Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

ElectricSheep posted:

You're not far off. The imagery is intentionally evocative of everything you think of when you think of the word "Magnum" (condom not gun).

You're a loon. A woman is on the screen, so that's a condom reference?

"Magnum" is Latin, meaning "great". It's a good generic brand name and a fair few things use it as such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

If you think there's no consciously arranged sexual subtext to that commercial, you've lost the media analysis game.

Also, I feel like I was just complaining about this, but there are even more pony banners now.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Doc Hawkins posted:

If you think there's no consciously arranged sexual subtext to that commercial, you've lost the media analysis game.

Also, I feel like I was just complaining about this, but there are even more pony banners now.

Doy. It has nothing to do with condoms, however. It's just the old standby of "women have a sexual attraction to chocolate". Saying that it's meant to make you think about condoms is insane.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Superrodan posted:

These are both fantastic.

An "ads you love" thread would be even better than an "ads you hate" thread but there might not be enough content.

It's been tried a couple times and died pretty fast

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Android Blues posted:

Doy. It has nothing to do with condoms, however. It's just the old standby of "women have a sexual attraction to chocolate". Saying that it's meant to make you think about condoms is insane.

Ah, sorry, I misunderstood. But Magnum also means large or big, condoms are one of the cases where that usage is common (can't think of a common modern case where it means "grand" or "impressive, actually), and the lady puts a big chocolate cock in her mouth, so it seems like a reasonable leap to me.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Yeah, I suppose I should've clarified

ElectricSheep posted:

You're not far off. The imagery is intentionally evocative of everything you think of when you think of the word "Magnum" (condom not gun).

that I didn't mean condoms specifically a little better, but the fact of the matter is that the commercial's about as subtle with its sexual imagery as an Axe ad.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUxU4aRdhWE

This one annoys me because it is trying to annoy me with the waitress.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

gently caress those hipsters, that waitress rules.

Wait...hot pockets is going for the cool crowd?!

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

DJExile posted:

It's been tried a couple times and died pretty fast

Not due to a lack of applicable content, but mainly due to people ignoring it and posting the good ads here anyway.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."

Doc Hawkins posted:

Have you seen the new Miracle Whip packaging? Its just a big rear end MW and made to look like it was hand written.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Doc Hawkins posted:

Worked for PBR.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Evek posted:

Have you seen the new Miracle Whip packaging? Its just a big rear end MW and made to look like it was hand written.

I hate the attempt to make MW extreme. "Mayonnaise? That poo poo is for pussies. Miracle whip is EXTREME and WE WILL NOT BACK DOWN!"

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Extreme or hipster: you be the judge.

e: to be fair, the too-cool-for-school demographic has been targeted by advertisements for worse things than mayonnaise-replacements.

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jun 27, 2011

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Doc Hawkins posted:

Extreme or hipster: you be the judge.

loving awful. If your ad needs to show us some scruffy fatass chewing with his mouth open, mayo (or whatever MW is) all over his lips and beard, something has gone horribly wrong.

E: Holy poo poo they have one with James Carville :stare:

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I've always hated luxury car commercials even more than I hate most commercials, but this new one I've been seeing between breaks on Into the Wormhole sets a new standard. Some guy describes the car as "aggression, in its most elegant form". It's like they put a thousand douchebags at a thousand typewriters and picked out the worst line any of them came up with. The fact that it's being read by luxury-car-voiceover-guy just makes it worse.

I just want to watch Freckles talk about space, don't subject me to this, science channel.

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jun 27, 2011

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
My favorite ads are for Mercedes or BMW, especially the ones that talk about financing. I like to imagine that if you call either one for a financing deal, all you get is a recorded message in a terse German-accented voice saying that if you need to finance one of these cars, you clearly cannot afford to have one. Thank you, and good day.

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
This is the stuff of nightmares.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9ysBe2iaOo&feature=related

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
It's not on youtube yet I don't think, but there is a commercial for the Family Guy Star Wars Episode 3 DVDs and Blu-Ray and it has this noise in it and I don't know why but the noise frightens me. It's really unsettling. Like my heart rate genuinely goes up and I get all tense until the commercial goes away.

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

skaboomizzy posted:

My favorite ads are for Mercedes or BMW, especially the ones that talk about financing. I like to imagine that if you call either one for a financing deal, all you get is a recorded message in a terse German-accented voice saying that if you need to finance one of these cars, you clearly cannot afford to have one. Thank you, and good day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Tq2-yFU9_M

I dunno, this BMW commercial had me really, REALLY wanting one by the end there...

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

The Moon Monster posted:

I've always hated luxury car commercials even more than I hate most commercials, but this new one I've been seeing between breaks on Into the Wormhole sets a new standard. Some guy describes the car as "aggression, in its most elegant form". It's like they put a thousand douchebags at a thousand typewriters and picked out the worst line any of them came up with. The fact that it's being read by luxury-car-voiceover-guy just makes it worse.

I just want to watch Freckles talk about space, don't subject me to this, science channel.

There's one for, I think Infiniti, where the guy goes on about "have you seen blah blah blah in a luxury car before? Of course you haven't, because its in our car :smug:" Makes me want to punch the TV.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.

eggsovereasy posted:

I kind of want to punch this kid:

Tell me this kid is not like, 28.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Palmtree Panic posted:

This is the stuff of nightmares.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9ysBe2iaOo&feature=related
The Joker: Year One

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION

FlamingLiberal posted:

The Joker: Year One

"Do you want to know how I got this smile?
My father was... a homemaker, and one night he goes and stirs up a bowl of pudding, laughing while he does it, and he turns to me with the wooden spoon and says "Why so serious?""

