Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PeaceFrog
Jul 27, 2004
you'll shoot your eye out.

Splizwarf posted:

Pssh, I hit all my tools with a hammer.

See this here? Specialty tool from Sears, called a Slugging Ratchet.

Someone recently asked me "What could you possibly use a 2 pound sledge for?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
Why spend $50/size when you could just hit a normal wrench?

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
Nothing to see here!

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Shaocaholica posted:

Nice 'custom' toolbox thats not humongous?

I'm trying to build a nice set of portable tools and I want a nice box/bag to put them in and keep them organized without just throwing all of them into a bag loose. Does anyone make something that can do this with customizable pockets or compartments?

I know thats a really specific thing but I figure I'd ask and get some options.

What I don't want is a box for more boxes inside. The easier I can get at something the better. I don't want to build a neat but annoying russian doll type rig.

Edit: Oh this might work if it were a wee bit smaller

http://www.pelican.com/cases_detail.php?Case=0450

Its a great case, but have you priced it? If money wasn't an issue, I'd own one.

As for the foam, you can get the blank sheets, and cut it yourself. You can't do pick 'n' pluck with that case, at least not easily.

KaiserBen
Aug 11, 2007

pazrs posted:

They're also known as 'Floggers' in Australia and the UK anyway. Really common in the marine world, ships and platforms.

That said, I have never really seen many that small nor have I ever seen them double-hex.

Quite common in industrial facilities as well, though the smallest I've seen there was ~4", and the "hammer" was, often as not, an I-beam swinging from a crane (having a 2-400 ton gantry crane constantly available makes people rather inventive)

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

sharkytm posted:

You can't do pick 'n' pluck with that case, at least not easily.

Why not? You can get it in sheets of varying heights.

zifflol
Apr 27, 2004

pazrs posted:

They're also known as 'Floggers' in Australia and the UK anyway. Really common in the marine world, ships and platforms.

The technical term for these are "analog impact wrenches"

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

sharkytm posted:

Its a great case, but have you priced it? If money wasn't an issue, I'd own one.

As for the foam, you can get the blank sheets, and cut it yourself. You can't do pick 'n' pluck with that case, at least not easily.

It's a little over €1000 over here... and I definately want one.

Could you post a link or two for that pluck'n'pull foam you were talking about...?

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao
$170 for a 24" long 1/2" flex head ratchet + 10-19mm deep socket set from Mac? I think I'm gonna go for it.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Breast Pussy posted:

$170 for a 24" long 1/2" flex head ratchet + 10-19mm deep socket set from Mac? I think I'm gonna go for it.

Where? \/\/\/ Thanks. I figured, but didn't know if it was online. That's a good price.

And the foam, at a reasonable price ( not from pelican)
http://www.thefoamfactory.com/packagingfoam/picknpluckcr.html
Limited sizes, but great stuff.

We buy about ten pelican cases a year, and i do all the foam cutting.

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jun 24, 2011

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

sharkytm posted:

Where?

And the foam, at a reasonable price ( not from pelican)
http://www.thefoamfactory.com/packagingfoam/picknpluckcr.html
Limited sizes, but great stuff.

We buy about ten pelican cases a year, and i do all the foam cutting.

Off the truck, its in the latest little specials catalog. Vol 7, 2011. 6/20/2011-7/17/2011

Bank
Feb 20, 2004

blargle posted:

Just got the Arcan XL35R 3.5 ton jack at costco for $99, very impressed with how heavy duty it is. And I mean that literally, it weighs 101 lbs.
I have one of these and it's basically awesome. I once lost all my confidence in lifting cars onto jack stands (I once had the car fall and destroy a fender liner; nothing worse thank goodness), and this floor jack brought my confidence all back to life again. Threw out my old Wal-Mart floor jack like no tomorrow.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
A cheap $10 mister hose thing and a $20 fan turns into a pretty nice ghetto air conditioner.

It's actually hot and dry enough in AZ that it makes an enormous difference and means I can actually do some work during the day now.

Ugh.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Will this HF electric impact wrench kill me if I use it to take the lugnuts off my tires?
http://www.harborfreight.com/12-electric-impact-wrench-68099.html

I don't have an air compressor, so an inexpensive electric impact wrench would be really nice.

The HF store is near a bunch of pawnshops, so I might cruise those, too, to snag one on the cheap. Good idea / bad idea?

RapeWhistle
May 26, 2009

QuarkMartial posted:

Will this HF electric impact wrench kill me if I use it to take the lugnuts off my tires?

