Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

fknlo posted:

Not sure if this is the right thread, but does google voice effectively replace the stock messaging and voicemail apps? Do I just get rid of those widgets?

It has replaced them for me. Being able to do everything I want on my computer with my phone's number makes it perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

spidoman posted:

It has replaced them for me. Being able to do everything I want on my computer with my phone's number makes it perfect.
The best part is the text transcription of a voicemail that can be emailed or texted to the phone (or retrieved through the Voice app). Being able to text from my computer while I'm at work is also fantastic. I left my phone plugged in next to my bed this morning and didn't miss a call or text.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

spidoman posted:

Yeah, I was wondering since messages weren't showing up in messaging app. Was wondering where they went and then I remembered that I did voice integration.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

2 questions: Does the 3d come with headphones? Also, how much does the 450 minute plan with unlimited data/texting usually cost after insurance, taxes and the 10 dollar smartphone fee?

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

change my name posted:

2 questions: Does the 3d come with headphones? Also, how much does the 450 minute plan with unlimited data/texting usually cost after insurance, taxes and the 10 dollar smartphone fee?

If you don't have a corporate discount, check the OP for EPRP if you're a new customer, it knocks off $10 from the 450 plan to start out. Taxes would be ~$10 or less depending on where you live.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Oh I already signed up for a school plan today at 18% off the total price, I was just wondering how much I was saving overall.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

900ftjesus posted:

The guy who makes Fresh ROM (easily one of the best Evo 4G Sense ROMs) has his 24-hour impression of the 3D posted, it's pretty informative and gives a lot of detail:
http://geekfor.me/news/24-hours-with-my-evo-3d/

That was pretty good. Confirms my decision not to upgrade from a EVO,but also confirms my decision to upgrade my wife's Hero to the 3D. It is hard for me not to upgrade myself, but I hope waiting pays off by the end of the year. Need some more leaks about the Nexus 3.

snKestren
Jun 25, 2008

change my name posted:

It comes with a combination charger/USB cable and that's it.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe
Seem they're trying to push another update. I declined it for now just to wait and see what this is all about.

So I'm deathly afraid to touch spiderman as I don't have to time to head to a sprint shop.

Edit: goddamn it was the update that breaks your dialer!

I had no idea you could do that
VVVVVV

averox fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jun 24, 2011

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I didn't realize this, but the ability to adjust the height of the view in maps on the 3D by dragging two fingers down in a \/ shape is really excellent.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

brc64 posted:

I hope you all get some new form of hand cancer.

I may be slightly jealous.

I have hand cancer.

There appears to be an EVO 3D growing out of my right hand.

I can't put this thing down.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

I went from Palm Centro to Evo last summer, and that was an amazing leap. I was expecting this upgrade to be far less impressive... yet here I am, amazed. This thing puts my Xoom to shame in performance. I love the higher DPI, brighter screen, everything. I used my wife's Evo and I immediately noticed how big all the font was. The enhanced DPI is amazing.

Looks like if the phone can use Nextel's old bands for 3G, they haven't been enabled yet. Same crap speed for Phoenix and its suburbs.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Turnquiet posted:

Looks like if the phone can use Nextel's old bands for 3G, they haven't been enabled yet. Same crap speed for Phoenix and its suburbs.

I have to say I've never noticed terribad speeds except in places I get poo poo signal, and this is across a combination of downtown Tempe, east Phoenix, and far east Mesa.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

a shameful boehner posted:

I didn't realize this, but the ability to adjust the height of the view in maps on the 3D by dragging two fingers down in a \/ shape is really excellent.

It's actually just two fingers parallel like || but yeah it's a pretty sweet feature. That and you can 'spin' in three dimensions by using two fingers and rotating them around.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

Fun Shoe

Turnquiet posted:

I used my wife's Evo and I immediately noticed how big all the font was. The enhanced DPI is amazing.

"More like it's the same piece of poo poo screen :rolleyes:" -pretty much every tech blog

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

letsgoflyers81 posted:

They're not the lenses but picture quality will really suffer if you scratch or scuff them. One of the main reasons I'm getting a case is to make sure the camera housing is recessed and won't make contact with a table or desk or whatever.

I dunno, I cracked the lens on my EVO (it ran in three directions) and it had zero effect on picture quality.

jaku78
Mar 17, 2009

averox posted:

"More like it's the same piece of poo poo screen :rolleyes:" -pretty much every tech blog

It sounds like it's more about the resolution than the quality of the screen from what he said. And when talking about screen quality(sLCD vs sAMOLED) most people don't notice it anyway. It's a freaking cellphone, with a 4.3inch screen.

