Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mangue
Aug 3, 2007
Did not think I would be posting in this thread for a few more months at least! Anyways, I just took a couple of pregnancy tests, and apparently I am pregnant! Now...I'm not really sure what to think. My husband and I have barely been passively "trying" since May, so pretty much only one month. I am so confused though because four weeks to the DAY after my last menstrual period in May I got what I thought was my period for my month of June. I actually tested that morning and got a negative. The bleeding was unusually light for a period but still significant enough for me to need to use panty-liners for 4 days. I didn't really think much of it because it was my first period off the pill.

Anyway, it was so much more significant than what I thought implantation bleeding would be and thus is confused as to what the heck it was. Anyone have a clue as to why I bled so heavily? Is it common? I also experienced some light cramping with the bleeding. If it was a miscarriage, would my hCG levels still be high enough right now to make a test show positive? It would just be so strange to show a negative on the day that I bled but then show a positive 2 weeks later if I did indeed miscarry...

Calling my OB in the morning but thought I would get some first impressions here first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Winson_Paine posted:

If it makes anyone feel any better, we were sent home from the hospital with a four pack of ready to serve formula, and it is still untouched.

Yea, hospitals usually send home at least a sample of formula. OBs also hand them out, too. Formula company agendas and whatnot :tinfoil:

Mangue
Aug 3, 2007

Mangue posted:

Did not think I would be posting in this thread for a few more months at least! Anyways, I just took a couple of pregnancy tests, and apparently I am pregnant! Now...I'm not really sure what to think. My husband and I have barely been passively "trying" since May, so pretty much only one month. I am so confused though because four weeks to the DAY after my last menstrual period in May I got what I thought was my period for my month of June. I actually tested that morning and got a negative. The bleeding was unusually light for a period but still significant enough for me to need to use panty-liners for 4 days. I didn't really think much of it because it was my first period off the pill.

Anyway, it was so much more significant than what I thought implantation bleeding would be and thus is confused as to what the heck it was. Anyone have a clue as to why I bled so heavily? Is it common? I also experienced some light cramping with the bleeding. If it was a miscarriage, would my hCG levels still be high enough right now to make a test show positive? It would just be so strange to show a negative on the day that I bled but then show a positive 2 weeks later if I did indeed miscarry...

Calling my OB in the morning but thought I would get some first impressions here first.

Quoting my own post above for some context.

So I did end up calling one of the nurse hotlines available at a local hospital. I know I didn't do myself any favors by Googling heavy bleeding in pregnancy but the nurse didn't sound too concerned after asking a million questions and said I should just wait and call the doc in the morning as I was already planning. I'm just so upset with myself because I assumed I had my period so I drank a bit during the last two weeks. I don't have any early pregnancy symptoms either, no sore boobs, no nausea, no bloating, nothing at all significant. I can definitely relate to that "I Didn't Know I Was Pregnant" show.

Seriously, has this happened to anyone else here? How much bleeding is normal in early pregnancy? How much implantation bleeding did you guys have? By the way, I would be about 6 weeks along by now. I feel like such an rear end. I feel like I should have known but I'm not sure how I could have. Still sort of freaking out, I won't be satisfied till I see my OB.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
I didn't have implantation bleeding, but randomly at 11 weeks I got some bleeding. What the doctor told me was that if it wasn't enough blood to soak a pad, it was probably nothing more than some cervical irritation-- the cervix is a lot more easily irritated during pregnancy. It was nowhere near that much for me, so I relaxed a bit. That said, I would get in to see an OB soon, because they can verify everything is good and maybe even do a dating ultrasound for you.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.

bamzilla posted:

Yea, hospitals usually send home at least a sample of formula. OBs also hand them out, too. Formula company agendas and whatnot :tinfoil:

The nurse seemed BAFFLED when we said we didn't want it. Although it came in a really nice cooler with a fitted freezer pack, so we kept that.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

TRIP REPORT: Ten weeks of cloth diapering w/ prefolds

Thought this might be helpful to folks on the fence. We got a prefold package off the internet ($180 for a toilet sprayer, 36 small diapers, 24 medium, 4 medium covers, 4 small covers, hemp doublers, and a few other odd bits I forget.) We bought a pack of snappys, but that was the only other expense. No service, just me and the missus and our washer/dryer.

