Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rubber Biscuit
Jan 21, 2007

Yeah, I was in the shit.
Grateful Dead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Rubber Biscuit posted:

Grateful Dead?

It's been mentioned before, but the Dead were notoriously known for their absolutely jammy live shows. If you want to dive right into that, you might try Europe '72. If a studio LP is your game, American Beauty or the Skeletons from the Closet compilation offer decent starting points. I am by no means a Dead Head, so I suppose someone that has a better pair of Birkenstocks and maybe smells like patchouli can offer some advice.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT

DEAR RICHARD posted:

Blackwater Park is the most accessible. Work your way in both directions from there.

Favorites: Morningrise, My Arms Your Hearse, and Still Life

Just be ready for an amazing journey.

Thanks for this. I just picked up Blackwater Park and it pretty much blew me away.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
After being a big fan of funky post-punk/new wave bands like Gang Of Four, Au Pairs, Talking Heads, Josef K, and The Pop Group for a couple of years, I would like to get into the kind of funk that influenced these bands. Anyone have recommendations? The only funk albums I've listened to are Mothership Connection and Maggot Brain, and I liked them both.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

X-Ray Pecs posted:

After being a big fan of funky post-punk/new wave bands like Gang Of Four, Au Pairs, Talking Heads, Josef K, and The Pop Group for a couple of years, I would like to get into the kind of funk that influenced these bands. Anyone have recommendations? The only funk albums I've listened to are Mothership Connection and Maggot Brain, and I liked them both.

If you're interested in funky afro-beat music, which was a HUGE influence on Talking Heads during their Remain in Light era, you gotta check out Fela Kuti.

He has a pretty big catalog. Zombie is his most well known, and one of his best. I personally love Gentleman.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ykpwr8K3M4

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Try The Brothers Johnson. One of their guitarists, Alex Weir, is the awesome sweaty guy in Stop Making Sense.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ug4bV013KEk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-ipH9Ws-zs&feature=related

BeigeJacket fucked around with this message at 11:21 on May 4, 2011

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
I'm working on a mix of New York City based artist and want to include Patti Smith, but where do I start?

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

screenwritersblues posted:

I'm working on a mix of New York City based artist and want to include Patti Smith, but where do I start?

You start with Horses, then you play Horses some more. Then you play Easter for a day, before putting Horses back on.

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore.

Wyatt posted:

You start with Horses, then you play Horses some more. Then you play Easter for a day, before putting Horses back on.

There's much truth in this. But I would expand it and say the first four albums are essential, which means you should also check out Radio Ethiopia and Wave after your last round of Horses.

That Guy From Pearldiver
Apr 18, 2001

President and Sole Member of the Andre Braugher Appreciation Society

a kitten posted:

What's a good place to start with Husker Du and/or Bob Mould? I think I've liked everything I've heard by them over the years but, for whatever reason I never followed through and started buying albums. Maybe now's the time to fix that.

With Bob Mould there's really 3 eras to take into account.

Husker Du
Sugar
Solo albums.

There is "some" overlap between the three sonic wise, but he has a fairly diverse catalog to choose from.

With Husker Du it depends on you are looking for. If you can find it I HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend finding the live CD The Living End. It covers the bands history very nicely and you would be able to zero on particular things you like. If you can't find it. Then Zen Arcade, New Day Rising and Flip Your Wig are your best bets. If you want Harder/Faster/Punk check out Everything Falls Apart, Land Speed Record and Metal Circus. Or the later more singer/songwriter poppy stuff on Candy Apple Grey and Warehouse: Songs and Stories

With Sugar. You cannot fail with Copper Blue and Beaster. I highly recommend the Besides compilation as well. File Under Easy Listening is also good, but I wouldn't call it essential as most of the high points are on the aforementioned Besides comp in one form or another.

Solo Work. Oi. I'll just go in order. Because Bob's solo stuff is all over the place.

Workbook: Singer/songwriter acoustic matieral. This album was very much a reaction to Husker Du ending and him wanting to write differently. Excellent. Highly Recommended
Black Sheets of Rain: A electric response to Workbook. Pretty much a Proto-Sugar album. Very dark both in sound and subject matter. Also Highly Recommended.
Self Titled: Very much a post-Sugar CD. You can tell he was washing his hands of the type of songwriting he did with Sugar and was attempting to move on. Stiff sounding because of the elementary drum machine he used. Some gems but not essential.
Last Dog and Pony Show Great but underrated CD. Very much a record in line with his other solo CDs up to that point as well as giving clues as to what would come later. Highly Recommended.
Modulate: Bob's "Electronic Inspired" album. This is probably the most polarizing and hated album he ever put out. You will probably be hated for speaking of it's existence much less giving it any praise. There are some great songs on here but unless you are already familiar with his previous work it will be a chore to listen too.
Body of Song - District Line - Life and Times: His three most recent albums. All excellent. All recommended.. Great guitar driven indie-pop mixed with workbook-esque acoustic songs.