Getimmaaw
Dec 22, 2006

Freshguy.. posted:

Despite the phone having swype installed, HTC’s keyboard now has the ability to type just by drawing on it like swype. You simply need to enable it in the settings. That’s a pretty cool feature.

This is pretty cool, I actually prefer it over swype for some reason.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

jaku78 posted:

It sounds like it's more about the resolution than the quality of the screen from what he said. And when talking about screen quality(sLCD vs sAMOLED) most people don't notice it anyway. It's a freaking cellphone, with a 4.3inch screen.

I happen to be upgrading from an Epic, I should post a side-by-side to show everyone on the fence precisely how little difference there is.

e: Aside from the contrast ratio being better on the SAMOLED (colors "pop" more, blacks are blacker, etc) the screens are equivalent in image quality, the E3D having a much higher resolution. The difference is obviously LCD vs OLED. In OLED, black is no light at all, whereas from LCD, it means no color being placed over the backlight. I would say the EVO's screen is brighter light-wise as a result, though the relative dimness of the SAMOLED does not necessarily diminish the readability or useability of the screen.

Overall, the difference is almost in a zone equivalent to audiophiles bickering about infrasound and non-audible frequencies. That is, to say, academic. You can see a difference between the screens but it's not poo poo vs gold. More like 18k gold vs 24k gold or something. And then you have the higher resolution, which is a flat boost to utility and occasionally crispness.

e: http://imgur.com/a/Ph3JR/all a few side-by-side pictures. Please forgive the lovely lighting, I didn't want to get a bunch of glare in the way.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Jun 24, 2011

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

averox posted:

Every review I read said that the screen was good, and it was a nice jump from the EVO. They just said that they have seen better screens lately.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

bobula posted:

I dunno, I cracked the lens on my EVO (it ran in three directions) and it had zero effect on picture quality.

I don't understand how your pictures would be fine if you have a big scratch or something sitting right in front of the camera's view. I know it's not the lens, but what would you see if you wore glasses that were scratched up?

Getimmaaw posted:

This is pretty cool, I actually prefer it over swype for some reason.

All the reviews I've read say that it's much wore than Swype. It's interesting that you prefer it, I'll have to play with it a bit.

averox posted:

The trend I noticed from some of the blogs was that the screen didn't seem as nice as other qHD screens like the Sensation or DX2, most likely due to the parallax layer.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

a shameful boehner posted:

It's not a V-shape, it's actually a | | shape. Two fingers, up and down. You can also use two fingers and twist them to rotate the map around.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

letsgoflyers81 posted:

I don't understand how your pictures would be fine if you have a big scratch or something sitting right in front of the camera's view. I know it's not the lens, but what would you see if you wore glasses that were scratched up?

It probably resulted in a slight blur over part or all of the image, but due to the focal plane being much further away from the camera than the scratched lens cover, didn't affect picture quality enough to bug them. I've had scratches on glasses before, and they are noticeable when they're in your field of view, but generally they don't actually block your vision or anything, just obscure it slightly.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

sirbeefalot posted:

It probably resulted in a slight blur over part or all of the image, but due to the focal plane being much further away from the camera than the scratched lens cover, didn't affect picture quality enough to bug them. I've had scratches on glasses before, and they are noticeable when they're in your field of view, but generally they don't actually block your vision or anything, just obscure it slightly.

Right, this is what I would expect and it would annoy the hell out of me.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

letsgoflyers81 posted:

Right, this is what I would expect and it would annoy the hell out of me.

I think this is enlightning: http://kurtmunger.com/dirty_lens_articleid35.html
http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2008/10/front-element-scratches

It's really not going to be that bad unless you completely smash the hell out of it.

Rurutia fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jun 24, 2011

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

The Entire Universe posted:

e: http://imgur.com/a/Ph3JR/all a few side-by-side pictures. Please forgive the lovely lighting, I didn't want to get a bunch of glare in the way.

Aside from the second one which makes the AMOLED really shine because of all the black, the Evo 3D looks great.

Myrddin Emrys posted:

It's not a V-shape, it's actually a | | shape. Two fingers, up and down. You can also use two fingers and twist them to rotate the map around.

Excuse me but you'll find I already said that :colbert:

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
Any of you guys that preordered from Amazon get a shipment notification yet?