So far, so good. We have used them almost exclusively (we went through the pampers they sent with us from the hospital because the cloth diapers were a little hostile to her belly button) and we have a case of disposables a friend gave us (her girl grew out of them) we haven't touched. No blowouts so far, and for all the warnings of hassle I got going into this we haven't had any trouble. We started with the newspaper fold, but have moved to the bikini twist which is both easier to pull off in a nice snug form IMHO and works better for her too, the lump of cloth at the front of the fold seemed to bug her a lot. Our kid is a king hell pisser, so the doublers have come into play. These things can absorb a phenominal amount of liquid, it is crazy. No rash at all beyond the odd redness. We're using a lanolin ointment on her, which has also worked fine so far. In lieu of wipes we have little washcloth dealies (also inherited from a friend) and a pump thermos that keeps the water warm.

Washing is not bad. From the changing table, they go in a bucket. From the bucket they head to the bathroom, where the sprayer rinses them off, then they go into the waiting bucket. Washing is done once a day with Charlie's Laundry Soap, which is GREAT. In deference to our electric bill I have put up a clothesline in our utility room, but otherwise things are pretty basic. Get up in the morning, dump diapers into washer, hang them up.

I have to say, it is a little work but it is worth it. It is cheap as chips, and we have all the stuff for our next kid already, and assuming she does not get HUGE we have all the diapers we will need for the duration. Also no blowouts, at all, ever. She has soaked through overnight diapers on rare occasions (she is a REALLY good pisser, she is) but even that is little worse than damp around the bottom.

Anyhoo I thought this might be helpful, since this thread is for people goin' into it. If I had it to do again, I would have put the clothesline up sooner but that is about it. I will say we are doing this more to limit costs than to be green, but the side effect is our greenness seems to wow people, so that is funny too.

Pata Pata Pata Pon
Jun 20, 2007

I'm almost 18 weeks along and both wrists have been KILLING me for the last week. At first I thought I was just sleeping in a weird position since just one wrist initially hurt, but now they're both really sore--more when I move them--from the top of my wrist to about halfway to my elbow. I remember briefly seeing a section on "Pregnancy Carpel Tunnel Syndrome" in a library book, but I flipped past it since "Yeah yeah, doesn't sound like that'll happen to me!" :downs: Since I've sworn off Googling symptoms for a while due to the whole "EVERY SYMPTOM MEANS YOU ARE DYING RIGHT THIS MINUTE!" typical search results, can anyone else give me more info? I don't have another prenatal appointment until August, but if the pain gets worse I'll definitely contact my OB.

^Winson--Thanks for the cloth diaper report. I would like to cloth diaper and it's always great hearing about other new parent's experiences!

McStabby
Jun 26, 2007

LANA!!! CRUUUUUSH!
I've never heard of it happening with wrists, but during pregnancy, your tendons and ligaments loosen so you're more prone to get joint pain. Do you work somewhere that is more likely to have repetitive motion injuries?

dishonesty
Sep 11, 2001

There's no place like home.

Winson_Paine posted:

$180 for a toilet sprayer, 36 small diapers, 24 medium, 4 medium covers, 4 small covers, hemp doublers, and a few other odd bits I forget.

$180 for all that? May I ask where you got them from?

That was a really helpful post, so thanks :)

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful

Banana Cat posted:

I'm almost 18 weeks along and both wrists have been KILLING me for the last week. At first I thought I was just sleeping in a weird position since just one wrist initially hurt, but now they're both really sore--more when I move them--from the top of my wrist to about halfway to my elbow. I remember briefly seeing a section on "Pregnancy Carpel Tunnel Syndrome" in a library book, but I flipped past it since "Yeah yeah, doesn't sound like that'll happen to me!" :downs: Since I've sworn off Googling symptoms for a while due to the whole "EVERY SYMPTOM MEANS YOU ARE DYING RIGHT THIS MINUTE!" typical search results, can anyone else give me more info? I don't have another prenatal appointment until August, but if the pain gets worse I'll definitely contact my OB.

^Winson--Thanks for the cloth diaper report. I would like to cloth diaper and it's always great hearing about other new parent's experiences!

