Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Thermopyle posted:

I'm pretty handy. I'll think about modding my case or building something from scratch...

If you go the building route, make sure to document it with some pictures, I know I would be interested in seeing it all (probably a few others too).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Hey! Quit touching my junk!

I do wish this was documented a little more, so we could see how he was interfacing all of these drives.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
See here.

It looks to be with whatever motley collection of SAS cards (with SAS expanders) he could piece together. I don't see that enormous (probably nVidia) card that was on the motherboard on the right in the last few pictures, so there may have been something else mounted closer to it, or he may have yanked it to add HBAs.

I'm not sure what the second motherboard is for either, other than having a dual GigE NIC. Maybe part of a cluster? Encoding? No idea. But it's not clear why he didn't just daisy chain another power supply to run the drives.

PlasticSpoon
Apr 2, 2004
I have $300 to go towards PC upgrades, I'm thinking of going the route of increasing my storage and using a better RAID setup.

I have 2 1TB WD Green drives in a RAID-0 (yeah, I know) which is completely filled up, and I have a seperate 1TB drive that I just used for my Windows install because I was impatient and bought the drive after setting up my brilliant RAID-0, without really realizing at the time that I couldn't just add it without rebuiling the RAID.

I know the 2TB drives seem to be the sweet spot, but I will likely need a new RAID Controller also, Im using a Silicon Image SiI 3114 SoftRaid 5 Controller now, which im sure is terribly outdated and seems to support only SATA I.

Having 4TB of space would be enough I think, and I would be using my standard ATX case, I don't plan on making a NAS. What should I do with my $300 budget and increased storage needs?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
Why do you need a new RAID controller? Use softraid.

The sweet spot would be wedging as many 2TB drives as you can into your case and RAID5-ing them (though you do run the risk of losing it all when one dies, despite RAID5's nominal safety, drives are awfully big these days).

Failing that, get a 5-in-3 with two 2TB drives, FlexRAID that poo poo, move your files off the RAID0 to the FlexRAID volume, add the 1TB drives to FlexRAID.

Or get a 3-in-2, 3 2TB drives, RAID5.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
Does anybody have a Synology DS211j/Apple Airport Extreme Base station setup and are able to access DDNS from outside the network?

I have the above setup, have a dyndns.org account set up for it, and the DS211j registers with dyndns.org fine. What I'm having trouble with is connecting to it from an external network (like at work).

I followed the guide on the Synology website to open a port using the "Personal website" setting on the AEBS which opens port 80 and pointed it to the DS211j but no luck. I don't really know what else to look for so I'm turning to you guys for help. Anybody have an idea?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Home unit? Many ISPs will block port 80 incoming (as well as FTP and a few other major services) to prevent people from serving business pages on a home connection. According to many ISPs' TOS agreements, running any kind of server is forbidden without the properly-tiered Internet package.

You can verify that dyndns is setup properly by simply pinging your dyndns URL and seeing if it resolves to your home IP.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Factory Factory posted:

Home unit? Many ISPs will block port 80 incoming (as well as FTP and a few other major services) to prevent people from serving business pages on a home connection. According to many ISPs' TOS agreements, running any kind of server is forbidden without the properly-tiered Internet package.

You can verify that dyndns is setup properly by simply pinging your dyndns URL and seeing if it resolves to your home IP.

Yeah, pinging works fine and resolves my IP correctly.

I can't find a straight answer online if Charter blocks port 80 incoming traffic, so that might be it, might not.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I'd be shocked if there's a home ISP that allows port 80, a lot of them blocked it back in the day due to the Code Red virus and never really liked having it open due to people running random webservers.

cre3d
Aug 11, 2004
the one and only
FiOS has 80/21 open :)

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'd be shocked if there's a home ISP that allows port 80, a lot of them blocked it back in the day due to the Code Red virus and never really liked having it open due to people running random webservers.

My ISP has it open, currently hosting two sites. (ISP is Wide Open West)

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

golgo13sf posted:

I can't find a straight answer online if Charter blocks port 80 incoming traffic, so that might be it, might not.

Here's a thought: run a virtual machine on your computer (something simple like Ubuntu, maybe) and disable all of its firewall protection (or create a rule to allow all). Then stick its private IP in your router's DMZ. Then use the VM to run a scan with ShieldsUp!. Since it should acknowledge and allow any connection, the only ports that respond as blocked or stealthed should be the ones your ISP blocks.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

golgo13sf posted:

Charter has port 80 open. I use it just fine.

