Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

demolition rickshaw
Mar 10, 2007

I NEED AVATARS. AVATARS OF HARDHAT SPIDER-MAN!
Kill me. http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=32907

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

demolition rickshaw posted:

This is the first time I've not recoiled in disgust looking at Chaykin's work. I have to admit that with decent inks and colors Chaykin's stuff is tolerable.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

demolition rickshaw posted:

Jesus Christ that is horrible.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Steve. Motherfucking. Ditko.

To me it's almost criminal how obscure Ditko is compared to his early Marvel contemporaries. Lee and Kirby are household names, but Ditko gets a lot more blank stares, even though he designed Marvel's most popular superhero and plotted out and drew some of Spidey's most memorable stories.

That's Eternity up there, a creation of Ditko's for the Dr. Strange book. To me the design is as iconic, larger than life and awe-inspiring as Kirby's amazing Galactus, and he always framed the panels to convey the importance of the character. I mean the guy is literally the entire universe personified, and look how awesome he is. Look at how awesome the composition is there.

These 3 panels of the Scorpion's first story are more iconic and interesting to me than anything anyone else has ever done with the character. The text plays a part there but look at the dramatic buildup of the panels, getting closer and closer to a truly chilling inhuman face.

From the same issue. I genuinely have yet to see anyone in comics who could match the expressiveness of Ditko's characters. They all seemed so vulnerable and lost, and their exaggerated motions and detailed, heavily-lined faces created a feeling that reminds me most of german expressionism. It exposed something naked and human in them that triggers immediate empathy, a sense of knowing exactly how they feel.

A lot of his best work, visually is this type of "mask of sanity crumbling" scene, and again his sense of visual progression served to heighten the drama as his expressive art made us feel the mounting desperation of the characters.

Lastly, some of my all-time favorite Ditko art comes from his Mr. A era. While the narration and dialogue tended to veer into the manifesto style of gigantic walls of text, and the opinions expressed within were often shockingly extreme or simply impossible to follow, the visual experimentation used to convey Ditko's personal worldview is by far some of his most fascinating and technically proficient work. I mean, what can you add to a spread like this?

In short, I love Ditko, and you should too.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Gene Colan died and here is his classic Iron Man, however basically any of his art can go here.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
Wow, Newsarama's article says that he worked on Jughead's Time Police. Too bad when I was 7 and had a 3-issue subscription I didn't care - but I recall that being a better-than-normal Archie book with good artwork. At least he went at a good age I guess.

Fantabulero
Apr 28, 2009

POP, POP!
Marcos. loving. Martin.

I cannot wait for Daredevil.

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.
Heh, apparently Murdock has Booty Sonar based on that image.

Martin is simply tremendous. His panel layouts, the sense of motion he conveys, everything. I may be mis-remembering, but when he was working on Amazing Spider-Man, I swear the letters column was full of people trashing his art, and my mind was boggled. They had to be 12 year old Greg Land fanatics whose tastes hadn't matured yet, at least that's what I tell myself. Another reason I pretty well stay on SA for my comic discussion. Here's a few things I pulled from google image search:

These 4 are from Amazing Spider-Man 655

First the cover:

And some interior work:

That final one is so simple, yet amazingly effective. I better stop before I post that full issue, I love it.

This next one I don't have a source for. Possibly Captain America 50? I know he worked on that. Based on the page I found it on, it sounds like someone removed text from the page also:

Edit: VVV Thanks Waterhaul. And the cover you posted is one of my favorites, can't believe I left it out.

Madrox fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jun 25, 2011

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

EDIT: Now that you have content, now so will I.

Madrox posted:

And some interior work:

This spread is so amazing I want to get this issue, even though I have no interest in Spider-Man.

IUG fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jun 25, 2011

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Madrox posted:

Heh, apparently Murdock has Booty Sonar based on that image.

Martin is simply tremendous. His panel layouts, the sense of motion he conveys, everything. I may be mis-remembering, but when he was working on Amazing Spider-Man, I swear the letters column was full of people trashing his art, and my mind was boggled. They had to be 12 year old Greg Land fanatics whose tastes hadn't matured yet, at least that's what I tell myself. Another reason I pretty well stay on SA for my comic discussion. Here's a few things I pulled from google image search:

First the cover:

And some interior work:

That final one is so simple, yet amazingly effective. I better stop before I post that full issue, I love it.

This next one I don't have a source for. Possibly Captain America 50? I know he worked on that. Based on the page I found it on, it sounds like someone removed text from the page also:

Edit: I feel dumb. The links should work, but how do I get linked thumbnails from imgur?

