Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Ok, that desk looks pretty awesome. Where did you get that?

I have a horridly bad back (26 and I've had surgery on it once, still in pain) . Through my works life and disability insurance (which apparently all you need is to have seen a doctor about it), I got an ergonomics evaluation from harris worksystems, got a new chair, trackball, and that desk / monitor arm setup. I wont be in the office for a couple weeks, but I can try to remember and check on the brand when I do.

Alternatively, you could Google the geekdesk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeventySeven
Jan 18, 2005
I AM A FAGGOT WHO BEGGED EXTREMITY TO CREATE AM ACCOUNT FOR ME. PLEASE PELT ME WITH ASSORTED GOODS.

Defghanistan posted:

Seattle aint too bad

Sup Pacific Northwest buddy (Vancouver here).

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Pertplus posted:

Sorry if this is off topic but I was going to buy an Ikea desk and it is not in stock at my local Ikea (according to the website) and "the expected delivery date is unavailable". Does anyone know if I can ask to have it shipped to Ikea to avoid the $120 shipping charge if I buy it online?

No you can't. They're really, really stingy about that.

Also, "unavailable" on the delivery date usually either means it's discontinued or they're switching suppliers.

(worked for the local ikea.. very briefly anyway, the store I was at treats their employees like poo poo)

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006
I am jealous of all you Seattle bastards with a view from inside, I have to leave the house for that crap.

illamint
Jun 26, 2005

According to The Oxford English Dictionary, the word "snapshot" was originally a hunting term.
Redid my cabling, re-positioned some stuff, cleaned the desktop:

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

illamint posted:

I'm guessing there's no way you got the mouse and keyboard to reach that far without USB extension cables.

illamint
Jun 26, 2005

According to The Oxford English Dictionary, the word "snapshot" was originally a hunting term.

Zorilla posted:

I'm guessing there's no way you got the mouse and keyboard to reach that far without USB extension cables.
The monitors have USB hubs built-in, thankfully.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Defghanistan posted:

Seattle aint too bad

Hello fellow Washington goon! Beautiful view :)

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

illamint posted:

That looks quite like what I need... would you mind posting the dimensions? (If it's a known Ikea desk I apologize in advance, we don't have Ikea here so I'm clueless).

Thanks!

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Edmond Dantes posted:

That looks quite like what I need... would you mind posting the dimensions? (If it's a known Ikea desk I apologize in advance, we don't have Ikea here so I'm clueless).

Thanks!

That would be this desk. Galants are pretty common and well-liked in the SH/SC desktop thread, and they come in a ton of different configurations.

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled

illamint posted:

Your keyboard is dope. I hope to put one of those on my black, L-shaped Galant as well soon.

Could you get a picture under the desk looking up? I'm curious to see how you did your power. I just have my power strip laying in the cable tray. :( It looks like you did something much fancier.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Anal Volcano posted:

That would be this desk. Galants are pretty common and well-liked in the SH/SC desktop thread, and they come in a ton of different configurations.

Hooooooly crap, that's quite bigger than I imagined from the pictures. No wonder it looked cozy. :(

illamint
Jun 26, 2005

glompix posted:

Your keyboard is dope. I hope to put one of those on my black, L-shaped Galant as well soon.

Could you get a picture under the desk looking up? I'm curious to see how you did your power. I just have my power strip laying in the cable tray. :( It looks like you did something much fancier.
Yeah, Filco supremacy. Anyways, most power strips have mounting holes on the back so you can snap it onto some screws; I just marked the holes with a pencil and drilled some short wood screws into the desk then mounted the power strips:

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Even easier, I just zip tied mine to the bottom of the signum cable guide.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

My new workstation! I got a 5 year old Ikea Galant off Craigslist for $40. The best part was that I transported it in a EF Honda Civic hatchback. Lets just say it was a cramped car ride back. I wish I had a picture with it inside my car.

I know the extension table is suppose to be on the other side, but it's a left corner desk. Once I move into a house this fall for school, I'll fix the extension.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Turn the desk upside down, problem solved.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

diospadre posted:

Turn the desk upside down, problem solved.

It's particle board, not to mention the screws holes that are under there. (unless you're joking)

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Robolizard! posted:

Even easier, I just zip tied mine to the bottom of the signum cable guide.

:buddy::hf::buddy:
Whattup ziptie buddy!

I tie mine to the metal beam underneath! Kludgy as gently caress, but it works like a charm!

Click here to view the full image

ZombieIsland
Jan 21, 2011

The name is Sherlock Holmes and the address is 221B Baker Street
Well here is my computer area. Since you can't see it, I have a Dell dimension 3000 with windows XP from 5 years ago. It sure does suck not being able to game at all :(
Sorry for the crappy iPhone picture.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

ZombieIsland posted:

Well here is my computer area. Since you can't see it, I have a Dell dimension 3000 with windows XP from 5 years ago. It sure does suck not being able to game at all :(

Try OnLive. They don't have an amazing game selection but if your Internet is all right, you should be able to have at least some fun.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Here is my little setup -- putting up a new picture on the right side to fill the empty space. Grabbing the frame tonight for this!

