but I get it as soon as I pony up the registration money. Thanks to everyone that has helped me on here and answered my silly questions over the past 7 months, specifically xguard, thoguh and colliwog. And even Syphilis Fish sometimes too. And tarepanda :D I really had some muscle memory on some of the throws and didn't have to think at all in terms of steps and I put them together fluidly. Its only yellow but its nice to have taken the first step.

Hey congrats. Did you have any stand out throws which you felt you did better at? My o-goshi (hip throw) I felt was my best (thanks low hips :)) and my kouchi gari (minor inner reap) was my worse (timing was a bit off).

I also agree with the practicioner>training method>style. This is basically why I started training in ninpo (at the time I didn't even know about all the BS surrounding it). My instructor in addition to ninpo is a shodan in judo (competed back in the 80s) and an FMA instructor.

He's a big proponent of cross training and even referred me to my current Judo dojo. Pretty much all of us crosstrain - boxing, BJJ, kickboxing, FMA, krav maga, shaolin, akido, kyokushin, judo...
So yeah, I definitely don't think we fit the stereotypical ninja school (a running joke for us - mystic bullshit :frogout:) but have fun learning, socializing, and getting a good workout. I don't think I've wasted this last year doing it.

foolish_fool
Jul 22, 2010

Nierbo posted:

That sounds sweet as. Can you detail your success or failure there? What sort of Kung Fu by the way?
I was competing in ~ blue belt level, and for the most part the Karate guys seemed pretty similar to what I would have expected from TKD blue belts (but weighted more towards punches than kicks in sparring, perhaps slightly "stiffer" while doing form). The point sparring was very strictly non-contact (even moreo than you would expect in TKD - I got a contact warning for something very soft), but the clash of styles made that somewhat understandable (and I think they were more lenient on this at Black Belt level). I personally had a terrible day since I was distracted by some life drama (I was knocked out of sparring early and did decently but didn't win form). The type of Kung Fu I was doing was described as Shaolin Long-Fist.

I've read the whole thread and never watched UFC, if that counts.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Grr8 posted:

BJJHQ has a sweet one day deal on Manto Gi's right now. If you guys don't know about the site, they have some pretty good stuff.

That actually makes me wonder, where does everybody get their gear? Personally I buy from Kodokan Gear or Budovideos for the most part, and just pick up stuff like tape and compression shorts from the local sporting good store.

Any awesome sites I'm missing out on?

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jun 21, 2011

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Bangkero posted:

Hey congrats. Did you have any stand out throws which you felt you did better at? My o-goshi (hip throw) I felt was my best (thanks low hips :)) and my kouchi gari (minor inner reap) was my worse (timing was a bit off).

Yeah my Seoi Nage is fuckin dynamite because thats basically all I did for the first two months and sensei said my O Goshi and Uki Goshi were spot on even though I thought I was crap at those, and yeah my Kouchi Gari is pretty poo poo. I can drop guys with it, but I really have to think about it which means its sorta useless in randori where the body has to take over.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Nierbo posted:

On another note, I passed grading tonight at Judo. As I'm not a member of the IJF, I don't actually get the belt or have it registered at HQ, but I get it as soon as I pony up the registration money. Thanks to everyone that has helped me on here and answered my silly questions over the past 7 months, specifically xguard, thoguh and colliwog. And even Syphilis Fish sometimes too. And tarepanda :D I really had some muscle memory on some of the throws and didn't have to think at all in terms of steps and I put them together fluidly. Its only yellow but its nice to have taken the first step.

Congrats dude, told you you'd make it. Getting to yellow is the hardest step since people usually step out before yellow because of how hard and painful judo can be, congrats for hanging in there. You'll see, things are just starting to get fun right now and simply get better all the time. I'm only green belt now and every single class has been more fun than the last since I begun training. I'm happy I could help.

It's pretty normal for your basic front throws to be the best. My ippon/o goshi were by far my best on my yellow belt exam. Unfortunately, Ippon seio is probably my worst throw now (don't know what happened haha).

