Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the aftermath
Jul 20, 2002

Things Fall Apart
I've got some money on a Guillard/Bader parlay.

Considering putting money on Pat Barry and definitely going in on Anthony Njokuani when a line pops up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

kongo is probably gonna clinch the poo poo outta barry.

I just bet a bill on hendo at +190.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

ForbiddenWonder posted:

kongo is probably gonna clinch the poo poo outta barry.

Everytime Kongo fights someone that is remotely a striker, he tries to wrestle.

Pat Barry got wrestled and submitted by CroCop.

I'm not saying Kongo will sub Barry but I do believe he will wrestle the poo poo out of him and I feel pretty comfortable in that prediction.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
My prediction is that people will somehow be surprised yet again when Kongo goes for takedowns yet again. He does it like every time! Wulveslayer!

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Hugging and knee shots to the groin against strikers seems to be Kongo's forte.

the aftermath
Jul 20, 2002

Things Fall Apart
Tonight's pick: Pat Curran -350

the aftermath
Jul 20, 2002

Things Fall Apart
Tonight's picks:

Guillard/Bader parlay
Njokuani

Might put some cash on Cruz.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
leben/bader/wiman. do this if youre the cool guy

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
can we get some post event life lesson learning posts please

the aftermath
Jul 20, 2002

Things Fall Apart
Got a couple last minute bets in on Cruz and Over 4.5 rounds. Was a good night outside of that WTF moment with Bader getting subbed by Ortiz.

Lessons learned: Ortiz is like a gorilla on crack when he's fighting for his professional life. Don't bet against a gorilla. And Bader kind of sucks.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

human being Martyr posted:

i bet 50 on wiman with my friend and then went double or nothing on leben so i went even. suffice to say i learned nothing. good day *walks down stairs behind couch*

Cart Mountain
Nov 1, 2004

gently caress stefen and drexel

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh
team punishment sounds like a tight knit group

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
who?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

human being Martyr posted:

I made 7 bucks betting on Leben. Bet on MMA.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
This thread has been dead lately but today I saw what looks like a great line:

Cowboy Cerrone at even or +105. To me, Cowboy seems like a favorite in this fight. Good stand up and strong takedown defense against a BJJ wizard with energetic but not very good striking seems like a win for the Cowboy.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

MassRayPer posted:

Cowboy Cerrone

quote:

strong takedown defense

what

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

fatherdog posted:

what

His wrestling used to suck, but then he had his rematch with Varner (I know...) and he completely dominated the wrestling aspect, something he had been destroyed in their first match. Varner sucks overall, but he has good wrestling credentials. Kelly's wrestling isn't bad for a Brit and he was briefly taken down once in that fight after stuffing several, and completely neutralized Rocha's takedowns. I'd have to imagine Oliveira's takedowns won't be much better than those recent opponents.

In the very least it is a dramatically improved wrestling game.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
dude, didn't you hear? wrestling doesn't work on oliveira.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Thermos H Christ posted:

dude, didn't you hear? wrestling doesn't work on oliveira.

I hope so. I love leg kicks.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

MassRayPer posted:

I'd have to imagine Oliveira's takedowns won't be much better than those recent opponents.

Oliveira took down Nik Lentz and Efrain Escuedero, both of whom were successful college wrestlers, and you think his takedowns "won't be much better" than an undersized Brazilian and an Englishman?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

fatherdog posted:

Oliveira took down Nik Lentz and Efrain Escuedero, both of whom were successful college wrestlers, and you think his takedowns "won't be much better" than an undersized Brazilian and an Englishman?

Oliveira is technically an undersized Brazilian. Efrain looked completely lost and terrible in that fight after blowing his weight cut, and I didn't see the Lentz fight. This is why I am posting this, I am not sure if I am overvaluing Cerrone here.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Jim Miller seems undervalued as always. Think he's at -155 on bodog. Bendo's good, but I like that line.

e: Woops, he's at -175, but I'd still probably take him at anything under -200.

CRISPYBABY fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Aug 14, 2011

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

MassRayPer posted:

Oliveira is technically an undersized Brazilian. Efrain looked completely lost and terrible in that fight after blowing his weight cut, and I didn't see the Lentz fight. This is why I am posting this, I am not sure if I am overvaluing Cerrone here.

