Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
I for one would like to know, in the recent Lrrr and Ndnd episode, how was Ndnd watching their current fake broadcasts from Earth when it had been previously established that Omicron Persei 8 receives broadcasts from 1000 years in the past? HUH? where is the long term continuity?!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

Wandle Cax posted:

I for one would like to know, in the recent Lrrr and Ndnd episode, how was Ndnd watching their current fake broadcasts from Earth when it had been previously established that Omicron Persei 8 receives broadcasts from 1000 years in the past? HUH? where is the long term continuity?!?

They got themselves a sub-space TV transmitter when they recognised the superiority of Earth TV programming :colbert:.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The speed of light was sped up in the future.

Doy.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

The speed of light was sped up in the future.

Doy.
This is the answer David X Cohen (I'm sure I spelt his name wrong) gave in a commentary too.

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain
This is the answer Farnsworth himself gave, in A Clone of my Own.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
So, I was watching the episodes with a friend, and he said he didn't quite get why the Benders could only replicate themselves once. I said it was because doing ti twice would have meant doing two things. Then I realized what I said and realized how oddly brilliant that was as a plot device.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Stonefish posted:

This is the answer Farnsworth himself gave, in A Clone of my Own.
Right, but that wasn't about television. Cohen reminded us that the speed of light had been sped up in regards to Omicron Persei 8 getting live TV.

Coleman
May 5, 2011

This just in: Beverly Hills 90210, Cleveland Browns 3.
I would just like to say this thread has become progressively less awesome with a distinct lack of quoting.

As a lover of Futurama (and all things Groening) and a detester of Family Guy (and all things McFarlane), I had no problem at all with the new episodes. I've skimmed through the thread, I've seen a lot of "blah blah non sequitur" "blah blah lazy jokes". I despise Family Guy, I truly do, but it's not like they have a Monopoly on non sequitur jokes. The Simpsons had been doing them before Family Guy was a glint in McFarlanes underimaginative eye. It's just that Family Guy abused the practice to the extent it became associated only with them.

The episodes were fine, I felt they fit into the format of the show and to the characters personalities in a way that wasn't unrealistic for the series. They weren't my favorite episodes, they weren't even my favorite new episodes. But I enjoyed them, and you should've too!

Also.

Nothing is impossible, not as long as you believe in it! That's what being a scientist is all about!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

IUG posted:

This is the answer David X Cohen (I'm sure I spelt his name wrong) gave in a commentary too.

Well, I'm not sure he said 'Doy'.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I hope we get to see more Captain Lance Starman this season.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Wandle Cax posted:

That episode really bothered me because they changed the pronunciation of Ndnd. They say it "inda-inda" instead of "Ininda", the first D is almost silent in the earlier episodes. Unless I'm just deaf. :v:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

No, you're right. It used to be Ndunda and now it's UndaUnda.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

LividLiquid posted:

No, you're right. It used to be Ndunda and now it's UndaUnda.

:stare:

My mother was a saint! :toughguy:

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

LividLiquid posted:

Right, but that wasn't about television. Cohen reminded us that the speed of light had been sped up in regards to Omicron Persei 8 getting live TV.

Ok, but well after that episode when that happened, Lrrr is seen watching Friends, in the later episode about valentine's day. Is it possible he was just watching a tape from his personal library...?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

My guess is the Omicronians can watch either "modern" programming from the year 300X with the sped up signal, or "classic" programming from the year 200X with the old-style transmission.

Or it's just a cartoon about wacky aliens.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Wait, in the first episode Leela said they should form an airline because teleporters wouldn't be invented for another 15 years, but last season we saw the Professor had made a teleporter gun like it was nothing special.

My immersion!

:goonsay:

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I didn't like the first one until the third act. The tired Men vs. Women thing was beyond terrible in Wild Green Yonder and it's beyond terrible here. "Men hate women, and women LOVE shopping!" is not a funny joke and the first half of the episode is pretty much that writ large.

It gets a lot better after the rock alien neuters them. Still kinda goofy, but the main thrust of the episode no longer feels as much like a lazy standup routine at open mic night.

Blarg Blargety
Nov 3, 2004

Children love Totoro
and he loves them.