I don't have an air compressor, so an inexpensive electric impact wrench would be really nice.

The HF store is near a bunch of pawnshops, so I might cruise those, too, to snag one on the cheap. Good idea / bad idea?

It's been stated numerous times in this thread that anything electric or battery powered sold by HF is pretty terrible. However, I have had good luck with their heat gun. :)

I would spring for a nice one, like a Makita. It's a very good tool to have around.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
Do any of you have any experience with ratcheting open ended wrenches? I replaced a steering rack the other day and if the ROEWs work they could have made the job easier.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

RapeWhistle posted:

It's been stated numerous times in this thread that anything electric or battery powered sold by HF is pretty terrible. However, I have had good luck with their heat gun. :)

I would spring for a nice one, like a Makita. It's a very good tool to have around.

Sorry. Anyway, my brother-in-law said he's got an electric wrench, so crisis averted.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

PBCrunch posted:

Do any of you have any experience with ratcheting open ended wrenches? I replaced a steering rack the other day and if the ROEWs work they could have made the job easier.

I've used them a few times, but I really don't feel like they bite well, and always worry about munging up wrench flats.

I try to use my gear wrenches in situations like that if at all possible.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

QuarkMartial posted:

I have one, I just upgraded to a better brand. It works well, but the DeWalt is just better. But at the time for the cash I had, it got me by. It has 345 pounds of tourqe, which is close enough to air guns.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...ocStoreNum=2107

This is the one I now own. I don't own a big gently caress off compressor (yet). This tool though really has lessened the immediate need for a large compressor. Plus I still have yet to get my 220 volt outlets to my garage, and that will cost me more than what the impact gun cost me. If I could go back, I would just have bought the HF impact sockets instead of craftsman, spent the money on the better gun.

Edit: What I mean by close enough to air wrenches, is its enough to get you a taste of impact gun greatness with out having to dish out. It doesn't have quite the power of air but good enough to get by.

BrokenKnucklez fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jun 25, 2011

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine

PBCrunch posted:

I bought two sets with Christmas money two years back. They require more concentration to use to get a solid hook up. Forget about using them on worn heads. For certain applications, they're great.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

QuarkMartial posted:

I own that one and use the poo poo out of it. Bought it to do the heavy lifting when I replaced my exhaust since I didn't have an air source. Since then I've used it a lot and it's great. the downside is that it's incredibly loud. Wear ear protection, that poo poo is not a joke. It's not so bad outside but in a 1-car garage it's stunning.

I'm pretty sure that the tradeoff is sound on this one, though. Sometimes with HF the tradeoff is cheap = crappy materials, sometimes it's cheap = bad solder and so on, in this case it does good work but goddamn is it loud.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

PBCrunch posted:

I have an 8-19mm set of Stanley Expert ratcheting wrenches with a ratcheting open end and closed ratchet on the other. The open ends bite well but I rarely use them since the closed end works even better if you have the space to get it over the nut. Personally if you can get a closed end ratcheting wrench in somewhere I'd recommend it along with a set of normal wrenches.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

zifflol posted:

The technical term for these are "analog impact wrenches"
I own two three-pound hammers -- a short-handled drilling hammer, and a long-handled engineer hammer. They're more useful than you'd think.

In completely unrelated news, I need to take my craftsman ratchets in and get replacements -- the half-inch is kind of sloppy, and the 3/8" I have to hold the lever to the appropriate side with my thumb in order for it to catch.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
The main thing I wanted to use the ROEWs for was for line nuts that have been loosened with a line wrench but are not loose enough to undo with my fingers (and then putting them back on most of the way). I try to avoid using a pliers even though that usually works pretty well.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
Anything that will help pull hardwood flooring out other than a hammer and a pry bar? The old owners put in square hardwood flooring (four 6" small strips of hardwood that form a square, which are nailed down with 16 nails).

It took me about three hours to pull out 100 square feet of the stuff with a pry bar and a 3 lb hammer. I use the pry bar to get to the edge, then hammer it in to pry it out. I'd rather not rent machines to rip it out (cost and subfloor concerns), I just want to know if there's a smarter way to do this. I will likely need to buy a new pry bar in another 2-300 square feet as the hammer is obliterating it.

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
JARED NUMBERS: BACK IN ACTION
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100678308/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

I did the cats-paw + prybar thing for half of my kitchen sub-floor (was still another layer of sub-floor underneath that), then my neighbor suggested I use this (he had one) and the job suddenly went much faster. There's a warranty if you manage to break it too (just take it back to Home Depot).

