Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doug
Feb 27, 2006

This station is
non-operational.

Dudebro posted:

My question was more about whether or not there were any cool alternatives to home washroom soap dispensing that I don't know about, but that is some sound logic you laid out.

You might try looking into one of these: http://www.lysol.com/cleaning-products/healthy-hands/no-touch-hand-soap-system

I've got one at home and for one, you eliminate having the touch the pump. It's like having fancy public restroom soap at home! Additionally, the soap bottle sits upside down, so you eliminate the soap waste as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

JonBent0000 posted:

Electric Sleep

It's an app on Android that senses you moving throughout the night. You set the alarm for the ideal time to wake up and it sounds when you are asleep but moving, which is when you're in the lighter stages of sleep.
You'l need to put the phone in your bed with you, and you'll probably need to plug it in too, but it's really nice to wake up not feeing groggy.

This sounds awesome and it makes me wish I had an android phone.

Out of curiosity, how close does it generally get to the time you set? I am not a morning person, so I tend to set my alarm to the absolute last possible second I can... I don't leave myself a lot of wiggle room.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

sirbeefalot posted:

What are you actually trying to bond together?

A metal cabinet handle to a piece of laminate. I know that I can just screw it in, but my cat's eating off of the surface where the screw head might be stick out (I'm making a stool for my brachycephalic cat's food and water bowls).

Crowley posted:

Glue This To That
Excellent advice on, well.. glue.
Thanks for the link!

melon cat has a new favorite as of 23:13 on Jun 22, 2011

Stickyboi
Dec 25, 2005

permanent adhesive
Hydrocolloid dressings are the best things ever if you're prone to getting cuts and scrapes on your skin (or you might get prescribed them if you got serious burns/scrapes from an accident). It's like an artificial skin that covers the wound isolating water, oxygen or bacteria, but absorbs the gooey moisture that comes out of the wound. You only have to change it every few days until the surface dries out and heals (where it absorbs moisture on the inside, the dressing turns white-ish and opaque and slightly puffs up, after awhile it will want to come off) and it does not scab. Feels way nicer than regular band-aids and even when it's on your joints you can move around freely.

Wikipedia says they're good for acne wounds too, come to think of it I've actually used it that way before.

I need to find out which brand I've got (lost the packaging) but this one seems to be recommended:
http://www.amazon.com/DuoDERM-Extra-Thin-CGF-Dressing/dp/B0002DMANU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I'm looking at starting up a small CD/DVD-publishing operation. Does anyone have any suggestions for good, professional-quality printable CD/DVD-Rs?

Also I'm looking at using the Primera Bravo SE because I got to know a couple people at their booth at NAB, but I'm also open to any suggestions for good entry-level disc publishers, if anyone knows of any that are better (or a better value).

The initial print volume I'm looking at is probably 1000 DVDs and 500-1000 CDs. I'm uncertain on the CDs but it could go pretty high, depending, since I'm involved in the local music scene and the initial runs will mostly be for my network.

EDIT: Oh snap, also recommendations for CD cases and insert printing please tia (either printing services or printers so I can do it myself, either way)

Son of Thunderbeast has a new favorite as of 19:10 on Jun 22, 2011

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

vanessa posted:

What about a small coffee drip cone? The one I linked is just an example, but it sits on top of your coffee cup and makes just one cup at a time without the need to worry about a machine.

I have a filter that sits inside the cup ( like this ). Put a spoon of ground coffee in it, drop it in the cup, fill with hot water, and rinse the filter out afterwards.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy
I desperately needed to update my 90's-era entertainment center, and in doing my research for a new one online, the brand Z-Line Designs kept coming up with positive reviews, although it was difficult to find a strong consensus on any particular website.

I bought this one, which was in stock @ Target:

I'm posting this recommendation for 2 reasons:
1. The aforementioned difficulty in finding a definitive review site for furniture online.
2. The positive reviews I did read turned out to be absolutely correct.