Definitely work on your Ouchi/Ko ouchi gari, these are invaluable in randori in combinations since they can just link to and from most throws. It was one of my weak moves and I thought it was almost useless and boring at first and now I just catch people left and right with a simple straight up ko uchi all the time. I really think it's one of the moves people should focus now matter what. It's one of the throws that just piss people off when I go do BJJ, people feel insulted that they keep falling from such a simple throw, hell I could even force a purple belt who's much bigger than me to pull guard "at will" with it I felt so badass. It's particularly strong in conjonction with Ippon seio and uchi mata and I would suggest that you work on ko uchi to ippon or ippon to ko uchi in randori so you can feel the power of the ko uchi and get motivation to learn how to do it well.

congrats once again

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

KingColliwog posted:

werds

Thankyou. Yes, you did tell me hah.
Thanks for the tip, I will (and do) work very hard on my k/ouchi gari, for the exact reason you said, combos. I've got a book Attacking Judo: A guide to combinations and counters and many combinations are based off of those moves. I'm finding it hard to mount a real offense in randori, but I have to remember they're mostly blue belts where I train, so they're not exactly going to give anything to me easily. Thanks again for your help.

KingColliwog posted:

work on ko uchi to ippon or ippon to ko uchi in randori
Thats my main goal during randori. Havent been taught uchi mata yet but its one of the most commonnly attempted throws I see during judo matches at the higher levels and I can see how insanely useful it will be once I get to it too.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

Nierbo posted:

Now this is more like it.
Those were great links kimbo. I absolutely love that sort of breakdown. From the gif's on the bloodyelbow page, it seems like I've learnt a completely different crescent kick.

Just chiming in to say that that's not what I learned a crescent kick as either. Our inside crescent kick is basically this. I never used that training method, but we do have the actual kick/hand-slap in one of our katas.

Makes sense, seeing as in the video it's chinese kung fu and Kenpo is a largely chinese system.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Buried alive posted:

Just chiming in to say that that's not what I learned a crescent kick as either. Our inside crescent kick is basically this. I never used that training method, but we do have the actual kick/hand-slap in one of our katas.

Makes sense, seeing as in the video it's chinese kung fu and Kenpo is a largely chinese system.

Cue the judo guys going :laugh: at English terminology not being more helpful.
The inside crescent kick looks like an outside/reverse lotus sweep:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tcdRg9_1mc

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I'm with kimbo the inside crescent kick come from the inside and goes out. What Buried showed is an outside crescent kick.

:smith: So many years wasted in TKD and Kung Fu because my parents never knew where to find a boxing gym.

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

Ligur posted:

edit: I wonder if there's a single MA nerd here who really doesn't watch UFC these days :)

*raises hand* I am way more interested in getting the stuffing beaten out of me than watching tv, don't think I've ever even seen a full UFC fight, just a few highlight clipshows maybe.

Just came off a month long not-allowed-to-exercise spree, and got kind of fed up with the Judo school I slummed at for a month or two because of a severe lack of actual adults--tossing 15 year olds around all the time just makes me feel like a dick and that the only thing I'm doing is training my breakfalls. So, gonna go and check out the local MMA school tonight, and the BJJ gym with a buddy of mine tomorrow. Probably switch to one of them, or go do some Muay Thai or something.

There need to be more days in the week, it is bloody impossible to cram in my fencing, striking AND grappling and still make any sort of progress in either of them :/

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

KidDynamite posted:

:smith: So many years wasted in TKD and Kung Fu because my parents never knew where to find a boxing gym.

me too, except for different reasons. My dad wanted me to stay out of boxing because he didn't want me taking blows to the head, and I couldn't wrestle because my uncle wrestled and he knew how bad the weight cutting could be. Bjj was still an underground garage thing but I wish I had been in Judo or Kykokushin karate. Then again at least I went to a decent TKD school that fudged a lot of the contact rules and ended up being more like a Japanese jujitsu/hapkido dojo than anything else. I could have been a ninja.

It really wasn't our parent's fault though, hollywood and McDojos did a pretty good job with bullshitting everyone on what martial arts should be. I remember an old "what-if" thread in bullshido had this quote: "What if Kykokushin karate replaced TKD". We could have still worn fancy pajamas and bowed to sensei, but at least everyone would be immune to liver shots and know how to throw a straight punch.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

KidDynamite posted:

I'm with kimbo the inside crescent kick come from the inside and goes out. What Buried showed is an outside crescent kick.

