Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnoriginalMind
Dec 22, 2007

I Love You
I just burned through the entire archives last night and this morning. WHY DID I HAVE TO CATCH UP!? :gonk: Just a question, how many years have passed since the beginning of the strip and now? I have trouble keeping track of the characters' ages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funkstar Deluxe
May 7, 2007

「☆☆☆」
Isn't each chapter a year? I may be wrong though.

edit: Just looked at how many chapters there is. There's no way 33 years have passed. :stare:

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
It's been about two years. Two summer breaks so far.

Robo Pope
Jul 17, 2004

I AM THE POPE, DO AS I SAY.
Yeah, I believe they're just starting their 9th year of school.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Kat Donlan, Reanimator.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Is the robot referring to the heart cube thing?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The modern robots have a cube thingy, the older ones literally had a stone heart covered in symbols.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Assisted suicide? :(

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE

This is the cutest face.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Was that a Bicentennial man reference?

I hope to hell that the old robot's up for a Q&A session before he dies.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
"So if all you want is to be dead, why did we wake you up in the first place?"

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Ironically, all the other robots yearn to live and walk free again. Kat just happened to pick the one terminally depressed, suicidal, sociopathic robot to wake up first.

r0ff13c0p73r
Sep 6, 2008

Nipponophile posted:

Ironically, all the other robots yearn to live and walk free again. Kat just happened to pick the one terminally depressed, suicidal, sociopathic robot to wake up first.

He probably killed all the other old robots to make food for the new robots...SOYLENT GREEN IS ROBOTS!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

r0ff13c0p73r posted:

He probably killed all the other old robots to make food for the new robots...SOYLENT GREEN IS ROBOTS!

It's packed full of essential vitamins and minerals!

Well, minerals, anyway!

Ok so it's mostly a chromium-molybdenum alloy. But kids don't get nearly enough molybdenum these days!

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

Phy posted:

It's packed full of essential vitamins and minerals!

Well, minerals, anyway!

Ok so it's mostly a chromium-molybdenum alloy. But kids don't get nearly enough molybdenum these days!

I'm 60% chromium!

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
For a panel I thought Annie was about to give Kat a big wet kiss.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
God, Annie, weren't you paying attention when Jones told you that? :rolleyes:

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
What the heck is this?! This is so twisted!!

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
So the court is alive then and constantly growing.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I'm not really sure why Annie wants to know about the start of the Court, so much.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Fangz posted:

I'm not really sure why Annie wants to know about the start of the Court, so much.

Because it's tied into what happened to the ghost lady that cut her face. It is a MYSTERY!

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Because it's tied into what happened to the ghost lady that cut her face. It is a MYSTERY!

A mystery that's already been answered twice. Seed bismuth.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Not really. The dividing of the court from the forest occurred a while after all that. She could have just asked about Jeanne directly.

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

Fangz posted:

Wasn't that her homework from Jones?

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Fangz posted:

Not really. The dividing of the court from the forest occurred a while after all that. She could have just asked about Jeanne directly.

Jeanne hasn't exactly been in the mood for answering questions for the past few centuries.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Nipponophile posted:

I tried to contact Diego.
I don't know why, but he never replied...

McGravin
Aug 25, 2004

Tantum via caeli per ferro incendioque est.
I love GC and normally I think Tom is a top-notch writer, but I kind of hate this latest strip. It reminds me a lot of some of the worst aspects of Lost and similar shows, namely one character completely failing to answer a direct question. One character poses a reasonable question that the audience also desperately wants an answer to, but the other character (who knows the answer) responds with an evasive non-answer and then the scene moves on as if the matter were settled.

Writers: please don't do this. If you don't plan on answering a question, don't ask it in the first place. If you absolutely must ask a question, say you want to get the audience to think about it, have one character pose it idly or rhetorically or have the responding character genuinely not know the answer.

Micgael
Aug 8, 2007

"Gimme a kiss."

McGravin posted:

I love GC and normally I think Tom is a top-notch writer, but I kind of hate this latest strip. It reminds me a lot of some of the worst aspects of Lost and similar shows, namely one character completely failing to answer a direct question. One character poses a reasonable question that the audience also desperately wants an answer to, but the other character (who knows the answer) responds with an evasive non-answer and then the scene moves on as if the matter were settled.

Writers: please don't do this. If you don't plan on answering a question, don't ask it in the first place. If you absolutely must ask a question, say you want to get the audience to think about it, have one character pose it idly or rhetorically or have the responding character genuinely not know the answer.

Except by asking it reraises the question to set up for a "Let's solve this riddle" story.

McGravin
Aug 25, 2004

Micgael posted:

Except by asking it reraises the question to set up for a "Let's solve this riddle" story.

The question has been raised several times before and answered with evasive non-answers every time. None of those were immediate set-ups for such a story.

As I said, if you want to call the issue forward in your audience's mind, simply have one character pose the question idly or rhetorically, or else ask someone who genuinely does not know. To ask someone who knows and not get an answer to the question is very frustrating, at least to me.

UnoriginalMind
Dec 22, 2007

I Love You

McGravin posted:

The question has been raised several times before and answered with evasive non-answers every time. None of those were immediate set-ups for such a story.

As I said, if you want to call the issue forward in your audience's mind, simply have one character pose the question idly or rhetorically, or else ask someone who genuinely does not know. To ask someone who knows and not get an answer to the question is very frustrating, at least to me.

I agree. I find it hard to believe that the robot could not answer a few questions before dying again. I mean, his place was Diego's tribute, but that doesn't mean he's on the clock or anything. It's not the worst storytelling, but it certainly is flimsy.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
When the robot says "It grew from the seed bismuth," he is not being dodgy. That is literally the only answer he knows. When Jones says it, yes, she is being snarky, "hows that for an answer you little fire elemental :effort: + :smug:" To the robots, it makes complete sense, it is just that they have no other way of describing the origin of the Court other than "seed bismuth, duh."

It would be different if an actual human adult was asked, or hell, if they could somehow ask a human who was around at that time. In that case, them saying "seed bismuth" it would be a dick move. But Robots are different.

life_source fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jun 27, 2011

McGravin
Aug 25, 2004

I'm certain if Annie expanded her line of questioning, the robot would have plenty more useful information. "What was the Court like in its earliest days?" just for starters would yield untold clues toward answering the questions we really want answered.

But, nope, time to go back to being dead. Right now. No more questions.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Yeah, that was a little jarring. Hopefully it'll turn into something, like he didn't want to answer the question, or something.

We still love you, Tom.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
It could also be that the robot dude doesn't realize it as a mystery. Like if someone pointed at your dog and said "whats that" you would say a dog because its obviously a dog. The robot was around in a different time when maybe that answer would have been a blatantly obvious one to a stupid question, or maybe "seed bismuth" would have been all that was necessary as an answer for a person from his time.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Pester posted:

Wasn't that her homework from Jones?

You know how Carver is about homework.

McGravin
Aug 25, 2004

Phy posted:

You know how Carver is about homework.

Heck, she just tried to get the answers from Kat's hard work!

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
God damnit, Robot, what the gently caress are you doin' now <:mad:>

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Fuego Fish posted:

God damnit, Robot, what the gently caress are you doin' now <:mad:>
This is getting kind of weird. He's cultivating a, well, a cult.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Robot needs to cool down on the evangelizing, he's making Shadow 2 sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

He's just sad because robot's stepping on him.