I finally pulled the trigger on three 3Deez late last night and my expected arrival date is Tuesday. Just curious if that's just a catch-all date for preorder people or if some of you guys have earlier dates.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

Fun Shoe
I guess as far as colors go it'll never top AMOLED. I'm surprised no reviews have really mentioned the pixel density though. I can't be arsed to fact check but didn't a few sites kind of pass off the screen as about the same as the Evo? Or perhaps they were saying that about the colors and levels which honestly feel the same except warmer.

Also, does anyone else's phone seem to almost permanently be trying to sync? I don't think it's using data or anything it's just that the sync icon is hanging up there. Happened last night so I rebooted but then it popped up over night.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
That's one of the things the OTA updates are supposed to have fixed.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Sorry to interrupt all the Evo 3D talk; I ordered my Echo and it is schedualed to arrive later today. I'm on oldschool SERO. Do I need to try to activate it first or call the number in the OP to upgrade my account first?

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

big mean giraffe posted:

Excuse me but you'll find I already said that :colbert:
You're right, please accept my most sincere apology.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

RodShaft posted:

Sorry to interrupt all the Evo 3D talk; I ordered my Echo and it is schedualed to arrive later today. I'm on oldschool SERO. Do I need to try to activate it first or call the number in the OP to upgrade my account first?

Probably either way would work, once they upgrade your plan they would probably just do a service swap so its on your account. Let us know your thoughts on the phone!

Happy Evo 3D day everybody!

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755

Leathal posted:

Any of you guys that preordered from Amazon get a shipment notification yet?

I finally pulled the trigger on three 3Deez late last night and my expected arrival date is Tuesday. Just curious if that's just a catch-all date for preorder people or if some of you guys have earlier dates.

Today is the ship date, I believe. I can confirm that none of the six preorders I facilitated have shipped yet.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

I noticed I can't setup any special notification sounds like I could with the Evo. Huh. Is the stock Evo like that as well? I run Sense on the Evo with root and I always remember being able to change that.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

900ftjesus posted:

Tips for selling on craigslist:
Go to monoprice.com and get a cheap car charger and the $5 micro HDMI cable. Total will be around $10 shipped I think.

List it with "extras" and a "clean ESN" for $275. You almost paid for your 3D, even after deductible. If you can root it, unlock the thing and sell it "unlocked." That opens it up to Cricket customers too. I've seen them pre-flashed to Cricket selling for $350-$400, so this is definitely worth a shot if you know how (it's not hard if you are comfortable rooting/flashing stuff). Including that HDMI cable and a car charger always help, people think those are expensive since they're ~$30 each in a Sprint store.

EDIT: If you add the charger and HDMI, you should be able to get $300 for it.

I'm contemplating this. I skimmed the article you linked, but it wasn't immediately obvious... is "unlocked" the same thing as rooted, in the sense of being able to flash to Cricket? Or is there some additional step beyond the normal root procedure? And generally speaking, is there a bigger market on craigslist for pre-rooted phones, or is it a safer bet to sell it stock?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Turnquiet posted:

I noticed I can't setup any special notification sounds like I could with the Evo.

I'm not really sure what you even mean by this. Do you mean you can't use custom notification sounds? Or you can't set custom notifications?

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
Can't set custom notification sounds.

My shift just updated to the same thing. I can only use the stock notifications listed, there's no option to use an audio file and rings extended stopped working. I also can't see any way to set a different notification sound for different events.

You can add to the list by making a folder "/sdcard/notifications" and adding stuff there, but I'm still getting the default notification sound.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

Rurutia posted:

I think this is enlightning: http://kurtmunger.com/dirty_lens_articleid35.html
http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2008/10/front-element-scratches

It's really not going to be that bad unless you completely smash the hell out of it.

Eh, shows what I know!

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Called local Best Buy to ensure that my wife's EVO 3D was in. Guy said they had tons of them left and not running out anytime soon. So if you didn't pre-order sounds like no problem picking one up soon. I wondering since Sprint has a lot better phone selection now than it did at the EVO 4G (plus all the people who still have a year left) launch that the 3D will sell a lot less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

What kind of policies does Sprint have for people who have constant repair issues with a phone that aren't due to massive damage / drops / water damage? My mother-in-law takes her Pre into Sprint regularly for issues with being able to answer calls (sounds like a digitizer issue to me) but they're never able to fix it for long for some reason. An insurance claim makes no sense since you can get a used Pre for under $100 these days.