Terminology is reversed for me, but I guess that's already evident.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
Last judo class for the summer tonight... noooooo :(. I really hate that my club closes for the summer. I might join another club for the summer, but it's much more expensive so I'm not sure I want to. I'll either do that or focus on my strenght/cardio all summer. My challenge for tonight is to get at least 3 triangle chokes and one uchi mata during randori!

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jun 21, 2011

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Xguard86 posted:

me too, except for different reasons. My dad wanted me to stay out of boxing because he didn't want me taking blows to the head, and I couldn't wrestle because my uncle wrestled and he knew how bad the weight cutting could be. Bjj was still an underground garage thing but I wish I had been in Judo or Kykokushin karate. Then again at least I went to a decent TKD school that fudged a lot of the contact rules and ended up being more like a Japanese jujitsu/hapkido dojo than anything else. I could have been a ninja.

It really wasn't our parent's fault though, hollywood and McDojos did a pretty good job with bullshitting everyone on what martial arts should be. I remember an old "what-if" thread in bullshido had this quote: "What if Kykokushin karate replaced TKD". We could have still worn fancy pajamas and bowed to sensei, but at least everyone would be immune to liver shots and know how to throw a straight punch.

The one thing that really sticks in my head and pisses me off to this day is a story from my TKD class. I was always respectful and wanted to learn in TKD I thought it was cool at the time. I would always punch the bag though. I would throw kicks at it too but I spent most of my time punching it. It was at a really good TKD school since the sensei was the coach for the olympic team or some poo poo. One day the sensei's fat son comes out and said "Hey Mike Tyson this is Tae Kwon Do we don't throw punches." It really pissed me off since even at that young age I wanted to know like every part of fighting. I knew there was a range and distance for kicking and then punching and then grappling and it just gave me a bad taste that he was so narrow minded.

Edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dong_Keun_Park I guess he was pretty famous. He never really taught though.

KidDynamite fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jun 21, 2011

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.

KingColliwog posted:

Definitely work on your Ouchi/Ko ouchi gari, these are invaluable in randori in combinations since they can just link to and from most throws. It was one of my weak moves and I thought it was almost useless and boring at first and now I just catch people left and right with a simple straight up ko uchi all the time. I really think it's one of the moves people should focus now matter what. It's one of the throws that just piss people off when I go do BJJ, people feel insulted that they keep falling from such a simple throw, hell I could even force a purple belt who's much bigger than me to pull guard "at will" with it I felt so badass. It's particularly strong in conjonction with Ippon seio and uchi mata and I would suggest that you work on ko uchi to ippon or ippon to ko uchi in randori so you can feel the power of the ko uchi and get motivation to learn how to do it well.

Although it was addressed to Nierbo, this is definitely applicable to me as well. Thanks for the great advice. Makes me want to drill on it harder. :)

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
Train MMA for the first time in months due to a broken knuckle.

End training by punching straight into partner's elbow :v:

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007

Illegal Username posted:

Train MMA for the first time in months due to a broken knuckle.

End training by punching straight into partner's elbow :v:

Ouch. Only strike soft targets with hard surfaces. Otherwise you violate my personal (personally stolen) first rule of a fight; all of my weapons, none of his.

I love passing off common sense as if it's advice. Sucks about your knuckles! I've only ever broken toes in sparring and that sucked horribly; can't imagine knuckles.

e: VVV my toe breakage was something similar. I was doing Shorin Ryu Karate at the time and tried to do a front kick to someone's thigh. He lifted his leg so his shin was where my target was; and I was retarded and didn't get my toes pulled back far enough. Got my last two toes going full force right into the shin. This split them apart at an angle that bones aren't meant to go. What was worse is my instructor at the time thought I probably just dislocated my toes and I should stop being a pussy and just let him yank them back into place. The doctor later told me I had a small hairline fracture that was made much bigger and worse by this.

gently caress him.