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
Thanks, I'll check it out in the store. The only thing I'm worried about is messing up the tool, so I'll take your word that it can take out hardwood easily.

Sorry folks I just noticed this was in AI and not DIY..

PeaceFrog
Jul 27, 2004
you'll shoot your eye out.
That isn't the right tool. I have one similar and the blade bends when prying.

I wouldn't use a 3lb sledge for that job either. I would use a normal flat bar, larger wrecking bar and a straight claw hammer. Work the flatbar in with the hammer, prying the square a bit, then work the large bar in to hopefully work the whole square up. You can also use the claw on the hammer to help you work it up to make room for the big one. If you are ruining a bar, you are pounding to much, and not using enough levers.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
Thanks, I have those tools already, but perhaps I should switch to a smaller hammer. It's just so easy to utilize the leverage of a 3lb sledge :(

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
gently caress that. "Use a smaller hammer" is never a good answer. Use a bigger [thing you hit with the hammer].

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

My trick to getting out wood floors is to hit it with a skilsaw first to cut it into long strips perpendicular to the long axis of the wooden pieces that comprise the floor. This means I'm left with a floor that looks like this:
code:
____  ____  ____  ____  ____  ____
____||____||____||____||____||____
Lots of nice little 6" or less chunks that are no longer locked in to anything except the piece behind it.

It sounds like your floor is made out of smaller pieces, so it may not be necessary, but something to think about.

I then take a heavy claw hammer and stick the claws under the long edge of the wood, and lever up. Depending on the tenacity of the nails/glue, another whack with the hammer may be necessary to completely liberate the piece from the floor. I do this while walking backwards over the floor that still exists, so I'm swinging down between my feet. Once you get in your rhythm, it's just: swing, stick, pull, whack, repeat.

Wombot fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jun 28, 2011

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Lowclock posted:

A cheap $10 mister hose thing and a $20 fan turns into a pretty nice ghetto air conditioner.

It's actually hot and dry enough in AZ that it makes an enormous difference and means I can actually do some work during the day now.

Ugh.

I need to change the oil, serpentine belt, and headlight on my MS3 this week. I'm so loving doing that.

joehein
Nov 11, 2010
sooo this showed up the other day with a couple boxes of fixins :D

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Wombot posted:

My trick to getting out wood floors is to hit it with a skilsaw first to cut it into long strips perpendicular to the long axis of the wooden pieces that comprise the floor. This means I'm left with a floor that looks like this:

*Just make sure you have the depth set properly on the saw!

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Man that Snap-On box look nice. How much, how heavy, and how come not red?

joehein
Nov 11, 2010

bolind posted:

Man that Snap-On box look nice. How much, how heavy, and how come not red?

well student discount got it to me for half off, but im still paying 2 grand for it. total shipping weight was 497 pounds which me and a buddy managed to lift into a truck bed, and i picked white because nobody else has white and i figured it would look nice. all in all im pretty drat happy with the tools.

Duke Thompson
Jul 24, 2007
Can someone make a recommendation on a good impact socket set? I am looking for a set that has both 1/2" and 3/8" drive with metric and standard sizes.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

Duke Thompson posted:

Can someone make a recommendation on a good impact socket set? I am looking for a set that has both 1/2" and 3/8" drive with metric and standard sizes.

I'd probably just pick up whatever Harbor Freight has... I have one set from them for large (3/4") sockets in metric for odd nuts and bolts. My normal size (1/2") are Stanley brand from Walmart and they work just fine but don't see much use other than lug nuts.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004

Splizwarf posted:

gently caress that. "Use a smaller hammer" is never a good answer. Use a bigger [thing you hit with the hammer].
This man speaks the truth.

I went to Home Depot to look for a nice pry bar I could use with my sledge, but they were all crap and looked like they could break after the first hit. I then found a masonry chisel, and it was perfect. Hard steel, and made to be hit with a hammer. The entire bottom part was flat, even the handle, and laid perfectly parallel to the floor.

It's a hell of a lot louder, but whatever, I will get this done in 20% of the time, and it feels drat good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Drunk Pledge Driver posted:

I'd probably just pick up whatever Harbor Freight has...

Seconding this. HF's sockets are pretty high quality, the only issue I have with them is they don't come with a nice plastic carrying case like they used to and the size isn't stamped/etched onto the socket and can be rubbed off.

Also, is there any reason you need 3/8 drive impact sockets...? I would just buy the 1/2" drive set. HF also sells individual sockets now so if there's a specific size you need that doesn't come in the 1/2" set you could just buy the single socket v0v

Geoj fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jun 28, 2011