Thumbnail code is just [*TIMG]url[*/TIMG] minus the *

And a little more Martin for good measure.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It's really to his credit that I recognize almost every dead person on that two-page spread, even though only a few are named. If that spread had been done by, say, John Romita Jr.(though he's a great artist in his own right), I'd have no idea who any of them are supposed to be except the ones with obvious visual cues like Kaine and the masked ones.

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl

Lurdiak posted:

It's really to his credit that I recognize almost every dead person on that two-page spread, even though only a few are named. If that spread had been done by, say, John Romita Jr.(though he's a great artist in his own right), I'd have no idea who any of them are supposed to be except the ones with obvious visual cues like Kaine and the masked ones.
It's shocking how few cartoonists can actually do a unique and recognizable face because it's really the only important thing in the comic. How many short-form comics reduce most of the panel to just talking heads? You can get away with a lot of "cheats" if you draw recognizable people.

Somehow people drawing nothing but heads manage to draw the same head anyway, like the Doonesbury guy. For a while I thought the entire comic was one guy arguing with his multiple personalities.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I absolutely love Ryan Bodenheim's artwork. Very detailed and clean. Unfortunately I haven't seen much of his work around. I'm guessing it takes him a while to draw his stuff.

Red Mass For Mars #1

Halcyon #1

Superman and Batman from his DeviantArt Page (I love this image)

Lots of cool stuff on his DeviantArt page. Such as this hilarious Cable drawing.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Quantify! posted:

It's shocking how few cartoonists can actually do a unique and recognizable face because it's really the only important thing in the comic. How many short-form comics reduce most of the panel to just talking heads? You can get away with a lot of "cheats" if you draw recognizable people.

Somehow people drawing nothing but heads manage to draw the same head anyway, like the Doonesbury guy. For a while I thought the entire comic was one guy arguing with his multiple personalities.

See also Steve Dillon

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl

Deadpool posted:

I absolutely love Ryan Bodenheim's artwork. Very detailed and clean.
Reminds me a lot of Frank Quitely with his "bulky" figures. Very cool.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Deadpool posted:

Halcyon #1

I guess being an urban vigilante, he never needs to slow down.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
I loved Martin's work on that Dr. Strange mini a few years back.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Quantify! posted:

Shortfall of the medium I'd guess. The hero were given bright recognizable outfits to make them recognizable, so developing a definitive facial look (outside of hair style, eye color, or facial hair) never really happened. Even someone as Iconic as Superman can be described as black hair, curl, blue eyes. (Large jaw seems optional)

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl

Jonny Nox posted:

Shortfall of the medium I'd guess. The hero were given bright recognizable outfits to make them recognizable, so developing a definitive facial look (outside of hair style, eye color, or facial hair) never really happened. Even someone as Iconic as Superman can be described as black hair, curl, blue eyes. (Large jaw seems optional)
Little things like how a characters hair is styled can make a world of difference between "I don't know who that is" and "Ah, that's so-and-so". Clark Kent's hair is prone to being messier because he's a bumbler. Bruce Wayne's hair is prone to being very slick looking because he's a playboy. You can draw the same guy for both of them and the reader would be able to tell them apart at a glance if you did this correctly.

Of course, there's always more clues. Bruce would have a tendency to smirk more, Clark would look alarmed more. But only the good artists use the clues. The bad ones draw the same guy and ignore the little things, so you end up with books where you're having to learn character identities from dialogue - sometimes a difficult task when you have changing artists and a story that doesn't always reintroduce a character every issue.

In any case, nobody was doing really top-notch anatomy or faces early on in comics. It took a long time before cartoonists really started to get into that. But it's not an excuse to continue those behaviors today. If you can't draw a person or a face, you shouldn't be making a living drawing those things.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Fantabulero posted:

Marcos. loving. Martin.

I cannot wait for Daredevil.

Using my superpower to check out babes. :smug:
That is a really interesting way of showing off his powers though, I like it.

Deadpool posted:

I absolutely love Ryan Bodenheim's artwork. Very detailed and clean. Unfortunately I haven't seen much of his work around. I'm guessing it takes him a while to draw his stuff.

Red Mass For Mars #1

Fantastic series, even if it did take over a year to complete.
You left out my favourite part though, it co-starred Paul Giamatti. :v:

Speaking of Hickman though, while I wouldn't call him the best of artists (his faces are a bit rough) I really do enjoy his chaotic style:

From the first issue of Pax Romana.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Senior Woodchuck posted:

I loved Martin's work on that Dr. Strange mini a few years back.