Winkle-Daddy fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jun 21, 2011

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.
My worst injury was in Kyokushin, when I tried to roundhouse kick a Muay Thai-trained dude in the thigh in sparring. He lifted his leg--the way they do--and I managed to kick him right in the knee with the front of my ankle. I was limping for almost a month.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

Winkle-Daddy posted:

I love passing off common sense as if it's advice. Sucks about your knuckles! I've only ever broken toes in sparring and that sucked horribly; can't imagine knuckles.
It's only the middle knuckle on my left. It didn't really bother my everyday life (Aside for not being able to train strikes) and luckily it didn't break again today.

The way it broke originally was really retarded. I planned to punch this one guy enough to make him put his guard up so i could go for the double leg.
So i hit him with a one-two, he shells up and i throw the most ridiculous uppercut anyone's ever seen up into his elbow.
I did get the takedown but turns out it's loving hard to wrestle when your hand is busted :argh:

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007

Illegal Username posted:

So i hit him with a one-two, he shells up and i throw the most ridiculous uppercut anyone's ever seen up into his elbow.
I did get the takedown but turns out it's loving hard to wrestle when your hand is busted :argh:

HAHAHAHAHA, you're my loving hero!

aendarasi
Oct 2, 2007
no relation

Buried alive posted:

Terminology is reversed for me, but I guess that's already evident.

In wushu / chinese martial arts terms, buried is correct. And the naming actually makes sense: the kick's force goes towards the inside, and it lands with / is slapped on the inside of the striking foot. The Chinese characters for the inside crescent kick are 里合腿 and it basically literally means "inside kick" not anything amusing like "glorious plum blossom leg".

p.s. I could write up a wushu section for the thread, I'm pretty new at it at only one year of training, but I have a decent handle on the basics. Is there any interest?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

aendarasi posted:

p.s. I could write up a wushu section for the thread, I'm pretty new at it at only one year of training, but I have a decent handle on the basics. Is there any interest?

Yes, specifically what it is and how it relates to the classic Chinese martial arts. I feel like most people in this board have a fairly murky understanding of CMA, at least partly because the lineages themselves don't tend to be precise with their own history.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

aendarasi posted:

Please do. I have no clue about CMA's except many of them involve silk pajamas

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007
Speaking of silk pajamas, I want to start a martial art where this is the uniform:

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm3700264704/tt1559710

There's something inherently badass about the clergy kicking rear end.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Winkle-Daddy posted:

Speaking of silk pajamas, I want to start a martial art where this is the uniform:

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm3700264704/tt1559710

There's something inherently badass about the clergy kicking rear end.

That looks like a lot of pictures I've seen of various kung-fu uniforms.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

aendarasi posted:

I will edit it into the styles section.

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe
My gym is putting on a freestyle Judo competition in July if anyone is interested.

http://www.ecityfreestylejudo.com/

It'll be held in Scranton, Pa, which is in the northeastern part of the state.

The rules are pretty interesting in my opinion. It's a lot stricter and tougher to get an ippon, grabbing the legs for attacks are allowed, and there's more time for mat work.

I want to compete, but I have a herniated disc in my back, and haven't been on the mats for the last two months or so.

aendarasi
Oct 2, 2007
no relation

Disclaimer: I'm a beginner with less than a year of training under my belt so I may miss things or get them wrong.

Sport wushu
In short, it's Chinese martial arts ("kung fu") turned into a modern competitive sport. It's a very broad field, and involves a lot of different things lumped under one name.

Overview
Wushu is comprised of several events that can be put into two big categories.

Sanshou (or "sanda") is sparring, similar to kickboxing but with good amounts of throwing, and with limited contact around the head area in competition. Sanshou in my opinion is a pretty good all-round combative discipline, but it can be hard to find a place to learn outside China.

Taolu is the second category and the one that has the greater number of athletes. This involves doing forms in front of a panel of judges who will give you a score based on your performance - the score reflects the difficulty of the routine, how well it was executed technically, as well as the athlete's flair, composure and general artistic merit.

There are three quite different unarmed styles that form the basis of wushu. Northern style (Changquan) is fast, acrobatic, with a lot of jumps and such. Southern style (Nanquan) is powerful, controlled, with lots of yelling.. and their silks have no sleeves. Finally Taijiquan is a mixture of super slow and unbelievably fast with a lot of subtlety - even 90-year-olds look amazing doing it. In addition, there is a great variety of traditional styles.

