Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kinda meh on the first episode but the second was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else.
Blender, you're the only one who's still sober!

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
First half of the first episode and all the second episode were great. It seemed like the first episode ran out of quality jokes about half way through.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Evil Mastermind posted:

I actually felt both episodes were good, although the first one did feel a little...rushed, I guess? Like they were trying to cram to episodes into one.

In this case I think "rushed" was good. It kept on changing how things were going to play out with the plot before I got a chance to be bored with it. And with a gender switching episode, that could have happened quickly if it was just an episode of MEN ARE LIKE THIS, WOMEN ARE LIKE THAT.

EDIT: Same thing with the second episode. At first I thought it was going to be some kind of Benderathon overexposure, but it evolved into an awesome episode.

vv Dude, NWS that poo poo.

A Humble Emperor
Dec 30, 2007

With a big big crown!
:barf:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Why weren't the Guggenheim's paintings on fat people? MY CONTINUITY!

But seriously, that second episode was really good.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

Why weren't the Guggenheim's paintings on fat people? MY CONTINUITY!

But seriously, that second episode was really good.

They put those dusty old paintings in the attic because no one looked at them.

There, paradox resolved!

Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

IUG posted:

EDIT: Same thing with the second episode. At first I thought it was going to be some kind of Benderathon overexposure, but it evolved into an awesome episode.

I certainly didn't expect a grey goo scenario to evolve in a giant robot slugfest, but I'll never turn away from a giant robot slugfest! So, was that one better or worse than that one Anthology of Interest segment?

Now to wait for the first episode to reair, since I missed it due to awful traffic.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

:siren: My opinion :siren:

First one was pretty good, second one was meh. I didn't really have a problem with the gender thing. The writing for Bender's lines seems really lazy for some reason. Just kind of weak overall. I can't put my finger on it. That's pretty much what dragged the entire episode down for me. I just don't like the new season Bender.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Probably because Bender is the low-brow humor of the show with complex math formulas and sci-fi concepts. Your momma jokes and you-so-ugly jokes don't really bring in the back bacon.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah. I feel like they really ramped it up in these last two new seasons. I pretty much watch an episode a night from the first run and there is just a big difference in how I feel he's been written for :(

Oh well, still not terrible.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
You people are nuts. The first episode was pretty darn good and the second episode was fairly great. Totally on par with the rest of the show. I figure this season will be like the previous one: a lot of solid episodes with a handful of great ones and one or two mediocre-to-bad ones. These were the solid ones. We'll get some more emotionally centered ones as the season goes on, but I'm glad we have these fun, non-hard-hitting ones right now.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jun 24, 2011

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Martytoof posted:

:siren: My opinion :siren:

First one was pretty good, second one was meh. I didn't really have a problem with the gender thing. The writing for Bender's lines seems really lazy for some reason. Just kind of weak overall. I can't put my finger on it. That's pretty much what dragged the entire episode down for me. I just don't like the new season Bender.

So you thought the Bender jokes were lazy but the "Women like shopping, Men won't ask for directions" jokes to be just fine?

I dunno. I don't even disagree that the Bender stuff on it's own was a little stale, but the first episode was like half humor that was stale before television animation even existed.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl

A Humble Emperor posted:

A Humble Emperor posted:

A Humble Emperor posted:

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
Scruffy one-liner and Motley Crue in the same episode?

Good season kick-off.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Missed watching it with the thread, but first couple new episodes were good. I liked the first more than the second.

Looking through the thread, guess I'm in the minority on that one. :downs:

Cardboard Box fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jun 24, 2011

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED
I think this is a far stronger start then last season, hope Robot Devil keeps up the pace.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

axleblaze posted:

So you thought the Bender jokes were lazy but the "Women like shopping, Men won't ask for directions" jokes to be just fine?

Yeah I mean I guess one didn't bother me as much as the other. It's just my opinion so it's no big deal.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Martytoof posted:

Yeah I mean I guess one didn't bother me as much as the other. It's just my opinion so it's no big deal.

The men/women jokes bothered me far more than anything else, simply because I thought they were really lazy. If they were going to make such lame, stereotypical jokes they should have been more diligent in subverting them.

Simply making a "women like to shop" joke in the first half, then countering it with a "men who are turned into women like to shop" joken in the second half doesn't make it into social commentary, it just makes it a way more sexist joke. It's saying no matter who you are as a person, if you're a woman you love to shop. That's a pretty terrible message, I think.

How many regular writers on Futurama are women?

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

See? Science proves the JewsMuslims are inferior and must be purged! I'm not a racist, honest!
I loved all the "your mama" and "you're so ugly" jokes, especially when he came back when they were all drunk. Occasionally continuing a joke way past its expiration date makes it funny again. This was one of those times.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

GAINING WEIGHT... posted:

I loved all the "your mama" and "you're so ugly" jokes, especially when he came back when they were all drunk. Occasionally continuing a joke way past its expiration date makes it funny again. This was one of those times.