I know this wasn't what you were talking about, but it made me think of the (in my opinion) underrated Strange Mini with art by Emma Rios. Pretty sure she hasn't been posted yet.

This last one is from the Osborn mini, and it's huge. But I love the top panel, you can tell the guy is hitting fast, there's no question of the action here. And the grittiness in the bottom panels works perfectly.

A lot of it is in the colors, but I love the simplistic yet with detail look. Action looks like action, faces are usually unique (though she seems to have a lot of large fat noses but I like em) and consistency between panels.

Edit: Also, her women are usually more realistic looking though still with the super-heroine physique.

Leper Residue fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jun 28, 2011

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I too love still frames of anime.

bigbigtruck
Feb 7, 2011

rattlesnake caught in a wheel well, strawberry in an ostrich throat
Madrox, thanks for the tip on Martin. I'm not super into Spider-Man or DD (just have a handful of trades of each), but that panelling is so incredible I've got to hunt down and buy some of his work. Do you have an issue # or date on the DD issue with that spread?

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

In fairness to JRJr, a lot of his work is very functional, but he does draw some great stuff.

This is one of my all-time favourite Spider-Man covers and images.

whorootbeerdatbe
Jul 6, 2008

ChuckDHead posted:

In fairness to JRJr, a lot of his work is very functional, but he does draw some great stuff.

This is one of my all-time favourite Spider-Man covers and images.

My only real problem with Romita, Jr., is that all the men he draws look like they just had their noses broken. Which, now that I think about it, makes sense in a superhero book.

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Fireworks for Christmas is absolutely American
My only problem with JRJr is that he's not referred to as Jazzy John Romita Junior. Why isn't jazziness hereditary, its just not fair?

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

whorootbeerdatbe posted:

My only real problem with Romita, Jr., is that all the men he draws look like they just had their noses broken. Which, now that I think about it, makes sense in a superhero book.

Oddly enough my problem with JRjr is his women. Avengers #1:

Are they making fishlips? Did they just have reconstructive surgery to fix their Joker smile? Are they sucking on a sour ball?

I know he's trying to illustrate prominant cheekbones on attractive women, but they all look emaciated.

Holy poo poo, someone get Spider-Woman a sandwich!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I hate Bendis for that OMG bit.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Heathen posted:

Holy poo poo, someone get Spider-Woman a sandwich!

I thought this was a panel from Marvel Zombies for a minute :gonk:

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Rhyno posted:

I hate Bendis for that OMG bit.

Teen girls actually use that term irl.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Happy Hippo posted:

:negative: Humanity is doomed. Our 'futures' are too loving retarded to function.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Malachite_Dragon posted:

:negative: Humanity is doomed. Our 'futures' are too loving retarded to function.

Oh like you've never done something retarded/annoying as a teenager.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Happy Hippo posted:

Sadly, it is not just teen girls. I was grabbing lunch in my work cafeteria and heard a 20s-ish girl say "B-T-Dubs" non-ironically.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Happy Hippo posted:

Some of my guy friends say LoL.

They're about 18-19.

Yeah.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Happy Hippo posted:

Retarded ones maybe, not girls as intelligent as Hawkeye is portrayed.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Retarded ones maybe, not girls as intelligent as Hawkeye is portrayed.

Why are you so fired up over a little harmless teenage slang? This is 2011, the internet is becoming pervasive, you should expect a little code switching as people spend more of their lives online.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Dude. Using abbreviations in real life means you are a piece of garbage. I mean your argument makes sense if it's "well yea horrible people are gonna say stupid things in real life because the internet is so big" but not if it's "the internet is so big that it's okay for horrible people to say stupid things". Teenagers who say internet abbreviations in real life suck and i hope they die.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Folks gettin' mad about kids on their lawn itt.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

fritz posted:

Why are you so fired up over a little harmless teenage slang? This is 2011, the internet is becoming pervasive, you should expect a little code switching as people spend more of their lives online.

It just shows how Bendis is falling out of touch. Sure his slang was pretty good back when USM started but now he's going down the same road every other old man writer has walked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!

Rhyno posted:

It just shows how Bendis is falling out of touch. Sure his slang was pretty good back when USM started but now he's going down the same road every other old man writer has walked.

Uh, not really. He had a term teenagers use come out of the mouth of a teenager. The argument that she wouldn't have said it might hold some weight, but saying that no teenager would say that is just not true.