PlasticSpoon
Apr 2, 2004

evol262 posted:

Failing that, get a 5-in-3 with two 2TB drives, FlexRAID that poo poo, move your files off the RAID0 to the FlexRAID volume, add the 1TB drives to FlexRAID.

Or get a 3-in-2, 3 2TB drives, RAID5.

What is a 5-in-3? Googling FlexRAID, it seems its just a pooled virtual drive, is there any redundancy in that?

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

PlasticSpoon posted:

What is a 5-in-3? Googling FlexRAID, it seems its just a pooled virtual drive, is there any redundancy in that?

http://www.pacstarcomputer.com.au/index.php?productID=2286

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

golgo13sf posted:

Ok, figured it out, I had to open port 5000 as well (thanks Synology for hiding that bit in the documentation).

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

PlasticSpoon posted:

What is a 5-in-3?
It's a device which lets you physically mount five 3.5" drives in three 5.25" bays.

Wonder_Bread
Dec 21, 2006
Fresh Baked Goodness!
I got an Adaptec 5405 I wanted to drop in my whitebox home ESXi server. Problem is that the cards are largely designed for 1U systems or systems with ducted airflow, and my server tower doesn't have any cooling fans in the front.

According to Adaptec, operating temp is 0-55C, measured about 2.5" from the heatsink. The Adaptec Storage Manager measures my card at 60C on the core at idle, which is way too hot for my liking (though apparently considered "normal"). Unfortunately, there isn't really a way to mount a fan directly on the heatsink, or a way to replace the heatsink without voiding the warranty. There are two holes in the board on either side of the heatsink, which I discovered are almost exactly the same distance apart as the mounting holes on a 40mm fan, so I got a fan mounted on that way (apologies in advance for the Blackberry photos, my camera doesn't play nice with Windows 7):

The card:

The hardware (two M3 diameter screws and matching nuts, washers with bonded neoprene insulation, and a 40mm fan):

Fan mounted on the card:

Happy at home:

According to the ASM, this dropped idle temperatures on the core to 40C at idle, which is a huge improvement. Since these are designed for servers I can see why they rely on forced air, but it'd be nice if there was an OEM option or even a better way to mount a heatsink on these things.

Posting this for anyone else that might be in the same situation, as there isn't really much on the internet for solutions except a single thread I found in which someone removed the stock heatsink and put a watercooling block on.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
That's better than the solution I found to cooling the chipset on my GA-H55N-USB3 mini-ITX motherboard, which was to tie a low-profile 40mm fan to the non-standard heatsink with picture mounting wire.

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Factory Factory posted:

That's better than the solution I found to cooling the chipset on my GA-H55N-USB3 mini-ITX motherboard, which was to tie a low-profile 40mm fan to the non-standard heatsink with picture mounting wire.

While we're on the subject of ghetto mounting, I've used twist-ties to affix 2 x 120MM fans to a Thermalright T-Rad2

McRib Sandwich
Aug 4, 2006
I am a McRib Sandwich
It's been awhile since I've checked in on this thread, so I spent the better part of the day catching up on the last 50 or so pages. drat.

I noticed that there was a lot of talk of Nexenta / OpenIndiana / Illumos back around the page 40-50 area, but almost nothing at all recently. Anyone have any modern opinions on the Nexenta Core Platform and/or NexentaStor? I've started playing around with NexentaStor CE in a VM and it looks really great so far, my only misgiving with it is the lack of AFP support out of the box. I don't know if their OS strategy will play out (looking for opinions here), but marrying Ubuntu LTS userland with the OpenSolaris kernel seems like a fairly practical way to go. I have not been following what Oracle's done with the platform -- is any distro based on Solaris (even partially so) going to be viable in more than a couple years? Is FreeBSD + ZFS sufficiently mature now?

On the other side, I know there were also misgivings about the OpenIndiana team getting reliable / timely releases out the door, but that was also the better part of a year ago. Nexenta's gone a different route and the product itself seems pretty polished, but at this point I haven't heard any opinions on the ZFS OS landscape that aren't a year old, and would love to hear how people feel about the way things have played out with Oracle.

If the NexentaStor CE demo works out well, I'm really tempted to set a pair of boxes up. Very curious to hear more about the ZFS landscape before I do this, though. Give me your opinions!

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

McRib Sandwich posted:

It's been awhile since I've checked in on this thread, so I spent the better part of the day catching up on the last 50 or so pages. drat.