I read up a little on this because my hands were going numb at night, which I guess is another symptom of the same thing. It's supposed to be because of pregnancy swelling pressing on the nerves. Sleeping with wrist braces is supposed to help. My book said to ask the doctor what type to use, but I just used whatever one was lying around the house, and that was fine.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
Awesome post, Winson_Paine! I just wanted to let you know one thing (you may know this already, but just in case)-- breastmilk poop is pretty water soluble, so you don't really need to spray it off. And since you're doing laundry every day, there shouldn't be too terribly much staining. Just thought I'd pass that on!

Chicken McNobody
Aug 7, 2009

dishonesty posted:

Seconding this...my husband is having heart attacks looking at the prices of the cloth diaper packages I've found.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

dishonesty posted:

http://www.clothdiaper.com/PRODUCTS/Basic-Prefold-Diaper-Package

We went unbleached prefold w/ Froggy bummies and the shower option, which looks to be $179 and change. I guess we ordered the doublers separately or someone gave us some. They shipped the next day, these guys were aces.

Doublers are here, these are the ones we ended up getting.

Fire In The Disco posted:

Awesome post, Winson_Paine! I just wanted to let you know one thing (you may know this already, but just in case)-- breastmilk poop is pretty water soluble, so you don't really need to spray it off. And since you're doing laundry every day, there shouldn't be too terribly much staining. Just thought I'd pass that on!

I know that in my HEAD, but the prospect of throwing work clothes or whatever into the next load after doing a load of diapers squigs me out regardless. That and spraying down the diapers (even just the wet ones) cuts out what little odor there is, or seems to help with it.

Winson_Paine fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jun 24, 2011

Pata Pata Pata Pon
Jun 20, 2007

McStabby posted:

Do you work somewhere that is more likely to have repetitive motion injuries?

Not at all. That was the first thing I thought of, but I don't even use the computer as much as I used to, so it's not from typing or anything.

Ben Davis posted:

I read up a little on this because my hands were going numb at night, which I guess is another symptom of the same thing. It's supposed to be because of pregnancy swelling pressing on the nerves. Sleeping with wrist braces is supposed to help. My book said to ask the doctor what type to use, but I just used whatever one was lying around the house, and that was fine.

I just threw away an old wrist brace a couple of months ago because "My wrists haven't hurt in years, I won't need this again!" I guess I'll pick one up the next time I'm at Rite-Aid or Bartell's and see if that helps. Thanks!

The Young Marge
Jul 19, 2006

but no one can talk to a horse, of course.
Winson_Paine, thanks so much for the cloth diaper trip report and links! It's great to hear about your good experience (and looks like you found an awesome deal).

Question - did/does anyone use any white noise to help soothe your newborn? I read something about recordings of "womb sounds" and it piqued my interest (I'm also reading The Happiest Baby on the Block, but haven't reached the section about sound yet). I've heard of people running vacuum cleaners or hair dryers, too. Just wondering about this, particularly what sounds seem to help the most.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful
When I watched my niece, I just went SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH for a few minutes to calm her down, and it did work just like the book said.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007

The Young Marge posted:

Winson_Paine, thanks so much for the cloth diaper trip report and links! It's great to hear about your good experience (and looks like you found an awesome deal).

Question - did/does anyone use any white noise to help soothe your newborn? I read something about recordings of "womb sounds" and it piqued my interest (I'm also reading The Happiest Baby on the Block, but haven't reached the section about sound yet). I've heard of people running vacuum cleaners or hair dryers, too. Just wondering about this, particularly what sounds seem to help the most.

We have used a Cloud B Sleep Sheep since birth and love it! It has 4 sounds (we use the rain one the most) and shuts off after 45 minutes.

brambling lass
Feb 19, 2005

A clock isn't time; it's just numbers and springs. Pay it no mind.

We have used a Cloud B Sleep Sheep since birth and love it! It has 4 sounds (we use the rain one the most) and shuts off after 45 minutes.