Weapons are a big part of wushu, although you will start learning the unarmed styles first. The main four are the staff, spear, broadsword, and straight sword; the broadsword and staff are also used in a distinct "southern" style. There are a lot of traditional weapons as well for those inclined to learn fancy things like three-section staff.. but you'll typically learn at least one of the main weapons first.

Learning
Wushu is not exactly a common sport outside China, so you may have trouble finding a place. Make sure to research the instructors, find out where they trained, how well they did in competition etc. Definitely watch or take a trial session to find out if this is your kind of thing. My school doesn't require uniforms or have a sash system, and there's a minimum of saluting. I'd be skeptical of overly formal places, but you absolutely want an atmosphere of dedication and hard work.

A training session should be pretty long - at least 90 minutes. Expect a good warmup with a lot of stretching and flexibility work (this takes up something like 30-45 minutes in my school), and then you'd start working on technical stuff. Note that wushu is physically demanding, so don't think you'll be able to do those 540 jumping kicks while you're still carrying a beer gut. That said, it's a great motivator. I myself was a fat gently caress (255 lbs) when I started out. I'm not a fat gently caress any more. Your school might or might not do a lot of physical conditioning; some will just focus on the technical aspects. You'll want to get physically fit regardless.

In the long term the gameplan will probably look like this: you'll have to learn a good number of basic stances and moves - and you'll work on those for a long time, tying them together into short combos. And then there's the advanced moves like the fancy jump kicks and twists. And then there's learning a complete form. And then there's improving your movement and choreography. There are a lot of fine points, and getting things clean and powerful and looking good will take months and years. Patience and mental fortitude are good qualities to have - or learn.

Why do wushu?
Because its awesome. You learn to move in new and badass ways with power and speed while remaining under complete control. You learn how to push your body and your mind. You become coordinated enough and strong enough for pretty much any other physical activity you care to take on next. You learn that you can do even the most impossible-looking things if you work hard enough. I never thought I'd be doing a butterfly kick in my life - now I worry about how high I can get it to go, and if I'm strong enough for the butterfly twist yet.

Videos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9z3acLxYirE - Changquan, China games gold medal 2009

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5kzQwP_jYY - girl doing Nanquan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ub2aEh1GQnI - fun Hipsters vs Zombies demonstration "fight"

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

aendarasi posted:

Sanshou (or "sanda") is sparring, similar to kickboxing but with good amounts of throwing, and with limited contact around the head area in competition. Sanshou in my opinion is a pretty good all-round combative discipline, but it can be hard to find a place to learn outside China.

I'll chip in a bit here. In the US, the 3 main places where you could find sanshou instruction are SF, NYC, and Boston. I train in one of the Boston gyms. There's a tiny bit of competition between NYC and Boston, but most of the time, the students here just fight under MT rules, or MMA for the guys who crosstrain more.

In the US, amateur Sanshou rules disallow knees and elbows to the head, while pro rules allow both. Outside of that, it's any kind of strike or throw from the feet. There are some scoring systems where strikes and throws are all assigned points, and others that just have judges subjectively decide winners per round. Recently, some places have allowed takedowns where the attacker to momentarily touch the ground with more than their feet. I think that would be a great change, as it would allow a variety of wrestling techniques where you might plant a knee during the move, and thus bring more wrestlers into the sport.

Because these three areas all practice the art in an alive way, it frequently doesn't look much different than kickboxing or MT. The coaches emphasize specific Sanshou techniques where appropriate, though. One example: against a MT guy who tends to have a high guard and squared stance, if he tends to plod in on his attacks, you can counter with a sidekick between their knees and elbows if they bring up their shield. In fact, I would say outside of the throws (many of which are illegal in MT), the thing we work on the most is throwing a non-telegraphed and strong sidekick. The first part is hard. I don't think my coach has ever not said "you're telegraphing your sidekick" to me during sparring.