I noticed that there was a lot of talk of Nexenta / OpenIndiana / Illumos back around the page 40-50 area, but almost nothing at all recently. Anyone have any modern opinions on the Nexenta Core Platform and/or NexentaStor? I've started playing around with NexentaStor CE in a VM and it looks really great so far, my only misgiving with it is the lack of AFP support out of the box. I don't know if their OS strategy will play out (looking for opinions here), but marrying Ubuntu LTS userland with the OpenSolaris kernel seems like a fairly practical way to go. I have not been following what Oracle's done with the platform -- is any distro based on Solaris (even partially so) going to be viable in more than a couple years? Is FreeBSD + ZFS sufficiently mature now?

On the other side, I know there were also misgivings about the OpenIndiana team getting reliable / timely releases out the door, but that was also the better part of a year ago. Nexenta's gone a different route and the product itself seems pretty polished, but at this point I haven't heard any opinions on the ZFS OS landscape that aren't a year old, and would love to hear how people feel about the way things have played out with Oracle.

If the NexentaStor CE demo works out well, I'm really tempted to set a pair of boxes up. Very curious to hear more about the ZFS landscape before I do this, though. Give me your opinions!

After Oracle gave OpenSolaris the boot, Illumos took the kernel code and OpenIndiana took the distro code, Neither have done much of anything. OpenIndiana released a binary of the b148 code base, meanwhile Oracle released Solaris 11 Express, based on b151.

Nexenta has switched to Illumos, but with no development on that front, it's only a matter of time before Nexenta dies unless it starts pouring money into Illumos (but can it really compete with Oracle or the whole Linux kernel?). Meanwhile ZFS is getting ported to Linux, Oracle isn't smart enough to merge BTRFS and ZFS, and Linux is catching up with Solaris in general. Oracle is jerking the chain of their customers, with no long term roadmap (at least not in the storage arena, and I doubt anywhere else either).

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

So I just remembered I have a HP ProLiant Microserver that has been sitting around since I ordered it, and figure I should actually do something with it. I just want to use it as a file server for all my tv/movies I've ripped from dvds/recorded with media centre, so what would the best option be? I do have a copy of WHSv1 laying around unused and I do like the idea of drive extender, but I've heard a bit about ZFS too and as far as I can tell it has less overhead when it comes to redundancy and recovering from drive failures (also it would take advantage of the ECC ram I can use in the Microserver). How hard is it to learn enough of OpenSolaris to build a functional file server for someone with little *nix experience (my last linux system was Ubuntu about 8 years ago when I was playing Wolfenstein Enemy Territory) and I know its expandable, but do multiple vdevs appear as one large storage pool like Drive Extender does in WHS? Or should I just stick with WHS since I've got it available?

Tornhelm fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Jun 26, 2011

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Tornhelm posted:

So I just remembered I have a HP ProLiant Microserver that has been sitting around since I ordered it, and figure I should actually do something with it. I just want to use it as a file server for all my tv/movies I've ripped from dvds/recorded with media centre, so what would the best option be? I do have a copy of WHSv1 laying around unused and I do like the idea of drive extender, but I've heard a bit about ZFS too and as far as I can tell it has less overhead when it comes to redundancy and recovering from drive failures (also it would take advantage of the ECC ram I can use in the Microserver). How hard is it to learn enough of OpenSolaris to build a functional file server for someone with little *nix experience (my last linux system was Ubuntu about 8 years ago when I was playing Wolfenstein Enemy Territory) and I know its expandable, but do multiple vdevs appear as one large storage pool like Drive Extender does in WHS? Or should I just stick with WHS since I've got it available?

As yet another option, there are WHS-like software utilities that you can run overtop of a normal copy of windows - Drive bender for instance http://www.drivebender.com/drive-bender/

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Tornhelm posted:

Google "zpool".

McRib Sandwich
Aug 4, 2006
I am a McRib Sandwich

FISHMANPET posted:

After Oracle gave OpenSolaris the boot, Illumos took the kernel code and OpenIndiana took the distro code, Neither have done much of anything. OpenIndiana released a binary of the b148 code base, meanwhile Oracle released Solaris 11 Express, based on b151.

Nexenta has switched to Illumos, but with no development on that front, it's only a matter of time before Nexenta dies unless it starts pouring money into Illumos (but can it really compete with Oracle or the whole Linux kernel?). Meanwhile ZFS is getting ported to Linux, Oracle isn't smart enough to merge BTRFS and ZFS, and Linux is catching up with Solaris in general. Oracle is jerking the chain of their customers, with no long term roadmap (at least not in the storage arena, and I doubt anywhere else either).