We have this and LOVE it as well (completely saved my sanity on our recent road trip too!). My parents also got us a HoMedics SoundSpa Lullaby Sound Machine with Picture Projection and we use it a lot at home. The projection is neat, but I really like that it has several sounds and lullabies with a timer you can set for 15/30/45/60 minutes, or leave un-set to play all night.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

The Young Marge posted:

I downloaded the sound file from rainymood.com and put it on a mp3-player with an external speaker. It really helped my baby sleep. We used it until he was maybe 6 months old. :)

The formula thing - while I can see it being tempting to give formula when things are rough, I can also see it being a stress decreaser. Like, if you know your baby won't go hungry then it might make you less stressed about the breastfeeding, even if you end up not needing it. I think you do need to know the basic facts about breastfeeding in any case, so you know what is normal and don't use formula when it's not neccessary! :)

Also, I know I've said it before in this thread but to me living in Norway the fact that hospitals actually hand out free samples of formula is so alien - advertising formula is actually FORBIDDEN here :O

Missa
Dec 10, 2006
Your stupidity frightens me, but then again, I hit myself in the face with a wiimote once.

bamzilla posted:

I'm getting formula in the mail. :tinfoil: Over two months after birth.

Just a reminder tip, to be completely successful in breastfeeding, do not use a bottle at first. Yes, you will be exhausted from having a baby, but you and the baby are learning how to nurse, and nursing from a bottle and breast are really different. Bottles are easier, so baby won't be able to get milk from a breast if he or she got the easy bottle first.

To be on the safe side, I declined the nursery, and told nurses in my birth plan no bottles. I've known a few people who have woken up to a nurse giving their babies a bottle, and that can make breastfeeding so much harder. :(

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

The Young Marge posted:

Constantly. It is MAGIC. Both mom and I have put a white noise app on our phones; this is invaluble. Gonna take a long car ride and she's fussy? Toss it in the carrier. Same deal with the swing. Late night psychotic break? Turning the thing on is a lot easier than going SHHHHHH constantly. We love the white noise, and HBOTB is dead on about it.

Janelle
Apr 5, 2004
Anyone experience mastitis? Last night while shivering with a fever that went up to 102, I called my ob's office the dr who was on-call was kind enough to call in an antibiotic. I am taking it, and the fever did break, but the breast is still very sore and red. I am taking the pain meds that my ob gave me when I checked out of the hospital to help with feeding. Him on that one side, especially when he is hugging the breast and not swaddled, is excruciating. Thanks in advance.

MarshallX
Apr 13, 2004

Holy crap! Grayson still uses his too! He is a fan of the Whales :)

Also..holy crap he is 3 months old today...I guess I'm out of here?

Day 1:

Day 90:

He's still in the 99.5% for height (has been since day 1) so I'm thinking he's going to be tall. He's already wearing 6 month old clothes :(

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
Hehehe, when I hear the whale sound over the monitor I know Cecilia is awake-- she always turns that one on when she gets up from nap.

Kubricize
Apr 29, 2010
We have the Sleep Sheep. It is a godsend. She's had since she was a month old, and like the Stream and rain functions. The whales however are some demon spawn whispering evil things to her or some poo poo because if they get turned on she flips her poo poo. She's also not too happy about the Ocean waves one, but she also doesn't like crashing waves at the beach either when we go so I dunno.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Kubricize posted:

We have the Sleep Sheep. It is a godsend. She's had since she was a month old, and like the Stream and rain functions. The whales however are some demon spawn whispering evil things to her or some poo poo because if they get turned on she flips her poo poo. She's also not too happy about the Ocean waves one, but she also doesn't like crashing waves at the beach either when we go so I dunno.

The whales disturb the hell out of me too, we haven't tried her on them. She likes the rain and waves.

^@Marshal, he is adorable! Love his fuzzy head.

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

Hey I was thinking about making a thread in Ask/Tell titled "Tell me about being/using a Doula." I'm a little concerned that the topic is too oddly specific for it's own thread (any mods are welcome to disagree and assuage me of my fears). I'm not expecting, but I didn't see anything in the rules that said you had to be a parent to post. It just told me not to creepily identify with the mommies and daddies here, which is frankly weird to me so I'll avoid that.

I'm really interested in becoming a nurse midwife, but I'm not sure whether or not I want to take that step right away after I graduate. Right now, I'm interested in becoming certified as a Doula and doing that until I feel the need to progress towards nursing school. I wanted to know if anyone here had used one during their labor. Or if anyone had family who was a Doula or were a Doula themselves.

If this is too much of a derail I'm really sorry and I will completely delete this post. If a mod tells me this is better suited in it's own thread, I will also gladly move it and apologize for the inconvenience.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

JibbaJabberwocky posted:

Hey I was thinking about making a thread in Ask/Tell titled "Tell me about being/using a Doula." I'm a little concerned that the topic is too oddly specific for it's own thread (any mods are welcome to disagree and assuage me of my fears). I'm not expecting, but I didn't see anything in the rules that said you had to be a parent to post. It just told me not to creepily identify with the mommies and daddies here, which is frankly weird to me so I'll avoid that.