Misc:
Poison Years: Compilation Virgin put out during Sugar's somewhat successful run in the 90s. Outside of the 5 live tracks taken from the Workbook tour, nothing special.
LiveDog: Live CD recorded during the Last Dog and Pony Show tour. Amazing. Like Husker Du's The Living End it gives a a decent overview of Bob's solo career to that point. With a Sugar song as a encore to boot. Highly Highly Recommended.
Live At ATP 2008: As the title suggests. Bob's set from the All Tomorrows Parties festival in 2008. Weird mix of Sugar, Husker Du and Solo Material. Decent, but kinda meh imho.
Circle of Friends DVD: Awesome awesome show recorded at the First Avenue in Minneapolis during the Body of Song tour with the best backup band ever. Highly Highly Recommended.

Sorry for the wall of text. I'm something of a Bob Mould fan. :D

edit: typo.

That Guy From Pearldiver fucked around with this message at 22:09 on May 27, 2011

Wilbur Swain
Sep 13, 2007

These are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
/\/\/\well hey there

a kitten posted:

I grabbed Husker Du's New Day Rising and Zen Arcade the other day and I really love them both, so thank you for the suggestions. Going to hit up some record stores on Saturday to see if I can round up a couple Sugar albums too since I do love Mould's voice and used CDs are ridiculously cheap nowadays.

His second solo album was called Black Sheets of Rain, and I've always enjoyed it even though it's dark as hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbQ7-w6JefA

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
I'm a decent Bob Dylan fan, I have stuff like Planet Waves, Blood on the Tracks, a bunch of the bootleg series and a bunch of other albums from him. I want to get more, but have no clue which ones would be considered to be essential. I'm thinking that Blonde on Blonde is one of them, but what else is considered to be essential?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

screenwritersblues posted:

Bob Dylan

Well, as you mentioned, Blonde on Blonde. Also:
The Times They Are A-Changin' and The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan are his two 'yeah, folk music' albums, while
Bringing It All Back Home and Highway 61 Revisited are the two 'yeah, gently caress folk music' albums of his you should really own.
I really like Another Side of Bob Dylan, but that ones a bit more subjective.

Those are the peak of his '60s output. Since you've got Blood On The Tracks, there's a decent case for not bothering with any other albums. That said, Nashville Skyline and John Wesley Harding have their charms (the former being more slapdash than the latter), while Desire also has some very good stuff. I've never been a huge fan of The Basement Tapes, but plenty are, while the best of his recent albums (that I own) is Love And Theft.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Only thing I'd add to that is New Morning, which I think is in the same ballpark as Desire -- take care of the classics first but once you've got those it's well worth checking out. "Day of the Locusts" is among my favorite Dylan songs.

Programmable Soda
Aug 8, 2008
I'm sure it's been asked before, but where do I start with Siouxsie and the Banshees?

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Once Upon A Time, Kaleidoscope and Juju are probably your best bets.

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.
Another set of queries that may be a little common, but I was curious where some of you would think the ideal place to start with Roy Ayers, Al Green and soul music in general. .

I'm just getting into it. I'm sure I've heard all of the hits that everyone else has through some sort of ambient osmosis. I love Funkadelic.

This may sound silly, but I enjoyed a lot of the songs on the Jackie Brown soundtrack.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackie_Brown:_Music_from_the_Miramax_Motion_Picture

Beaucoup Cuckoo fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Jun 25, 2011

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

For years I've had the Oasis song "Half the World Away" in my collection, and it struck me tonight how much I like that song. I don't think I've ever heard another Oasis song. What's a good album to check out, with that song in mind?

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Chinaski posted:

For years I've had the Oasis song "Half the World Away" in my collection, and it struck me tonight how much I like that song. I don't think I've ever heard another Oasis song. What's a good album to check out, with that song in mind?

What's the Story Morning Glory? is a solid starting point for something in the same "era" as that song. "Half the world away" was a theme song for some British tv show according to Wikipedia, and originally a b-side to "Whatever" which was off the first album. I went with What's the Story Morning Glory? since it has some supremely excellent tracks. However, since the A-Side to the song you are enamored with was on their first album, Definitely Maybe that is a quite viable alternative.

If you find yourself immediately in love with the band after those two albums, then move forward in the discography. However, I always felt their quality took a sharp drop after those first two LPs, although they regain some of their power with b-sides and deep album cuts from later releases. The third album Be Here Now might be interesting to you just to hear what a fuckton of coke and a "We Are the Gods of British Music" mentality will do to a record.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Chinaski posted:

I'd actually recommend the B-sides collection 'The Masterplan' if you really like that song. None of their albums really sound too much like that, and although the quality's a bit patchy, it's as solid a B-sides collection as I've ever bought. '(What's The Story) Morning Glory?' would be my next recommedation, though. It's more typical of their overall sound, which could be a good or a bad thing.