In competition footage online, you'll see some people wearing a chest shield that wraps around the ribs. I think the idea is to encourage taking a kick to the body in exchange for a throw. We're taught how to do catches without taking hits to the body, but also taught that if you do get hit, you should still catch and throw. In general, the throws come from folk wrestling arts, broadly referred to as Shuaijiao. The flavor of the throws is sort of like how judoka fight in MMA, since the constraints are the same.

aendarasi posted:

Taolu is the second category and the one that has the greater number of athletes. This involves doing forms in front of a panel of judges who will give you a score based on your performance - the score reflects the difficulty of the routine, how well it was executed technically, as well as the athlete's flair, composure and general artistic merit.
In addition, there is a great variety of traditional styles.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but lots of the traditional CMA have an equivalent official wushu routine/kata approved for taolu competition, right? Like, you could train Xingyi at a school that just teaches Xingyi (ostensibly for fighting) or you could train wushu and pick up Xingyi as one of your competition routines.

Office Sheep
Jan 20, 2007
So after 4 months of judo and 3 BJJ classes I'm considering entering BJJ Tournament. The instructor at BJJ says I should be fine at the beginner skill level. In anyone's experience is this a good or bad idea?

Any tips? It's too bad pins don't score cause I can pass guard fine and sweep fine. Whenever I go for submissions things go bad.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Office Sheep posted:

So after 4 months of judo and 3 BJJ classes I'm considering entering BJJ Tournament. The instructor at BJJ says I should be fine at the beginner skill level. In anyone's experience is this a good or bad idea?

Any tips? It's too bad pins don't score cause I can pass guard fine and sweep fine. Whenever I go for submissions things go bad.

if you can afford the entrance fee and wont be crushed if you lose then its always a good idea. you will have fun and learn a lot about actual competition grappling which is a lot different from rolling. good luck goon

aendarasi
Oct 2, 2007
no relation

kimbo305 posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but lots of the traditional CMA have an equivalent official wushu routine/kata approved for taolu competition, right? Like, you could train Xingyi at a school that just teaches Xingyi (ostensibly for fighting) or you could train wushu and pick up Xingyi as one of your competition routines.

I think that's the case, yes... although if you wanted to do well it'd be good to work with a coach with competition experience since I'm sure there are concerns like "make sure you're facing THAT way so you show off your stance better" etc.

Also, one of the recent changes in wushu is that there aren't really any official compulsory forms any more. This is an effort to make the sport more spectator-friendly.. because who wants to watch 20 people do the exact same form, really. People, especially beginners, still perform the old compulsory forms a lot, they're tried and tested and easier to judge after all. I'm not sure what the deal is with the more traditional CMAs in competition, the judges may well expect to see a very specific routine or three.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Office Sheep posted:

Be aggressive, and end up on top. You might want to fight off your back (as that's no doubt where you're most comfortable), but if you're on top, your winning the match.

Don't pull guard, except as a last resort. You want to get that initial takedown, and then from there work your top game to either a points win or a submission.

Keep it simple, if you're going no-gi, double underhooks and fold them over their heels for the takedown. If in gi, use some of that sweet judo stuff, just remember to not give your back to get the takedown. You may get your 2 pts for the throw, but if you get choked out :(

Lastly, it's a beginner's tournament, just go in there, roll a bit, learn what you like to do, what you need to improve on, and go from there. I'm sure you'll have a blast.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

Office Sheep posted:

If competition is something that you're interested in it's best to start early. Nerves are something everyone has to learn to deal with and it's better to start learning against other guys who are going through the same thing than against seasoned competitors.

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006

Office Sheep posted:

Compete.

Don't worry, it's your first competition.

Have fun & go there with your team.

Have an awesome day of grappling (and waiting for forever).

Train twice as hard on monday.

:)

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Also, remember that competition makes people dumb and white belts make people dumber. Don't put yourself in a position to get slammed or dislocate your shoulder posting an arm because you refuse to accept that you're getting taken down.

Have fun and don't take it too seriously, unless you win gold: then it is basically the most important thing ever to happen on earth and several thousand miles of space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Office Sheep
Jan 20, 2007
Thanks for all the advice. I have a judo competition under my belt so I know how fun these can be.

Is there any way to prevent guard from being pulled on me or should I just expect that to be the order of the day?

• Locked thread