Well god dammit (and gently caress you, Oracle). No wonder folks have been quiet about it lately. So is there a "preferred" platform for ZFS nerds these days, then, given the huge uncertainty surrounding the Solaris ecosystem? For the most part, Nexenta seems to Just Work™, and it actually looks easy enough to administrate that I wouldn't feel apprehensive handing the box off to the next guy (our volunteer staff rotates frequently). If I knew that I could at least take the raw drives out of a NexentaStor install over to another platform that supported ZFS, that would ease my fears somewhat.

So, to ask an unfair question, is it even worth seriously considering NexentaStor at this point, or are they just going to become Oracle collateral damage within a few months / years? If I dive in anyway and they go under, what are the chances of pulling my ZFS drives out of the NexentaStor box and having them import cleanly to a FreeBSD / Linux distro running ZFS?

Storage :argh:

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Tornhelm posted:

WHSv1 has Drive Extender, but the OS is running off of Win2003 and that is almost 8 years old now and thus a pain to deal with in some respects.

If you want to deal with a raid, get Windows Server 2008 R2, WHS2011, or FreeNAS. Or get WHS2011 if you want Drive Extender Replacements, including Drive Blender.

jeeves fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Jun 26, 2011

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

McRib Sandwich posted:

So, to ask an unfair question, is it even worth seriously considering NexentaStor at this point, or are they just going to become Oracle collateral damage within a few months / years? If I dive in anyway and they go under, what are the chances of pulling my ZFS drives out of the NexentaStor box and having them import cleanly to a FreeBSD / Linux distro running ZFS?

At the very least, the pool should migrate okay. I actually managed to import and convert a BSD-ZFS pool to a Linux ZFS-fuse system with just a "zfs import <tank>".

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

I may as well ask you gents about this, as you're probably going to be more helpful than the MS MVPs who can't read posts.

I have 2 Seagate 1TB HDDs in an external multiplier enclosure, connected via e-Sata to a JMB363x based controller on PCI-E. When I attempt to make any sort of array using these drives via Disk Management, I simply get "failed" instantly.

I can't bring the array online, repair it, nothing. I've already rebooted. The card's drivers are up to date. I've zeroed and chkdsk'd both drives. What the gently caress?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
So this summer, I'm looking to build a nice home server, since my current tactic of having numerous externals dangling off a laptop-turned-server in a faux-RAID1 is starting to have problems as the main drives fill up and I start gaining even more external drives hanging off other machines.

This, of course, means I'm doing quite a bit of research and reading up to get opinions on various things. Ideally, I'm looking to build as quiet/energy-efficient a storage server as possible, although with my intention of having 5 2TB drives in the primary RAID, this probably isn't all that reasonable. Furthermore, I've grown rather fond of Time Machine on my OS X boxes, so an extra 5 drives on top would make this practically untenable. Still, it's a nice goal I'd like to aim for, especially as the server doesn't really need to have the drives spinning the 90% the time I'm not using them.

Software-wise, I've largely settled on FreeBSD hosting ZFS (to run zraid2, which sounds to me to be preferable to RAID6 when the drive size gets up there the way I'm thinking), after hemming and hawing about some of the ZFS host issues discussed in the above posts (Linux performance isn't there yet, and many of the support concerns about Nexenta and OpenIndiana have made me hesitate on either of them). I'm undecided about whether to run straight FreeBSD or Debian-kFreeBSD, but either way seems relatively reasonable (that said, has anyone run Debian-kFreeBSD with ZFS?). Are there other setups I should consider?

So given these facts, I'm now trying to figure out what sort of hardware I need. Obviously, a case and motherboard capable of running five drives just for the primary RAID is a necessity. I would also assume that having an extra drive for the primary OS would also reap major dividends. Given the heat and performance considerations, a small SSD drive (32GB? 64GB?) seems like the way to go as well. I'm also seriously considering getting a BD-R drive to do external backups, since DVD-Rs just can't seem to cut it for size these days (Is there anything I have to keep in mind for Unix compatibility of these drives?). Is this a relatively reasonable setup? What motherboards/cases are usually good for this sort of setup these days?

Similarly, running an on-disk backup like Time Machine (any choice scripts/wrappers for rsync or such to do this?) would mean that I'd probably want to run 50% more space, so either 5 3TB drives, or even more 2TB drives. External would seem to be the way to go here though, due to standard backup practices relating to catastrophic failure (yeah yeah, if my house burns down, I'll lose both, but at least a fried PSU should (ideally) not fry the backups). Any suggestions on the best way to set this up? Or are large external solutions too limited in drive-space to really pull off the scale I'd need for a backup setup? Should I consider a smaller scale?

ungaungaunga
Oct 7, 2005
Sorry for the noobiness. Very new at this. I've been trolling Craigslist to scrounge for parts, and I came across this thing.