Gorilla Salad posted:

Also, the equation shown by the professor in the second episode is completely wrong.

God, I feel like such a sperg for noticing that. It is a bit surprising, though, because back when everyone got mind-swapped, one of the writers invented and proved a loving mathematical theorem just for that episode.

Blarg Blargety fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Jun 26, 2011

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Shirley, these things happen in video games. We can't get hung up on real-world morality.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I hope we get to see more Captain Lance Starman this season.

I'm hoping for more "Transcredible Exploits of Zapp Brannigan". :allears:

Execu-speak
Jun 2, 2011

Welcome to the real world hippies!
I liked both episodes, the second was definitely the better of the two though.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Gorilla Salad posted:

Wait, in the first episode Leela said they should form an airline because teleporters wouldn't be invented for another 15 years, but last season we saw the Professor had made a teleporter gun like it was nothing special.

My immersion!

Well that's because last season teleporters were no big thing, but this season...shut up!

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

All ears, all eyes, all the time!
I just re-watched Benderama and laughed really hard at Fry lamenting his hangover by comparing it to having a "head full of Dig-Dugs."

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Well that's because last season teleporters were no big thing, but this season...shut up!

You could just fan-wank it away by saying that was only a local transporter, only moving things a few yards, not inter-stellar.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Or that dude was a liar!

Physical
Sep 26, 2007

by T. Finninho

Sugar Blaster posted:

I just re-watched Benderama and laughed really hard at Fry lamenting his hangover by comparing it to having a "head full of Dig-Dugs."
Barely noticeable, hilariously powerful.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

If teleporters won't be invented for 15 years, why was the Other Rock Guy teleporting all over the place? Also I choose to believe Brannigan shot the Other Rock Guy with a teleporter gun :ohdear:.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
The Other Rock Guy was a magic rock guy, not a teleporter. They're completely different things.

Danzel Glovington
Mar 16, 2006

I'm too old to bury my son!

Borax kid seems to think our rock alien friend is dead.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Speaking of the Borax Kid, I love how Fry just matter-of-factly goes "Hello good sir!" or something when a meteor just popped through the ceiling, snapped the nose off the Planet Express Ship, and disgorged a smooth talking crystal man.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Speaking of the Borax Kid, I love how Fry just matter-of-factly goes "Hello good sir!" or something when a meteor just popped through the ceiling, snapped the nose off the Planet Express Ship, and disgorged a smooth talking crystal man.

Jamaican?!?!? I thought you were some kind of outer space potato man.

TravBot
Oct 10, 2004

If we can hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards Checkmate

SeXReX posted:

Oooooh! A snack table with muffins!

Coleman
May 5, 2011

appropriatemetaphor posted:

If teleporters won't be invented for 15 years, why was the Other Rock Guy teleporting all over the place? Also I choose to believe Brannigan shot the Other Rock Guy with a teleporter gun :ohdear:.

I choose to believe what I was PROGRAMMED to believe!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

SeXReX posted:

I've mentioned it before, but I love that even though Fry knows that he is in the future, knows that there are aliens, knows that aliens live on earth etc.... he still thinks of Morbo as "The TV Monster."

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

Coleman posted:

I choose to believe what I was PROGRAMMED to believe!

Who cares what you're programmed for. If someone programmed you to jump off a bridge would you do it?

Coleman
May 5, 2011

Fishylungs posted:

Who cares what you're programmed for. If someone programmed you to jump off a bridge would you do it?

I'd have to check my programming. ... Yup!

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Coleman posted:

I'd have to check my programming. ... Yup!

It seems you aren't operating with your full mental...uh....mind?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Android Blues posted:

Still kinda goofy, but the main thrust of the episode no longer feels as much like a lazy standup routine at open mic night.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Blarg Blargety posted:

Also, the equation shown by the professor in the second episode is completely wrong.

Oh, dip!

Coleman
May 5, 2011

indigi posted:

Oh, dip!

Cherry... CHERRY! ... Mule, crud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Martytoof posted:

And what's the deal with airline food? They give you two choices but they're always out of one!

...By the way we're out of both choices-

• Locked thread