I'm really interested in becoming a nurse midwife, but I'm not sure whether or not I want to take that step right away after I graduate. Right now, I'm interested in becoming certified as a Doula and doing that until I feel the need to progress towards nursing school. I wanted to know if anyone here had used one during their labor. Or if anyone had family who was a Doula or were a Doula themselves.

Our hospital had a volunteer doula program, and we had one for most of the labor. She was really a godsend; it was a long labor and she was there for almost all of it (the volunteer shifts required her to be elsewhere). It was me, the missus, and her sister plus the volunteer doula (they work towards certification via volunteer deals). She was really nice to help coach the missus around (we had taken a Bradley course but in the heat of the moment someone who wasn't me suggesting things was nice) and to be there when I couldn't (she was having really bad back pain that I was counterpressuring with basically all my body weight which sort of took me out of other support functions) and was there when I sort of lost it on her about halfway through. So big thumbs up to the doula from our end of things, she was aces.

We also used a midwife, or rather a midwife program, and were in love with them as well but that is probably another thing. When the deal finally went down I think we had three midwives, two OBs, and four nurses in addition to me and her sister. It was a hell of a party.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Janelle posted:

Anyone experience mastitis?

"Heat, (massage), rest, empty breast."
Do you have anyone who can squeeze it out for you? When I had it, Bug didn't like to nurse in the problem area because it was hard work to get the milk out. The nurses/LC at the hospital went at it for half an hour and unplugged the duct.
They also recommended nursing in a different position. I had to stop doing across-the-chest with Bug and change to the armpit "football" hold exclusively.
And of course, squeezing it out in a hot bath/shower.

We're practicing the sitting position now and I'm paranoid that it might not drain well enough and mastitis will come back ;; But we gotta get this down well for when she goes on an airplane for 11 hours!

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

I have a friend who is about 8 months pregnant with her first child. Her and her husband are very intent on doing things naturally, which I find great. My only concern is that they are planning a home birth. I know some (lots of?) people here have had home births, and I have nothing against them. My reason for concern here is that this is her first child and no one really knows what the delivery will be like being that she hasn't been through one before. I'm not going to try to talk her into or out of any decision, but is there any advice or anything I can offer them to make sure both mom and baby are healthy?

McStabby
Jun 26, 2007

LANA!!! CRUUUUUSH!
I know based off of posts from people who did home births that midwives won't attempt a home birth if there is a risk to the mother or child. Even if the pregnancy is low-risk, they're trained to call for an ambulance as soon as something pops up during labor that could be dangerous. As long as she's been going to her appointments, has spoken to her insurance to make sure they cover a home birth, and has gone over her birth plan with the midwife, she should be fine.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Man, I dunno. Dial 9-1 and then hold your finger over the 1 I guess. I dunno, I like the idea of home delivery and I know most of the rest of the world does it, but Ellie got stuck on her way out and needed a hand (not a c-sec, just a lot of work) and if we would have been at home that could have gotten ugly. I fret, and I was glad the hospital was there because I am a fretter. I guess I would try to get them to make sure their midwife was really experienced at doin' what she does.

In other news, as of today someone has a new trick she can do!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Kubricize
Apr 29, 2010

sheri posted:

I have a friend who is about 8 months pregnant with her first child. Her and her husband are very intent on doing things naturally, which I find great. My only concern is that they are planning a home birth. I know some (lots of?) people here have had home births, and I have nothing against them. My reason for concern here is that this is her first child and no one really knows what the delivery will be like being that she hasn't been through one before. I'm not going to try to talk her into or out of any decision, but is there any advice or anything I can offer them to make sure both mom and baby are healthy?

I had my daughter at home, and she was my first. As long as your friend is low risk, there is nothing to be worried about. If you are really that worried about, you could have her ask her midwife in what situations she transfers, what her transfer rates are like, if she has experience with shoulder dystosia, and has she given an episiotemy before.