I'm 100% pleased with the purchase. This thing is cheap ($150), but the metal pieces are a good thick gauge & pleasantly heavy. It feels sturdy as a goddamn tank when it's assembled, has a crisp attractive contemporary look, & tons of shelf space considering the relatively small profile. I paid the same price for the godawful, wobbly-rear end particle board piece of poo poo it's replacing, so I'm really just stunned by the value.

Mr Bike
Dec 3, 2004

More tea Mr. Bike?
Does anyone have a recommendation for a good 3-4 person camping tent? I'm seeing Coleman's that are highly rated on Amazon but I'm wondering if there's another brand I should be looking for?

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Stoatbringer posted:

I have a filter that sits inside the cup ( like this ). Put a spoon of ground coffee in it, drop it in the cup, fill with hot water, and rinse the filter out afterwards.

I have one of those for tea and I use it all the time. I used it once for coffee, but normally I just use my french press for that.

The Light Eternal
Jun 12, 2006

A man who dares to waste one hour of time has not discovered the value of life.

fishtobaskets posted:

I desperately needed to update my 90's-era entertainment center, and in doing my research for a new one online, the brand Z-Line Designs kept coming up with positive reviews, although it was difficult to find a strong consensus on any particular website.

I bought this one, which was in stock @ Target:

I'm posting this recommendation for 2 reasons:
1. The aforementioned difficulty in finding a definitive review site for furniture online.
2. The positive reviews I did read turned out to be absolutely correct.

I'm 100% pleased with the purchase. This thing is cheap ($150), but the metal pieces are a good thick gauge & pleasantly heavy. It feels sturdy as a goddamn tank when it's assembled, has a crisp attractive contemporary look, & tons of shelf space considering the relatively small profile. I paid the same price for the godawful, wobbly-rear end particle board piece of poo poo it's replacing, so I'm really just stunned by the value.

Seconding. It looks nice with my 46'' led tv. Pain in the rear end to move though.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

The Light Eternal posted:

Seconding. It looks nice with my 46'' led tv. Pain in the rear end to move though.

Thirding. I bought one around christmas for my 47" Plasma and it looks great. Solid glass, wood and metal. Easy to assemble.

Mr Bike posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good 3-4 person camping tent? I'm seeing Coleman's that are highly rated on Amazon but I'm wondering if there's another brand I should be looking for?

I've been using coleman tents for a while and they are very durable. Very easy to set up. Overall it has lasted the longest out of all the tents I've ever owned but I haven't been camping lately.

The Light Eternal
Jun 12, 2006

Mr Bike posted:

The MSR Mutha Hubba is a great tent, REI dome tents are also very good. What is your budget?

Mr Bike
Dec 3, 2004

More tea Mr. Bike?
Honestly my budget is somewhere around $150. That's probably a little low for a high quality tent so I'm just thinking of getting a Coleman for ~$100 and seeing how it lasts me. I'd love a $300 tent but now right now.

Circus Pies!
Feb 11, 2011

I thought you were getting me a pie shaped like a clown, instead you mangled my dick!
I'm looking for a giant syringe like thing that I can use to deposit cheesecake batter into little cheesecake pans. I've already got something like this but I need something bigger.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cherry Hammer
Jan 31, 2005

what's a cherry hammer?

Circus Pies! posted:

I'm looking for a giant syringe like thing that I can use to deposit cheesecake batter into little cheesecake pans. I've already got something like this but I need something bigger.

"batter dispenser"

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl
ziploc bag with the corner cut out

Acetone
May 20, 2005
Working toward a glowing-sludge future!

Quantify! posted:

ziploc bag with the corner cut out
This. Instant pastry bag for a fraction of the cost. Not quite as good as the properly shaped disposable pastry bags, but it'll get the job done.

Circus Pies!
Feb 11, 2011

I thought you were getting me a pie shaped like a clown, instead you mangled my dick!
I may try the Ziplock bag again.

