Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.

Phone posted:

To get 160whp in a Miata you need:
-decent exhaust (RB - $425)
-decent intake (JDM/EDM squaretop or custom job - $500)
-VVT engine and a way to control the VVT (2001+ motor & MS3 - $700 & $500ish)

If you had a 99-00 motor, an exhaust is worth 10whp on it's own. :v:

A 60HP increase is not "a little pep in it's step". I was (probably very)optimistically hoping for 15 or so(just enough to offset the drag of the A/C, really). Plus if I wanted 160hp I'd skip all that work, pay a little more and just turbo it.

Tactical Bonnet fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jun 20, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
A little more pep is easily achieved with just the 2001 motor. An I/H/E isn't going to do much, but if you want your car to be a bit more lively maybe a lightweight flywheel will do the trick.

FI is really the only way to go with these cars.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
Ech. I'll just keep turning the A/C off when I want to go fast, maybe I'll get lucky and my timing belt will snap at high enough RPM to do damage so I can justify doing a motor swap(and then find a way to justify buying a turbo for the new motor).

And, just for reference, the 2001 motor will bolt up to my current trans, or do I need one of those too?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Tactical Bonnet posted:

maybe I'll get lucky and my timing belt will snap at high enough RPM to do damage

lololololololol how cute

quote:

And, just for reference, the 2001 motor will bolt up to my current trans, or do I need one of those too?

Yeah, the motor bolts up to the trans no problem.

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

Broken timing belt won't damage the engine on these cars.

Non-interference engine :nyan:

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

First Time Caller posted:

Also the easiest timing belt I've ever changed. I've never owned one but if they are as easy to mod as they are to wrench on I'm starting to see why they're so popular.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
They are. The Miata is an amazingly simple car.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Beach Bum posted:

Granted, I hit my head hard enough that I got knocked out and don't remember what happened, but I walked away and doctor pronounced me concussion-free.

I thought the loss of consciousness coming from a blow to the head is definitely a concussion, and that concussions can possibly happen without a knockout.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Anyone here survive with only a soft top through the equivalent of a southern Ontario winter? I'm assuming that I'd be cold, and that once the top is up and its cold out just don't touch the top or it'll crack? Hardtops are proving hard to find.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
What do decent Mazdaspeed NBs go for nowadays?

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

First Time Caller posted:

I know, it's a non-interference encing, but I thought I read somewhere(miata.net?) that if the belt fails spectacularly enough, at high enough RPM that it were possible?

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Maybe if it snaps because you money shift it, but at that point it's got less to do with the timing belt snapping and more with the 10k rpm the engine just copped.

Sterndotstern
Nov 16, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

GD_American posted:

What do decent Mazdaspeed NBs go for nowadays?

$10k-ish. Fantastic value for the money, but so are similar-condition Boxsters.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Sterndotstern posted:

$10k-ish. Fantastic value for the money, but so are similar-condition Boxsters.

so this guy is smoking crack then, right?

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

HAHAHAHAHA. He's probably huffing from his tailpipe too.

You can probably find an excellent condition 01+ with a turbo on it already for 7 or 8k and it will make more power than an unmolested msm. Would likely have a bunch of other crap on it too.

First Time Caller fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Jun 21, 2011

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

My mom picked up a 2004 MSM 3 years ago for like 13.5k with 26k on the clock and the prices have dropped since then.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I think ours was 12k like 3 years ago.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

drat, it looks like unlike everything else, the prices in oklahoma on miata engines isn't insane. I actually found one for $745. Would I just need a VVT module or a whole ECM? It also looks like my living situation might be changing for the shittier, but, as a reult, I'll have all the money I need to do this. I hope this thing is impossible to find for like a year, so I don't just go whole hog on it.

Also, what's the smart thing to do? try and ebay/craigslist the old engine and recoup some cash, or keep it, just in case? I've never had a still-running motor to worry about.

edit: other than the fiddly bits, is the 2001 1.8 the same as the 1995 1.8?

Tactical Bonnet fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jun 22, 2011

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
The VVT module is the ECU from a 2001+ Miata. You're going to want to be able to add fuel too in the midrange since the VVT gives you a nice bump there. In other words if you want this to be worthwhile you should budget for a piggyback Megasquirt 3. That'll handle your fueling, spark and VVT, careful tuning will keep you emissions "legal."

Got my motor back together, somehow I'm now an interference motor. Can't turn the intake cam 360* when the motor is at TDC.

2001 head shaved to near factory min, 1994 bottom end.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

About $18k worth of crack, yes. I walked out of a dealership that had about 10 new MSMs sitting on the lot in summer of 2006 (both '04s and '05s) because they wouldn't come down to about that price.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

MSM's are the best miatas but, as annoying/repetative as it probably sounds, you can do better in the forced induction miata world for wayyyyy less money.

Hermansen
Sep 2, 2006

Breaker, Breaker,
High Ball, Ten Ten,
Till We Do It Again,
Captain Slow.
Crosspost from the horrible mods thread..

Look of the Z4 ey?

Totally indistinguishable.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

FatCow posted:

The VVT module is the ECU from a 2001+ Miata. You're going to want to be able to add fuel too in the midrange since the VVT gives you a nice bump there. In other words if you want this to be worthwhile you should budget for a piggyback Megasquirt 3. That'll handle your fueling, spark and VVT, careful tuning will keep you emissions "legal."

I figured it would be, but I wanted to be sure. Emmissions don't matter in oklahoma. We don't give a gently caress what it is as long as it moves under it's own power.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Hermansen posted:

:ughh:

Are those Supra headlights? Also, that "roll bar" looks like it was designed specifically to crush your head and neck in an accident.