Also tell her to have hot showers during labour, just getting into the tub and having my man apply counter pressure to my lower back was one of the most relaxing, pain relieving thing in the world. Also put a bag of grapes in the freezer to much on, the sugar will help and it's better than just the water and poo poo they allow you at the hospital.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007

Winson_Paine posted:

Man, I dunno. Dial 9-1 and then hold your finger over the 1 I guess. I dunno, I like the idea of home delivery and I know most of the rest of the world does it, but Ellie got stuck on her way out and needed a hand (not a c-sec, just a lot of work) and if we would have been at home that could have gotten ugly. I fret, and I was glad the hospital was there because I am a fretter. I guess I would try to get them to make sure their midwife was really experienced at doin' what she does.

In other news, as of today someone has a new trick she can do!

A midwife would know how to help Ellie come out just like an OB would. Just like an OB, her main job is to deliver babies. Some midwives do gynecological work as well, but their main focus is on prenatal care, labor and delivery assistance, and post-natal care for newborns.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

A midwife would know how to help Ellie come out just like an OB would. Just like an OB, her main job is to deliver babies. Some midwives do gynecological work as well, but their main focus is on prenatal care, labor and delivery assistance, and post-natal care for newborns.

No, this was in the actual delivery room where the CNM called in the OB when there was an issue. In this case her circumstances were such they deferred to the OB (and later the head of the floor) to get her out. The hospital we went to has a good relationship between the CNM/OB teams, and like the head CNM said "this is what we have these things for." The CNM handled all the prenatal care and the postnatal on mom, we were both really happy with them.

EDIT: We had been hoping for the all natural, drug free childbirth but it was not in the cards for a number of reasons.

Winson_Paine fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jun 26, 2011

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
That is awesome. It would be great if more hospitals had better working relationships with midwives.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

That is awesome. It would be great if more hospitals had better working relationships with midwives.

Apparently their CNM program has been there a couple decades, so they have rubbed off on the OB floor, more or less. I had read stories of OBs getting territorial but was nothing but impressed. At one point the midwives suggested a consult with an OB, and it was as simple as walking the papers over. The more hilarious bit was at the end when the bills rolled in, and that one consult cost our insurance as much as nine months of CNM care. Ten months, I guess, since they did the followup visits too.

Bright Lights On
Aug 26, 2005

The Fattest Bridesmaid of them All
Well I might be one of you now.

Period is 1 week late and two HPTs say positive. I am 5 weeks out from the first day of my last period, and I'm guessing about 3 from conception.

I'm sort of in shock. My boyfriend (I'm nearly 24, he's 26) and I were talking about a wedding in fall of 2012 and discussing rings and the like. Babies were "planned" for 2013 or later.

My emotions are ridiculous right now. I have endometriosis and was told conceiving would be hard for me. I accepted that. So even though we weren't planning on this, I'm happy that my body is able to get pregnant. But I'm so scared about the money issues and the changes coming our way.

I'm a big ball of tears and excitement. My boyfriend is completely freaked out, and I even caught him crying a bit after I told him. I think he's scared about providing for a kid.

I'll be making an appointment with my OB this week or next to confirm. Any advice or stories from people who were in a similar situation would be greatly appreciated.

Now the search for knowledge begins! :eng101:

FretforyourLatte
Sep 16, 2010

Put you in my oven!
Try to relax. It will be OK! If everyone actually sat down and crunched the numbers of how much it costs to raise a child and tried to wait until they could afford it, no one would ever have kids. When you have them, they just fit right in and you manage somehow. We were pretty poor when my daughter was born, I don't really know how we did it sometimes but you just make sacrifices, do whatever you have to do, and somehow it just works, because it has to. As long as both of you are willing to do whatever's necessary for your family, everything will be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bright Lights On
Aug 26, 2005

The Fattest Bridesmaid of them All

FretforyourLatte posted:

Try to relax. It will be OK! If everyone actually sat down and crunched the numbers of how much it costs to raise a child and tried to wait until they could afford it, no one would ever have kids. When you have them, they just fit right in and you manage somehow. We were pretty poor when my daughter was born, I don't really know how we did it sometimes but you just make sacrifices, do whatever you have to do, and somehow it just works, because it has to. As long as both of you are willing to do whatever's necessary for your family, everything will be fine.

That single statement really helped put my situation in perspective with the billions of other pregnancies that happen all the time. Who is ever completely ready?

For now, I can't do anything so I'm cleaning the house. It just seems like I should.