The Light Eternal
Jun 12, 2006

Mr Bike posted:

Honestly my budget is somewhere around $150. That's probably a little low for a high quality tent so I'm just thinking of getting a Coleman for ~$100 and seeing how it lasts me. I'd love a $300 tent but now right now.
You could get an REI camp dome for that price afaik.

NarwhalParty
Jul 23, 2010

Circus Pies! posted:

I may try the Ziplock bag again.

You can also try a cake decorating bag and they make rather large tips if you're wanting something more precise.

SlaveToTheGrinds
Apr 3, 2010
You can get disposable cake decorating bags and the larger inserts,tips and cuffs relativly cheaply at any bakery supply store or craft store. I use huge ones at work that I get from Michaels and it's less than 10 bucks for the whole set up. The canvas bags are great too you can get a big one and use it for all sorts of sizes.

Cory Feldspar
May 14, 2006

birds of a feather flock to vagina
I'm looking for a new speaker dock for an iPhone, but was wondering if there were any recommendations beyond the obvious apple products like an ihome. I'd like something under $100 but could be flexible. Also portability is a big plus.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

I have the Logitech S315 speaker dock. Battery life is great, sound is awesome, has an auxiliary input for other devices as well. It plays and charges with the power adapter plugged in, and it's good for about 2-3 hours playtime on regular mode, or a lot more (10+) on power saving, which reduces volume and bass.

Only downside to it is that the iPhone4 doesn't plug in with a case or bumper on. You have to take it off before it'll fit.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I am going to be looking for a vacuum that is effective at picking up cat & dog hair in the next few months. Mainly dog hair. Not sure on a budget atm.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I am looking for a classy yet affordable desk lamp that can be used to light up the whole room, not just shine directly at my desk.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS

Pope Mobile posted:

I am going to be looking for a vacuum that is effective at picking up cat & dog hair in the next few months. Mainly dog hair. Not sure on a budget atm.

This was recommended some time ago. Mentions picking up of hair. Not pet hair, but human hair. May be just as effective though. Has a carpet-cleaning attachment.

ZanderZ posted:

GOONS! Are you tired of constantly having to brush crumbs and marijuana bits off your bed, only to wind up falling asleep in the other 75% of crumbs/bits you didn't manage to sweep off?

Perhaps you should stop smoking weed and eating muffins in bed.

Or perhaps you should invest in The Mini Shark!

It's the most powerful micro vacuum I've ever used. It gets everything up. I managed to clean all the garbage out of the cracks in my hardwood floor with it.

fordham
Oct 5, 2002

Your argument is invalid.
Exciting Lemon
I've got the Bissell Pet Hair Eraser and it's pretty drat good for the price.

Only annoying part is the upper part of the bagless collection area can clog with dog hair but it only takes a few minutes to clean.

If you've got the cash, the Dyson's are well loved.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
I don't know if you guys have heard of Cool Tools but they have a lot of good product recommendations there, new stuff comes out almost every day,
http://www.kk.org/cooltools

b0nes has a new favorite as of 09:40 on Jun 29, 2011

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
I need something to attach to my bike so I can use it as a stationary bike, and get some resistance. I don't know who makes a good resistance trainer.

funakupo
May 9, 2006

the ultimate longterm partner
Oven Wrangler

Pope Mobile posted:

With two cats and high dust mite allergy I use the Miele Cat and Dog 5000. Around 250EUR

http://www.miele.be/be/nl/huishoud/produkten/1325_15180.htm

I'm not sure if the US has an equivalent model from Miele, amazon US shows an upright model S2760.
You're looking for hi-speed brushes and HEPA filter basically.

Prathm
Nov 24, 2005

Jeans:
Which of the big jeans-brands makes the most durable jeans? I bike a lot to and from school and they wear through in my special area pretty fast. I need to try them first because of my long-rear end legs, so ideally the brand should be available here in Europe.

Tshirts:
Who makes a nice long-sleeve/raglan-sleeve tshirt in a lot of colors? I'd like a pretty heavy-weight fabric, pref. cotton. I need it in a long, skinny XL/XXL that doesnt shrink.