I thought it was great too. But be warned, Family Guy pulled that poo poo a lot after they came back.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I didn't think Bender's jokes were funny in and of themselves but the other hims reactions to the jokes made it work for me.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Gravel Gravy posted:

I thought it was great too. But be warned, Family Guy pulled that poo poo a lot after they came back.

just so long as we don't get any 6 minute long fight scenes with chickens, we'll be good

Aristobulus
Mar 20, 2007

Slap omni-gel on
everything.

These avatars paid for Lowtax new boat.
The first episode took too long to really get started, the men vs. women was lame and not really funny, but the actual gender swapping - that was amusing and they should've had more of the episode devoted to it instead of setting it up.

The second episode was pretty solid throughout.

Overall I think it's a stronger showing than episode 1 and 2 of this season.

Also, "A fat roach!" "I thought I put that away!"

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Aristobulus posted:

The first episode took too long to really get started, the men vs. women was lame and not really funny, but the actual gender swapping - that was amusing and they should've had more of the episode devoted to it instead of setting it up.
Seemed pretty uniformly bad to me. Half of it was fan service, the rest was really lame gender jokes.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008
The first episode had funny lines, but was pretty lazy story-wise. Though I dug the rock monster who just did stuff for no real reason.

The second though was hilarious, and I loved everyone drunk, as well as Linda's crippling sobriety.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

Aces High posted:

just so long as we don't get any 6 minute long fight scenes with chickens, we'll be good

Or 3 minute performances by Conway Twitty.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

kittenmittons posted:

Or 3 minute performances by Conway Twitty.

It had to be longer then three minutes. It felt like 20

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Both episodes were chock full of gags, I thought the second was a little weaker than the first but both were very funny. I was a particular fan of the Rock Alien not really giving a poo poo one way or the other and just doing stuff because why not.... or that The Borax Kid also referred to that alien as "the other rock alien".

Probably my favorite gag was Fry hitting a bunch of switches, then hitting the auto-pilot which.... reset everything Fry did. Least favorite was the MY MANWICH gag, which I never liked originally and just irritates me more each time it is repeated.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I want The Borax Kid to become a regular.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Inspector_71 posted:

I want The Borax Kid to become a regular.

Agreed 200%.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
I swear I saw the Rock Alien on an episode of ST:TOS. 3rd season maybe?

anotherone
Feb 8, 2001
Username taken, please choose another one

Ensign_Ricky posted:

The rock alien conducting a big dramatic experiment on the crew is more or less a parody of the third season episode The Savage Curtain: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Savage_Curtain

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Like others in the thread, my first thought was,"It's the Galaxy Quest Rock Monster!"

My second thought was that they should get out of there before it kills Guy, before I remembered those were the little fanged children aliens.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

anotherone posted:

The rock alien conducting a big dramatic experiment on the crew is more or less a parody of the third season episode The Savage Curtain: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Savage_Curtain

That's the one!

pigz
Jul 12, 2004

Nearly as overlooked as Joe Mauer
First one was 'good'

second one was amazing. Well written and there were some good animation pieces with the thousands of benders. Like when bender is first hit by Patton in the mouth. I kept wishing that they had the old fox animation budget though. The 3d stuff they could of done with a multitude of "Benders" would of been stunning, yet they really did pull it off at times. At the same time there were some really badly done shots. Like all the benders joining together.

Wonder if this will be submitted next year for an Emmy. (For 2011 it was The Late Philip J. Fry episode which was a great one to submit).

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

pigz posted:

Wonder if this will be submitted next year for an Emmy. (For 2011 it was The Late Philip J. Fry episode which was a great one to submit).

Nah, they'll have an "emotional episode" once or twice this season that will go for the Emmy - and they'll be amazing.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

feedmyleg posted:

Nah, they'll have an "emotional episode" once or twice this season that will go for the Emmy - and they'll be amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjNw75bJyuM

Oh god, not another one of these I hope. :cry:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Just watched both episodes, as I had DVRed them from earlier.

They were...alright. Not great. A few pretty good laughs here and there, but not episodes I'd go out of my way to re-watch because I enjoyed them so much or anything like that.

Echoing what a lot of other people are saying on here about hoping that the next few episodes pick up since these two were disappointing like last year's season premiere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danzel Glovington
Mar 16, 2006

I'm too old to bury my son!

Gravel Gravy posted:

Stop right there. Do not..do NOT! EVER! compare Futurama to Family Guy in ANY way. Ever! Please I beg of you keep that opinion to yourself, the derails are not worth turning even one person onto your opinion.

When this show was renewed after the dark ages of cancellation die hard fans were so upset with anyone who said the new episodes resemble family guy.

I for one say this show is beyond Family Guy in every way imaginable that can be construed as positive. It is brilliantly written.

As for my opinion on the 2 newbies. I laughed a whole lot. I'm sure on rewatches I'll love them like I love the other 13 new ones. Multiple Benders really can't make an episode bad so there you have it for the second one.

For the first new one, all the jokes about how the story moves forward for no reason REALLY worked like we were watching old Futurama, and the punchline of "all our fans are huge perverts" had me rolling and lolling.

I really can't complain, these episodes said to me, "Watch us, we're very very funny and there are MUCH better one's to come"

There's no way David X would let them blow their load on a premiere, we WILL see better episodes in these coming weeks I ASSURE you all.

• Locked thread