Lentz got his first takedown, then Oliveira got back to his feet and defended three or four more attempts and then took him down near the end of the round. Then in the second he was defending them again when he hit the illegal knee.

It's certainly possible that Cerrone's takedown defense will be too good for him, but I really don't think that his last few matches are any kind of solid evidence for it.

world b lee
Feb 1, 2006
Is it a frog? Is it a toad?
Time to make a play with my Hendo fortune. Got a little riding on Olieviera to finish, as both guys strike fearlessly but I trust Olieviera to get it to the ground at some point and end it. Also got Lytle to take a decision.

Debating putting something down on Bendo but the current line isn't really worth it. The match ups way too close for me to be confident betting on either guy.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
http://onefcmma.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=82&Itemid=74

Behold, a promoter with a poll asking how their postered fighter will win his fight. We do not fix fights here in Quebec, no sir monsieur!

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Aug 14, 2011

Lloyd Van Buren
Feb 19, 2010

FESTIVE PEOPLE!

Shumagorath posted:

http://onefcmma.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=82&Itemid=74

Behold, a promoter with a poll asking how their postered fighter will win his fight. We do not fix fights here in Quebec, no sir!

What the hell? Surely the two pictured aint fighting eachother???

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
No, they've just completely omitted their opponents.

Lloyd Van Buren
Feb 19, 2010

FESTIVE PEOPLE!
Thank god for that.

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
i'm putting some one oliveira...he should be a bigger favorite imo. cerrone's got good muay thai, but lacks the kind of power that would make oliveria reconsider just overwhelming him like he does with most of his opponents.

does anyone know jim hettes? bruce leroy is one of the worst ufc fighters in modern times and he's facing an undefeated grappler. the problem is that being undefeated doesn't mean much.

i'm definitely not touching the main and co-main event.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Paul Pot posted:

i'm putting some one oliveira...he should be a bigger favorite imo. cerrone's got good muay thai, but lacks the kind of power that would make oliveria reconsider just overwhelming him like he does with most of his opponents.

does anyone know jim hettes? bruce leroy is one of the worst ufc fighters in modern times and he's facing an undefeated grappler. the problem is that being undefeated doesn't mean much.

i'm definitely not touching the main and co-main event.

I'm avoiding the co-main as well, and Cerrone/Aloe Vera, except for a $1 hail mary parley that covers nearly the entire card. I like Jim Miller and Cowboy winning, but not enough to bet any more than that on them.

Jim Hettes is apparently a very good prospect. All eight of his wins have come by submission, and all of Caceres's losses are by submission and he sucks. Bet on Hettes.

Queering Wheel fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Aug 14, 2011

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

MrSmokes posted:

I'm avoiding the co-main as well, and Cerrone/Aloe Vera, except for a $1 hail mary parley that covers nearly the entire card. I like Jim Miller and Cowboy winning, but not enough to bet any more than that on them.

Jim Hettes is apparently a very good prospect. All eight of his wins have come by submission, and all of Caceres's losses are by submission and he sucks. Bet on Hettes.

This.

Caraceres is very inexperienced and doesn't have any kind of real grounded base, he's going to lose.

BrianPhillips
May 10, 2006

MrSmokes posted:

I'm way more excited about other fights but this is my go to for the hilarity fight.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Hettes submitted Binky Jones which is actually pretty impressive, but other than that I don't really know anything about the dude.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me
UFC Gambling Analysis: Breaking Down 2011 Underdog Performance

Not intensely interesting but it's worth a look, especially for you statistics nerds.

the aftermath
Jul 20, 2002

Things Fall Apart
No pick really stands out and I've got money pending on the Rio card so this is my silly parlay.

$18.67 to win $106.67

Donald Cerrone +115
Amir Sadollah -350
Karlos Vemola -240
Jimy Hettes -350
Edwin Figueroa -300

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Bet on MMA

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

MrSmokes posted:

Bet your lunch money on MMA

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I too won lunch money bets, for me on Lytle and Cerrone. I then put even smaller lunch money bets on Okami and Forrest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

MassRayPer posted:

I too won lunch money bets, for me on Lytle and Cerrone. I then put even smaller lunch money bets on Okami and Forrest.

I managed to hedge bets on okami Silva through a couple of private wagers. Really like his chances after spending so much time with chael. Then again he's traditionally a slow starter which might not bode well against Silva