Framptonlive
Nov 22, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

b0nes posted:

I need something to attach to my bike so I can use it as a stationary bike, and get some resistance. I don't know who makes a good resistance trainer.
CycleOps make pretty decent trainers. I have an older model but it's lasted me for around 6 years already.

TurdBurgles
Sep 17, 2007

I AM WHITE AND PLAY NA FLUTE ON TRIBAL LANDS WITH NO GUILT.

Framptonlive posted:

CycleOps make pretty decent trainers. I have an older model but it's lasted me for around 6 years already.

I have a Kurt Kinetic and it is a beast. All the welds are super nice and the fluid chamber is sealed off from the roller so that it is guaranteed leak proof for life.
I love it and I beat the poo poo out of it @ 230 lbs.

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

Anyone have a suggestion for a decent messenger bag? I want a basic, canvas style bag, so that I don't always want to bring a back pack places.

Ideally it would be able to hold my 15" macbook, but it doesn't really need to.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

ChiaPetOutletStore posted:

Anyone have a suggestion for a decent messenger bag? I want a basic, canvas style bag, so that I don't always want to bring a back pack places.

Ideally it would be able to hold my 15" macbook, but it doesn't really need to.

Canvas style? So it has to be made out of canvas? because I like my Timbuk2, 4 years and not even a tear.

UnknownHero
Feb 17, 2006

In the end, the world didn't need a Superman, just a selfish one.
I'm looking for bookcases for an apartment. I have a lot of heavy textbooks, so they need to be pretty strong, so I'm pretty suspicious of the Walmart/Target particle board ones that you assemble yourself. Additionally, I'd love if they have spots for digital media- CD cases, DVD cases, and Xbox games, actually built into the shelves. Anybody have any ideas?

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

b0nes posted:

Canvas style? So it has to be made out of canvas? because I like my Timbuk2, 4 years and not even a tear.

I guess it doesn't have to be canvas, I think I just meant anything but leather, basically.

I'll definitly check out the Timbuk2. Is their website the only place to get them? I'm in Toronto, so avoiding shipping and customs would be cool.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

ChiaPetOutletStore posted:

I guess it doesn't have to be canvas, I think I just meant anything but leather, basically.

I'll definitly check out the Timbuk2. Is their website the only place to get them? I'm in Toronto, so avoiding shipping and customs would be cool.

My Crumpler's something like this, also 4 years, carrying a 15" MacBook Pro, and if it wasn't covered in paint it would look almost new at this point.

Edit: also it's really comfortable and holds huge amounts of everything.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

UnknownHero posted:

I'm looking for bookcases for an apartment. I have a lot of heavy textbooks, so they need to be pretty strong, so I'm pretty suspicious of the Walmart/Target particle board ones that you assemble yourself. Additionally, I'd love if they have spots for digital media- CD cases, DVD cases, and Xbox games, actually built into the shelves. Anybody have any ideas?

Do you have any Borders left around you? Around here, the ones that are closing have been selling their bookcases for next to nothing, so long as you haul them away.

For sheer brute strength, it's hard to beat industrial shelving. If you're looking for something a little less severe, try office or library bookcases by Demco, Hon, or Sandusky Lee, which won't bow like Ikea shelves will. Most of them will adjust just fine to give you a media shelf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LizzieBorden
Dec 6, 2009

She's hackin' and wackin' and smackin'
She just hacks, wacks, chopping that meat

Julet Esqu posted:

This sounds awesome and it makes me wish I had an android phone.

Out of curiosity, how close does it generally get to the time you set? I am not a morning person, so I tend to set my alarm to the absolute last possible second I can... I don't leave myself a lot of wiggle room.

You can give it a set time period but I prefer 20 minutes. That seems to be the best time. Long enough for you to start coming out of a sleep cycle and for it to pick it up, short enough that it doesn't wake you too early.

I think there's an app that does something very similar for iPhone too.

If you are smartphoneless then I think there are alarm clocks that do the same think with a wristband.

• Locked thread