Reive
May 21, 2009

Where should I start with KMFDM?
I love Megalomaniac and Drug Against War if that helps.

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

Reive posted:

Their early 90s stuff was their really strong period, so I'd go with Naive, Money, Angst and Nihil (or just Naive and Angst if you want to start small).

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Reive posted:

In addition to the original albums, there's a lot of good stuff on their best-of collection titled Retro.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

ultrafilter posted:

In addition to the original albums, there's a lot of good stuff on their best-of collection titled Retro.

Greatest poo poo is a good compilation too, at least in my opinion. There's plenty of tracks on those two discs from enough points in their history that if there's a chance you'd like any era of KMDFDM at all you will learn which ones. Some people don't like compilation albums, but a band as long-lasting at KMFDM really warrants one.

What about Daft Punk?
I like the Tron Legacy soundtrack if that means anything.

Organic Robot
Dec 26, 2007

Fig 1.
"Blueboy sees a moth."

Hbomberguy posted:

What about Daft Punk?

Discovery. Discovery. Discovery.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT

Hbomberguy posted:

Greatest poo poo is a good compilation too, at least in my opinion. There's plenty of tracks on those two discs from enough points in their history that if there's a chance you'd like any era of KMDFDM at all you will learn which ones. Some people don't like compilation albums, but a band as long-lasting at KMFDM really warrants one.

What about Daft Punk?

I would say that Alive 07 is a perfect introduction to Daft Punk, because it features so many of their songs and is one of the greatest live sets of all time. If you don't want a live album, then definitely go for Discovery.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Dog Faced Hermans? Half Man Half Biscuit? Motorhead? Where do I go with Sun City Girls after Torch Of The Mystics/Horse Cock Phepner/330,003 Crossdressers...

Clovis Sangrail
Feb 18, 2011

dailydares posted:

Where do I go with Sun City Girls after Torch Of The Mystics/Horse Cock Phepner/330,003 Crossdressers...

Grotto of Miracles. As soon as possible!

A Sober Irishman
Sep 13, 2007

"He killed 16 Czechoslovakians. Guy was an interior decorator."

"Really? His house looked like shit."
Where do I start with George Harrison's solo work? I've only heard a couple of his solo songs, i.e When We Was Fab and Got My Mind Set On You and I liked them. I've downloaded Cloud 9 but I haven't listened to it yet. What else should I check out?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

A Sober Irishman posted:

Where do I start with George Harrison's solo work? I've only heard a couple of his solo songs, i.e When We Was Fab and Got My Mind Set On You and I liked them. I've downloaded Cloud 9 but I haven't listened to it yet. What else should I check out?

All Things Must Pass, without a doubt.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

A Sober Irishman posted:

After the above All Things Must Pass recommendation, you might want to transition to the somewhat darker Living In The Material World as a mostly solid followup. Cloud 9 is a bit uneven with some unfortunate 80's flavors that I don't care much for, but there is still some great material there. If you like that, I'd throw in the posthumously produced final album Brainwashed for solid example of his later works.

Jack Bandit
Feb 6, 2005
Shit, I'm a free man and I haven't had a conjugal visit in six months
I've been listening to a lot of A Tribe Called Quest lately and every time Scenario comes on I think that I'd like to listen to some more Busta Rhymes. So should I start with solo stuff, if so which album, or a Leaders of the New School album?

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Get When Disaster Strikes immediately. The mood is a lot dirtier than than Scenario but it's Busta at his creative best IMO and nothing else compares to it.

HateTheInternet
Dec 19, 2004

He just put the kibosh on me, do you know what the kibosh means, it's a kibosh!
How about The Fall for someone who hates compilation albums?

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
I'd get The Wonderful and Frightening World of the Fall (with the bonus tracks), one of their early 80's "peak" albums. The Real New Fall LP is fairly new (from 2003) but I feel it also represents the band well. Even if you hate comps, you might want to make an exception for a band that has released like 30 studio albums and a zillion EPs. I kinda feel like everyone's going to give you a different answer on this.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

HateTheInternet posted:

How about The Fall for someone who hates compilation albums?

The second and third discs of the Peel Sessions box. It's a series of EPs, you shouldn't complain.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
Nickelback?

Okay, not.
How do I Radiohead properly?

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Suicide Watch posted:

Nickelback?
Nope.

Suicide Watch posted:

How do I Radiohead properly?

OK Computer and Kid A are the undisputed classics, start with those and let them grow on you.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

I think the best place to start with Nickelback is maybe a lobotomy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speewah
May 28, 2011
Quick question that someone in here may be able to answer. There is a electronic/dj bloke whos name escapes me, but it was similiar to R2D2. Anybody have any ideas? It's just not coming to me.