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I was ok with the bodykit, i think we've all seen faux BMW miatas before, i was even fine with the roll bar, its incredibly stupid, but im a jaded goon, what can i say.

Than i scrolled down and saw the (stock) seat headrests...

:stare:

e: the rear trunk and bumper look a LOT like the first gen Z4, could they actually be real? Also i can confirm those are supra headlights.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Hey we just went to pick up our MSM after getting the top slashed. The top would not go down at all, it was interfering with the glass window. The shop said this was normal but it definitely does not seem normal to me. I expected some tightness, but the problem is that the glass it causing it to stick, not the fabric.

We left it there and we will go back tomorrow and pick it up if I can find if this is normal or not. I cannot find any reference to new tops being unable to go down anywhere, and I talked to a coworker who has done several and he said it should be tight going up, not down.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

revmoo posted:

Hey we just went to pick up our MSM after getting the top slashed. The top would not go down at all, it was interfering with the glass window. The shop said this was normal but it definitely does not seem normal to me. I expected some tightness, but the problem is that the glass it causing it to stick, not the fabric.

We left it there and we will go back tomorrow and pick it up if I can find if this is normal or not. I cannot find any reference to new tops being unable to go down anywhere, and I talked to a coworker who has done several and he said it should be tight going up, not down.

It sounds like the mechanism that pulls one of the hoops out of the way of the glass isn't working properly. On my handmade top i've got some fat elastic sewn in that pulls it out of the way.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

meltie posted:

It sounds like the mechanism that pulls one of the hoops out of the way of the glass isn't working properly. On my handmade top i've got some fat elastic sewn in that pulls it out of the way.

This sounds plausible. I feel like I could have forced it down if I had reached in and messed around with the glass, but I did not want to do that.

The lady at the shop said you cant put down the top for a month, which sounded to me like their way of avoiding liability for their screwup.

I figure, if it takes a month, then we will pick up the car in a month.

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.

revmoo posted:

The lady at the shop said you cant put down the top for a month, which sounded to me like their way of avoiding liability for their screwup.

lol, wtf? This is total garbage. The top is shipped in the down position, there's absolutely nothing that wouldn't allow it to be put down immediately after installation.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

n8r posted:

Are you failing emissions now? What about going with some sort of just a generic weld in replacement cat? If the precat is blown out, is it affecting performance? I would think it'd be just fine.

Have you checked with these guys for parts?
http://www.planet-miata.com/index.php?section=31630995

I can almost guarantee even the RB stuff will be finicky to install. Exhaust poo poo is notorious for needing tweaks to work.

Funny you mention that- I just spent last weekend replacing my hosed up frankenstein exhaust with a flying miata midpipe/ RB muffler. It took me 2 hours of twisting and pulling and poo poo to get it all stuck together right- sounds drat nice though.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Savington posted:

lol, wtf? This is total garbage. The top is shipped in the down position, there's absolutely nothing that wouldn't allow it to be put down immediately after installation.

This is what my gut was telling me. We are going to give them a chance to fix it. I understand and expect a tight fit but I donīt believe that the top shouldnīt be able to go down at all.

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I dint think its shipped under the tension it has when it mounts to the car...

I had a robbins top installed by a trusted local mechanic and he said something similar, leave it up for a week or two. Its still very tight and the window did need to be fiddled with for a while, it might just need to break in and loosen up a little bit.

I think they are just telling you not to bend and stretch something that isnt very flexable yet...

Flesh Croissant fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jun 23, 2011

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

When the glass-window Robbins was installed on my NA, they also told me to leave it up for about a week because the vinyl was still very tight. Once I did start putting it down, the window needed a bit of assistance in folding down easily and cleanly for quite a while, but gradually tapered off over time and especially loosened up in warm weather.

It's not like it was that big of a deal, as it was mostly just giving the glass a little bit of an extra guiding hand while lowering the top. I could still drop the top from the driver's seat in about 5 seconds, and required no special attention when raising the top back up.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jun 23, 2011

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
What do you guys think about buying a slightly pre-riced NB?

Not that I want it this way, but it's just the bumper and taillights and no other crimes against the humanity such as fart cans or bling-bling interior. Obviously a I'd prefer a clean stock car, but this one has everything else going for it that most other Miatas lack here, it's a 1.9 with AC, pretty low mileage, and very clean. Would it be difficult to swap this crap for stock parts? I assume unloading the remains to some aspiring ricer wouldn't be too difficult.

The next best one I could find looks almost exactly the same (down to :10bux:) sans the bumper/lights.

The problem is that it's 400km further away, making for a roundtrip that's probably doable, but at the expense of spending any time in a cool city I haven't been to before, or shelling out for a place to sleep.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

It looks like the unriced one has 15" wheels, while I think the riced one has 14".

Unless you like the look of that front bumper and its mismatched silver paint, I would walk away. The taillights are trivial.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

You can put red tint over altezzas and they can look pretty good. It's a 'thing' a lot of NC guys do.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I want a better picture of that bumper on the riced one. Never seen it before.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
So I did the clutch on the miata a last weekend, went pretty well. All is good in miataville, other than the fact that my gf has driven the car a few times and every now and then stalls it on a hot day after driving the car for a while. It wont restart for some time till it seems to cool for a little. It cranks, just doesnt fire. Ive only seen it happen once my self. I opened the hood checked fuses, let it sit for 5min, tried to crank it. It fired once but didnt continue running, just like a revolution or two. I putzed around in the trunk some more and tried it in another 5-10min and it starts right up. Its a 2002 with 90k miles. I was thinking spark plug wires as it is new to us and I hear they need replacement more often on miatas than other cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Mad NC.