Does it look like something worth checking out?

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/van/sys/2463747193.html

Gorfob
Feb 10, 2007

ungaungaunga posted:

Sorry for the noobiness. Very new at this. I've been trolling Craigslist to scrounge for parts, and I came across this thing.

It will chew some serious power. But if you are not averse to swapping the innards out you really can't go wrong with 12 drive bays even if all you keep is the case and drive bays.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

ungaungaunga posted:

For personal use? Probably not. Those three power supplies all need to be plugged in, and they will all draw a lot of power. It uses Ultra 320 SCSI rather than the newer, faster, SATA-compatible Serial-Attached SCSI (SAS), so drives are rare, old, small and slow (despite their high rotational rates).

Maybe the chassis, if your are committed to a big NAS. But those hotswap bays are likely fit with SCSI backplanes that would be difficult to remove, difficult to find replacements for, and a nightmare to make sure it worked precisely right.

ungaungaunga
Oct 7, 2005
Ok, great. Thanks for the opinions.
I think this one will do.

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/van/sys/2456767757.html

Even if I replace the parts, the case is really nice.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

McRib Sandwich posted:

Well god dammit (and gently caress you, Oracle). No wonder folks have been quiet about it lately. So is there a "preferred" platform for ZFS nerds these days, then, given the huge uncertainty surrounding the Solaris ecosystem? For the most part, Nexenta seems to Just Work™, and it actually looks easy enough to administrate that I wouldn't feel apprehensive handing the box off to the next guy (our volunteer staff rotates frequently). If I knew that I could at least take the raw drives out of a NexentaStor install over to another platform that supported ZFS, that would ease my fears somewhat.

Storage :argh:

Nexenta is lucky enough that it's built on Solaris, which is so dirt old that there aren't any huge glaring issues in the kernel, so it's not really a problem to run a 5-10 year old version of Solaris. If OpenIndiana/Illumos aren't going to do much of anything, then Nexenta is stuck with what they've got now.

So all they're loosing is new features. I'm not really sure what's going on with ZFS code. It looks like up to pool version 31 is open source, but what will we all do when Oracle releases Solaris with pool version 32 or higher? There's no guarentee that the code will stay open source, because as far as I know CDDL allows you to take CDDL code and close it up again.

Oracle is such a stupid loving company, they're going to let ZFS die on the vine because they're going to keep it Solaris only. I love Solaris, but it's just an awful OS to use when so much software that is stupid easy on Linux is an enormous pain in the rear end in Solaris.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I just asked this on the ubuntu forums, but I'll try here...

16 TB LVM.
Expanded one of the underlying RAID5 arrays with a 2TB drive.
Expanded the logical volume.
Try to grow the filesystem but get this:

code:
sudo resize2fs /dev/vg_pool/pool
resize2fs 1.41.12 (17-May-2010)
resize2fs: File too large while trying to determine filesystem size
System:
code:
 uname -a
Linux BOSS 2.6.35-28-generic #50-Ubuntu SMP Fri Mar 18 18:42:20 UTC 2011 x86_64 GNU/Linux
How do I expand my filesystem?

Profane Obituary!
May 19, 2009

This Motherfucker is Dead
For what it's worth I went from an old version of Open Solaris and exported the pools, then imported them into FreeBSD 8.X.

You only get zpool version 15 with FreeBSD 8.x and it wasn't really stable in 7.x. FreeBSD 9.x will bring support for zpool v28.

I've had 0 problems with FreeBSD + ZFS (you just have to make sure to enable it in /etc/rc.conf)

dj_pain
Mar 28, 2005

So I am going to leave esxi and go to debian with a gui. I want to leave the server in my office and be able to use it when I need to do work there. It's going to be running two IBM br10i controllers so :D fun times ahead.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Thermopyle posted:

https://ext4.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Ext4_Howto#Bigger_File_System_and_File_Sizes

quote:

The code to create file systems bigger than 16 TiB is, at the time of writing this article, not in any stable release of e2fsprogs. It will be in future releases.
I have no idea how up to date that wiki is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
So I have a friend who's building me a NAS raid box for a nominal fee. I'm not sure what to ask for though. I know I want something that's fairly easy to use/learn. Safe for data, and easy to swap out faulty drives when needed. Am I supposed to use higher end drives or just consumer level drives? I'd like 10-15gb of functional storage to start.

Any suggestions on what to get? Thanks for any help.