Guy online did 25 prints of this and has a lot of the other Ninja Turtles characters up soon (altho the prints are sold out he has the images on there). He's finishing up with the four turtles with Leo and Donny done now.

http://daverapoza.blogspot.com/

AgentX
Apr 20, 2002

The desk has warts and all, but it does the job okay. Going to pickup some cases of printer paper and macguyver it into a standing desk soon.

nyoron
Dec 15, 2009
One [purchased] half of my Galant setup. Minimalism at its finest?

nyoron fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Jul 24, 2011

mrk
Jan 14, 2004

what the f/2.8 is going on here!
I'd feel like I was in some kind of solitary confinement with that ^^ !

nyoron
Dec 15, 2009

mrk posted:

I'd feel like I was in some kind of solitary confinement with that ^^ !
well, the rest of the room's an absolute mess. :colbert:

johndoe7776059
Aug 31, 2001

ZombieIsland posted:

Sorry for the crappy iPhone picture.

If you are looking for a really cheap system that can play games, check Dell outlet. A friend of mine just got a scratch and dent Athlon X4 with 6GB of ram, a 500GB HD and Windows 7 64bit for $330 shipped. He tossed in a $60 5670 and has a decent gaming PC. The 5670 isn't a speed demon, but if you are willing to turn down the resolution and graphics settings it should run most modern games at a good FPS. And for console ports like Mass Effect 2 you don't even need to drop the settings.

edit: Wow, I didn't realize how old this post was.

gregday
May 23, 2003

SeventySeven posted:

Sup Pacific Northwest buddy (Vancouver here).

What desk is that? Been looking for something very similar. Looks like the Ikea Mikael, which can't be gotten anywhere anymore.

gregday fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jul 26, 2011

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I can finally post in here.

Just got a new monitor setup at work. Here is how it is looking for now.

dizzywhip
Dec 23, 2005

Moey posted:

I can finally post in here.

Just got a new monitor setup at work. Here is how it is looking for now.

SeventySeven
Jan 18, 2005
I AM A FAGGOT WHO BEGGED EXTREMITY TO CREATE AM ACCOUNT FOR ME. PLEASE PELT ME WITH ASSORTED GOODS.

gregday posted:

What desk is that? Been looking for something very similar. Looks like the Ikea Mikael, which can't be gotten anywhere anymore.

It's actually just http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/10103677 without the extension.

gregday
May 23, 2003

SeventySeven posted:

It's actually just http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/10103677 without the extension.

Oh that's perfect. Thanks!

edit: drat. $129 from Ikea, but I don't live closer than 350 miles to a store, and the shipping cost is $299. No luck on eBay, Craigslist, either.

gregday fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jul 27, 2011

Twink Toilet
May 15, 2004
:D
my home office thing

Twink Toilet fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jul 27, 2011

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Any ideas for better cable management? I have a large amount of peripherals, making it a pain.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jul 27, 2011

Ingraman
Jul 6, 2005
Arrogant bastard

KingEup posted:

I nearly bought this the other day:

Did you see it in person? Just wondered what the white material is (eg. is it cheap/easily scratched wood laminate, or the tougher "kitchen-grade" plastic stuff)? For $2K it better last.

Also, I'm seeing a ton of desk sagging in some of these pictures. A sign that maybe too much weight is put on some of them.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Dominoes posted:

Any ideas for better cable management? I have a large amount of peripherals, making it a pain.

Why does your chair have glitter on it?

AcidRoot
Apr 15, 2010

Super Dude posted:

Why does your chair have glitter on it?

I thought it was dandruff.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Twink Toilet posted:

my home office thing

gently caress that Terminator piece owns. Where did you get it or how did you make it?

Twink Toilet
May 15, 2004
:D

Bucket Joneses posted:

gently caress that Terminator piece owns. Where did you get it or how did you make it?

I made it with about 50 keyboards (give or take), 12 sheets of foam core backing, and a ton of patience.

ZombieIsland
Jan 21, 2011

The name is Sherlock Holmes and the address is 221B Baker Street

johndoe7776059 posted:

If you are looking for a really cheap system that can play games, check Dell outlet. A friend of mine just got a scratch and dent Athlon X4 with 6GB of ram, a 500GB HD and Windows 7 64bit for $330 shipped. He tossed in a $60 5670 and has a decent gaming PC. The 5670 isn't a speed demon, but if you are willing to turn down the resolution and graphics settings it should run most modern games at a good FPS. And for console ports like Mass Effect 2 you don't even need to drop the settings.

edit: Wow, I didn't realize how old this post was.
That's pretty awesome, I'm going to look into it and see what I can find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gregday
May 23, 2003

Well gently caress. I really want an IKEA JONAS desk but I'm not driving to Atlanta (nearest store) to get one and I really don't want to pay $299 in shipping for a $129 desk.

If anyone lives near an IKEA and wants to make a little money helping me out, PM me and we'll talk.