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I haven't decided what side of the question this falls under, but Rob Zombie directed a Woolite commercial.

http://www.movieline.com/2011/06/video-rob-zombie-directed-a-commercial-for-woolite-obviously.php

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

bull3964 posted:

I haven't decided what side of the question this falls under, but Rob Zombie directed a Woolite commercial.

http://www.movieline.com/2011/06/video-rob-zombie-directed-a-commercial-for-woolite-obviously.php

hahahahaha that's great

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

bull3964 posted:

Is that ever going to air on TV, or is it an online-only thing? Woolite doesn't seem like the kind of company to actually air that, and most of people who buy Woolite aren't the kind of people to enjoy that, either.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Highlander kid, the one he grew up into, pudding face and his friend, fat MW guy and a bunch of others all are making me think that one long ongoing failure in marketing/advertising might have led to their existence.

And that failure being that, the fucksticks that do marketing for supercuts and wahl clippers didn't try hard enough and led us to this. gently caress you guys. Give us a commercial that works, highlander kid would be perfect for the part. Marine corps dad with his knee in highlander kid's back holding him to the ground while he wahl-buzzes that poo poo off his head.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jun 27, 2011

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It's really sad to me that Joe Pesci is doing Snickers commercials now, rather than doing some real acting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ys0cmMiW6bI

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's really sad to me that Joe Pesci is doing Snickers commercials now, rather than doing some real acting.

It's funnier than hell though.

Also can anyone confirm or deny the supposed law we hear about in radio ads for work-from-home places where they say things like "I made more money than I'm allowed to mention here!"

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

DJExile posted:

Also can anyone confirm or deny the supposed law we hear about in radio ads for work-from-home places where they say things like "I made more money than I'm allowed to mention here!"

I can't imagine it's for any other reason than avoiding a "results not typical" disclaimer

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Something occurs to me about that Trojan vibrator ad. They're having a bridal show and giving her the vibrators as gifts. They say, "it'll really blow your hair back." The three women gifting the vibrators have their hair blown back.

Are they giving her used vibrators?

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

I'd like to think they were actually using their vibrators as they were giving the gifts.

In my mind that makes the commercial a little interesting

TheShadowAvatar
Nov 25, 2004

Ain't Nothing But A Family Thing

FlamingLiberal posted:

Don Rickles and Joe Pesci in the commercial? That's in the wrong thread.

MailboxFullOfBombs
Nov 1, 2010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IawMRO8Uouk

Just saw this, it makes me inexplicably angry. "You know what else I'm god of? Awesome."

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Athenry posted:

There's one for, I think Infiniti, where the guy goes on about "have you seen blah blah blah in a luxury car before? Of course you haven't, because its in our car :smug:" Makes me want to punch the TV.

There's one that really bugs me lately, "The inspiration for its shape, was an archer drawing his bow" because I can't help but wonder how the gently caress you can build a car around a guy using a weapon from antiquity, and even then the whole thing is so incidental to the car itself that I really can't see the point.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

DJExile posted:

It's funnier than hell though.

IANAL but I'm willing to bet that there isn't even a law behind it, and they just want you to assume that the deals are SO GOOD that the government won't let them advertise them!

I mean, I hear a mattress store say things like "DISCOUNTS SO DEEP WE CAN'T ADVERTISE THEM!!!", so it can't be... true... can it?

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Mo0 posted:

I mean, I hear a mattress store say things like "DISCOUNTS SO DEEP WE CAN'T ADVERTISE THEM!!!", so it can't be... true... can it?

There's no law against any of that but some companies forbid retailers from advertising prices below a certain level, under penalty of getting their sales agreement yanked. So if Mattress Riot wants to keep selling Serta or whatever, they'll play along.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Mo0 posted:

IANAL but I'm willing to bet that there isn't even a law behind it, and they just want you to assume that the deals are SO GOOD that the government won't let them advertise them!

The company I work for does online ads, mostly for grocery stores but we have a few other customers.

Menards is a hardware store. A lot of their stuff says "priced too low to advertise!" in their ad because right now we only do one general version for them. They're adding on a bunch of services with us, which means we will get specific versions for specific regions now, which means there will actually be prices and they'll be different everywhere.

So in their case they don't want to mention a price in the general ad because they want to sell a drill for $100 at one location and $150 at another, or whatever.

The price differences from region to region amaze me, really. I've seen up to a $1200 gap between one area and another on a furniture room group with another one of our customers.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

MailboxFullOfBombs posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IawMRO8Uouk

Just saw this, it makes me inexplicably angry. "You know what else I'm god of? Awesome."

If that was really Zeus he would've made a king gently caress the car, just for laughs. The car then gives birth to a Sciotaur, and the king has to building an elaborate parking garage under his castle to house it. And he feeds people to the Sciotaur.

Look, Greek myth is weird, okay?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tegan and Sankara
May 4, 2009

Not sure if people will agree with me on this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKe2YGz42pU

I just hate adverts that do the "this product will bring the world/community together!". T-mobile ads did this a lot too, but somehow its even more annoying when they're making kids hawk it as well. I can't tell if Shane Meadows directing it makes it even worse.